Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Meg, thanks so much for the information on that photo. From the looks of Robert and Jimmy, I thought it might be '69 but beyond that, I had no idea. I like that the audience threw flowers at them. :)

Looked like the stage in Vancouver Mar 70. What a great vibe. Where did it go ? :(

Hope you are not Lynn Truss, I was asked if Led Zeppelin have a Database,Do they?

I'm not Lynn Truss, who is Lynn Truss? I can't answer the question about any existing database. I'm sure someone on this forum would probably know of one, if one exists.

Claude Nobs has a Montreux Jazz Festival audio/video archive on par with Bill Graham's (Wolfgang's Vault). He may have recorded JPJ's set with Etta James (7/11/75) as well as Count Basie and His Orchestra (7/19/75) which JPJ took Bonzo to see. Robert's gig

in '93 was telecast but the pro-shot Page/Plant (6/29/01) and Tribute to Ahmet Ertegun

remain unreleased.

Have to agree about the knee -- Jimmy was spotted out on the town (in London) with Ross Halfin the same frigging night, though he did cancel his festival appearance with Roy Harper a couple months later as well.

Without commenting on what was happening at Montreux, Page had arthroscopic knee surgery in 2006, didn't he? Knee problems would hardly be unheard of for a man of his age.

Without commenting on what was happening at Montreux, Page had arthroscopic knee surgery in 2006, didn't he? Knee problems would hardly be unheard of for a man of his age.

A knee problem was cited as why he could not attend, and most were sympathetic to

that excuse, until it was learned he and Ross Halfin were out on the town together in London the same night.

A knee problem was cited as why he could not attend, and most were sympathetic to

that excuse, until it was learned he and Ross Halfin were out on the town together in London the same night.

Not to mention shopping the summer sales and such all over (London) town a few days later! :rolleyes:

Edited by AllisonAdler

Well, sitting around drinking and eating with a buddy isn't quite as demanding as standing (not to mention moving around) with a heavy guitar on stage.

Just playing devil's advocate, you understand. Maybe it was artistic or personal differences, and that's the polite excuse given, instead. But until I learn the actual story, I'm going with the fact (and it is a fact) that Page was suffering from knee pain at the time, enough to require eventual surgery.

I would probably get out of a hospital bed for a sale myself B)

There is that. :D

Well, sitting around drinking and eating with a buddy isn't quite as demanding as standing (not to mention moving around) with a heavy guitar on stage.

Just playing devil's advocate, you understand. Maybe it was artistic or personal differences, and that's the polite excuse given, instead. But until I learn the actual story, I'm going with the fact (and it is a fact) that Page was suffering from knee pain at the time, enough to require eventual surgery.

There is that. :D

Actually, SC, he was very much out and about all over London, on foot, without any appearance of difficulty (of course he might have had the good pain killers). He had the surgery some time before the show, btw, not after. Furthermore, the promoters at Montreux apparently knew well beforehand that Pagey wasn't going to show, and the knee thing was indeed the 'spin'. That is the actual story--I was there (at Montreux and in Selfridges!!).

Edited to add: and don't get me wrong, I'm sure Jimmy had his own good reasons for not wanting to be there.

Edited by AllisonAdler

Actually, SC, he was very much out and about all over London, on foot, without any appearance of difficulty (of course he might have had the good pain killers). He had the surgery some time before the show, btw, not after. Furthermore, the promoters at Montreux apparently knew well beforehand that Pagey wasn't going to show, and the knee thing was indeed the 'spin'. That is the actual story--I was there (at Montreux and in Selfridges!!).

Edited to add: and don't get me wrong, I'm sure Jimmy had his own good reasons for not wanting to be there.

Understood. Although to my mind, if the surgery was before, that's more reason not to perform, rather than less.

Anyway, the implication that it was some nefarious, last minute bald-faced lie without anyone ever giving details is what gets my goat, to be honest. If the promoters knew about it in advance, he covered his professional obligation. After that, either accept it at face value, or come out with what the real beef is. He bowed out on Roy Harper after that, and noone looked sideways.

Understood. Although to my mind, if the surgery was before, that's more reason not to perform, rather than less.

Anyway, the implication that it was some nefarious, last minute bald-faced lie without anyone ever giving details is what gets my goat, to be honest. If the promoters knew about it in advance, he covered his professional obligation. After that, either accept it at face value, or come out with what the real beef is. He bowed out on Roy Harper after that, and noone looked sideways.

Oh, it was only a last-minute thing (lie or whatever) on the part of the promoters--they announced it the evening before the show and had apparently known about it for weeks!

I don't doubt he had the surgery, in hindsight I just question if he made sufficient effort to at least attend, if only out of respect for Ahmet, who died soonafter. I wouldn't be surprised if having missed it played into his decision to do the 02 event the next year.

Oh, it was only a last-minute thing (lie or whatever) on the part of the promoters--they announced it the evening before the show and had apparently known for weeks!

This I really don't believe at all, for promoter Claude Nobs simply has too much integrity.

Bette Midler and Jeff Beck were two other notable no-shows at that event, and I don't recall their absence having been announced whatsoever. As I listened to Ahmet state

it was "the greatest night of my life" I could only imagine what possible excuse either

of them offered.

I had roundtrip airfare and two tickets for the Roy Harper gig about six weeks later which Jimmy also cancelled out on. Come the day I was so disappointed, I did not even go, disregarding altogether how much I would have enjoyed Roy's performance.

Edited by SteveAJones

And I'll back this up, having also been there with A.

The knee surgery must have been performed shortly after their appearance in Stockholm on 5/22/06. I believe the excuse for Jimmy not appearing was something to the effect of "recuperation from knee surgery slower than anticipated". Sounds plausible, though it may have been a convienent excuse if the whispers of tensions between them in Stockholm were based in truth.

Regardless, I don't think Claude Nobs would ever willfully mislead festival goers. He may have found himself in the middle of a situation beyond his control and simply held off until the last possible moment to allow for a change of heart or status. Important to

note once again Jimmy also cancelled his appearance with Roy Harper that August.

I don't regret at all having attended the Ahmet Ertegun Tribute in Montreux, I just felt he deserved full respect and support from all the artists who had committed to perform.

Edited by SteveAJones

I don't regret at all having attended the Ahmet Ertegun Tribute in Montreux, I just felt he deserved full respect and support from all the artists who had committed to perform.

Agree whole heartedly, and also believe that the fans who had bought tickets and travelled deserved some respect too.

Christ if Robert had been the last-minue no-show we would still be reading threads about it to this day. :rolleyes:

And interestingly, Jimmy had failed to turn up at a previous tribute to Ahmet - not a show, a dinner-do- a couple of years previously, also citing his health as the reason.

I note the presence of Locomotive, a band John Bonham once played in briefly. Also noted as well Bakerloo Blues Line which eventually became shortened to Bakerloo - great band, great blues-rock album of theirs.

Meg

Here's a promotional document from 1968 which confirms the name used for bookings was

Courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

With reference to my previous post ^^ a couple of clips:-

Ahmetdinner.jpg

ahmetdinner2.jpg

If you read under the pic of Robert with his then-girlfriend and Bill Curbishley, it notes that Jimmy Page missed the event "due to an injury".

Edited by Knebby