Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Bannister claimed that only 40K people attended the second concert. That's exactly how many tickets were sold, at least. My question to you: if only up to 150K tickets were sold for two shows in total, how were additional 250K people able to attend (Grant claimed that up to 400K people attended both shows) the concerts? What we know for sure is that there were gatecrashers, but do you think that 250K people were able to sneak into the area?

Edited by Geezer

Bannister claimed that only 40K people attended the second concert. That's exactly how many tickets were sold, at least. My question to you: if only up to 150K tickets were sold for two shows in total, how were additional 250K people able to attend (Grant claimed that up to 400K people attended both shows) the concerts? What we know for sure is that there were gatecrashers, but do you think that 250K people were able to sneak into the area?

Where do you show only 150K tickets were sold? Bannister's claim alone? Obviously there weren't 250,000 gate crashers.

I'm using Mick Wall's When Giants Walked the Earth as a reference. There is a direct quote from Bannister who claims that 109K tickets were sold for the first show and 40K for the second show.

Edited by Geezer

I'm using Mick Wall's When Giants Walked the Earth as a reference. There is a direct quote from Bannister who claims that 109K tickets were sold for the first show and 40K for the second show.

Even Mick Wall may admit he'll say or publish almost anything.

I found this news item of interest because it's further evidence of Bannister's staff being in over the head:

Daily Express (UK), Aug 10, 1979, 'Pop Go Tickets'

News item reporting five thousand 7.50 GBP Knebworth Festival tickets have been stolen

There is also this:

A lot of coordination, preparation and considerable expense went into each of the annual Knebworth Festivals.

Here's a feature on the 1978 Knebworth Festival...and by extension the Knebworth Festival itself. An interview with Bannister begins at 10:53...interesting that he mentions "when you have rain and additional problems and additional expenses..." you could lose money. Interesting also that the narrator states "...the day prior no one could say for certain how many would actually come to the festival..." It all seems prophetic for the '79 Led Zeppelin dates. Note also the turnstiles at 15:22 which Grant's staff would man on August 11, 1979.

Edited by SteveAJones

Hey Steve, my older friend swears that at some point in the 70's that a Zep/ Bad Company tour was announced. Obviously, it didn't happen and as I tried to explain to him, that Zep hardly had opening bands unless it was a festival. He said it was all over the radio. This was never considered, right? Speaking of BC, did Peter Grant go on the road with them when they toured and if so, was there ever any conflicts because Zep might be touring at the same time?

Hey Steve, my older friend swears that at some point in the 70's that a Zep/ Bad Company tour was announced. Obviously, it didn't happen and as I tried to explain to him, that Zep hardly had opening bands unless it was a festival. He said it was all over the radio. This was never considered, right? Speaking of BC, did Peter Grant go on the road with them when they toured and if so, was there ever any conflicts because Zep might be touring at the same time?

A Led Zeppelin/Bad Company tour was never planned or officially announced so the radio station must have passed along a rumor. Swan Song did arrange Bad Company's tours and Peter & Jimmy did accompany them throughout the first week of their first USA tour in Sept '74. Jimmy even jammed with them twice that week. (Jimmy & JPJ jammed with them later that year, in December in the UK).

Although Peter did not accompany them throughout every tour (as withLed Zeppelin) Page, Plant & Jones always made it a point to jam with them or get together socially when Bad Company toured in '75, '76 & '77. I have quite a few confirmed jams and public appearances on file.

Peter Grant attended Bad Company's first UK gig at the Charlton Football Ground on May 18, 1974 and he had advised Paul Rodgers to arrive late to go on at sunset. Peter's influence on Bad Company was immense.

Edited by SteveAJones

Didn't Jimmy and possibly Robert play with Bad Company in NYC around 1976? It may have been in Central Park. I think this may have been answered some time ago, but forget the details.

