Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

9 hours ago, SamoKodela said:

I knew that. Now when he started building it, we will probably never know. Maybe he just wanted to build a cool guitar for Jones and it might be he knew the 1977 setlist in advance and he indeed started building it just before 1977.

I think the key is he said he saw them in concert and it inspired him to build it. As far as I know Andy Manson did not see them in the US in 1977, which pushes it back to 1975 (or 1973).

• 1 month later...

Mr. Jones,

In Grateful Dead drummer Bill Kreutzmann's  book "Deal", he repeats the well known story that the two bands met at Herb Green's studio on 14, January of 1969.  The book adds a detail I'd never heard, that Grateful Dead front man Pig Pen pulled out a gun and "accidentally" fired it into the ceiling!  The Dead are well known for their love of guns and were often photographed with them, California being an "open carry" state at that time.  Is there any confirmation of this story from the Led Zeppelin camp?

Edited by chef free

I was wondering if anyone might know the answer to this: I read elsewhere on the internet that J.R.R. Tolkien encouraged Zep to use his books for inspiration. I've read the Humphrey Carpenter biography of Tolkien and it does not mention this. Has anyone come across information that would verify this? It seems unlikely to me because there is no evidence Tolkien listened to rock music at all. I think he mainly listened to his wife play the piano. 

On 12/19/2021 at 5:51 AM, ScarletMacaw said:

I was wondering if anyone might know the answer to this: I read elsewhere on the internet that J.R.R. Tolkien encouraged Zep to use his books for inspiration. I've read the Humphrey Carpenter biography of Tolkien and it does not mention this. Has anyone come across information that would verify this? It seems unlikely to me because there is no evidence Tolkien listened to rock music at all. I think he mainly listened to his wife play the piano. 

I've heard that the Beatles wanted to make a movie based on Mr. Tolkein's works but he was not going to allow it.

On 12/14/2021 at 6:52 PM, chef free said:

Mr. Jones,

In Grateful Dead drummer Bill Kreutzmann's  book "Deal", he repeats the well known story that the two bands met at Herb Green's studio on 14, January of 1969.  The book adds a detail I'd never heard, that Grateful Dead front man Pig Pen pulled out a gun and "accidentally" fired it into the ceiling!  The Dead are well known for their love of guns and were often photographed with them, California being an "open carry" state at that time.  Is there any confirmation of this story from the Led Zeppelin camp?

In the official Zeppelin book, JPJ says he recalls Pigpen having a gun at that photo session. Nothing about him firing it though.

On 12/15/2021 at 3:52 AM, chef free said:

Mr. Jones,

JPJ recalls Pigpen being in possession of a firearm at that time but accidental discharge may be inaccurate or an embellishment. 

On 12/19/2021 at 10:51 PM, ScarletMacaw said:

Highly unlikely and given one won't find a single quote from Tolkien that affirms it I'd say the claim is patently false.

5 hours ago, 76229 said:

In the official Zeppelin book, JPJ says he recalls Pigpen having a gun at that photo session. Nothing about him firing it though.

This.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2015 at 2:26 AM, kingzoso said:

This is more of a question and not a mystery. I am almost finishing re-reading Mick Bonham's book about his brother John, "John Bonham: The Powerhouse Behind Led Zeppelin". It is a great book with insight into the Bonham Brothers early years. It seems that there was a lot of Love and some discord between them. They would have occasional arguments and fights between them which led them to not speak to each other for long periods of time (according to the book and Mick Bonham).

My question is: besides all that, I wonder why John Bonham never employed Mick Bonham in any formal capacity and on the Led Zeppelin payroll. As Johns assistant, photographer, etc... I know that Mick Hinton was Johns personal assistant and drum roadie and that Neal Preston was an official photographer and so on and so forth.

Let me backtrack for a moment. John did employ his brother and father and various friends but that was only in the building and re-building of various properties and farms that John bought. And lets not forget Matthew Maloney, John Bonham's chauffer and various other jobs that Matthew performed whilst an employee of John.

Any thoughts about this?

Well.... Correct me if I’m wrong :

wasn’t his brother on a Zep album?

In through the outdoor!?

He played an instrument or a couple of notes anyway (lol) During “fool in the rain” !!!  I got to  admit he did a  perfect job too!  One of my favorite parts of the song .

