Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

I disagree with this entire approach.

After all this discussion you construed that I don't like bootlegs? I love bootlegs and I hate Jimmy's production on these particular releases. I can't see how anyone who knows at least anything about audio engineering can like what was done with these terrific concerts.

You still haven't provided any arguments as to why editing and bad mastering and the "Kevin Shirley thing" are excusable. Honestly, you're coming off as a fanboy.

Edited by Geezer

You still haven't provided any arguments as to why editing and bad mastering and the "Kevin Shirley thing" are excusable. Honestly, you're coming off as a fanboy.

I have provided arguments as to why this has been done - basically Jimmy is the producer and what he says goes, and ain't nothin' gonna change that whether you like it or not.

As I have stated quite a few times, I don't necessarily agree with some of the decisions Jimmy has made regarding the live releases, but I understand why he has done them, from a number of different points of views. I understand your point of view and I have sympathised with it.

If you actually tried reading my posts rather than skimming them and generally disagreeing you might have picked that up by now.

I have not disagreed with you, but I have shown the ability to see another side and reasons why things are as they are, and I have tried to convey those to you in simple English.

You, my friend, are starting to come across as a bit of a troll, no offense intended.

Edited by woz70

Are you insane? First, you don't even know what trolling means. Second, calling someone a troll and then saying "no offense intended" makes you look stupid.

Third, "Jimmy wants XYZ" is not an argument.

Forget about the editing for a second. What about mastering? Does Jimmy prefer a flattened drum sound? No. Personally, I think it's Kevin Shirley who's the main culprit.

Fourth, I know enough about Jimmy's production skills in the studio and I think he's one of the best producers. Doesn't automatically mean Zep's live albums are good.

Edited by Geezer

Third, "Jimmy wants XYZ" is not an argument.

This is the ONLY argument. Jimmy is the producer and the holder of the Zep flame.

HE makes the choices, production-wise. If he didn't put the effort into these releases they wouldn't happen. PERIOD.

Go back and read what I have said properly and you will see that:

I AGREE WITH YOU

but I am also able to understand other people's viewpoints as well, which you appear to think mean nothing compared to your opinions. A little humility and empathy goes a long way.

Now..... Ask Mr. Jones a Led Zep mystery question so that we may all be a little wiser when he replies and get this fascinating thread back on track.

You didn't seem like you were agreeing with me. Otherwise, you wouldn't have started this pointless debate in which you are arguing against the person who's agreeing with you. You're just oxymoronic.

And sorry for not having empathy for people like Kevin Shirley.

Edited by Geezer

You didn't seem like you were agreeing with me. Otherwise, you wouldn't have started this pointless debate in which you are arguing against the person who's agreeing with you. You're oxymoronic.

And sorry for not having empathy with people like Kevin Shirley.

If you'd actually READ what I'd said you'd have seen about 15 posts ago that I agree with much of what you say. I spent a lot of time and space explaining stuff in a pleasant and balanced way. All you can do is say 'I disagree with EVERYTHING you say' and now I'm the one having a pointless debate? Really? I wouldn't have had to keep explaining stuff if you'd had the decency to read it and understand it the first time I said it.

I've treated you with balance and respect and you've blown me off as being a 'fanboy'. Nice.

The Kevin Shirley comment is childish. He was chosen by Page. Live with it.

In respect to all/any of the releases we have covered - If the rest of the band thought it was shit it wouldn't have been released.

It's out there.

It's all we have.

If you don't like it don't listen to it.

Now can we get back on thread?

PLEASE??? or are you also one of those guys who just HAS to have the last word. If so, be my guest.

My sincere apologies to Steve A Jones should any more of this conversation continue. I'm stopping right here.

Edited by woz70

Get back on thread? I've never digressed.

You're not explaining anything, you're just going in circles over "everything that Page has done needs to be respected". I was going to elaborate but you seem to be absolutely the worst kind of a fanboy because you seemingly think your favorite musicians and bands are not subject to criticism.

Now go and troll elsewhere, fool.

