Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

I think I read somewhere that the Heartbreaker video footage from RAH was either damaged or not taken due to a technical difficulty....

The AUDIO from Heartbreaker is incomplete, because the recording tape ran out in the middle of the song (a shame, since the approx. 3-1/2 minutes that does exist, is amazing).

As for the VIDEO (or, I should say film), that's another story. They used multiple cameras, and AFAIK at least one camera angle exists for nearly every moment of the whole show, including Heartbreaker.

19750214AnnArborSunAnnArborMI_zpse4b9d24f.jpg

The Ann Arbor Sun (Ann Arbor, MI), February 14, 1975

Cash me In? (he really meant Sick Again). Wonder how he came up with this title? After all, the song's name doesn't appear anywhere in the lyrics, and Robert usually didn't introduce the song's title when he finished and welcomed the audience for the first time throughout the '75 tour.

Can't completely bash the review though, after all, Jimmy is swigging from the Jack Daniels bottle in the infamous back stage photo from this show! And we know Robert's voice was shot from the flu. More surprising would be JPJ and Bonzo not performing up to par. Then again, I haven't heard this show, so maybe it was bad.

He is referring to Kashmir. Cash-me-in / Kash-mir. They played it before No Quarter.

Edited by Cookie0024

The AUDIO from Heartbreaker is incomplete, because the recording tape ran out in the middle of the song (a shame, since the approx. 3-1/2 minutes that does exist, is amazing).

As for the VIDEO (or, I should say film), that's another story. They used multiple cameras, and AFAIK at least one camera angle exists for nearly every moment of the whole show, including Heartbreaker.

cheers, thanks for clarifying...

The official timeline entry for Led Zeppelin's January 31, 1975 concert at Olympia in Detroit does not include any newspaper reviews,

and I was not aware of any in existence until today. However, here's my latest finding and though it is a negative review it is a review nonetheless:

19750214AnnArborSunAnnArborMI_zpse4b9d24f.jpg

The Ann Arbor Sun (Ann Arbor, MI), February 14, 1975

Perhaps worth noting there is an excellent, positive feature on this concert published in the April 1975 issue of Creem magazine, a Detroit-based publication sold nationally for many years. The article, 'Led Zep Zip Through Motown', was written by Jaan Uhelski.

Another review for this date posted over at RO.

Edited by thozil

...assistance requested...

Robert Plant 1988 Press Conference (Toronto)

Seeking confirmation of the exact date Robert held a press conference at The Four Seasons hotel in Toronto. It was almost certainly sometime between Feb 23 & Mar 1 1988. Also seeking confirmation the original air date for this program is March 1, 1988:

Robert Plant 1988 Press Conference (Montreal)

The Montreal press conference was held the afternoon of Feb 28,1988, after Robert arrived in town a few hours prior. Seeking confirmation of where it was held and the original air date for this program:

Robert Plant 1990 Manic Nirvana Release Party

Seeking confirmation Ahmet Ertegun hosted a Manic Nirvana release party for Robert at Nirvana in NYC. Need the exact date. If it wasn't in March 1990 it was almost certainly in July 1990.

Edited by SteveAJones

Robert Plant 1988 Press Conference (Toronto)

Seeking confirmation of the exact date Robert held a press conference at The Four Seasons hotel in Toronto. It was almost certainly sometime between Feb 23 & Mar 1 1988.

Based on this excerpt from a Toronto Star article he gave interview(s) on March 1st, so I would guess the press conference was the same day...maybe the conference was the "interview"...

Plant's ready to howl again

Greg Quill Toronto Star 02 Mar 1988

"I wrote the words, I wrote the melodies and I sang the songs. Where's my problem? If everyone else can get into the Led Zeppelin thing, why can't I?" Robert Plant must have asked himself these questions long before he started work on Now And Zen, his fourth solo album and the one that clearly links him to the British progressive blues-rock band that made him famous in the early 1970s.

Plant will perform in Toronto in mid-May with a new band that, he believes, isn't intimidated by Led Zeppelin's weighty reputation. And he'll perform Led Zeppelin songs in concert for the first time since 1980. During an interview in Toronto yesterday, the 40-year-old singer asked himself those same questions again, as if daring us to remind him that for the seven years since Led Zeppelin's demise he has been trying quite passionately to distance himself from his loud, electric past.

