Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

On 27/06/2008 at 4:33 AM, SteveAJones said:

Robert's taping was held on Wed, June 22, 1983 at the Tyne Tees Television studio in Newcastle, England where the program was based. As you know, Robert himself halted it's airing as he was apparently dissatisfied with his performance. Unfortunately, even

after all these years it has yet to surface via bootleg or within the trading community.

Hi Steve, it's taken me around 6 months on and off to catch up on this entire thread which has been a brilliant read.

Regarding The Tube gig, there is an audience recording bootleg of the gig which I have heard several years ago and is a very interesting listen. Robert was full of cold from the start of the show but massive credit to him in that he still tried to get through it. By the end he had has voice had pretty much packed in and I think it was on Burning Down One Side which was was played right at the end when he literally stopped singing. There is a stellar version of Sea of Love which was played about 3 songs in during which Robbie Blunt plays a fantastic solo. My brother attended the gig and got the tape from a known bootlegger in Newcastle a couple of days after the gig. I'm sure my brother still has the original cassette and I will see if he can find this.

A second item which was mentioned earlier in the discussion was what was Robert's take on Jimmy playing Stairway to Heaven during the ARMS shows. I know for a fact that he was fine with it as someone very close to me met Robert in Newcastle during The Principle of Moments of tour in 1983. He spent a fascinating couple of hours with Robert at The Holiday Inn hotel just outside Newcatle (which is now known by a different name). I will ask him if he is ok with me posting further details and if so will come back again with an update. 

• 4 weeks later...

Not exactly sure whether or not this classifies as a "mystery" or not.

xuavvj73hsh01.jpg

Is anything about this known? I can't find anything on it. My imaginative theory is that Page or Grant did not like the interview and quashed the thing from every being broadcasted. Would be awesome to hear as Cavett usually asked great questions.

3 hours ago, paplbojo said:

xuavvj73hsh01.jpg

Is anything about this known? I can't find anything on it. My imaginative theory is that Page or Grant did not like the interview and quashed the thing from every being broadcasted. Would be awesome to hear as Cavett usually asked great questions.

Very good point. Might of just ended up as one of the soundbites we hear on the 72' interview.

Another shot:

Image result for led zeppelin 70s

• Administrators
5 hours ago, paplbojo said:

xuavvj73hsh01.jpg

This is a press party in Sydney 2/26/72 - pic is a radio interview. There's footage on the official LZ DVD (2003), though not from this specific photo. There were several radio interviews done here, some of them already circulate.   JP apparently had trouble getting in, as he had shaved his beard in Auckland and wasn't recognized. There's a bunch more photos, here's a few:

1972-02-sydney-pressparty_0.jpg

72-sydney-pressparty32_0.jpg

72-sydney-pressparty62_0.jpg

72-sydney-pressparty23_0.jpg

72-sydney-pressparty55_0.jpg

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/event/february-26-1972

On 9/20/2017 at 1:55 AM, SteveAJones said:

I've learned a photo of Robert with Bernard Lansky was published in a book about the clothier (at 5:03 in video below). It seems to have been taken at their store at the Peabody Hotel circa 2007-08 when he was spending a lot time in Tennessee working with Alison Krauss. The book was published in 2010.

Edited by drowan

On 12/30/2009 at 12:02 PM, sam_webmaster said:

I'm not too sure about the date, but it was definitely in Life magazine at some point around the late/mid-1980s.

Edit:

Here it is:

Elvis.com link

"Robert Plant made his second visit to Graceland this week. Plant's first visit was in 1987 for a LIFE Magazine photo shoot with other music stars for the magazine's feature commemorating the 10th anniversary of Elvis's passing."

Sam:  Here is the cover of the Life magazine issue that brought Robert Plant to Graceland in 1987 (September 1987 issue).  Note the reference to Elvis in the upper right corner of the Life cover:

image.png.b46b2088836744f85854c81ddfaf38bf.png

Edited by drowan
Corrected Life date in 1987

On 6/14/2017 at 7:29 AM, sam_webmaster said:

The band were each photographed at their homes in January 1970. These first appeared in Bravo magazine (Germany) in the March 1970 issue.

bravo70-zepathome_0.jpg

HA!! That has to be one of the BEST photos of JPJ I have ever seen! Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Are you an enthusiastic Led Zeppelin fan residing within 2 to 3 hours of London who would be interested in assisting me on a commission basis with a couple of field research projects pertaining to the band? Reasonable compensation is being offered. Please contact me via private message. Thanks. 

Hi Steve,

I was on Wikipedia and I came across this interesting tidbit regarding the band's summer 1969 tour of the US:

Also of note, at the conclusion of the tour, John Paul Jones declared himself the "Anti-Scrooge" and burned all the money he made from the tour in a spectacular bonfire.

Is there any truth to this at all? Or is this just complete bullshit from Wikipedia?

