Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

I was assuming that the circles on the cover were created by human artists specifically for the album art?

Oh, I see. No, the crop circles were not created specifically for the album art. They were a pre-existing phenomena which were "appropriated" for use on the album cover,

just as the Giants Causeway in Ireland was "appropriated" for use on the HOTH album

cover.

Oh, I see. No, the crop circles were not created specifically for the album art. They were a pre-existing phenomena which were "appropriated" for use on the album cover,

just as the Giants Causeway in Ireland was "appropriated" for use on the HOTH album

cover.

Do you know who took the photograph, and if it was taken specifically for the Led Zeppelin cover?

Do you know who took the photograph, and if it was taken specifically for the Led Zeppelin cover?

Great question! I don't have my copy within arm's reach at the moment. Perhaps someone here who does can check to see if a photog credit was assigned. It's

worth noting most of the images on Presence were simply clipped from old mags.

The image of the air raid warden looking skyward on the Over Europe 1980 tour

poster also was lifted from a magazine (front cover of Life, if I remember right).

Anyway, if no one replies with the answer concerning the Boxed Set/Remasters

photo of the crop circles I'll dig mine out and see what it says.

I pulled out the book that came with the box set and it says:

Cover Images by Mission Control, Bristol England

Design Coordination: Richard Hutchison

Imaging and Photography: Chris Wroe and Jenny Moore

Booklet Design: Larry Freemantle

Box Set Production: Yves Beauvais.

I pulled out the book that came with the box set and it says:

Cover Images by Mission Control, Bristol England

Design Coordination: Richard Hutchison

Imaging and Photography: Chris Wroe and Jenny Moore

Booklet Design: Larry Freemantle

Box Set Production: Yves Beauvais.

I know there is a group who are professional crop circle artists and do commercial work in the UK. So I guess it's looking like this crop circle has been created specifically for this album cover?

Chris Wroe Interview

I did a Google search on Chris Wroe and Crop Circles and found this interview with him on the Tiswas Site; it's about 3/4 of they way down the page. He talks a little about the cover...hope this helps... :)

Cool, thanks.

So Robert came up with the shadow idea? (That's the impression I got from reading it). B)

Chris Wroe Interview

I did a Google search on Chris Wroe and Crop Circles and found this interview with him on the Tiswas Site; it's about 3/4 of they way down the page. He talks a little about the cover...hope this helps... :)

Fantastic find! Chris mentioned he was commissioned to work at the Knebworth '90 event just a few weeks prior and his all access pass enabled him to hob nob with the artists. Robert & Jimmy both performed that day so I wouldn't be surprised if their paths crossed and his name came up as a result when they contacted Richard Hutchinson. I

imagine Atlantic's "closely guarded" original cover art idea was pretty insipid for them

to reject it on such short notice.

LED ZEPPELIN REMASTERS

I got a call one day from Richard Hutchinson, whose team we had used for the animation for Bedrock. He said he needed some images for a best of Led Zep album to represent each of the members. I was gobsmacked, couldn't quite believe it then set about creating them. it meant me travelling around mid Wales for a couple of weeks trying to get into the vibe of the whole thing. I went to the legendary cottage in which the band wrote much of Led Zep 4: Bron-y-aur and eventually evolved this concept of landmarks using the celtic runes that the band were famous for. As it transpired it was a photo taken by my then girlfriend now my wife Jenny, which changed the direction of things. She took a photo of ice on her flat window and we thought it looked like the feather from Robert Plant's logo. I added a distorted circle and hey presto, the rest of the shots fell into place. 'Hutch' had to fly to New York for approval by Jimmy page and Robert Plant at Atlantic Records HQ.

A few days later i got a call from "Hutch" Do I want the good news or the bad news! They liked the stuff we had done, but they hated the cover which Atlantic had jealously guarded. Could we do the cover, but we only had a week!!!...

As things do something always turns up and the following week a guitarist friend of mine: Kevin Brown rang up and said look in the Daily Mirror, which had a picture of the first really big Crop Circles. This started a chain of coincidences that we like to think were mystical and a few days later after Kevin's appearance at Womad we were walking around exploring said Crop Circle. We got really excited about it and my colleague Phil suggested we could do something for the Zep sleeve on those lines. The landmark idea had already materialised but we had been working on a mystical idea using elements from all the Zep sleeves. It took a call to Robert Plant and Hutch ran through the suggestions. Robert said why not just lay the shadow over the existing circle...the rest is history.

Steve, what's this:

Led-Zeppelin-Led-Zeppelins-Juk-378006.jpg

Link: http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=378006

All songs by Led Zeppelin? Like Tribute?

