Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Did he ask the firemen if they knew of a good chimney sweeper? :lol:

I remember posting eight months ago about the Robert Plant house fire (1978) and I'm still waiting for a worthwhile reply. I could get into the hassles Robert encountered in the early 90s with his local council concerning a window renovation on his historic home but I imagine no one besides myself gives the aforementioned rat's ass about it.

Edited by SteveAJones

I wonder why Plant changed the spelling? It's Hobbstweedle in Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.

Also I am having a rethink of that Reid date. Reid talks about seeing Bonham with Plant. Bonham was not in Obstweedle. He was in of course Band of Joy. Either Reid is confused or he is talking about the tour he did do with Band of Joy in March 1968. Interestingly Tim Rose headlined this tour when he saw John Bonham perform for the first time, as Band of Joy was his opening act. Hmmmmmm

"Robert and I lost contact for two or three months..." - John Bonham

Please note Robert Plant himself confirmed the correct spelling is Obstweedle (during interview conducted in Toronto on July 4, 1998).

I remember posting eight months ago about the Robert Plant house fire (1978) and I'm still waiting for a worthwhile reply. I could get into the hassles Robert encountered in the early 90s with his local council concerning a window renovation on his historic home but I imagine no one besides myself gives the aforementioned rat's ass about it.

That would also be a different house, as the chimney fire was at Jennings Farm which he personally moved out of in 1983.

Steve,this probably doesn't belong on your thread,but if anyone knows,it's gotta be you.

Do Page and Plant have direct lines of communication with each other?

I mean,could Jimmy dial Robert up and say,"Robert,what's with this 'watch your sorghum drip,can't keep away'stuff?Has Nashville muddled your belfry?"

Or Robert.."Jimmy, we're a little east of Tupelo,eating a fine meal of pork chops and fried okra.They have velvet Elvis tapestries here.How many do you need?"

Kidding aside,I'm curious if they can dial each other up...or do they have to go through "handlers"to talk one on one?

I can just about picture JPJ number listed in the public directory.Unassuming.

Is it a situation of "have my people get in touch with your people"or is it more personable when rock royalty deals with rock royalty?

Well who can guess as to the dynamic of their relationship? I am sure that with some business decisions, things are handled by management, which is not uncommon. One of the most important functions of an agent/manager is to insulate their client from potentially stressful or embarrassing situations. They now have different representation which apparently made the O2 negotiations more complex.

However, I do remember in a recent (last 10 years) interview, Jimmy was asked if he and Robert still talk, and Jimmy's response was something like;

"The other day I was getting the family ready to go out for the day and the phone rang. It was Robert on for a chat and I said 'Christ, Robert I've got everybody in the car, can't talk now'." He went on to say they talk fairly regularly.

I have noticed recently that there is a phenomenon where people think that having an 'entourage' is a desirable thing. Having 'people' to do things for you had become the goal, and not a product of success. But it's a drag, it's not a healthy way to be.

RP and JP are good mates, they both did their best work with each other, and have known each other for decades through all sorts of trials and good times. I very much doubt they would insulate themselves from each other in that way.

Actually, not that it matters that much as the point is the same, but the interview was with Robert, from Blender, 2002.

Q. How did your last telephone call with Jimmy Page go?

A. What an excellent question. It was December 21, 2001. I said, "Hey, Jim, how's it going?" He said, "Oh, Christ, I can't talk now; everybody's in the car waiting to go." That was it. Word for word. I've seen him since, but that was the last telephone call I had with him.

[sorry to be such an anorak! I imagine things have changed since 2001, anyway.]

Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones can and most assuredly do call each other directly. One such occasion was in 1987 when Robert called Jimmy to invite him to come to the studio and contribute to his 'Now & Zen' album. A date was arranged and Jimmy recorded solos for 'Heaven Knows' and 'Tall Cool One' in just one afternoon.

In November 1983 Jimmy rang up Paul Rodgers to inquire if he fancied playing with him on the ARMS tour in America…Paul readily accepted. When he got to Los Angeles the

following month he immediately called Richard Cole. Jimmy also maintained a tradition of calling Ronnie Lane every year on his birthday (April 1st) to express birthday wishes and warm regards. These are a few examples of Jimmy reaching out to touch someone so to speak.