Bad Company / Led Zeppelin jams, appearances and more

Peter Grant received a call from Paul Rodgers and Mick Ralphs asking if he would be interested to manage their business affairs. Peter called Paul back a few days later and agreed to manage him (and his new group). Peter later suggested to Paul Rodgers that they record their new album at Headley Grange (which they did in 10 days)

May 18, 1974 at the Charlton Football Ground in Charlton, England

Peter Grant attend's Bad Company's first UK gig after advising Rodgers to arrive late to go on at sunset

May 7, 1974 at the Four Seasons Hotel in New York

Page, Plant, Bonham, Jones, manager Peter Grant and road manger Richard Cole attend the East coast launch of their Swan Song label.

Other attendees include Maggie Bell, Bad Company and Atlantic Records President Ahmet Ertegun.

May 7, 1974 at the Uris Theater on Broadway in New York

Page, Plant, Bonham and Mick Ralphs of Bad Company attend Mott The Hoople's gig

May 7, 1974 at Club 82 on East 4th Street in New York

Page, Plant, Bonham and Mick Ralphs of Bad Company visit this drag bar discotheque

September 1, 1974 at University of Texas Memorial Stadium in Austin, Texas

ZZ Top's First Annual Texas Size Rompin' Stompin' Barndance and Bar B.Q...Page joins Bad Company for an encore jam on 'Rock Me Baby' upon their request that he do so…Santana co-headlined, with Joe Cocker and Bad Company opening

September 3, 1974 in New Haven, Connecticutt

Page speaks to Lisa Robinson of 'Hit Parader' on his admiration of Bad Company, whom he is traveling with this week, before and after watching the show from side stage

September 4, 1974 at Central Park in New York

The Schaefer Music Festival...Page attends this event with Peter Grant; watches side stage and joins Bad Company (opening for Foghat) again for their second encore, a jam on 'Rock Me Baby'...afterward they are all returned to their hotel in a limo

Page remained in New York on business for a few more days while Bad Company granted a day of interviews before they departed for Canada and Boston to end their tour

October 31, 1974 at Chiselhurst Caves in Surrey, England

Official UK launch of Swan Song Records; attended by entire group, Bad Company, Maggie Bell and The Pretty Things

December 19, 1974 at Rainbow Theatre in London, England

Page, Jones & Duster Bennett join Bad Company for an encore jam on 'Rock Me Baby'

January 22, 1975 at the Ambassador East Hotel's Buttery Disco in Chicago, Illinois

Led Zeppelin's post-performance revelry…Page, Plant, Bonham, Grant, Cole and Bad Company's road manager Clive Coulson

May 7, 1975 in Miami, FL

Page & Plant attend the opening night of Bad Company's 1975 North American Tour with support from Maggie Bell

September ?? 1975 at ? (probably the Civic Center) in Santa Monica, California

Led Zeppelin attend Donovan's show and meet up with Bad Company's Paul Rodgers & Boz Burrell who are over to lend moral support

??? ?? 1976 at Madison Square Garden in New York, New York

Peter Grant attends Bad Company's concert; Peter was advised of a bomb threat made earlier in the evening

??? ?? 1976 at Plaza Hotel in New York, New York

Bad Company present Grant a birthday cake at midnight in his suite

May 22, 1976 at the Rainbow Bar & Grill in Los Angeles, Califorinia

Page, Plant and Bonham await Bad Company's post-concert arrival…a night of heavy drinking ensued

May 23, 1976 at The Forum in Inglewood, California

Page & Plant jam session with Bad Company during encore on 'I Just Want To Make Love To You'

May 23, 1976 in Beverly Hills, California

Page and Plant attend Bad Company's after-show party hosted by Ahmet Ertegun

May 20, 1977 in Dallas, TX

Page & Plant attend the opening night of Bad Company's 1975 North American Tour with support from Maggie Bell

May 22, 1977 at the Tarrant County Convention Center in Fort Worth, Texas

Led Zeppelin's 1977 USA tour...encore jam on 'It'll Be Me' with guitarist Mick Ralphs of Bad Company

March 26,, 1979 at the Birmingham Odeon in Birmingham, England

Plant joins Bad Company during encore of the second show of their three night stint

April 3, 1979 at the Birmingham Odeon in Birmingham, England

Page, Plant and Bonham join Bad Company for a jam on 'I'm Down'…Grant watched from the side of the stage