Lucky guy !!!!

Talk about bragging rights !!!Wonder if he even got paid for that? 

On 1/5/2022 at 11:45 AM, z1inspector said:

Well.... Correct me if I’m wrong :

wasn’t his brother on a Zep album?

In through the outdoor!?

He played an instrument or a couple of notes anyway (lol) During “fool in the rain” !!!  I got to  admit he did a  perfect job too!  One of my favorite parts of the song .

Lucky guy !!!!

Talk about bragging rights !!!Wonder if he even got paid for that? 

Mick Bonham was invited on-stage and played congas during 'Whole Lotta Love', when Led Zeppelin performed at the Preston Public Hall on 23 November 1971. As I recall it is Mick Bonham who blew the whistle during 'Fool On The Rain' on the Led Zeppelin album 'In Through The Out Door'. I probably replied to king zoso's original post six years ago but if not I'll offer my opinion that John needed Mick, someone he could trust completely, to look after his home and family while away on tour a lot more than he needed another member of the entourage.

On 1/6/2022 at 12:54 PM, SteveAJones said:

Mick Bonham was invited on-stage and played congas during 'Whole Lotta Love', when Led Zeppelin performed at the Preston Public Hall on 23 November 1971. As I recall it is Mick Bonham who blew the whistle during 'Fool On The Rain' on the Led Zeppelin album 'In Through The Out Door'. I probably replied to king zoso's original post six years ago but if not I'll offer my opinion that John needed Mick, someone he could trust completely, to look after his home and family while away on tour a lot more than he needed another member of the entourage.

Thanks for repeating your opinion Steve Good thinking !  I bet you’re right > of course that’s where he would need him most  I never thought that. & Bonhams brother probably  was fine with it under the CONDITION:

That John let him know if ever a whistle was to be blown ONCE in “just the rite spot” !

And man did Mick ever NAIL IT!  

excitedly blowing a few extra during the following jam 😜!

Here is what I believe is a good one. Did Jimmy by chance meet Rosaleen Norton during the Feb 72' Australian / NZ gigs? Norton was a major figure in magick, esoterica, and art in the 40's-70's and a follower of Crowley's though not a practitioner of Thelema as she developed her own school of sex magick & workings. I would think Jimmy would be quite interested indeed in meeting Ms. Norton and vice versa as Zep would have been right up her ally. Also, Norton was extremely well known in Australia & the UK due to her bohemian / scandalous lifestyle which she absolutely reveled in.

Edited by BobDobbs

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

I have 1 track labeled Australia Radio 1994 that I am trying to get more information regarding the date of the recording. It is one track of No Quarter, performed only with Jimmy on acoustic guitar and Robert singing (obviously). At the end of the song, Jimmy strums a few bars of Kashmir and the announcer comes on to say, "Nice, yay, the crack goes off behind glass walls, this is a special edition of the fast lane, that was great." And then it fades out. I know the 2 were in Australia in November, 1994. Being the human Jimmy Page GPS machine that you are, can you shed any further light on this recording? Perhaps, someone from Australia might know more about the program?? I would be happy to upload the track to a file sharing host and pm you the link if it would assist in any way. Thanks in advance.

Edited by 3hrsoflunacy

On 1/13/2022 at 1:33 AM, bluecongo said:

I have a question 

Did any member of Zep visit the USA between 1978-1980 for any reason ?

Not to my knowledge.

On 1/13/2022 at 12:38 PM, BobDobbs said:

Here is what I believe is a good one. Did Jimmy by chance meet Rosaleen Norton during the Feb 72' Australian / NZ gigs? Norton was a major figure in magick, esoterica, and art in the 40's-70's and a follower of Crowley's though not a practitioner of Thelema as she developed her own school of sex magick & workings. I would think Jimmy would be quite interested indeed in meeting Ms. Norton and vice versa as Zep would have been right up her ally. Also, Norton was extremely well known in Australia & the UK due to her bohemian / scandalous lifestyle which she absolutely reveled in.

Not to my knowledge.

