Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

There's no need to answer ALL the questions we have, that is a bit far fetched even for a Led Head like myself.

Why not try to answer all the questions if someone has the time and inclination to do so? As a Led-Head I've learned a lot about the band here from many....old timers and newbies alike. Who decides what is far-fetched anyway? I'm sure you didn't mean that in the condescending way it came across.

I agree with you but this forum does afford interested parties an opportunity to at least ask so that we can explore the topic further if not arrive at an answer.

I agree with you on this one Steve A. Jones. Welcome back.

• 2 weeks later...

Knebby,

Many thanks for the information! In lieu of the ticket stub you've still provided me some

additional leads by sharing the names of others who were there and may recall it or

said something along the way in the UK press. It's good to hear there may be a newsclip from the royal reception that could shed more light on that event. In the mid-80s Jimmy kept two photos displayed side by side in his living room; one of him with Prince Charles and the the other of him with Lady Diana. If I had to guess I'd say they were taken at

that reception for British rockers but I'm seeking to confirm it.

I am not writing a book at the moment, though many have encouraged me to do so.

In this digital age a book may not be the best way to share Led Zeppelin's legacy. Sam has launched this incredible website, for example, but clearly could have done a book as well. So, in closing, I'd say that right now I'm still just on a quest for more knowledge. If I ever do get books together I'd hope to emulate Peter Guralnick's 'Elvis Last Train to Memphis' or Bill Wyman's 'Rolling With The Stones'.

I suppose there are those who view this as mere trivia, and I won't argue the point,

but this thread is just getting started. Who knows what mysteries are to come. I'm

hoping others will post their unsolved Zeppelin mysteries in this thread too.

Yours Sincerely,

Steve A. Jones

Hi Steve.

You mention Jimmy having two photos in his living room, one of Charles, the other of Diana and himself, in the mid 1980's, could you tell me which house you are referring to.

Thank you.

ZISH.

Yes.

Cancelled in late February by venue owner David Rupp when promoter (CCC) couldn't provide sufficient financing to meet contractural obligations (a parking lot).

That's no excuse to cancel a show. Couldn't they have just had JPJ valet park all those cars up the street?

That's no excuse to cancel a show. Couldn't they have just had JPJ valet park all those cars up the street?

I appreciate the humor. Come to think of it JPJ had fractured ribs at the time. Robert alluded to it onstage in Dallas on March 4, 1975. I don't think it's ever been disclosed how the injury occured.

Could the rib injury have been from horseback riding?

Possibly, but aside from the fantasy segment in TSRTS I don't think he did much horse riding and so far as I know he never suggested he had gotten hurt during that filming. We could speculate all day but it's best to let JPJ share with us how it happened if he chooses.

Well, it looks like pretty vigorous stuff, if he was imitating this?

For his fantasy sequence, Jones initially wished to use footage from the original Doctor Syn film, but was prevented from doing so as this film was owned by Disney. Instead, his fantasy sequence involved a reinterpretation of the film. In any event, given fractured ribs heal in six to eight weeks the fantasy sequence is unlikely to account for his having fractured ribs in March 1975.

I appreciate the humor. Come to think of it JPJ had fractured ribs at the time. Robert alluded to it onstage in Dallas on March 4, 1975. I don't think it's ever been disclosed how the injury occured.

I thought the "fractured ribs" show was in May '73 in Dallas?

I thought the "fractured ribs" show was in May '73 in Dallas?

According to Led Zeppelin The Concert File, the ribs injury was indeed May 18, 1973, with a "remarkably quick recovery" by the next night. Good memory Walter.

According to Led Zeppelin The Concert File, the ribs injury was indeed May 18, 1973, with a "remarkably quick recovery" by the next night. Good memory Walter.

I however should never post from my memory as I did. Apologies!

FracturedRibs-1.jpg

Fractured Ribs (2 LP)

fracturedribs.jpg

Fractured Ribs (CD)

Edited by SteveAJones

So the rib injury and filming of JPJ's fantasy sequence did both happen in '73. What if someone were savvy enough to mesh the Disney scarecrow footage into the No Quarter live footage, as he originally wished for? Surely, that would lure him to visit here, and share a bit?

So the rib injury and filming of JPJ's fantasy sequence did both happen in '73. What if someone were savvy enough to mesh the Disney scarecrow footage into the No Quarter live footage, as he originally wished for? Surely, that would lure him to visit here, and share a bit?

Just to be clear, the fractured ribs Robert alluded to in Dallas on May 18, 1973 preceeded the filming of JPJ's fantasy sequence by several months.

Having said that, I think it would be awesome if someone out there would incorporate the Disney footage into JPJ's fantasy sequence as intended.

Just to be clear, the fractured ribs Robert alluded to in Dallas on May 18, 1973 preceeded the filming of JPJ's fantasy sequence by several months.

