Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Does anyone know where and when this concert was and what and who is on the stage?

LZ69concert.jpg

Huh! Never saw that pic before! Is it possible it was when Keith Moon joined them on stage? Looks like it could be the result of something Moon was involved in :lol:

Huh! Never saw that pic before! Is it possible it was when Keith Moon joined them on stage? Looks like it could be the result of something Moon was involved in :lol:

Zep jamming with Blodwyn Pig, June 1969 in the UK. I think...

Love,

Billy

Book writers and webmasters everywhere please note Hobbstweedle is in Lord of the Rings, but Robert Plant altered the spelling for his band in '68:

"Obstweedle" -- direct quote from Robert in response to inquiry, Toronto, July 4 1998

1969_06_09Birmingham.jpg

Mothers in Birmingham

June 8 1968

Scan courtesy of dazedjeffy

Book writers and webmasters everywhere please note Hobbstweedle is in Lord of the Rings, but Robert Plant altered the spelling for his band in '68:

"Obstweedle" -- direct quote from Robert in response to inquiry, Toronto, July 4 1998

1969_06_09Birmingham.jpg

Mothers in Birmingham

June 8 1968

Scan courtesy of dazedjeffy

Corrected, but newspapers shouldn't be trusted for getting names right :) Remember Led Zeppelin was billed at the (Gonzaga University) Kennedy Pavilion ad on their first US tour as "Len Zefflin".

spokane68-ad.jpg

Corrected, but newspapers shouldn't be trusted for getting names right :) Remember Led Zeppelin was billed at the (Gonzaga University) Kennedy Pavilion ad on their first US tour as "Len Zefflin".

Robert Plant can generally be trusted to get the spelling and name right for each band he formed. Bottom line is the direct quote made on 7/4/98 of "Obstweedle" from Robert Plant himself to this very specific inquiry is significant substantiation the books and websites using Hobbstweedle are inaccurate. That I have his response on videotape makes the evidence irrefutable.

The 1968 advertisement provided here shows there exists at least one example of

historical documentation to support the direct quote Robert made thirty years later.

The inclusion of that apostrophe (Obs' tweedle) in the advert arguably remains a point of contention insofar as accuracy. The inflection in his voice leads me to believe the

inclusion of the apostrophe is correct, but I am avidly seeking further examples/proof.

Aquamarine - Robert was founding member and singer in Obstweedle. It was very much "his" band. He'd disbanded Robert Plant and his Band of Joy in May 1968 and performed a few club gigs with Alexis Korner before forming this band, his last before joining Led Zeppelin.

Edited by SteveAJones

Thanks--yes I know, but what I mean is that there's a difference in being a founding member and it being HIS band. Just wondered.

On the subject of apostrophes, and apart from the fact that many people use apostophes incorrectly :whistling: , Mr Plant would seem to be one of them, as witness "Achilles Last Stand" and "All the Kings Horses" (there are probably other examples). Not an apostrophe to be seen!

Edit: OK, you answered my first question while I was typing. So he was the guy in charge, as it were.

Edited by Aquamarine

Robert Plant can generally be trusted to get the spelling and name right for each band he formed. Bottom line is the direct quote made on 7/4/98 of "Obstweedle" from Robert Plant himself to this very specific inquiry is significant substantiation the books and websites using Hobbstweedle are inaccurate. That I have his response on videotape makes the evidence irrefutable.

The 1968 advertisement provided here shows there exists at least one example of

historical documentation to support the direct quote Robert made thirty years later.

The inclusion of that apostrophe (Obs' tweedle) in the advert arguably remains a point of contention insofar as accuracy. The inflection in his voice leads me to believe the

inclusion of the apostrophe is correct, but I am avidly seeking further examples/proof.

Aquamarine - Robert was founding member and singer in Obstweedle. It was very much "his" band. He'd disbanded Robert Plant and his Band of Joy in May 1968 and performed a few club gigs with Alexis Korner before forming this band, his last before joining Led Zeppelin.

Was it billed as Robert Plant and his Band of Joy or just Band of Joy? I know there were two incarnations of the group (at least my shaky memory tells me). Just curious.

I'm using only ones and zeros here. The rest is magic.

Aren't we all, such is the binary system that lives inside our computers--and you are the sorcerer's apprentice!

However, as RP never quite got the hang of apostrophe use, my feeling is that its use in that ad was incorrect. He would have been more inclined to leave them out than to put them in, unnecessarily.

Was it billed as Robert Plant and his Band of Joy or just Band of Joy? I know there were two incarnations of the group (at least my shaky memory tells me). Just curious.

There was inconsistency in their billing, essentially semantic, and to a far lesser extent than Led Zeppelin would experience.