In contrast, Slash and Axl Rose haven't spoken directly to one another for nearly eight years and not long ago Axl went so far as to have Slash turned away from attending a Guns n Roses gig but then their relationship is far more acrimonious.

Looks like the answer is yes...

Collaboration is indeed the key.

... and Aquamarine, I still haven't gotten used to that use of the word 'anorak'. To me, it's a kind of jacket or coat. :lol:

House of Blues - The Joint 8430 Sunset Boulevard

The Joint is part of the House of Blues complex.

That's a new one on me. The Joint is a small club on Pico Blvd where Terry Reid does a regular weekly gig on a Monday night. Maybe something changed but I never heard of it being anything to do with the HOB

Edited by rdobirdman

So far as I know Jimmy never approached Winwood, who, like Reid, was steadily building

his own career. I tell you what though, I saw Winwood perform at the Ahmet Ertegun Tribute in Montreux, Switzerland back in 2006 and IMHO he flat out stole the show. He

did a rendition of 'Georgia On My Mind' that would've made Ray Charles weep. Robert

Plant also performed that night. Jimmy was to have joined Robert but cancelled the day

prior on account of medical concerns with his knee.

Who are you to presume what Ray Charles would do? And why is Steve Winwood playing another label's song at an Ahmet Ertegun Atlantic tribute?

Anyone knows that Georgia On My Mind was recorded by ABC-Paramount Records.

That's a new one on me. The Joint is a small club on Pico Blvd where Terry Reid does a regular weekly gig on a Monday night. Maybe something changed but I never heard of it being anything to do with the HOB

Right, the "Big Mondays..." Waddy Watchell and company. Except Terry is no longer there - he moved to Palm Desert sometime around 2006, give or take a few years :blink:

I'll look into this further. Either an error was made for that entry or something changed.

Thanks!

Why is Steve Winwood playing another label's song at an Ahmet Ertegun Atlantic tribute? Anyone knows that Georgia On My Mind was recorded by ABC-Paramount Records.

...Atlantic Records purchased Ray Charles recording contract from Swingtime in '52. So Ray was originally on Atlantic Records before moving to ABC-Paramount in '58. He was born in Georgia; his 'Georgia on My Mind' is merely a cover of Hoagy Carmichael's 1930 standard.

This from stevewinwood.com (2006):

At the recent Montreux Jazz Festival, Steve participated in a tribute to Ahmet Ertegun. Steve received a standing ovation after his performances of "Georgia on My Mind" and "Can't Find My Way Home." Steve selected the latter composition, as Blind Faith originally was released on Atco Records (a subsidiary of Atlantic Records) in the USA. Steve also played Hammond Organ alongside George Duke at the finale. Also joining in were Chic & Nile Rodgers, Robert Plant, Stevie Nicks and Kid Rock. It was an improvised jam -- one of those moments where things aren't planned, but turn out very special indeed.

Edited by SteveAJones

...Atlantic Records purchased Ray Charles recording contract from Swingtime in '52. So Ray was originally on Atlantic Records before moving to ABC-Paramount in '58. He was born in Georgia; his 'Georgia on My Mind' is merely a cover of Hoagy Carmichael's 1930 standard.

This from stevewinwood.com (2006):

At the recent Montreux Jazz Festival, Steve participated in a tribute to Ahmet Ertegun. Steve received a standing ovation after his performances of "Georgia on My Mind" and "Can't Find My Way Home." Steve selected the latter composition, as Blind Faith originally was released on Atco Records (a subsidiary of Atlantic Records) in the USA. Steve also played Hammond Organ alongside George Duke at the finale. Also joining in were Chic & Nile Rodgers, Robert Plant, Stevie Nicks and Kid Rock. It was an improvised jam -- one of those moments where things aren't planned, but turn out very special indeed.

Kid Rock?well that may explain the tears.

Anyone who thinks the whole 'jam' at the end was improvised is nuts. They are always planned in advance.

I'm still waiting for that to come out on DVD. I personally thought it was Paolo Nutini who stole the show (and I have adored Steve Winwood for as long as I can remember)

(Kid Rock ought to keep a closer check on his sunglasses)

(And as for Jimmy's knee - :coffee: )

Anyone who thinks the whole 'jam' at the end was improvised is nuts. They are always planned in advance.

