Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Knebby, were the pictures taken at the General Wolfe Gig, I remember because the shop downstairs at the Coventry Apollo, sold them along with

belt buckles and patches..... that was in November 1981...?

Sorry I'm not sure which pictures you mean?

Knebby, were the pictures taken at the General Wolfe Gig, I remember because the shop downstairs at the Coventry Apollo, sold them along with

There was a gig at the General Wolfe scheduled for December 23, 1982 but it was cancelled, most likely because of ongoing studio sessions for his second solo album and Robert's reluctance to have the line-up begin touring prior to release of a second solo album. If you are anyone else is aware of him ever having performed at the General Wolfe I'd like to hear it as so far as I know he never has.

Sorry I'm not sure which pictures you mean?

I believe he is referring to the two photos of Robert performing in 1981 (post #4461 in this thread).

Edited by SteveAJones

There was a gig at the General Wolfe scheduled for December 23, 1982 but it was cancelled, most likely because of ongoing studio sessions for his second solo album and Robert's reluctance to have the line-up begin touring prior to release of a second solo album. If you are anyone else is aware of him ever having performed at the General Wolfe I'd like to hear it as so far as I know he never has.

I believe he is referring to the two photos of Robert performing in 1981 (post #4461 in this thread).

He definitely played at the General Wolfe with the Honeydrippers. I don't know the date though.

Interesting. If so I must have overlooked it. I will look into this further.

He was interviewed straight after the show by Simon Bradshaw, a reporter for the Coventry Evening Standard. Simon Bradhshaw is now the editor of the Henley Standard. He may be able to help you further.

He was interviewed straight after the show by Simon Bradshaw, a reporter for the Coventry Evening Standard. Simon Bradhshaw is now the editor of the Henley Standard. He may be able to help you further.

I am reminded of a tip you sent me via PM on April 4th concerning this. A search of this very thread for "General Wolfe" also reveals evidence posted previously that suggests he did perform at the General Wolfe once, possibly twice. No confirmation(s) yet though. The game is afoot!

Edited by SteveAJones

Hmmm - well no , they were taken at The Golden Lion in Birmingham ( July 1981 I think off the top of my head) by my mate, but were never sold. However, some of my pics and his were traded with a bit of a "name" in Zep circles and this person went on to sell and trade them without our permission - a photo of me and Jimmy and one I took of Robert and Cozy Powell even ended up in a Japanese fanzine. I guess we were naive, but it really upset me and I have never had any respect for that particular guy since.

Hey Steve, you might have missed this a few responses back. Bumping this up, thanks.

Hmmm - well no , they were taken at The Golden Lion in Birmingham ( July 1981 I think off the top of my head) by my mate, but were never sold. However, some of my pics and his were traded with a bit of a "name" in Zep circles and this person went on to sell and trade them without our permission - a photo of me and Jimmy and one I took of Robert and Cozy Powell even ended up in a Japanese fanzine. I guess we were naive, but it really upset me and I have never had any respect for that particular guy since.

@And You Know How It Is?: Looking into it; will post findings if any.

@Knebby: You wrote Golden Lion (which is in Fulham) but I think you meant Golden Eagle (on Hill Street in Birmingham). I show he performed there on June 1st & 15th 1981.

The June 1st date appears in Dave Lewis' 'Led Zeppelin: The Concert File"...unsure if it's a typo as there is a ticket stub (yours) & photos (your friend's) for June 15th 1981.

As I recall you said soundcheck photos from June 15th your friend had taken were published and/or circulated without permission. I know you know I had nothing to do with it

but just for the record I had nothing to do with those photos entering circulation and ending up in a Japanese fanzine. Photos sent to me with no trade/no posting restrictions

are never traded and never posted.

@And You Know How It Is?: Looking into it; will post findings if any.

@Knebby: You wrote Golden Lion (which is in Fulham) but I think you meant Golden Eagle (on Hill Street in Birmingham). I show he performed there on June 1st & 15th 1981.

The June 1st date appears in Dave Lewis' 'Led Zeppelin: The Concert File"...unsure if it's a typo as there is a ticket stub (yours) & photos (your friend's) for June 15th 1981.

As I recall you said soundcheck photos from June 15th your friend had taken were published and/or circulated without permission. I know you know I had nothing to do with it

but just for the record I had nothing to do with those photos entering circulation and ending up in a Japanese fanzine. Photos sent to me with no trade/no posting restrictions

are never traded and never posted.

Thanks for the correction re Golden Eagle - you are totally correct. The soundcheck photos we had previously discussed were from JB's in Dudley on that same tour, can't remember the date, would have to look that up and am sure you would be faster!

Also I never meant to implicate you in any way regarding the photos that were traded - this happened long before I ever encountered you, and before any internet sharing of photographs was even possible.

Does anyone know the offical date this photo was taken? Thanks

628x471.jpg

This was taken around the time of Jimmy's guest appearance during Robert's Hammersmith Odeon gig which was on December 13, 1983. Uncertain if it was taken the day before, pre-show or after-show, but according to my notes the after-show party was held at The Old Rangoon in Barnes (London). A loyal fan named Andy Edwards spent an hour talking with Jimmy and may have been the source of the candid photos they seem to be browsing. Seems to be a map on the table and if so could well be directions from the Hammersmith Odeon to the Old Rangoon. This is how the photo appeared in the March 1984 issue of Creem Rock-Shots. It has a photo credit; perhaps the photographer could confirm the date and location:

198403CreemRock-Shotscrop.jpg

Creem Rock-Shots (March 1984) (USA)

Scan courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

Edited by SteveAJones

i don't think those photos were from the wolfe gig in coventry. if you remember the backdrop to the stage always had a general wolfe sign and it would be seen at that angle. planty played the general wolfe for sure. i have a clipping from the coventry telegraph confirming it (no date on it unfortunately) and i know people who were there. he was rumoured to play there about three times that year, but i think he only played there once with his own band. i went the wrong night

the shop in the apollo (coventry theatre as was) was named 'the poster place' a great meeting place for music lovers

SteveAJones, on 11 Apr 2013 - 14:55, said:

I am reminded of a tip you sent me via PM on April 4th concerning this. A search of this very thread for "General Wolfe" also reveals evidence posted previously that suggests he did perform at the General Wolfe once, possibly twice. No confirmation(s) yet though. The game is afoot!

SAJ, planty did play the general wolfe in coventry, certainly once as the main act. rumours were frequent in those days late 81/ early 82? that he may appear there. he may have got up on stage there another time with a band as a guest (travelling riverside blues band, and the DTs used to play there a lot) but i'm positive it was only one gig with that casual band of the time.

it was before his first main solo tour started.

i have a clipping from the coventry telegraph at the time, though there's no date on it

i live near coventry and used to go to the wolfe and read the telegraph, that's how i'm sure

(edited to add the last line)

Edited by jsj