You're not explaining anything, you're just going in circles over "everything that Page has done needs to be respected". I was going to elaborate but you seem to be absolutely the worst kind of a fanboy because you seemingly think your favorite musicians and bands are not subject to criticism.

Now go and troll elsewhere, fool.

I must say you don't seem to appreciate the collaborative nature of this thread, nor have much respect for the guidelines for this forum.

If you should treat anyone attempting to make honest contributions here so dismissively again I shall place you on permanent ignore.

Probably not much of a mystery to some- it is to me.

Other than a bolo hat, did JHB ever don a costume or stage wear?

The Clockwork Orange-inspired bolo hat with white clothes is the only "costume attire" worn onstage that comes to mind.

BoloHat.jpg

Edited by SteveAJones

And now Banned!

Too argumentive and always had to get the last word in.

And now Banned!

Too argumentive and always had to get the last word in.

Thank God he was banned,he has been following me all over and being rude and nasty!!!

Thank God he was banned,he has been following me all over and being rude and nasty!!!

Not just you, but others as well I'm sure. Things happen for a reason and this is one of them. I'm sure he'll see this, but not as a member. Oh well!

Not just you, but others as well I'm sure. Things happen for a reason and this is one of them. I'm sure he'll see this, but not as a member. Oh well!

I have absolutely no doubts he will be back in a new guise at some point - let's just hope his attitude has mellowed when he returns. (He used to be called Taro, let's see what's next).

His attitude was a real shame and so utterly pointless - these forums are so interesting and so many people here share their information and knowledge freely so we can all learn stuff. I can't understand people who have to resort to abuse if they don't get the answer they want (even though they've asked 50 people the same thing and still got the same answer!), or someone has a different (or even the same :slapface:) opinion as them.

Edited by woz70

I have absolutely no doubts he will be back in a new guise at some point - let's just hope his attitude has mellowed when he returns. (He used to be called Taro, let's see what's next).

His attitude was a real shame and so utterly pointless - these forums are so interesting and so many people here share their information and knowledge freely so we can all learn stuff. I can't understand people who have to resort to abuse if they don't get the answer they want (even though they've asked 50 people the same thing and still got the same answer!), or someone has a different (or even the same :slapface:) opinion as them.

Geezer was Taro?? I had no clue!! No wonder he was a dick!

Anyways we might as well get back on topic so here goes:

A while back I remember listening to a 1975 bootleg and Robert Plant was introducing Celebration Day, wich they played after, but now I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Am I making things up or did they play that song in 1975, at some point during the US tour.

Can the almighty SAJ help me out on this one?

was he banned the last time too

According to everything I have read, they never played "Celebration Day" in 1975. '71, '73 and '79 are the only years they played that song live, as far as I know.

was he banned the last time too

@ Walter: Agreed.

@ clw / everyone else: please just drop it (discussion of banned members).

Dunno if this one's been covered but I've been unable to find it using a search.... After the fourth album was released Jimmy & Bonzo made pretty much constant use of their runes/sigils up until at least the end of the '77 tour - Jimmy on his speaker cab and Bonzo on his kick-drum skin - but John Paul & Robert seem to have ditched them pretty early on (although JPJ now has many of his instruments decorated with his, and up until recently Robert still had a feather displayed somewhere on his website). My question is: how did JPJ & RP display their runes onstage (if at all), and how long did they use them for?

Dunno if this one's been covered but I've been unable to find it using a search.... After the fourth album was released Jimmy & Bonzo made pretty much constant use of their runes/sigils up until at least the end of the '77 tour - Jimmy on his speaker cab and Bonzo on his kick-drum skin - but John Paul & Robert seem to have ditched them pretty early on (although JPJ now has many of his instruments decorated with his, and up until recently Robert still had a feather displayed somewhere on his website). My question is: how did JPJ & RP display their runes onstage (if at all), and how long did they use them for?

Blimey, I know something useful!

If you check out Immigrant Song on the Led Zeppelin DVD (the Australia performance) you can see a drape over JPJ's keyboard with his symbol embroidered on. Here's a photo.

post-20091-0-41508100-1374103773_thumb.j