1 hour ago, ZepHead315 said:

Hi Steve,

I was on Wikipedia and I came across this interesting tidbit regarding the band's summer 1969 tour of the US:

Is there any truth to this at all? Or is this just complete bullshit from Wikipedia?

Wholly unsubstantiated nonsense.

• 2 months later...
On 3/22/2017 at 6:12 AM, sam_webmaster said:

This was taken in New Orleans in Feb/March 1975, while they stayed there during some time off. I have a couple of other photos of this jam as well.

Edited by porgie66

On 3/22/2017 at 6:12 AM, sam_webmaster said:

This was taken in New Orleans in Feb/March 1975, while they stayed there during some time off. I have a couple of other photos of this jam as well.image.png.9a3bf49695afc0a4c086655779cee56f.png

I just talked to drummer Stanton Moore and he said the New Orleans bassist James Singleton was on this gig and told him about it. It was supposedly a Mardi Gras time gig , and  Singleton was playing bass with Clarence Gatemouth Brown, who was leading the band. He said Bonzo was pretty tanked and he walked up in the gorilla suit and said he wanted to sit in.  Gatemouth didn't know him, but the guys in the band persuaded him the let him sit in, saying he was a great drummer, with LZ  etc.  Gatemouth called a shuffle. Bonzo said  " I don't want to play a shuffle , I want to play some funk!". So Gatemouth said "OK, you all play some funk"...and he left the bandstand. So they jammed on a funk tune. 😏

Edited by porgie66

2 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

I just talked to drummer Stanton Moore and he said the New Orleans bassist James Singleton was on this gig and told him about it. It was supposedly a Mardi Gras time gig , and  Singleton was playing bass with Clarence Gatemouth Brown, who was leading the band. He said Bonzo was pretty tanked and he walked up in the gorilla suit and said he wanted to sit in.  Gatemouth didn't know him, but the guys in the band persuaded him the let him sit in, saying he was a great drummer, with LZ  etc.  Gatemouth called a shuffle. Bonzo said  " I don't want to play a shuffle , I want to play some funk!". So Gatemouth said "OK, you all play some funk"...and he left the bandstand. So they jammed on a funk tune. 😏

I love this.

Playing shuffles when you've had a few is a nighmare.

• 4 weeks later...

Steve- post Zep Q if that's cool?  Robert's flipped some really great bandmates over the years.  In particular I think Robbie Blunt was a fantastic player, a heavy weight in his own right (co-writer on near all of the first three albums).  Aside from the current lineup perhaps Blunt/Plant was the closest collaborative to Page/Plant we've had over the years.  Robbie's style is so cool, sort of Page meets early Gilmour, hints of other British peers and blues too, definitely a strong Mediterranean influence in there.  Quite worldly which I think translates well with RP's music.

Was a fourth album ever in the works or demos?  What was the falling out?  Did they ever get back together (I know they did at least twice)?

Other exits of interest:  Porl Thompson, Lee/Jones, or info you may have on various lineup changes.  Thanks in advance.

42 minutes ago, AntLantic Records said:

Steve- post Zep Q if that's cool?  Robert's flipped some really great bandmates over the years.  In particular I think Robbie Blunt was a fantastic player, a heavy weight in his own right (co-writer on near all of the first three albums).  Aside from the current lineup perhaps Blunt/Plant was the closest collaborative to Page/Plant we've had over the years.  Robbie's style is so cool, sort of Page meets early Gilmour, hints of other British peers and blues too, definitely a strong Mediterranean influence in there.  Quite worldly which I think translates well with RP's music.

Was a fourth album ever in the works or demos?  What was the falling out?  Did they ever get back together (I know they did at least twice)?

Other exits of interest:  Porl Thompson, Lee/Jones, or info you may have on various lineup changes.  Thanks in advance.

I too rate Robbie Blunt very highly. I too believe he's the best guitarist that Plant has worked with post-Led Zeppelin.

A fourth album was never in the works, nor were there any demos. Shaken 'n' Stirred was a commercial failure, and after the tour finale in September 1985 the band was essentially on hiatus. Robert sent out a press release in October 1986 that every one in the band was out and he later attributed this to tiring of their "menopausal rumblings"...LOL. The following month he signed a new management deal with Bill Curbishley, who convinced Robert that if he wanted to restore and maintain a viable solo career it was time to reincorporate Led Zeppelin music into his performances. Within a couple of months he began assembling what became the lineup for Now & Zen.

Porl Thompson did not accompany Page/Plant to Japan & Australia, leaving the tour after the conclusion of the 2nd North American leg in October 1995 because his wife was expecting. There was no role for him on the next album or tour as they went with a basic four piece with some accompaniment from Phil Andrews on keyboards.

Michael Lee & Charlie Jones became the odd men out when Robert changed musical direction after Page/Page, forming Priory of Brion. Besides, those two had other side projects of their own that they wanted to pursue.