Having said that, I think it would be awesome if someone out there would incorporate the Disney footage into JPJ's fantasy sequence as intended.

Oh man, I could beat this like the original scarecrow's horse (JPJ's secret equestrian practice sessions?) - but you're so with my plan, Steve, that those other 2 years are water well under the bridge.

Pictures At Eleven:

Like I've Never Been Gone - Sep 20, 1983, The Summit, Houston Texas

The Principle Of The Moment:

In The Mood - Sep 20, 1983, The Summit, Houston Texas

Thru' With The Two Step - Sep 20, 1983, The Summit, Houston Texas

Lively Up Yourself - Sep 20, 1983, The Summit, Houston Texas

The Honeydrippers:

Rockin' At Midnight - Sep 8, 1985, Birmingham NEC

Now And Zen:

Billy's Revenge - Nov 1, 1990, Universal Amphitheater, LA, California

Ship Of Fools - Dec 20, 1993, Paradiso Club, Amsterdam, Holland

Tall Cool One - Nov 1, 1990, Universal Amphitheater, LA, California

Popping the Cork on Jimmy Page / Jeff Martin Project ?

Last month in this thread we examined more closely Jimmy Page's personal connections to Ireland. Today I received this from Richard Allcock via For Badgeholders Only, The Led Zeppelin Mailing List:

Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010

Subject: (potentially) interesting find - Jam session.........

Hi All,

OK, story time. Today's story comes from a young man I work with in Perth, Western Australia, who happens to have impeccable connections to the Perth music scene (It's a small, inbred place!). I have no reason to doubt his motives in telling me the story, but maybe we can do some fact-checking with the assistance of the list and who knows, maybe I'll be able to source a completely unknown, unheard recording. Ok, to the story.

Former Tea Party frontman Jeff Martin, spends a fair bit of time here in Perth because he married a local. He's forged links in the local music scene and is a huge Page fan, to point of name his son Django James Patrick. My young colleague tells me that in conversation recently with some Perth musos, someone played him a recording of a semi-acoustic track that sounded "amazing". When he asked who it was, he was told it was Jeff Martin, recorded in Ireland (where Martin maintains a studio), WITH JIMMY PAGE. Someone had apparently noticed this "old, grey-haired bloke, hanging around the house" and later asked Martin about the music he'd heard and Martin apparently told him it was Page. He then gave the guy a recording - I presume this might be a recording engineer who travels between Perth and Ireland with Jeff Martin. Anyway, my colleague claims to have heard this track (and makes no claim that he thinks its Page - he says he wouldn't know how to tell, which is very honest of him). He's going to go back to the guy and ask if there's any chance of a copy. Who knows. I'll post again if anything comes of it.

1. Can anyone reliably place Page in Ireland in the last 2 years. The song was apparently recorded in that period. I'm going to try and narrow the timing down.

2. Whilst Jeff Martin is a huge Page fan, can anyone point to any interaction between them? Didn't the Tea Party open for Page/Plant in the 90s in Canada?? Anyone know anything more recent than that.

Richard

-------------------------------------------

To which I replied:

I show Jimmy's last confirmed public appearance in Ireland was Oct 6, 2005. He opened a William Burges exhibition called "Conserving the Dream - Treasures of St. Fin Barre's Catheral" in Cork. However, I will forward a private email to you reporting a more recent unconfirmed citing in Cork.

Jef Martin was indeed living in Cork Ireland in October 2005, he had a small studio setup, and he had a significant number of sitars, and guitars there with him

• 2 weeks later...

Claude Nobs has a Montreux Jazz Festival audio/video archive on par with Bill Graham's (Wolfgang's Vault). He may have recorded JPJ's set with Etta James (7/11/75) as well as Count Basie and His Orchestra (7/19/75) which JPJ took Bonzo to see. Robert's gig in '93 was telecast but the pro-shot Page/Plant (6/29/01) and Tribute to Ahmet Ertegun remain unreleased.

From the New Etta James - Live At Montreux 1975-1993 Blu-ray/DVD. The 1975 portion is 43 minutes long and includes the tracks, Respect Yourself, Drown In My Own Tears, W.O.M.A.N., and I'd Rather Go Blind. Lossless audio, 2 tracks, DTS MA and LPCM stereo.

This JPJ performance has been on my Holy Grail list for decades. God bless Claude Nobs and all those responsible for it's official release.

:thumbsup:

From the New Etta James - Live At Montreux 1975-1993 Blu-ray/DVD. The 1975 portion is 43 minutes long and includes the tracks, Respect Yourself, Drown In My Own Tears, W.O.M.A.N., and I'd Rather Go Blind. Lossless audio, 2 tracks, DTS MA and LPCM stereo.

This JPJ performance has been on my Holy Grail list for decades. God bless Claude Nobs and all those responsible for it's official release.

:thumbsup:

Steve, this is great. Guess you know what DVD I'll be buying next!!