All the info you need is in the link you provided. B)

LED ZEPPELIN / VARIOUS Led Zeppelin's Jukebox (2006 UK 25-track CD album, this compilation contains tracks that influenced one of the greatest bands since rock 'n' roll began, included here are recordings from Elvis Presley, Leadbelly, Howlin' Wolf, BB King & Sonny Boy Williamson amongst others, presented in sealed card slipcase with 16-page booklet illustrated with rare photographes).

1. ELVIS PRESLEY - Baby, Let's Play House

2. B. B. KING - Three O'Clock Blues

3. ELMORE JAMES - Dust My Broom

4. HOWLIN' WOLF - No Place To Go

5. HOWLIN' WOLF - Evil

6. CHARLES MINGUS - Haitian Fight Song

7. BILL BILL BROONZY - Truckin' Little Woman

8. RAY CHARLES - I Got A Woman

9. GENE KRUPTA & BUDDY RICH - The Drum Battle

10. TINY BRADSHAW - The Train Kept A-Rollin'

11. MUDDY WATERS - Mannish Boy

12. SONNY BOY WILLIAMSON I - Good Morning Little Schoolgirl

13. SONNY BOY WILLIAMSON II - Eyesight To The Blind

14. SNOOKS EAGLIN - Bottle Up And Go

15. CHUCK BERRY - Maybellene

16. LITTLE RICHARD - Tutti Frutti

17. ROBERT JOHNSON - Travelling Riverside Blues

18. ART McKAY - She Squeezed My Lemon

19. LEADBELLY - Gallis Pole

20. MEMPHIS MINNIE & KANSAS JOE McCOY - When The Levee Breaks

21. BLIND BOY FULLER - I Want Some Of Your Pie

22. JOSH WHITE - In My Time Of Dying

23. BLIND WILLIE JOHNSON - Nobody's Fault But Mine

24. ELVIS PRESLEY - Mystery Train

25. JOHN LEE HOOKER - Boogie Chillin

Question for the host, or any of you other knowledgable people - where/when was this photo taken? I would dearly love to hear the music that Led (heh) to this:

2639528176_3435259250_o.jpg

Thank you kindly!

Edited by SunChild

Question for the host, or any of you other knowledgable people - where/when was this photo taken? I would dearly love to hear the music that Led (heh) to this:

2639528176_3435259250_o.jpg

Thank you kindly!

1977 North American Tour, obviously. The "music" which accompanied it is most likely

Jimmy's theremin solo, as he usually went to the front of the stage and fell to his knees

during that segment. If you have the name of the photographer it may help to pinpoint

exactly which concert.

Which something? Robert was on in 1978 and 1982.

Steve, I believe I confirmed to you quite some time ago that I was an"attendee" at that Stray Cats gig and it was indeed the Hammersmith. I don't remember it being "Little Sister" though, but my memory can be a bit shite and it was a bit of a party night. He attended with Charlie Jones (they arrived on his motorbike) and they met up with Carmen there.

And yeah, I was at the TTTV Tube taping too and know exactly the stories behind it being pulled, knowing the staff behind the taping too - and there is NO footage of it anywhere in public - Robert paid TTTV £20,000 to have the show pulled and all footage was handed to him as part of the deal.

Woody - is that you? :D:D

Thank you Knebby,

One saturday morning I caught Chris Tarrant on Tiswas Saying on the show, Robert &

John had been on the week before and here was answer to their question picks name out

of the postbag...They won some promo stuff Chris Tarrant wore a Ittod T-shirt it must be late

1979.....Anyone could shed any light.

Not quite all you wanted to know about Led Zeppelin but you were afraid to ask,

Jimmy Page/Roy harper Advertisement the video, the Cambridge folk festival clips seems to have

vanished?.......Steve?

Not quite all you wanted to know about Led Zeppelin but you were afraid to ask,

Jimmy Page/Roy harper Advertisement the video, the Cambridge folk festival clips seems to have vanished?.......Steve?

What, from You Tube or something? Roy maintains his own website now so they may have had them pulled. There are clips from the Cambridge Festival gig with Jimmy in

the commercially released VHS 'Roy Harper - Live In Your Living Room'.

Thank you Knebby,

One saturday morning I caught Chris Tarrant on Tiswas Saying on the show, Robert &

John had been on the week before and here was answer to their question picks name out

of the postbag...They won some promo stuff Chris Tarrant wore a Ittod T-shirt it must be late

1979.....Anyone could shed any light.

Here are the details on Tiswas appearances.

September 23rd 1978

Tiswas-1978.jpg

October 17th 1981

tiswasplant.jpg

Youtube clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBpZ6xthCgY

Those screen caps were great. Thanks for posting that. In this one he looks like he's reading the kiddies a bedtime story. lol Or perhaps he's telling them anecdotes of the 1973 tour. :D

5n1zdy.jpg

Where was this indoor shoot-out segment filmed?

