Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

1 hour ago, BobDobbs said:

If the mob was involved, the Plaza was within the Luchesi Family dominion.

I do believe that the Plaza was in downtown Manhattan.  From all the Mob shows I watch on, TV,  I would think it was the Gambino family that did the heist (way before John Gotti).  Again I could be wrong.

28 minutes ago, kingzoso said:

I do believe that the Plaza was in downtown Manhattan.  From all the Mob shows I watch on, TV,  I would think it was the Gambino family that did the heist (way before John Gotti).  Again I could be wrong.

The Luchesi & Gambino Families shared Manhattan and frequently collaborated in heists so it is likely one or the other did the job. Being 73' even if they were not, whoever was would have had to still kick a percentage of the take up to either or both families or risk being found in a landfill. If a Zep entourage member did it though that's a different and far more F'ed up story.

BTW, the Luchesi family is the most profitable of the 5 families as they have always kept the lowest profile and have no problem working with the other families.

1 hour ago, BobDobbs said:

The Luchesi & Gambino Families shared Manhattan and frequently collaborated in heists so it is likely one or the other did the job. Being 73' even if they were not, whoever was would have had to still kick a percentage of the take up to either or both families or risk being found in a landfill. If a Zep entourage member did it though that's a different and far more F'ed up story.

BTW, the Luchesi family is the most profitable of the 5 families as they have always kept the lowest profile and have no problem working with the other families.

Good answer.  I am saying that is Semi Real  but I thought the Luchesi Family controlled the Idlewild airport.  Not downtown Manhattan.  I will admit that I am saying this based on Goodfellas, however I know a lot about Led Zeppelin.  Who stole the money, obviously I don't know.  But i would bet it was the Gambinos.

Edited by kingzoso

39 minutes ago, kingzoso said:

Good answer.  I am saying that is Semi Real  but I thought the Luchesi Family controlled the Idlewild airport.  Not downtown Manhattan.  I will admit that I am saying this based on Goodfellas, however I know a lot about Led Zeppelin.  Who stole the money, obviously I don't know.  But i would bet it was the Gambinos.

Per the interwebs:

What is the Lucchese family territory? The family's territory includes the boroughs of Brooklyn, the Bronx and Manhattan. It also operates in New Jersey and Florida. The family's chief criminal enterprises include drug trafficking, labor rackets, extortion, smuggling, loan-sharking, gun running and bookmaking.

Though as the Gambino's and particularly the Bergin Crew of which Gotti was an associate (he was not a made member yet) frequently worked with several Lucchese crews in Manhattan. Throughout 1973 Gotti, Ruggiero, and the Bergin crew were pulling heists in this area of Manhattan so its a likely possibility they were involved or at least knew about the LZ heist before it happened.

Edited by BobDobbs

6 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Maybe it was Richard Cole or possibly Peter Grant, but I doubt it.  

It was some faction of the Mafia. 

Any concur or object?

It has all the makings of being a publicity stunt and yet it's unlikely it was Cole and highly unlikely it was Grant because in my opinion it reflects very badly on them. We also know when the band was informed they were very angry and if you watch the press conference footage closely note Grant subtly gives viewers the finger. Perhaps that was his way of sending a message to those responsible, realizing they would undoubtedly be watching the news coverage. 

• 1 month later...

"World's 1st Underwater Listening Party"...Outrider Album Release...June 16, 1988 

Anyone else have one of these? I've only seen two. Mine (mint, acquired 1992) and one on ebay (slight shoulder stain). What I really want to know is if this event really happened and where. Apparently there was an Inn On the Park in Toronto, and it is "Toronto Maple Leaf" colors but there are other Inn On the Park locations. It does not look like an official promo shirt despite the Geffen logo, and it doesn't have the album's title either.

1988 Inn on the Park.jpg

Edited by SteveAJones

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

"World's 1st Underwater Listening Party"...Outrider Album Release...June 16, 1988 

Anyone else have one of these? I've only seen two. Mine (mint, acquired 1992) and one on ebay (slight shoulder stain). What I really want to know is if this event really happened and where. Apparently there was an Inn On the Park in Toronto, and it is "Toronto Maple Leaf" colors but there are other Inn On the Park locations. It does not look like an official promo shirt despite the Geffen logo, and it doesn't have the album's title either.

1988 Inn on the Park.jpg

I have a press clipping of this event. It was in Houston, held by the Sound Warehouse:

1988-jp-underwater-listening-party-outrider-.jpg

53 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

They seem to be radio spots for various cities across upstate New York, probably produced by Concerts West, the event promoter. It was cancelled about a week prior.

Those spots really convey the sense of anticipation of the chance to see an absolutely legendary group. Puts you in that time so to speak.

• 1 month later...

Here is a YouTube video from a 2020 podcast, in which Deborah Smith Cahan called in and discussed this (her sitting in as replacement bassist for JPJ at the Cleveland 1970 concert, because JPJ's father had died and he had to leave).   She doesn't go into much detail--nothing about what songs she played, or any interactions with the band members--and the podcast hosts unfortunately don't ask her any follow up questions.  She begins talking about this at about 32 and half minutes into this interview.

-A.B.Houston

When there's a murder, the prime suspect is always the last person to have seen the dead person alive and 9.9 out of ten times is the killer . If Cole were the last person to see the money then its not out of the realm of possibility that he probably did it. Then you've got good ole Occam's Razor, the simplest explanation for any event is the most preferred, in this case the most simplest and direct answer is that Cole took the money.

I did it! I did it! The case she is solved!! :3stooges: