Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

I can provide a bit more info on the General Wolfe gig as I was there. I lived just around the corner from the pub in those days in my family home. I don't know the exact date but it was definitely either April or May 81 on the first Honeydrippers tour. There are 2 pictures from this gig in Dave Lewis's Tight But Loose Files book. In fact in one of them you can see the back of my head! He only ever played there this one time.

It was a slightly surreal experience for me to be seeing Robert play in my local in front of less than 200 people as the last time I had seen him had been on August 4th 1979 in front of a slightly larger crowd. In those days The Wolfe was Coventry's major live music pub and over the years hosted many big names including U2, The Eurythmics, Bo Diddley and of course The Specials (they used to rehearse there regularly as well)

The iconic place finally lost it's battle to be a pub last year and is now Mushtaqs sweet centre and cafe.

I can provide a bit more info on the General Wolfe gig as I was there. I lived just around the corner from the pub in those days in my family home. I don't know the exact date but it was definitely either April or May 81 on the first Honeydrippers tour. There are 2 pictures from this gig in Dave Lewis's Tight But Loose Files book. In fact in one of them you can see the back of my head! He only ever played there this one time.

It was a slightly surreal experience for me to be seeing Robert play in my local in front of less than 200 people as the last time I had seen him had been on August 4th 1979 in front of a slightly larger crowd. In those days The Wolfe was Coventry's major live music pub and over the years hosted many big names including U2, The Eurythmics, Bo Diddley and of course The Specials (they used to rehearse there regularly as well)

The iconic place finally lost it's battle to be a pub last year and is now Mushtaqs sweet centre and cafe.

I do appreciate the further confirmation; we're now in hot pursuit of the precise date.

Thank you to everyone for your

replies, I am not really a fellow who collects photos, so sometimes it is best to ask.

I really do wish that in years past, I had a bit more foresight. (or at least pair of scissors and a scrapbook).

So I'll throw in a "mystery" (perhaps to Zep fans) - how could a Zeppelin concert be cancelled due to poor ticket sales? Specifically I am referring to 1980-07-08 Berlin. I know this tour was largely under the radar and advertising was minimal (on purpose), but seemingly the population of West Berlin was enough and further housed a large troop of American infantrymen that the mighty Zep could sell out two shows. They did two in Mannheim.

Was the final show on July 7th a sellout? Was the band too tired to do another gig?

What about the proposed show in Paris? When was it officially cancelled?

So I'll throw in a "mystery" (perhaps to Zep fans) - how could a Zeppelin concert be cancelled due to poor ticket sales? Specifically I am referring to 1980-07-08 Berlin. I know this tour was largely under the radar and advertising was minimal (on purpose), but seemingly the population of West Berlin was enough and further housed a large troop of American infantrymen that the mighty Zep could sell out two shows. They did two in Mannheim.

Was the final show on July 7th a sellout? Was the band too tired to do another gig?

What about the proposed show in Paris? When was it officially cancelled?

Although Berlin July 8, 1980 appears in the final tour itinerary and on official merchandise (shirt) my understanding is this second date was scrapped, never announced to the public and tickets never went on sale. I don't have confirmation as to why.

The June 14, 1980 Paris show and eight other dates were resheduled after promotional posters had been printed and in at least some cases after tickets had gone on sale. I believe this occured in late April or early May on account of more extensive tour rehearsals being necessary than originally anticipated. According to my notes rehearsals began at the Rainbow on April 18th, moved to the New Victoria Theatre on May 5th and moved again to Shepperton Film Studios on May 18th. Paris was the only date cancelled, possibly on account of the routing for the revised tour itinerary and/or venue non-availability.

I am not surprised that tickets never went on sale as the lack of demand in Berlin for a second night would have been very surprising. Perhaps their travel schedules worked better to return to London on July 8th - still the cancellation causes a suspicion of apathy on the band's part to creep in.

I think a show in Paris would have been fantastic, and the group would likely have put in a good performance. It was off the beaten path for the '80 trek but may have featured some unique aspects to the concert. We'll never know...

I assume the Shepperton Firm Studios is the same building that housed the 2007 rehearsals. Are all the well known pictures from the spring '80 rehearsals taken in the New Victoria Theatre or are their confirmed photos from Shepperton I wonder?

I am not surprised that tickets never went on sale as the lack of demand in Berlin for a second night would have been very surprising. Perhaps their travel schedules worked better to return to London on July 8th - still the cancellation causes a suspicion of apathy on the band's part to creep in.

I think a show in Paris would have been fantastic, and the group would likely have put in a good performance. It was off the beaten path for the '80 trek but may have featured some unique aspects to the concert. We'll never know...

I assume the Shepperton Firm Studios is the same building that housed the 2007 rehearsals. Are all the well known pictures from the spring '80 rehearsals taken in the New Victoria Theatre or are their confirmed photos from Shepperton I wonder?

So far as I know all of the 1980 tour rehearsal photos in circulation were taken at the New Victoria Theatre in May 1980.

Steve, I recently found out that Queen attracted 120K people at their sold out Knebworth concert. Any thoughts? I mean, how did Zeppelin play to 200K+ people if a sold-out Queen concert accommodated only 120K people?

Edited by Geezer

where do you live Knebby? Is Albion made up? or is it the UK?

The organisation, ticket sales and distribution of tickets of the Knebworth Festival were all radically altered after the 1979 festival to prevent such major and public disagreements from happening again.

The organisation, ticket sales and distribution of tickets of the Knebworth Festival were all radically altered after the 1979 festival to prevent such major and public disagreements from happening again.

I understand, but size of the area did not change. If 250K people were able to fit in that area, then why were only 120K tickets printed in the follow-up years?

I understand, but size of the area did not change. If 250K people were able to fit in that area, then why were only 120K tickets printed in the follow-up years?

There could be any number of possible explanations...changes to local ordinances...supply and demand...contractural stipulations. We may never know with certainty how many people attended the 1979 Knebworth Festival. You believe Grant's figures are far too high, while I believe Bannister's are far too low.

Could the fact that Crowley wrote something about Zeppelins when he was a journalist in USA have an impact on Page naming the band Led Zeppelin? I understand that the phrase mentioned by Keith Moon (or Entwistle) was Lead Balloon not Zeppelin. Just a thought, correct me if I'm wrong about the balloon/zeppelin thing.

Nov 10 80 Chicago, IL USA Chicago Stadium
Nov 12 80 Chicago, IL USA Chicago Stadium
Nov 13 80 Chicago, IL USA Chicago Stadium
Nov 15 80 Chicago, IL USA Chicago Stadium

if I can remember right,were these tickets being sold as a lottery,with the lottery drawings put in the local Chicago papers? and me and some of my friends were going to the zeppelin shows in landover,had made hotel reservations,but bonzo died and that was that!

i have not seen a lot of bootleg footage, so forgive me for asking ...

is there any video footage of the band doing " four sticks " live? i'd love to see Bonzo playing that song!

Unfortunately, there isn't. There is a boot audio recording from Copenhagen 1971 though

http://youtu.be/bv5KSPgDX1w

Edited by ally

thanks, ally.

wonder why ? didn't they do this live very often?

i actually love the page/plant version, but would have loved to have seen the original. :(

No, they didn't. Shame really as I love the song too