Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

They get honorable sexual mention on The Mothers Live at the Fillmore 1971 LP

.."robert planet"...yadda yadda

Heres some backing info for those that care... Lyrics to "The Mudshark"

Frank Zappa (guitar, dialog)

Mark Volman (lead vocals, dialog)

Howard Kaylan (lead vocals, dialog)

Ian Underwood (woodwinds, keyboards, vocals)

Aynsley Dunbar (drums)

Jim Pons (bass, vocals, dialog)

Bob Harris (keyboards, vocals)

Don Preston (mini-moog)

FZ: That's right, you heard right, the Secret Word for tonight is Mud Shark! And of course with the Mud Shark Secret Word is the Mud Shark Arpeggio . . . a marvellous little arpeggio, and now the mating call of the adult male Mud Shark . . .

Mud Sh-sh-shark

FZ: THE MUD SHARK DANCING LESSON!

Mud Sh-sh-shark

Mark: Wait a minute . . . we're gonna do a little dancing . . . a little dancing thing called the Mud Shark . . . Now, this dance started up in Seattle

Howard: Yes . . .

Mark: The story . . .

FZ: Lemme tell you the story 'bout the Mud Shark . . .

Mud Sh-sh-shark

FZ: Bring the band on down behind me, boys . . .

Howard: Say! Good God! Ain't it funky! Say!

FZ: The origins of the Mud Shark are as follows . . .

Mud Sh-sh-shark

FZ: There's a motel in Seattle, Washington, called the Edgewater Inn . . . The Edgewater Inn is built out on a pier . . . so that means that when you look out your window you don't see any dirt, it's . . . got a bay or something out in your backyard . . .

Mud Sh-sh-shark

FZ: And to make it even more interesting, in the lobby of the aforementioned motel there's a bait and tackle shop where the residents can go down and, whenever they want to, rent a fishing pole and some preserved minnows and schlep back up to their rooms, open the window, stick their little pole outside and within a few minutes actually catch a fish of some sort that they can bring into their motel room and do whatever they want with it, you know what I mean?

Mud Sh-sh-shark

FZ: Now in this bay there's quite a variety of . . . fish!

Mud Sh-sh-shark

FZ: Not only do they have mud sharks up there, they got little octopusses that you can catch

Fish!

Mud Sh-sh-shark

FZ: And all of these denizens of the deep can come in real handy . . .

Mud Sh-sh-shark

FZ: Let's say you were a travelling Rock and Roll band called The Vanilla Fudge . . . let's say one night you checked into the Edgewater Inn with an 8mm movie camera . . .

Mud Sh-sh-shark

FZ: Enough money to rent a pole, and just to make it more interesting . . .

Mud Sh-sh-shark

FZ: A succulent young lady!

Howard: Nooo!

FZ: With a taste for the bizarre . . .

Mud Sh-sh-shark

FZ: My mind drifts back . . . to a meeting, a chance meeting in the Chicago O'Hare Airport . . .

Mud Sh-sh-shark

FZ: Where the members of The Vanilla Fudge told Don Preston about a home movie they made at the Edgewater Inn . . . with a mud shark!

Mud Sh-sh-shark

FZ: And I'm gonna tell you, this dance, the Mud Shark, is sweeping the ocean!

Hey! Mud Sh-sh-shark

Mark: Ah, we're goin'! Go 'head! Ah, we're goin'! Now we're gonna go out, somehow! Come one!

Out

You go out

So far out

You do the Mud Shark, baby *etc

Also when and what gig did Bonzo pour orange juice over Alvin Lee during Lee's set? Where Zep playing the same gig or just hanging out?

I found an excerpt in a book I have called "John Bonham: A Thunder of Drums", where Carmine Appice (drummer of Vanilla Fudge) comments on the concert & orange juice incident... I don't have a scanner but I found the same excerpt on the net at Google books... heres the link:

http://books.google.com/books?id=PZvvSN6xH...7&ct=result

The excerpt from Appice says the incident took place at a large outdoor festival, the Singer Bowl in New York in 1969. He also mentions a jam session including Jeff Beck, members of Zeppelin, Nicky Hopkins, etc. at the end of the gig, but it doesn't mention exactly what date the festival was held or wether or not Zeppelin was actually billed to play, so I scrounged around some databases.

