Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

It's been covered extensively several times here and also, it's not just "Aleister Crowley shit". It's an important aspect to Jimmy Page's life and music, and he was an important figure in the development of society through the 60s and 70s.......and shit

Agreed.

l_b509fc80e5136481572f73636c6552ca.jpg

There ain't no denying AC's work was great influence on the music we're all fans of. I have

come across many bridges between Crowley's poetry and Zeppelin music. Have read of the

anthology Ambergris.

And certainly the linkage between Page and Crowley is a far more relevant

discussion than the trivial talk of the band's day-to-day comings and goings and shite.

Cheers,

A.C.

Sure. Can you clarify what you believe requires expounding upon?

You are the encyclopedia.

I respect the info you share,gained through the archives,and what you are able to share, through your personal anecdotes.

YET ANOTHER 1969 LED ZEPPELIN CONCERT CONFIRMED

ICE PALACE in LAS VEGAS August 11, 1969

"LED ZEPPELIN: ICE PALACE in LAS VEGAS - AUGUST 11th 1969"

An Interview With Michael Chain of Pinkiny Canandy

Conducted Thu, April 8, 2008 by Steve A. Jones:

Q: Allow me to take you back to Summer 1969. What's going on in your life in general at that time?

A: My band the Knack (Capitol Records) had broken up and I went off on my own. I signed a new deal with UNI records and recorded the PINKINY CANANDY album.

Q: In regards to August 11th 1969, what had brought Pinkiny Canandy to Las Vegas? Was it part of a larger tour?

A: I was out promoting my new PINKINY CANANDY album and jumping from concert to concert.

Q: Do you recall who handled the bookings and promotion, if any, for the concert? Was it arranged on short notice? Do you recall posters being produced or any announcements in the press? The presence of press photographers?

A: Mike Tell promoted the concerts. (he later married Patty Duke and built an ark in his backyard) Tell flew by the seat of his pants and his concerts were the same. Pinkiny did a promo autograph album signing party at a local record store and I don't recall much in the way of posters or press. We were too worried about getting paid, played, and laid to pay much attention to anything else.

Q: Throughout the month Led Zeppelin had been staying at the Continental Hyatt House on the Sunset Strip in Los Angeles. Do you recall where Pinkiny Canandy was staying?

A: When I wasn't at home (off Laurel Canyon below Mullholland Drive) PINKINY CANANDY (Michael Chain & band) was sleeping on the floor of his Ford Econoline van on a cross country pick-up concert tour Mike Tell set up.

Q: You mentioned to me a local act opened this concert, and Pinkiny Canandy was billed above Led Zeppelin. Is this correct? Does the name of the local act escape your memory?

A: Led Zeppelin topped the bill with Pinkiny Canandy as special guests and a local band opening the show. Haven't a clue who they were.

Q: Do you recall if any of the bands conducted a sound check at the Ice Palace?

A: Pinkiny did a soundcheck and then we were off to the record store.

Q: Was there any offstage interaction between yourself or your band with Led Zeppelin?

A: We got to the Ice Palace first and snagged the best dressing room (they were all pretty terrible as the place was an ice skating rink). We joked about that and John Paul Jones' connection with Herman's Hermits, and during Doug Altman's (Pinkiny drummer) solo, Doug threw a drumstick at Bonham who was behind the stage.

Q:Any backstage banter or discussions about the local music scene?

A: The stage was a makeshift platform set up on the ice in the middle of the rink. Boards were laid over the ice in front of the stage for the concert goers - no real backstage only bare ice. Not much of a music scene in Vegas other than top 40 dance bands. It they danced to you in the 60's you weren't a concert act.

Q: How long did Pinkiny Canandy perform that night? What sort of material and songs were presented?

A: We performed for about 45 minutes, playing all of my original songs from the PINKINY CANANDY album and ended the show with our signature tearing-down of our amps and drums during our encore. The drummer's set was carried offstage piece by piece during his solo until he had nothing left to play but the snare. We carried Doug offstage that night banging away to a standing ovation.