2007_02SoundsCropped.jpg

This 1976 Warner Brothers publicity still from the film The Song Remains The Same shows an indoor segment of the opening shoot-out sequence.

I know the outdoor shoot-out with the car and the gunmen was filmed at Hammerwood, a property in East Grinstead which Jimmy and Peter Grant purchased circa 1972 with a view towards renovating it and equipping it with recording facilties. Anyway, when I met with it's current owner, David Pinnegar, and showed him all my publicity stills and outtake photos from the TSRTS, he was adamant the indoor shoot-out could not possibly have been filmed there as the windows and walls don't match any room in the structure.

Having conducted a site survey of Peter Grant's Horselunges Manor and Jimmy's Plumpton Place and Tower House, I'm convinced there aren't any rooms there matching the one depicted in the publicity still either. This leaves a few possibilities which come to mind:

Warner Brother's Studios in California

Unlikely given all the other fantasy segments were filmed in England & Scotland.

John Paul Jones' home near Devon, depicted in JPJ's fantasy segment

Unfortunately, John has never made any comments to support it was filmed there.

Alexandria Palace

The site where JPJ's solo on the grand organ was filmed. Possible.

Shepperton Studios near London

The site where the on-stage reenactments were filmed in Autumn '74. Quite possible.

Any assistance would be appreciated. This is so obscure it may take a band member to confirm, as JPJ did previously with the location of his moonlit horse ride.

Edited by SteveAJones

1977 North American Tour, obviously. The "music" which accompanied it is most likely

Jimmy's theremin solo, as he usually went to the front of the stage and fell to his knees

during that segment. If you have the name of the photographer it may help to pinpoint

exactly which concert.

Obviously from the costume, I suppose. But, I was hoping for the actual show. I do not know the photographer, either - anyone?

Thanks for the info at any rate, I didn't know that was a regular part of his performance.

Do you know what colour underpants John Bonham was wearing in Santa Pod, 1973?

Ahem...

Here's a serious question for the oracle that is Mr Steve A Jones (not the Sex Pistol).

Japan - 29.09.71. Legendary show. What is the true source of the the famous "soundboard tape" ?

Monitor mix, from the desk?

Or indeed recorded from the stage? With two "on stage" mics? (Why would the band do this?)

There's a discussion going on elsewhere on the www. It's the kind of site that deals with music, rather than underpants...

Over to you, Mr Steve A Jones!!

Where was this indoor shoot-out segment filmed?

2007_02SoundsCropped.jpg

This 1976 Warner Brothers publicity still from the film The Song Remains The Same shows an indoor segment of the opening shoot-out sequence.

I know the outdoor shoot-out with the car and the gunmen was filmed at Hammerwood, a property in East Grinstead which Jimmy and Peter Grant purchased circa 1972 with a view towards renovating it and equipping it with recording facilties. Anyway, when I met with it's current owner, David Pinnegar, and showed him all my publicity stills and outtake photos from the TSRTS, he was adamant the indoor shoot-out could not possibly have been filmed there as the windows and walls don't match any room in the structure.

Having conducted a site survey of Peter Grant's Horselunges Manor and Jimmy's Plumpton Place and Tower House, I'm convinced there aren't any rooms there matching the one depicted in the publicity still either. This leaves a few possibilities which come to mind:

Warner Brother's Studios in California

Unlikely given all the other fantasy segments were filmed in England & Scotland.

John Paul Jones' home near Devon, depicted in JPJ's fantasy segment

Unfortunately, John has never made any comments to support it was filmed there.

Alexandria Palace

The site where JPJ's solo on the grand organ was filmed. Possible.

Shepperton Studios near London

The site where the on-stage reenactments were filmed in Autumn '74. Quite possible.

Any assistance would be appreciated. This is so obscure it may take a band member to confirm, as JPJ did previously with the location of his moonlit horse ride.

I have no actual knowledge to share, but would hazard a guess this was filmed on a soundstage, from the bright quality of the light coming in the windows, and the stage smoke all around.

I have no actual knowledge to share, but would hazard a guess this was filmed on a soundstage, from the bright quality of the light coming in the windows, and the stage smoke all around.

Not necessarily, but most likely. I would have to find time to go back and look at the sequence to decide if it was a built set or an existing building.

It could have been shot in a shed somewhere, rather than a soundstage, as all the sound in that sequence was created in post-production anyway.

Would hazard a guess this was filmed on a soundstage, from the bright quality of the light coming in the windows, and the stage smoke all around.

Hmm, worth considering. I perceived the "sunlight" to be natural and the exhaust fan in

the upper corner to suggest its a genuine exterior wall but as you and Cactus point out, it could merely be a soundstage, and if so it would seem to suggest it was Shepperton Film Studios.