July 5, 1980 at the Olympiahalle in Munich, Germany

Led Zeppelin's 1980 European Tour...Bad Company's drummer Simon Kirke joins for encore jam on 'Whole Lotta Love'

May 15, 1989 at Selland Arena in Fresno, California

Peter Grant attended Bad Company's concert and watched from side of the stage; support from Vixen…Peter signed autographs enroute to tour bus

February 27, 1997 at The Forum in London, England

Page (as well as Plant and former Bad Company bassist Boz Burrell) are on the guest list for tonight's Paul Rodgers gig

April 11, 2010 at Wembley Arena in Wembley, England

Page attends Joe Perry Project / Bad Company concert

As always I'd welcome any further details or confirmation of the unconfirmed dates/venues/locations above.

Are their any pictures of any of the members between 1980/07/07 and 1980/09/25? I've never seen any pictures credited to be of the band after Berlin and before Bonzo's passing.

On Jason Bonham's very first Led Zep Experience tour, after the opening 3 songs, Jason showed a few pictures of Bonzo, one of which Jason said was taken about a week before his 9/25/80 death. I remember it being outside, in an area by a barn if I remember correctly. What I thought was interesting, was that in that in the picture, Bonzo had his full beard back. He had shaved the beard prior to the Munich show on 7/5, so he grew that back pretty quickly from that July 5 Munich date to around the date of that picture, September 18.

Unfortunately, as it was from the Bonham family photo collection, we only got to see it at the show (unless someone took a picture or video of that segment showing that picture, and can post here).

That's the only photo I have ever seen of any of them between the dates you've asked about.

None come to mind aside from the one of Bonzo that Jason is sharing on the JBLZE tour. It was a period of relative inactivity for the band, with very few confirmed public appearances and no public performances/jams. Jimmy had purchased Tower House from Michael Caine for approx 900,000 GBP and started moving in August. Robert & JPJ took their families on holiday. Bonzo returned home.

According to my notes an interview with Jimmy in September 1980 was published by journalist Steve Gett in Hit Parader but I'll have to double-check if any photographs were taken--I don't think so. Jimmy also allegedly used his private box to attend a Frank Sinatra concert at Royal Albert Hall the week of Sep 15-20 but I've never seen any photographic proof.

The May 1981 issue of Runes fanzine contains a report on an encounter some American fans had with Robert and his nephew in a local pub on September 17, 1980. I'll check my copy to see if any photos were included and if so post them to this thread.

ListenToThis, on 27 Mar 2013 - 10:30, said:
Are their any pictures of any of the members between 1980/07/07 and 1980/09/25? I've never seen any pictures credited to be of the band after Berlin and before Bonzo's passing.

Edited by SteveAJones

I do but will PM as it is still pretty much his local ;)

I seem to remember this pic being late 1980 too but could be wrong? ( same shirt :) )

(edit - after Bonzo passed though I believe - sorry)

015.jpg

Edited by Knebby

My memory not being quite what it was, I can't help - I seem to think it may have been a dave lewis shot?

According to my notes Dave attended Sheffield (May 26, 1981) and Bradford (May 27, 1981) among others. I'll drop him a line seeking confirmation and post the outcome here. Thanks!

It definitely wasn't Bradford I was at that one - something in the back of my mind is saying it was something at the end of 1980 where he took a pic of them together too?

Interesting. I don't show anything in my chronology for Robert from Oct-Dec '80 with the exception of the band members meeting on the isle of Jersey (November 7, 1980) & their meeting with Peter at the Savoy Hotel in London (November 1980). We'll see what Dave says.

015.jpg
Steve, this was taken at the Goaldiggers five a side football competition at Wembley Arena on Sunday November 5th 1978. They flew to Stockholm the next week. The pic was taken next to me by poss Daily Mirror photographer. I took a few myself that day.
--Dave Lewis

Great shot of Robert in September '80. I think it would be fantastic to see the shot of Bonzo that Jason was showing - any idea on how we could see it?

Thank you for lending your knowledge to my question, I hope I can return the favor in the future.