I'm still waiting for that to come out on DVD. I personally thought it was Paolo Nutini who stole the show (and I have adored Steve Winwood for as long as I can remember)

I've seen some footage and yes, it would be great to see the whole thing on dvd. Was Paolo the one who was nervous about being out there with everyone and Robert encouraged him to step forward as he very much belonged there too?

Claude Nobs has a Montreux Jazz Festival audio/video archive on par with Bill Graham's (Wolfgang's Vault). He may have recorded JPJ's set with Etta James (7/11/75) as well as Count Basie and His Orchestra (7/19/75) which JPJ took Bonzo to see. Robert's gig

in '93 was telecast but the pro-shot Page/Plant (6/29/01) and Tribute to Ahmet Ertegun

remain unreleased.

Have to agree about the knee -- Jimmy was spotted out on the town (in London) with Ross Halfin the same frigging night, though he did cancel his festival appearance with Roy Harper a couple months later as well.

Claude Nobs has a Montreux Jazz Festival audio/video archive on par with Bill Graham's (Wolfgang's Vault). He may have recorded JPJ's set with Etta James (7/11/75) as well as Count Basie and His Orchestra (7/19/75) which JPJ took Bonzo to see. Robert's gig

in '93 was telecast but the pro-shot Page/Plant (6/29/01) and Tribute to Ahmet Ertegun

remain unreleased.

"Baby Let's Play House" (from 2001) was aired on Japanese TV a while back. Also, another artist that JPJ played with at the '75 festival was Maria Muldaur.

"Baby Let's Play House" (from 2001) was aired on Japanese TV a while back. Also, another artist that JPJ played with at the '75 festival was Maria Muldaur.

I hadn't heard of a JPJ set with Maria Muldaur. I know they were staying with Claude

at the time, living as tax exiles. I'll see if I can confirm which night she performed, if

you haven't already.

I'd love to get Jimmy & Robert's 'Baby Let's Play House' from 2001 as I was there. I do

have a perfect audience recording and acquired an audience-shot video from the gig.

July 7 2001

Stravinski Auditorium

Montreux, Switzerland

Total Timing : 00:26:40

Robert Plant (vocal)

Jimmy Page (guitar)

Mike Watts (drums)

Ian Jennings (double bass)

1. Good Rockin` Tonight (02:49)

2. Bucket (02:18)

3. Heart In Your Hand (04:19)

4. Candy Store Rock (03:46)

6. Wolf Moaning At Midnight (04:36)

5. Endless Sleep (03:06)

7. My Baby Left Me (03:02)

8. Baby Let`s Play House (02:44)

Edited by SteveAJones

I hadn't heard of a JPJ set with Maria Muldaur. I know they were staying with Claude

at the time, living as tax exiles. I'll see if I can confirm which night she performed, if

you haven't already.

I'd love to get Jimmy & Robert's 'Baby Let's Play House' from 2001 as I was there. I do

have a perfect audience recording and acquired an audience-shot video from the gig.

I would love to see any of their 2001 performance. I have Robert's from 1993 on dvd but I've not even seen any footage of Robert and Jimmy. Bet it was a great gig.

Also, another artist that JPJ played with at the '75 festival was Maria Muldaur.

For a moment I thought you were probably saying he played on her single 'Midnight At The Oasis' (not during her 1975 Montreux Jazz Festival appearance). It seems he DID

join her and that single was the second song she performed the night of July 20, 1975.

Here's an excellent site for researching everything about the Montreux Jazz Festival:

http://www.montreuxsounds.com/

Edited by SteveAJones

"The Paganini of the Seventies", a feature article interview in Melody Maker by journalist Chris Welch at Page's Pangbourne house. 14th February 1970.

Meg

Don't know, but, does anyone have an explanation for why he has such great taste in art and such funny taste in trousers? (Well, circa this photo...) ;)

More seriously, there are several photos that seem to be part of this shoot... maybe someone can identify or locate the interview/article they ended up in?

For a moment I thought you were probably saying he played on her single 'Midnight At The Oasis' (not during her 1975 Montreux Jazz Festival appearance). It seems he DID

join her and that single was the second song she performed the night of July 20, 1975.

Here's an excellent site for researching everything about the Montreux Jazz Festival:

http://www.montreuxsounds.com/

Maria's bass player at the time was her husband (and long time Garcia co-conspiritor) John Kahn. In fact Maria was singing in Jerry's band for a short time.