Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

I could not see Zeppelin play JFK Stadium in Philadelphia and Chicago doing the same set list, it would have been much longer for sure. Hmmm, maybe a 30 minute version of Carouselambra ??

They weren't scheduled to perform at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia, it was to be The Spectrum on 10/22, 11/3 & 11/4.  

Jack Bonham (John & Mick's father) owned a construction business. It is my understanding Mick was employed for some time by his father. Mick also opened a Dolly Disc franchise circa 1975, around the time he married. Within a year they had a small child to raise, and by 1979 they had two children to raise. If I had Mick's book at arm's reach I could probably find some relevant quotes to post.

As a by the way, I believe the freehold country house building site John is briefly seen breaking up bricks at in The Song Remains the Same was one of his father's business projects at the time.

That 'freehold country house' is Old Hyde Farm, is it not?

Your 'notes'. Ha ha!! 

Whatever.

Old Hyde Farm

The original farmhouse was demolished and rebuilt to twice it's original size, under the direction of his father Jack Bonham, an experienced builder and carpenter who owned a construction company J. H. Bonham & Son. The farm cottage and outbuildings were also heavily renovated, and barns and stables built. One of the barns was converted into a motor car workshop. Local contractors Stan and Peter Blick were also employed for the brickworking, and Tuffy and Andy Reeves the flooring and roofing. Overseeing the rebuilding was architect Grace Plant, who was married to Robert Plant's cousin Malcolm. Work was completed by 1974. In 1976, John Bonham later set up J. H. Bonham Developments, a building renovation business, from his experiences with rebuilding the Old Hyde.

Edited by SteveAJones

Those details aren't in the film and my initial notes on the subject precede Mick Bonham's book by at least a decade. Enjoy the site!

Those 'details' are totally in the film, Mick Bonhams book and even Richard Coles book. Watch Moby Dick again, the part wher he's using the jackhammer. Then look at pics of Old Hyde in the two books. The window frames are a dead giveaway. Throw away your ridiculous 'notes' and smack the person who supplied you with them, for they are incorrect sir.

Those 'details' are totally in the film, Mick Bonhams book and even Richard Coles book. Watch Moby Dick again, the part wher he's using the jackhammer. Then look at pics of Old Hyde in the two books. The window frames are a dead giveaway. Throw away your ridiculous 'notes' and smack the person who supplied you with them, for they are incorrect sir.

:lol::thumbsup:

They are quite correct, as the Old Hyde Farm renovations were done in part by his father's construction firm. Next. 

• 2 weeks later...

I found this on a very well-documented Badfinger fansite (but no other info for this date was provided). This would be a new date I think. Any idea if this actually happened?

LZ_SEPT6_1969_GERMANY.jpg

Update: I just noticed this was already posted (p141)...I guess it's still a mystery...

Edited by thozil

I found this on a very well-documented Badfinger fansite (but no other info for this date was provided). This would be a new date I think. Any idea if this actually happened?

LZ_SEPT6_1969_GERMANY.jpg

Update: I just noticed this was already posted (p141)...I guess it's still a mystery...

I very much doubt it - the American tour finished on 31 August and they didn't hit the road again until October. Travelling to Germany for one (small) show would make no sense.

I always read the tour list and early era of Zeppelin was poorly documented.  The tour list we see is not the be all - end all story and it's possible they were in Germany.  Did anyone contact the site and ask where they got the info ? 

Question sent

I see now how you can go back to p141.  Maybe it was a joke, but the Fuzzbox story sounds familiar.  That's a pretty nice hike from Dusseldorf to Copenhagen the next day.   I don't think there were bridges back then that connected those islands to Copenhagen and they would have taken a Ferry across the Baltic Sea or took an airplane ?

That's hilarious that he wants to see info they did not play there.  I got confused at first when it said New Yardbirds and thought was meant to be 1968 the day before Zeppelins first Scandinavian Tour. 

If this is 1968 could there be any chances Zeppelin did some shows in Frankfurt, Dortmund, Amsterdam area shows right before the Scandinavian Tour ?

My follow-up email yielded this inconclusive response:

Based on the fact that Bill Collins had the listing as the New Yardbirds, it is likely that this German gig was booked over a year in advance (maybe summer of 1968), and since we know after the fact that Led Zeppelin played no concerts in September 1969, we must assume that Led Zeppelin backed out of their obligation some time in 1969 after their popularity soared and their tour schedules changed.