Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2020 at 10:59 PM, SteveAJones said:

Music Now (November 28, 1970)

...seeking any further details, photos, etc...

1970 11 28  Music Now.jpg

Hello Mr. SAJ. So I have gone deep on this topic. I have found some information that I will paste below. I hope some of it helps. The one thing that I am not sure about is Zior being named Zior in 1970. I think they may have been named Monument at that time. Here is some information that hopefully helps in your search or anyone else interested. https://www.afka.net/Mags/Music_Now.htm

Music Now

gb.gif UK

British lesser known (in compare to Melody Maker, NME, Sounds) music weekly from the 70s. It started as Top Pops in May 1967. From issue #89 (September 1969) the paper started calling itself Top Pops - Music Now with emphasis on the latter. In March 1970 the paper underwent a full change to being titled Music Now. May 1971 was the final appearance of the paper. (Dave McAleer)

https://thefirstmonument.webs.com/

In the website above there is a email address that may be able to help in confirming that post about Robert playing guitar with Zior.It may be an incorrect date? On this Easter egg hunt I came across the forum “ Fire That Grew So Low” where someone quoted a post that you gave on this Forum. I will say that it was a Forum of a lot of crotch shots of Robert Anthony Plant. They did have a cool audio source of Robert, Jonesy, and Bonham playing Ray Charles Georgia. Anyway hope that this helps and I will continue my search as well. 

On 4/30/2020 at 11:24 AM, Santa Cruz said:

Hello Mr. SAJ. So I have gone deep on this topic. I have found some information that I will paste below. I hope some of it helps. The one thing that I am not sure about is Zior being named Zior in 1970. I think they may have been named Monument at that time. Here is some information that hopefully helps in your search or anyone else interested. https://www.afka.net/Mags/Music_Now.htm

Music Now

gb.gif UK

British lesser known (in compare to Melody Maker, NME, Sounds) music weekly from the 70s. It started as Top Pops in May 1967. From issue #89 (September 1969) the paper started calling itself Top Pops - Music Now with emphasis on the latter. In March 1970 the paper underwent a full change to being titled Music Now. May 1971 was the final appearance of the paper. (Dave McAleer)

https://thefirstmonument.webs.com/

In the website above there is a email address that may be able to help in confirming that post about Robert playing guitar with Zior.It may be an incorrect date? On this Easter egg hunt I came across the forum “ Fire That Grew So Low” where someone quoted a post that you gave on this Forum. I will say that it was a Forum of a lot of crotch shots of Robert Anthony Plant. They did have a cool audio source of Robert, Jonesy, and Bonham playing Ray Charles Georgia. Anyway hope that this helps and I will continue my search as well. 

Great work! :thumbsup:

On 5/6/2020 at 4:17 PM, James Deegan said:

Who was the opening band on October 14, 1988 for the Jimmy Page Outrider Tour at Memorial Hall in Kansas City?

Rock City Angels. The concert was moved from Kemper Arena to Memorial Hall on account of sluggish ticket sales. Jimmy and his band arrived in KC the day prior, checking into the Westin Crown Center hotel. That night he and his personal assistant, Phil Carlo, went to trendy Westport. First they stopped at Harris House where a band called Tuff Enough was performing. Jimmy joined them for a jam on the outdoor deck. Afterward, they went a bit further down the street to a place called Lone Star, where a group called The Nelsons was performing. Jimmy joined them for a jam as well! These photos were taken after the Outrider concert in the hotel bar. A concert review was published in the Kansas City Star (Oct 16, 1988).

1988 10 14  001.jpg

1988 10 14  002.jpg

1988 10 14  003.jpg

1988 10 14  004.jpg

1988 10 14  006.jpg

1988 10 14  007.jpg

Westin Crown Center KC 002.jpg

Westin Crown Center KC 001.jpg

1988 10 16  Kansas City Star, The.jpg

Edited by SteveAJones

When and where exactly did Jimmy Page see Little Richard perform?

So I noticed today that there is a statement on the passing of Little Richard being attributed to Jimmy Page:

"RIP Little Richard, a very sad loss. My thoughts are with his loved ones. It’s Little Richard’s songs that pioneered rock ’n’ roll. I got to hear him and his band at the Newport Lounge in Miami and boy were they good".

However, in an On This Day post "he" made seven years ago, Jimmy states he saw Little Richard perform at the Doral Hotel in August 1969. I know for certain the On This Day post is incorrect (as usual) because Little Richard played both nights of the Vancouver Pop Festival when Jimmy was in Miami in Aug '69. So it would seem he MAY have seen him in Miami in 1973. A newspaper clipping from January 1973 reports the Little Richard Express started performing at the Seven Seas Lounge at the Newport Hotel THAT month (Jan 1973) but Jimmy didn't get to Miami that year until May. I presume it's possible they were still performing a residency there in May 1973 (unconfirmed).

https://metalheadzone.com/led-zeppelins-jimmy-page-talks.../

The Miami Herald (January 19, 1973)

1973 01 19 Miami Herald, The .jpg

Edited by SteveAJones

• Administrators
7 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

When and where exactly did Jimmy Page see Little Richard perform?

