Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

• Administrators
15 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Tonight I realized that the Robert Plant Official You Tube Channel uploaded his original 1980s era promotional videos in low res 240p quality. Is there anything that can be done to have them re-uploaded in higher quality, ideally HD?

About eight or so years ago, I had the videos streaming locally on his site. Back then, YouTube wasn't anything like it is is now. On the newer site, a bit afterwards, we just uploaded those old video files for the new official RP YouTube channel. 

You can get the promo videos on the bonus DVD in the Nine Lives box set. They're DVD quality, though not yet available in HD resolution.

2 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

About eight or so years ago, I had the videos streaming locally on his site. Back then, YouTube wasn't anything like it is is now. On the newer site, a bit afterwards, we just uploaded those old video files for the new official RP YouTube channel. 

You can get the promo videos on the bonus DVD in the Nine Lives box set. They're DVD quality, though not yet available in HD resolution.

I appreciate the candid explanation, Sam. I do have the Nine Lives box set and thank you for the gentle reminder they are accessible in DVD quality there.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Walter said:

I have a question, Steve. After the passing of Karac in July ‘77, did the members of Zeppelin primarily stay in England or did they continue to go on tax exile, until the ‘80 tour and, later, Bonham’s death? 

Interesting question. Their whereabouts during this time are not particularly well documented, but that said I do not show anything that suggests they did reside as tax exiles during this time. It could be that with no earnings from touring or new releases the motivation to do so wasn't there. ITTOD was released in August 1979. Jimmy and his family did stay with Jim Capaldi and family in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil that year, and vacation in Barbados in November but in either case uncertain how long for. We do know he was back at home in Plumpton by the end of November 1979.

On 1/2/2019 at 5:57 AM, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

Side q: Those shots of Jimmy at home in the Horus shirt we see during TRB, which I've always assumed is him making Ten Years Gone, who/where is that whole video

Lot of pics from this session too, why the whole "lets video you producing and take a load of pics"? Maybe it was going to be inserted into TSRTS?

Image result for jimmy page horus shirtec442948aa1cbb3efc1fa0e49cfc9408.thumb.jpg.591a5be605d8154841baa5cfc09e8f09.jpg

When were these taken?  The fall of '73?

28 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

I've always suspected they were taken Aug/Sep 1974, either during or very soon after they were recording additional footage at Shepperton Studios in August 1974. The clothing matches that worn by Page during the hurdy gurdy, "glowing red eyes" segment of the film. Additionally, I have a candid photo of Jimmy walking with Peter Clifton and photographer Pennie Smith on the grounds of Plumpton Place and he is wearing this same clothing.  

On 1/25/2020 at 10:26 AM, JohnOsbourne said:

Thanks for the previous reply.

Different question:  what was the temperature at the 1970 Bath festival?  I know it was raining, and Britain, but it still looked freezing for late June.

Noon dew point temperatures in the UK that day ranged from about 44 to 57 degrees Fahrenheit, with 51 as an average. Chilly.

To see the data, refer to page one at the link below to review abbreviations and then page 121 for noon to night for June 28, 1970:

https://digital.nmla.metoffice.gov.uk/IO_82169bc2-de8c-4556-9d19-cb7b8490dba9/

On 1/24/2020 at 10:33 AM, SteveAJones said:

I've always suspected they were taken Aug/Sep 1974, either during or very soon after they were recording additional footage at Shepperton Studios in August 1974. The clothing matches that worn by Page during the hurdy gurdy, "glowing red eyes" segment of the film. Additionally, I have a candid photo of Jimmy walking with Peter Clifton and photographer Pennie Smith on the grounds of Plumpton Place and he is wearing this same clothing.  

This isn't the photo I'm referring to but it's some of ones I have readily found from what I believe to possibly be the same day. The gentlemen in the picture is either Roy Hobbs (Jimmy's personal assistant) or Pat the caretaker. I was told about 25 years it was one or the other but I no longer remember. (prints from the original negatives).