Robert joined the lineup for "The Band of Joy" in January 1967, with at least two other lineups employed later in the year. They began a Sunday night residency at The Ship and Rainbow in Wolverhampton, arranged thru Nita Anderson Presentations. Their residency was ultimately terminated on account of objectionable lyrics, and Robert was fired soonafter for telling the drummer he was slowing down.

By Summer '67, Robert was back in The Band of Joy and John Bonham joined the group.

Around this time, the band began to be billed consistently as "Robert Plant and his Band of Joy". I have specific examples of this from three tours of Scotland they completed, in

addition to a number of UK gigs. Towards the end of the year and on into early '68,

they were occasionally billed as "Robert Plant and Band of Joy", "Robert Plant's Band of Joy" and "Robert Plant and the Band of Joy".

Edited by SteveAJones

However, as RP never quite got the hang of apostrophe use, my feeling is that its use in that ad was incorrect. He would have been more inclined to leave them out than to put them in, unnecessarily.

Excellent observation! Finding further examples of old adverts from this point in his career can be very difficult, but I certainly hope more will surface and this matter

resolved, completely and accurately, once and for all. Perhaps Robert may elect to

discuss it once again in a future interview, but he's so forward-focused I doubt it.

Thanks--yes I know, but what I mean is that there's a difference in being a founding member and it being HIS band. Just wondered.

Edit: OK, you answered my first question while I was typing. So he was the guy in charge, as it were.

Plant wasn't the first singer for the group. Their first singer for a short period was a guy called Robert Berry. So you can gather from that it wasn't Plant's band.

"I had nowhere to live," Robert recalls of those scuffling days in the blueswailing business, "and the keyboards player's dad had a pub in Wolverhampton with a spare room. The pub was right over the road from Noddy Holder's father's window cleaning business, and Noddy used to be our roadie. We used to go to gigs with Noddy Holder's dad's buckets crashing around on top of the van! And that," he divulges with an audible sigh of relief, "is when I met Pagey..."

"Robert Plant's Record Collection", Robert Plant's interview with Mat Snow in Q, May 1990.

The hotel Plant was living at was the Three Men In A Boat which he shared with two cats called Tipton and Dudley. The hotel was also a favourite drinking hole for John Bonham and it was also here Plant tried to get into contact with him to join Led Zeppelin.

According to the Slade biography by Chris Charlesworth, Robert after leaving the Band of Joy also auditioned as singer for Ambrose Slade (soon to be Slade) before joining Obbstweedle. The Three Men In A Boat pub was also used previously for rehearsals for Midlands band the In-Be-Tweens, which featured Noddy Holder on vocals and guitar.

Side trivia: Robert with band Listen in 1966 recorded a single called "You Better Run", which was later covered by the In-Be-Tweens.

Obbstweedle line-up:

Bill Bonham (cousin of John Bonham): organ, piano

Richard Brown: guitar

Mac Bailey: drums

Robert Plant: lead vocal

Barry Sargeant (replaced Bailey): drums

Edited by Meg Ireland

Plant wasn't the first singer for the group. Their first singer for a short period was a guy called Robert Berry. So you can gather from that it wasn't Plant's band.

Good catch! Your absolutely right. The original singer (Robert Berry) was apparently struck with food poisoning. I'd made an error in my notes which mislead me to believe Robert had formed them but he merely joined the existing lineup as their new singer.

-----------------------------

Perhaps this Jimmy quote is a primary source of confusion over the group's name:

"I went up to see him sing. He was in a group called Obstweedle or Hobbstweedle, something like that, who were playing at a teachers training college outside of Birmingham - to an audience of about twelve people... you know, a typical student set up, where drinking is the prime consideration and the group is only of secondary importance." Jimmy didn't care for the band's San Francisco outlook, "but Robert was fantastic, and having heard him that night, and having listened to a demo he had given me, I realized that without a doubt his voice had an exceptional and very distinctive quality." -- Jimmy Page, ZigZag magazine interview (1973)

Edited by SteveAJones

Pop Proms at the Royal Albert Hall, Sunday June 29, 1969. Members of Blodwyn Pig and the Liverpool Scene join Led Zeppelin on stage for the encore of "Long Tall Sally". The objects on the stage floor are flowers that were thrown there by members of the audience.

Meg

Does anyone know where and when this concert was and what and who is on the stage?

LZ69concert.jpg

oh is arabic... I thought that was Indian.. :blink: haha....

thanks...

Yallah originated within the Arabic language, but is also spoken amongst Hebrews

(it's meaning is "go") and Moroccans (loosely translated as "come on!" or "let's go!").

Robert undoubtedly became familiar with it during his many excursions to Morocco.