So I noticed today that there is a statement on the passing of Little Richard being attributed to Jimmy Page:

"RIP Little Richard, a very sad loss. My thoughts are with his loved ones. It’s Little Richard’s songs that pioneered rock ’n’ roll. I got to hear him and his band at the Newport Lounge in Miami and boy were they good".

However, in an On This Day post "he" made seven years ago, Jimmy states he saw Little Richard perform at the Doral Hotel in August 1969. I know for certain the On This Day post is incorrect (as usual) because Little Richard played both nights of the Vancouver Pop Festival when Jimmy was in Miami in Aug '69. So it would seem he MAY have seen him in Miami in 1973. A newspaper clipping from January 1973 reports the Little Richard Express started performing at the Seven Seas Lounge at the Newport Hotel THAT month (Jan 1973) but Jimmy didn't get to Miami that year until May. I presume it's possible they were still performing a residency there in May 1973 (unconfirmed).

https://metalheadzone.com/led-zeppelins-jimmy-page-talks.../

The Miami Herald (January 19, 1973)

I have not confirmed with JP, but I believe the year he saw Little Richard in Miami at the Newport Lounge was 1970, when Zep played in April. Here is an ad from the night Zep played the Miami Convention Center April 10, 1970:

1970-04-10---little-richard---miami.jpg

19 minutes ago, sam_webmaster said:

I have not confirmed with JP, but I believe the year he saw Little Richard in Miami at the Newport Lounge was 1970, when Zep played in April. Here is an ad from the night Zep played the Miami Convention Center April 10, 1970:

1970-04-10---little-richard---miami.jpg

Perfect, Sam! 

14 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Rock City Angels. The concert was moved from Kemper Arena to Memorial Hall on account of sluggish ticket sales. Jimmy and his band arrived in KC the day prior, checking into the Westin Crown Center hotel. That night he and his personal assistant, Phil Carlo, went to trendy Westport. First they stopped at Harris House where a band called Tuff Enough was performing. Jimmy joined them for a jam on the outdoor deck. Afterward, they went a bit further down the street to a place called Lone Star, where a group called The Nelsons was performing. Jimmy joined them for a jam as well! These photos were taken after the Outrider concert in the hotel bar. A concert review was published in the Kansas City Star (Oct 16, 1988).

1988 10 14  001.jpg

1988 10 14  002.jpg

1988 10 14  003.jpg

1988 10 14  004.jpg

1988 10 14  006.jpg

1988 10 14  007.jpg

Westin Crown Center KC 002.jpg

Westin Crown Center KC 001.jpg

1988 10 16  Kansas City Star, The.jpg

As a side note, it's plain Page cleaned up his act a lot between 1984/5 & 1988. You can see how much healthier he looks in these pics compared to say, Live Aid or when he was with Roy Harper in '84.

Was reading comments under the Memphis 1970 concert, which led me to investigate Zeppelin's Elvis encounters. Wondering if the following comment from Elvis's step brother (!!) sheds a bit more light on Zeppelin and Elvis crossing paths during their respective 1977 tours?

David Stanley

I was 14 years old when Led Zeppelin came to Memphis on April 17, 1970. As the youngest step-brother to Elvis Presley I was living at the Graceland Mansion. My divorced mother Dee Stanley married Elvis' widowed father Vernon Presley on July 3, 1960. Anyway I went to the concert with a friend and was blown away. John Bonham playing his solo on Moby Dick, Jimmy Page stroking his Les Paul with a fiddle bow, John Paul Jones laying down heavy bass and of course the driving voice of Robert Plant. While growing up as Presley's step-brother I was no stranger to great music. But it was Led Zeppelin that became MY MUSIC while growing up the King.

I started touring with Presley in 1972 when I was 16. I always had Zeppelin's music with me. In 1974 while at the LA Forum Led Zeppelin came to see Elvis. Later that night after the show Robert, Jimmy and John Bonham came to Elvis’ suite at the hotel across the street from the Forum. I met them as they came off the elevator and walked with them to Elvis' s room. I introduced myself, shook their hands and got their autograph. Of all the people I met during my life with Elvis, it was only Led Zeppelin's autograph that I asked for. 

As I continued to tour with Elvis till his death in 1977 I would often ask my friend Tom Hewlett and Jerry Weintraub of Concerts West (the tour company that handled Elvis and Zeppelin) how the Boys were doing. He always gave me updates.

There was one other time the Presley tour ran across the band while out on the road. It was at the Washington/Baltimore airport. We (the Presley tour) were playing in Washington and Led Zeppelin was playing at the Capital Centre. We arrived on the Lisa Marie, Elvis' Private Jet, and Led Zeppelin arrived on the Caesar's Chariot. It was a hell of a sight to see these two private jets sitting side by side on the private tarmac. 