Plumpton Place 1974 (2).jpg

Plumpton Place 1974 (3).jpg

Plumpton Place.jpg

1974 Pat the Caretaker 1.jpg

1974 Pat the Caretaker 2.jpg

1974 Pat the Caretaker 3.jpg

21 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Man, Plumpton place looks a lot nicer than that brick prison Tower House. I suppose it doesn't have the artistic history though.

At one point it was my favorite residence in the world, but I came to realize if you remove the moat it's actually quite an ordinary country manor and the property itself is not really that spacious.

The Tower House interior is so exquisite that it can be overwhelming. I would prefer a simpler place to hang my hat nowadays.     

• 1 month later...

Professor Jones,

Could you please offer your best prognosis as to whether one can attribute physical issue(s) as the root cause of the Dark Lord progressive lack of fluency in his playing?  Seems to me that starting in 1975 the problems started with his left hand and then by 1980 onwards, his right hand became problematic.  Discounting the whole 'he was drunk, stoned or a had a case of bad nerves' excuses for individual shows, any video I've since from 1980 onward shows a man who just DOES NOT look comfortable playing a guitar.  Would really appreciate your insight!!!

16 hours ago, Paimonus Rex said:

Professor Jones,

Could you please offer your best prognosis as to whether one can attribute physical issue(s) as the root cause of the Dark Lord progressive lack of fluency in his playing?  Seems to me that starting in 1975 the problems started with his left hand and then by 1980 onwards, his right hand became problematic.  Discounting the whole 'he was drunk, stoned or a had a case of bad nerves' excuses for individual shows, any video I've since from 1980 onward shows a man who just DOES NOT look comfortable playing a guitar.  Would really appreciate your insight!!!

not the case on the 1998 Page & Plant tour. he was in fine form for that

1 hour ago, jsj said:

not the case on the 1998 Page & Plant tour. he was in fine form for that

He did a great job finding ways to compensate/distract; take a look at his picking motion and finger independence on any of the '98 videos vs. TSRS or DVD; No Quarter is a great song to demonstrate what I mean. 

Apologies if I'm coming off pedantic about such an obscure topic.

3 hours ago, Paimonus Rex said:

He did a great job finding ways to compensate/distract; take a look at his picking motion and finger independence on any of the '98 videos vs. TSRS or DVD; No Quarter is a great song to demonstrate what I mean. 

Not at all.  I for one have long held the suspicion Jimmy suffers from some condition in his hands/wrists/arms that hinders him in some way.  

But no one ever asks him for some unknown reason.  

5 hours ago, Paimonus Rex said:

Nope not at all. I get your angle now. I watched the P & P Reading 98 show recently and while his playing was great, physically it all seemed more laboured to produce and that was while he was match fit tour wise. 

i was speaking to an art gallery owner who was selling 250 Page signed 4th album cover prints back in about 2003 and he told me they went to Tower House for the signing to be done and Page couldn’t do many at a time as his hand was aching from arthritis. 

On 3/4/2020 at 5:39 AM, Paimonus Rex said:

Professor Jones,

The injuries to his fingers are well documented and so with regard to fluency the short answer is yes BUT in my opinion attributing his lack of activity to physical ailments is rather overblown. If Robert had agreed to reform Led Zeppelin in 2008 I have no doubt he would have gone on to play nearly every arena in the world.

2 hours ago, jsj said:

I watched the P & P Reading 98 show recently and while his playing was great, physically it all seemed more laboured to produce and that was while he was match fit tour wise. 

There are two P&P Reading '98 videos known to exist. One of them I filmed. 😎

On 1/23/2020 at 7:00 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

I've wondered the same thing since seeing the TRB video; Was the full video intended to be included in TSRTS? And is there any indication it could be included in a future release?

JP STUDIO (5).jpg

JP STUDIO (6).jpg

JP STUDIO (7).jpg

JP STUDIO (8).jpg

JP STUDIO (9).jpg

2 hours ago, bcarter690 said:

JP STUDIO (11).jpg

This photo is included in the Soundtracks and More release. Presumably it and the other similar pics were taken around the time he did the Lucifer Rising Stuff. Either that or the pic was included for the hell of it.