Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

I thought I had heard or seen somewhere that Plant displayed his symbol in the form of a patch on his pants. I could be wrong though, as I don't have any photos to prove it....

I thought the patch on his jeans was a RAF insignia ?.

Not that I am in the habit of staring at men's crotches I would just like to make clear for the record!

Yeah, it was on his speaker cabs as well! I had forgotten.

Awesome, and it makes sense too.

Obviously RP stopped using his rune first, closely followed by JPJ.... but does anyone know the first gig they appeared and when they stopped using them?

Just as an aside.... it's amazing that they were playing gigs of that size with little or no onstage monitoring. It's no wonder RP shagged his voice - he must have been really belting it out just to hear himself with the PA so far from him and that wall of sound coming from behind.

Edited by woz70

Awesome, and it makes sense too.

Obviously RP stopped using his rune first, closely followed by JPJ.... but does anyone know the first gig they appeared and when they stopped using them?

Just as an aside.... it's amazing that they were playing gigs of that size with little or no onstage monitoring. It's no wonder RP shagged his voice - he must have been really belting it out just to hear himself with the PA so far from him and that wall of sound coming from behind.

The first gig they used the symbols was for sure on the Back to the Clubs tour in 1971. It's hard to pin it down, what turned out to be the first tour with the legendary IV album songs like Stairway and Rock N Roll is really bad documented...

The first gig they used the symbols was for sure on the Back to the Clubs tour in 1971. It's hard to pin it down, what turned out to be the first tour with the legendary IV album songs like Stairway and Rock N Roll is really bad documented...

Quite interesting to know when they may have possibly used the runes symbols during their shows for the first time. Confirmation would be good.

I do not to mean to interrupt the "symbols" mystery, however, I would like to ask this question?

Is there any mention of any of the members of Led Zeppelin ever meeting or interacting with the members of the Spinners? I ask this because both Led Zeppelin and the Spinners were under the umbrella of Atlantic Records during the 1970's. Same record company under the supervision and ownership of Ahmet Ertugen and Jerry Wexler.

I realize that Led Zeppelin and the Spinners are completely different styles of Music. Regardless, different styles of different kinds of Music does not mean that one is better than the other.

I Love the Spinners Music and I hope that these Spinner songs may turn on others fans of Led Zeppelin that may not be aware of these Great Songs.

I do not to mean to interrupt the "symbols" mystery, however, I would like to ask this question?

Is there any mention of any of the members of Led Zeppelin ever meeting or interacting with the members of the Spinners?

I too am an avid enthusiast of The Spinners, but so far as I know they never met or interacted with Led Zeppelin.

They did meet and get on well, because Robert has said so, but far as I know there is no evidence whatsoever to even remotely suggest they were ever romantically linked.

Edit: Robert discusses his relationship with Janis from about 13:00-14:15 during this

interview with Charlie Rose. Robert says he considered her to be his "fairy godmother":

http://www.charlierose.com/shows/2005/05/1...an-robert-plant

this is from 2002 and I remember reading somewhere that she took a sore-voiced Robert plant under her wing and took care of him backstage and she fussed over him like a bird and she shared her vodka and orange juice with him

RP: I played at most of them in America. And then we were virtually unknown. They were called the international pop festivals. I got to know a lot of the musicians and Janice Joplin took pity on me. She was a couple of years older. My voice used to pack up because we’d do two or three shows a day. And she’d always be sitting on the stage, cackling at me, laughing when I couldn’t do it. And she’d say “come here Robert”, and she’d give me a bottle, “take this OJ”, and of course it would be nine parts vodka to one part orange juice and she’d laugh as it burnt my throat some more. In those days you could have a bill which was so stimulating for everybody. But of course it lasted longer and somehow the sun was always out.

Edited by redhairedqueen22

That's quite interesting to say the least. Was Janis on the bill with Zeppelin at Texas Pop? It was a good performance by Zep and great sound on the bootleg source we have, but to me it seemed Plant may have been drunk during that show? Especially during I Can't Quit You Babe, when he forgets the lines (I think it's during the first couple minutes of the song) and the rest of the band finish that part (without RP) and continue until Plant can provide the vocals after that part. Sort of a circuit I guess. If she was with Zeppelin in Texas for this festival, than it would make sense about Robert's condition during the show. I think this same sort of thing happened on versions of Kashmir during the 1980 "Over Europe" tour on a few occasions.

Edited by SuperDave

Is there any mention of any of the members of Led Zeppelin ever meeting or interacting with the members of the Spinners? I ask this because both Led Zeppelin and the Spinners were under the umbrella of Atlantic Records during the 1970's. Same record company under the supervision and ownership of Ahmet Ertugen and Jerry Wexler.

Actually, Jones says on his website that he played with the Detroit Spinners in 1966-68. No further details are known, however.