I asked Elvis if I could go with the band that night for their concert. He just looked at me and said "no". When I asked him why he said "look at the bottom of your paycheck'". As I entered the limo with Elvis I said they sure have a nice jet. Elvis leaned over and reminded me that they lease their jet from Caesar's Palace, I own mine.

To me Led Zeppelin was and still is the greatest band in the world.

Thanks Guys For So Many Great Memories.

David E. Stanley

Writer/Director/Producer

^^^

I'm familiar with Elvis step-brother David, as well as his mother Dee. I actually collect a fair amount of Elvis Presley memorabilia and last year I was offered the opportunity to acquire a birthday gift Elvis had purchased for Dee, which was a Japanese jewelry box. It had a letter of provenance signed by Dee and everything -- no doubt as to authenticity. Even so, I declined as it just doesn't fit within the context of my Elvis collection. I mean, ok, it's a gift Elvis gave to his step-mother--what am I going to do with it?

Anyway, accepting David's recollection at face value, it makes sense if they arrived the day before Elvis 5/29/77 concert in Baltimore. Led Zeppelin's plane would have been on the tarmac while they (Led Zeppelin) performed in Largo, MD on 5/28/77. They flew in and out from New York for each of their four Capitol Centre concerts, staying at The Plaza hotel in New York.

As an aside, Baltimore '77 is widely considered one of Elvis worst performances. He was not feeling well at all that night.

http://www.elvis-history-blog.com/elvis-baltimore-77.html

https://www.baltimoresun.com/features/retro-baltimore/bs-fe-retro-0811-story.html 

John Bonham's Mercedes-Benz Bariban

This is a mid to late 1970s UK news item (magazine title and date unconfirmed) which reports John Bonham purchased a Mercedes-Benz Bariban. It shows a photo of the vehicle with a "John Bonham Led Zeppelin" sign in the front window. It seems to be parked by a large venue of some sort. I'm not sure what to make of this -- if this is a factual report or someone's sense of humor at the time.

Newcuttings7 001.jpg

• 2 months later...

Marilyn Cole

When Roxy Music formed in the early 1970s, it became the policy of this arty, glamour-fixated band to drape a female model across their gatefold sleeves. Their 1973 album Stranded has especially steamy packaging, with a barely dressed young woman sprawled amid tropical foliage (above). This was Marilyn Cole, who had been noticed by Bryan Ferry after becoming Playboy magazine’s Playmate of the Year at the age of 23. “The model agency said they had a job for me, a shoot for a record cover,” recalls Marilyn, who is now married to the former Playboy executive Victor Lownes. “It was at a tiny studio, somewhere off the Edgware Road in London. I’d never even heard of Roxy Music.” She was welcomed by the band’s fashion supremo, Antony Price, and by Bryan Ferry and a make-up artist and photographer. “I very soon understood that I was in safe hands, among some very talented people. There was a red dress hanging up, and I thought, ‘Ooh, good, I’m going to get to wear a really nice dress’ – because so often I’d be naked – whereupon, as I’m having my make-up done, Antony comes in and starts ripping the dress – a hole there, a slash there. I was thinking, ‘Oh no.’ They stuck me on this big log and explained I was supposed to be stranded in a jungle, and then they started spraying me; they sprayed my hair gold, and there was a whole mist coming over me and the dress was getting wet in all the right places.” Under a contract to Playboy that stipulated that her “naughty bits” never be shown in non-Playboy shoots, she was anxious about being safely covered. “I was saying, ‘You can’t see anything rude, can you?’ Because I wasn’t allowed to show a nipple, even.

“I’m very pleased and honoured to have been a Roxy girl, because I know the aesthetic values of those album covers. At the same time, I look at that picture and I think, ‘Why the hell did they choose that shot where my arm’s up and the dress is cutting into my armpit?’ I think Bryan said at the time that they chose that shot because my eyebrow had turned blue in the light. I thought, ‘Ooh, how strange.’ But the overall feeling of that cover is very beautiful.”

Cole-TOTP-1971-300x297.jpg

Marilyn was also a cover star for the Top of the Pops albums

Marilyn has a secret too. It has nothing to do with absinthe or opium, but it may have made the supercool Roxy Music think twice about using her back in 1973. She was also a cheesy cover star for the naffest series of long-players ever recorded: the Top of the Pops albums, available cheaply in Woolworth’s, on which session musicians played appalling fake versions of current chart hits, from ‘Puppy Love’ to ‘Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep’. “When I turned up for the Stranded shoot,” she says, “I thought it was going to be another ‘top-20 hits’ job and I’d be shaking a pair of maracas or something.”

Edited by SteveAJones

• 3 weeks later...

Robert Plant European Television Program Appearances (1985)

Can anyone provide further details on Robert Plant's television program appearances in Finland, Norway & Spain 1985? Seeking the program names and original telecast dates. They were promotional appearances for Shaken 'n Stirred. I show his UK tv appearances were completed in May 1985 so perhaps it was around that time of year.

Norway:  

Barcelona, Spain (Angel Casas Show):