Q: After your performance, did you stay to observe Led Zeppelin's set? We're you at all familiar with their debut album? Jimmy Page's reputation as a guitarist? Were you aware he was departing for New York the next day to continue his work on Led Zeppelin II?

A: After we got out of our white Brioni suits we snuck back out to watch Zeppelin from the back of the bleachers. We had heard the debut album and were aware of Jimmy's rep as a picker (he lived up to it). Having had James Burton, Jerry Cole, Glen Campbell, Tommy Tedesco, Bobby Cochran, Kent Henry, Jose Feliciano, and Dink Kaplan play with me in the past I was always very conscious of great guitarists. We too were departing for New York that night, only we were doing it in a Ford Van.

Q: Do you have any other recollections or anecdotes from that night you wish to share?

A: Zeppelin were great guys, great players, and they had a great sense of humor. I am currently writing a book about that Mike Tell pick-up tour we played with Zeppelin, Steppenwolf, Canned Heat, Zombies and Three Dog Night on.

Q: Did you attend any of Led Zeppelin's other performances thru the years? Did your paths ever cross again personally or professionally?

A: Never did. A few years after that concert I became a television writer (Rambo, Punky Brewster, Villa Alegre, Chuck Norris) and didn't go back into music until the late 90's.

Q: What's next for Michael Chain? Any particular projects you wish to mention?

A: You can check out all of my music from the original Knack to now on youtube.com (search: Michael Chain Band) or my website: www.michaelchain.com

Edited by SteveAJones

Agreed.

l_b509fc80e5136481572f73636c6552ca.jpg

There ain't no denying AC's work was great influence on the music we're all fans of. I have

come across many bridges between Crowley's poetry and Zeppelin music. Have read of the

anthology Ambergris.

And certainly the linkage between Page and Crowley is a far more relevant

discussion than the trivial talk of the band's day-to-day comings and goings and shite.

Cheers,

A.C.

There's a place for both...

http://www.io.com/~secret/oto.org/collecte...s/ambergris.pdf

http://www.oxygenee.com/absinthe/books7.html

http://memoryanddesire.typepad.com/blog/2008/03/praise.html

And certainly the linkage between Page and Crowley is a far more relevant discussion than the trivial talk of the band's day-to-day comings and goings .

Whatever the linkage between the two it is generally best examined within it's own specific threads and not in this one as my thread opening post clearly stipulates. I

freely address the topic in appropriate threads but I simply am not interested in

fielding hyperbole, speculation and interpretations of the link in this one. Posts to

this thread which do not respect my wishes will be ignored and removed.

Whatever the linkage between the two it is generally best examined within it's own specific threads and not in this one as my thread opening post clearly stipulates. I

freely address the topic in appropriate threads but I simply am not interested in

fielding hyperbole, speculation and interpretations of the link in this one. Posts to

How do you do that? :huh: I mean, I can't remove other people's posts.

(This is a genuine question, nothing to do with the ongoing discussion which I haven't read.)

Your original inquiry is a legitimate question. Unfortunately, the right answer may not be

known outside of the band members or their representatives, in which case resolution

will take some time. Rest assured it has not been forgotten!

I was afraid of that... but I appreciate your concern and attention to my question!

I've learned so much from this thread from the questions you have answered... a great thread! B)

which do not respect my wishes will be ignored and removed.

Interesting. The rest of us mere mortals just have to navigate the site ignoring or responding to posts that don't please us.

And we don't claim ownership of threads either.

You aren't an official representative of this site Steve. Please stop acting as if you are.

I'm the source, aside from whatever follows thru further collaboration. The thread title

and first post establishes this precept quite clearly.

Man...could you quit being sarcastic and get serious about this, Please?

Not a Zeppelin question but just curious: in the Michael Chain interview, he says his group the Knack broke up & then he formed this band Pinkiny Canandy. This isn't the same Knack of "My Sharona" fame is it?

No, they are not the same as the two were formed about a decade apart. There is a connection to Led Zeppelin though as 'In Through The Out Door' knocked The Knack's 'My Sharona' out of it's number one position on the U.S. album chart in the fall of 1979.

Here's are some questions for you, Steve. I'm not being sarcastic here, they are legitimate questions...

This interview you conducted with Michael Chain, will it be published anywhere? Or is its final destination this site and this thread? What did Michael Chain think it was for? Was he under the impression that he was conducting an "official" interview for Led Zeppelin's website, conducted by a representative of the band and its site? Or did he know he was simply answering questions asked by a curious fan?

In other words, was he under the impression, whether given by you purposefully or not, that he was giving a "real" interview, or did he know that it was simply for a fan to be posted on a public message board?

Here's are some questions for you, Steve. I'm not being sarcastic here, they are legitimate questions...

This interview you conducted with Michael Chain, will it be published anywhere? Or is its final destination this site and this thread? What did Michael Chain think it was for? Was he under the impression that he was conducting an "official" interview for Led Zeppelin's website, conducted by a representative of the band and its site? Or did he know he was simply answering questions asked by a curious fan?

In other words, was he under the impression, whether given by you purposefully or not, that he was giving a "real" interview, or did he know that it was simply for a fan to be posted on a public message board?

Lets just say for a minute that SAJ is a delusional who thinks he is the moderator of the forum....so what. Why do you people get so worked up about it? The great thing about this place, is if you don't like someone, you can ignore them. If you can't ignore them by not reading their posts - you can set the board to remove that person's posts from your display.

It seems to me like there is a bunch of whingers up on their high horses here and it's pointless and boring for everyone else. If you don't like the Steve A Jones thread, and the fact that it has his name in it, then DON'T COME HERE and leave the rest of us in peace.

The battle of SAJ vs. Knebby who claims to have so much inside knowledge. For all I know you are both full of crap, and unless anyone cares to provide proof otherwise, I will continue to believe that.

At least Steve is trying to be helpful, even if he does it in a way you people don't agree with.

Michael Chain and Led Zeppelin's representatives were fully informed as to the nature of

the interview, it's intended purpose and use. A complete transcription of all the original correspondence was provided for filing as appropriate. I leave it for other to enter into

a semantic debate over what constitutes official as I've got too many other projects to concern myself with.

I cannot stop others from taking the interview I conducted (which is quite "real" thank you) and posting it elsewhere, just as I cannot stop the bootlegging of mastertapes I discover, nor the cutting and pasting of chronological dates and details I provide here into private databases and books others will take full credit for.

I cannot fathom what it is that possesses people such as yourself to consistently attack my personal credibility in these matters. I must say there are a few here among us who

appear to be cowards cloaked in anonymity.

The battle of SAJ vs. Knebby who claims to have so much inside knowledge. For all I know you are both full of crap, and unless anyone cares to provide proof otherwise, I will continue to believe that.

There is no battle between myself or any other forum member. Knebby has proven she can be an invaluable collaborator. Unfortunately, we're not friends so generally I ignore her unless she is corrupting this thread.

I freely allow others to draw their own conclusions. The caliber of my posts stand or fall

on their own merits. My personal reputation is on the line with every post I make and I don't take that consequence lightly. Anonymous attackers have the luxury of not caring.

Steve, you may have perfectly reasonable expectations vis à vis the thread you started, but when you put yourself this way, it is bound to nettle folks. It is indeed annoying when threads go far off-topic, but I think the best way to ignore things is to ignore them--without passing comment.

Cactus, you are very much guilty of exacerbating and prolonging tensions between members on this board and I for one am really beginning to tire of it.

Finally, I know for a fact (as do many others here) that Knebby is a person of utter integrity who does know what she's talking about, so how about everyone's giving it a bloody rest, eh?