Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Excellent. I interpret their comments to mean it wasn't displayed properly at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame as opposed the suit having been cut, but I could be wrong.

It does sound like they forced it to fit the display, but what's so interesting is, they sent it to Cleavland without telling Jimmy. You can tell how irritated he is too.

SAJ,

I am going off-topic here, but the man with Jimmy is the same individual who was with him sitting at a table in a bar in Pattaya a number of years back (YouTube video in bar), which leads me to believe that he is a bodyguard whom Jimmy uses when the need arises.

Michael Lee died on November 24, 2008 in his flat (apartment) in his hometown of Darlington. Jimmy did attend his funeral service held on December 3, 2008 at Darlington Crematorium (as pictured below). Robert was unable to attend but did send flowers with this written message:

"What a waste. Too soon. I'm so sorry, I always enjoyed your enthusiasm and ideas. Robert P"

Page_at_Dartington.jpg

It was later reported that Michael had suffered an epileptic seizure. Daniel Stanton of Coallier Entertainment said:

"The results of post mortem was a seizure, apparently the worst one he could have had.

"Michael passed away at his flat (home) in Darlington. He was found at his home by his friend and police on the floor beside his bed.

"Michael was out the night before [he died]. He said he wasn't feeling well and went home to rest it off. When he didn't answer his phone the next morning, a friend had the police enter his home.

"Michael will sadly be missed.

"I have received endless calls from fans, friends and family members surrounding Michael's death.

"The guys in Thin Lizzy are crushed, I have spoken to people in the Robert Plant camp who have also expressed the same. Spike from the London Quireboys has been dedicating their shows each night to Michael. Dave Ling from Classic Rock magazine is said to be doing a feature on Michael Lee in an upcoming issue.

"We will all miss Michael. His boyish smile, his humor, his love and his talent, [but] most of all, we will miss his friendship.

"Michael died way too young. He shares his death with Freddie Mercury of Queen and drummer Eric Carr of Kiss, who also passed away on the same date.

"We love you, Michael. You are forever in our hearts and your music forever in our souls."

SAJ,

I am going off-topic here, but the man with Jimmy is the same individual who was with him sitting at a table in a bar in Pattaya a number of years back (YouTube video in bar), which leads me to believe that he is a bodyguard whom Jimmy uses when the need arises.

In this video, at 22 seconds in?

Yes. Looks like the same guy to me with his head shaved. Remember, in an area like Pattaya, someone well known and wealthy would want to have security with them. At Michael Lee's funeral, I imagine JPP took security with him in case there were autograph hunters etc.

In this video, at 22 seconds in?

Edited by kenog

Yes. Looks like the same guy to me with his head shaved. Remember, in an area like Pattaya, someone well known and wealthy would want to have security with them. At Michael Lee's funeral, I imagine JPP took security with him in case there were autograph hunters etc.

Good catch! Elsewhere someone suggested it was Jimmy's former band mate Chris Slade but frankly I failed to see a striking resemblance to Chris. I do see the striking resemblance you are pointing out.

With regard to the On This Day (August 12) photo, I agree he seems to be reading the Financial Times. I've magnified the image but unfortunately the resolution is such that I cannot discern any headlines. I'm going to ask Peter Makowski if he still has access to the original photo and if so perhaps he can confirm one or more of the headlines in the paper so we can confirm the correct date of the photograph.

Edited by SteveAJones

SAJ,

Yes, when I posted about the 'On This Day' feature, I was working from memory of the photo (not always a good idea!!). However, I have looked it up on this site. Like you, I copied it as a photo and then enlarged it. I couldn't make out any of the headlines or newspaper name etc either. What I would ask you to note though is that in the photo, Jimmy is sitting on a deckchair, and he seems to be sitting on top of part of the newspaper. Perhaps part of a Sunday supplement? Tell Pete we'll forgive Jimmy if he admits the photo was taken in the spring!!!

My computerised databases tend to go back to the late 1980's when newspapers started archiving their copy on computer discs. However, as you know from our association here and elsewhere, I have access to the original newspapers through the National Library of Scotland - hard copy. So, if you got me a date, and you wanted anything from the original newspaper (front cover etc), let me know.

Good catch! Elsewhere someone suggested it was Jimmy's former band mate Chris Slade but frankly I failed to see a striking resemblance to Chris. I do see the striking resemblance you are pointing out.

With regard to the On This Day (August 12) photo, I agree he seems to be reading the Financial Times. I've magnified the image but unfortunately the resolution is such that I cannot discern any headlines. I'm going to ask Peter Makowski if he still has access to the original photo and if so perhaps he can confirm one or more of the headlines in the paper so we can confirm the correct date of the photograph.