Based on this excerpt from a Toronto Star article he gave interview(s) on March 1st, so I would guess the press conference was the same day...maybe the conference was the "interview"...

Quill states that the press conference was March 1st, in that article. If you want more details Greg is easy enough to find and very nice, I'm sure he'd chat with you.

Many thanks to thozil and shadecatcher for the details. I'm pleased to report the source for the YouTube videos above is very receptive to releasing additional features soon.

Edited by SteveAJones

clipboard01tw.jpg

http://books.google....rdbirds&f=false

John Paul Jones and the American Navy?????

Jimmy performed with The Yardbirds at the Hullabaloo in Mentor, Ohio on Sun, May 5, 1968. I don't show an opening act, so if Jimmy Fox is correct it would seem John Paul Jones and the American Navy as well as The James Gang opened for them. However, the author is incorrect to assert this has anything to do with John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin. It doesn't, as he was working in London on average six to seven days a week, two sessions daily, twenty to thirty sessions monthly. In fact, the month prior he and Jimmy Page had worked with Donovan on 'Hurdy Gurdy Man'. Jones also provided bass for Donovan's 'Teen Angel' .

Aside from all of that, I don't think JPJ of Led Zeppelin had ever been to the United States prior to arriving with his wife and the band at Newark Airport on Dec 23, 1968. The two spent Christmas with Madelaine Bell's parents as the rest of the entourage continued on to Denver to await the first night of the tour - December 26, 1968.

Edited by SteveAJones

Jimmy performed with The Yardbirds at the Hullabaloo in Mentor, Ohio on Sun, May 5, 1968. I don't show an opening act, so if Jimmy Fox is correct it would seem John Paul Jones and the American Navy as well as The James Gang opened for them. However, the author is incorrect to assert this has anything to do with John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin. It doesn't, as he was working in London on average six to seven days a week, two sessions daily, twenty to thirty sessions monthly. In fact, the month prior he and Jimmy Page had worked with Donovan on 'Hurdy Gurdy Man'. Jones also provided bass for Donovan's 'Teen Angel' .

Aside from all of that, I don't think JPJ of Led Zeppelin had ever been to the United States prior to arriving with his wife and the band at Newark Airport on Dec 23, 1968. The two spent Christmas with Madelaine Bell's parents as the rest of the entourage continued on to Denver to await the first night of the tour - December 26, 1968.

This is wild. I remember the Hullabaloos - they were a small chain of unlicensed clubs for the 13- 20 (underage) crowd with live local and touring bands. We were just old enough to get in. No seating, all dance and viewing floor, black walls. We used to see the James Gang all the time but can't recall if we saw the Yardbirds there. Jimmy Fox's day job was at a downtown record store, the place to go for new releases, and I remember him telling us about his new band - The James Gang. I seem to recall seeing Bad Company at a Cleveland club called The Agora in '73, but not sure that is possible given they'd only just formed then.

What show is that?

Bath 1970

This is a great behind the scenes interview/article on Corbin's FindingZoso blog about Zep at Bath Festival 69 & 70. (Interview of Freddy & Wendy Bannister conducted by Mick Wall)

http://findingzoso.blogspot.com/2012/08/page-on-road-bath-to-bath.html?m=1

Edited by Bayougal65

Bath 1970

This is a great behind the scenes interview/article on Corbin's FindingZoso blog about Zep at Bath Festival 69 & 70. (Interview of Freddy & Wendy Bannister conducted by Mick Wall)

http://findingzoso.blogspot.com/2012/08/page-on-road-bath-to-bath.html?m=1

Thanks, Bayougal.

That article has a quote from On This Day: "There was an attempt to film this, but, as we preferred to play at dusk, the filming was unsuccessful as the film crew had brought daylight film - as opposed to the High Speed film needed to capture night filming."

That explains the cameras then.

Thanks, Bayougal.

That article has a quote from On This Day: "There was an attempt to film this, but, as we preferred to play at dusk, the filming was unsuccessful as the film crew had brought daylight film - as opposed to the High Speed film needed to capture night filming."

That explains the cameras then.

Fuck this shit! If it hadn't been for the cameramen's negligent mistake we'd have a proshot 16 mm footage of the Bath gig.

Edited by Geezer