51 minutes ago, 3hrsoflunacy said:

Hi Steve,

I have 1 track labeled Australia Radio 1994 that I am trying to get more information regarding the date of the recording. It is one track of No Quarter, performed only with Jimmy on acoustic guitar and Robert singing (obviously). At the end of the song, Jimmy strums a few bars of Kashmir and the announcer comes on to say, "Nice, yay, the crack goes off behind glass walls, this is a special edition of the fast lane, that was great." And then it fades out. I know the 2 were in Australia in November, 1994. Being the human Jimmy Page GPS machine that you are, can you shed any further light on this recording? Perhaps, someone from Australia might know more about the program?? I would be happy to upload the track to a file sharing host and pm you the link if it would assist in any way. Thanks in advance.

SYDNEY, Australia (Nov 16, 1994) -- Page & Plant interviewed by Richard Stubbs of MMM FM Radio and they perform acoustic version of 'No Quarter'…aired btw 4-5 pm.

• 5 months later...
On 11/21/2009 at 1:39 AM, SteveAJones said:

John Paul Jones with Herbie Goins and The Nightimers (1960s)

In the Led Zeppelin book 'The Origin of the Species' by Adam Clayson, he states (pg 73) that John Paul Jones used to play organ for Herbie Goins and the Nightimers to let off steam after his studio sessions. Seeking further specifics/confirmation of this via anecdotes, gig advertisements, photographs and so forth. I put this inquiry forward today to Mr. Goins in Rome and am awaiting a reply.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

American singer Herbie Goins found himself in London after leaving the US armed forces in 1963. In 1964 he formed a band called the Nightimers and set about bringing soul music to the UK.

Goins' first documented recordings are believed to be a guest spot as a featured vocalist on Alexis Korner's "Live At The Cavern" LP from 64. Goins' "No.1 In Your Heart" LP was the only full length the band released, although there is a 7″ EP & at least 2-3 45s as well. The album features tracks recorded both in 1966 & 1967, they are a mix of covers & originals. They are all really great soul & the album appears to have been released or re-released under a couple of different titles: "Soul Soul Soul" & "Soultime". There seems to be some speculation as to if the LP features John McLaughlin on guitar or not, because although he was the original guitarist in the Nightimers, he left the band in late 1966. One of his compositions "Cruisin'" still appears on the LP.

This from HerbieGoins.com:

After some years with Alexis Korner Herbie forms his own group, The Nightimers, and orients himself mostly towards Rhythm and Blues. Once again he has in his band great talent musicians like John Mc Laughlin at the guitar, just to tell one name. It is an immediate success. Herbie becomes one of the favourite singers of the Mods, a movement really very important in England at that time. They follow him in all the historical London Clubs, such as Flamingo, Marquee, Sylibles. His song “Number One in Your Heart” becomes Mods’ hymn. EMI engages him and his records enter in the charts in most of the European countries and, after years, will become great demand for collectors of rare records.

During this time, memorable are the jam sessions of Herbie with Otis Redding (in concert at the Scoth Club of London), with John Lee Hooker (in concert at the Norwick Jazz Club at Norwick), and with Jimi Hendrix, still unknown and present at the Blaises Club in London every Monday for the appointment with Herbie’s concert.

One of the great fans of Herbie Goins was a young Robert Plant, who, today, still remembers his songs word by word (also Robert Plant, after time, became part of the Alexis Korner Blues Incorporated).

This from forum member swandown:

My notes show that this took place in 1966, when John McLaughlin was a member of the Night Timers (Jones and McLaughlin had previously played together in Jet Harris & Tony Meehan's backing band, and McLaughlin subsequently invited Jones to jam with the Night Timers).

sam_webmaster, if an opportunity presents itself, please consider asking JPJ if he recalls anything at all about the above. Twelve years into the search, I have still found nothing further about it.

• 8 months later...

Steve, did the band have an official announcer/DJ for the 1975 Tour? It seems like before the band hits the stage, the same man announces "Ladies and Gentlemen, the American return of Led Zeppelin!"  Maybe I am off but it sounds like the same person for different locations. Thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

2 questions mystery lovers regarding IMTOD at Earls Court.....

At one point it (at the gates of heaven, (drops) won't you let me in) looks like Robert drops to his knees as he seems to drop below the camera - I'm almost certain of it. Are there any pics of this? Seems like it would be a rippa shot to get and I don't ever recall having seen one.

When did Jimmy start doing the hand gesture at the breaks when he sweeps his playing hand left to right? I'm wondering if that was an idea born in rehearsals for the '75 tour???

Cheers.