SAJ,

Yes, when I posted about the 'On This Day' feature, I was working from memory of the photo (not always a good idea!!). However, I have looked it up on this site. Like you, I copied it as a photo and then enlarged it. I couldn't make out any of the headlines or newspaper name etc either. What I would ask you to note though is that in the photo, Jimmy is sitting on a deckchair, and he seems to be sitting on top of part of the newspaper. Perhaps part of a Sunday supplement? Tell Pete we'll forgive Jimmy if he admits the photo was taken in the spring!!!

My computerised databases tend to go back to the late 1980's when newspapers started archiving their copy on computer discs. However, as you know from our association here and elsewhere, I have access to the original newspapers through the National Library of Scotland - hard copy. So, if you got me a date, and you wanted anything from the original newspaper (front cover etc), let me know.

I forgot to mention Jimmy is definitely seated in the front yard of Plumpton Place, not that it matters much.

If I haven't already I should send you a listing of all the pre-Led Zeppelin Scottish shows performed by Jimmy (with The Yardbirds) and Robert (with Band of Joy). It would be interesting to see what you can find with regard to press coverage. I

Michael Lee died on November 24, 2008 in his flat (apartment) in his hometown of Darlington. Jimmy did attend his funeral service held on December 3, 2008 at Darlington Crematorium (as pictured below). Robert was unable to attend but did send flowers with this written message:

"What a waste. Too soon. I'm so sorry, I always enjoyed your enthusiasm and ideas. Robert P"

Page_at_Dartington.jpg

It was later reported that Michael had suffered an epileptic seizure. Daniel Stanton of Coallier Entertainment said:

"The results of post mortem was a seizure, apparently the worst one he could have had.

"Michael passed away at his flat (home) in Darlington. He was found at his home by his friend and police on the floor beside his bed.

"Michael was out the night before [he died]. He said he wasn't feeling well and went home to rest it off. When he didn't answer his phone the next morning, a friend had the police enter his home.

"Michael will sadly be missed.

"I have received endless calls from fans, friends and family members surrounding Michael's death.

"The guys in Thin Lizzy are crushed, I have spoken to people in the Robert Plant camp who have also expressed the same. Spike from the London Quireboys has been dedicating their shows each night to Michael. Dave Ling from Classic Rock magazine is said to be doing a feature on Michael Lee in an upcoming issue.

"We will all miss Michael. His boyish smile, his humor, his love and his talent, [but] most of all, we will miss his friendship.

"Michael died way too young. He shares his death with Freddie Mercury of Queen and drummer Eric Carr of Kiss, who also passed away on the same date.

"We love you, Michael. You are forever in our hearts and your music forever in our souls."

Thanks so much, Steve. I am happy to hear that what I read (from one of the people interviewed in the Hoskyns book) that Michael Lee was not homeless and destitute at the time of his death.

Did Zep make any strange hotel requests? Anything like Van Halen's no brown M&M's request? :)

There is of course the oft-told tale of the hotel employee who surveyed the carnage and wondered out loud what it must be like to ransack a room, to which Peter Grant replied (paraphrasing) "Have one on us".

The brown M&M's clause in Van Halen's performance contracts is best explained by David Lee Roth:

I have always found this to be a mystery...

Do any real details exist about the songs or length of time Jimmy played with Santana on 1980/07/01? Did he play rhythm, lead or interplay? Are there any pictures? What about fan accounts?

I take it there was an after party as well, seeing as how Jimmy was late in his arrival to Mannheim the next day resulting in a small delay of the evening's Zeppelin performance.

I recognize Over Europe was under the radar however surely there is more to know.

Thanks

Wow! Talk about testing promoters to make sure they read the contracts! very funny and interesting, thanks for the DLR video SAJ.

There is of course the oft-told tale of the hotel employee who surveyed the carnage and wondered out loud what it must be like to ransack a room, to which Peter Grant replied (paraphrasing) "Have one on us".

The brown M&M's clause in Van Halen's performance contracts is best explained by David Lee Roth:

You may have just started one. It is plausible.

i'll try and upload the photos. they are in a LZ photo book (forget the name) that is pretty mass produced to book stores, and goes for about $50.

anyways, they look very similar to the extra mic's in Japan. Jimmy is wearing a plaid sweater i think. Extra mic's on the amps behind Jonesy, etc, etc. Also in that book is a photo of LZ onstage at Bath 1970 with a cameraman shooting 16mm footage of the band. Not holding the camera, pointing it and looking through the camera. A small version of an old 16mm video camera. Proves to me that it was filmed, partially maybe, and likely recorded. (but the tapes may be lost or destroyed/no good)

Any idea where Robert's resting up until his gigs in late October?

Any idea where Jason is recharging his batteries after his tour concluded?

AFAIK, Robert spent a lot of time in his home town, and is back in Wales again.

Jason is back in Florida writing songs with Glenn Hughes.