A link to a Zeppelin gig database: http://www.argenteumastrum.com/1969.htm

I found the only outdoor festivals Zeppelin played at (notice I didn't say "scheduled to play at") in New York in 1969 were the Singer Bowl Music Festival on July 13th and the Schaefer Music Festival on July 21. (Note: Neither Ten Years After nor Vanilla Fudge are listed as being on the bill for the Schaefer Fest on the 21st), thus, the Singer Bowl reference seems the only credible choice. (Appice's mind did not fail him). Also note that this database does not say if Zeppelin playing was scheduled or impromptu. To figure that out, I then went to the timeline section of this website to see if the gig was actually scheduled or if they were just there hanging out and decided to jam.

Link to the timeline section: http://ledzeppelin.com/timeline/1969?page=3

Much to my suprise (or not), I found that this date (July 13th, 1969) is NOT listed as being a scheduled gig. There-in lies the value of checking multiple sources.

Finally, to make sure one or the other of my sources for Zeppelin gigs were not flawed, I referenced a Ten Years After database (since they were noted by Appice as actually being billed).

A link to a Ten Years After 1969 gig list: http://www.alvinlee.com/gigs/1969.htm

I found that Ten Years After did indeed play the Singer Bowl Music Festival on July 13. Note that both the Led Zeppelin and the Ten Years After sites note the Jeff Beck & others jam session that was recalled by Appice:

"July 13, 1969 - Singer Bowl/New York City, NY

Ten Years After's set includes Spoonful, Good Morning Little Schoolgirl, Help Me and I'm Going Home.

Also appearing were the Edwin Hawkins Singers, the Jeff Beck Group and Vanilla Fudge. The show ends with Jeff Beck, Glenn Cornick from Jethro Tull, Ric Lee, Jimmy Page & Robert Plant from Led Zeppelin, and Rod Stewart in a jam session performing "Jailhouse Rock"."

"JULY 13 - SINGER BOWL, FLUSHING MEADOW, NEW YORK, NEW YORK (John Bonham joined Jeff Beck for jam of Rice Pudding/The Stripper, then all four members of Led Zeppelin plus Glen Cornick of Jethro Tull and Alvin Lee of Ten Years After joining Jeff Beck for jam based on Jailhouse Rock) (SUNDAY)

Shared bill with Jethro Tull, The Jeff Beck Group, Ten Years After among others."

Thus we have the following: The gig was the Singer Bowl Music Festival in New York on July 13th, 1969.., and that Led Zeppelin was NOT scheduled to play at this gig.

Edited by docron

Mr. Jones I seem to remember in the 1980s that when Led Zeppelin IV went diamond here in Canada that Q107 was saying that there was "one" special diamond edition album to be released for sale to one lucky album buyer. I believe that diamond album status in Canada at the time was one million copies sold. Do you have any information about this album and what was involved in this promotion? Thanks in advance. :D

Mr. Jones I seem to remember in the 1980s that when Led Zeppelin IV went diamond here in Canada that Q107 was saying that there was "one" special diamond edition album to be released for sale to one lucky album buyer. I believe that diamond album status in Canada at the time was one million copies sold. Do you have any information about this album and what was involved in this promotion? Thanks in advance. :D

It was a special colored-vinyl pressing of the album. Apparently, the buyer did not notice for several years because they never broke the shrinkwrap.

I believe Rick Barrett had it for sale at some point.

It was a special colored-vinyl pressing of the album. Apparently, the buyer did not notice for several years because they never broke the shrinkwrap.

I believe Rick Barrett had it for sale at some point.

Scott, my recollection is somewhat different: The person who bought the album claimed

they hadn't heard the pre-recorded Diamond Award announcement on side 1 because they bought the album for Stairway to Heaven, which is on side 2. Was it really colored vinyl as well? I can't remember. I'm going to contact Rick to see if what he can recall.

Scott, my recollection is somewhat different: The person who bought the album claimed

they hadn't heard the pre-recorded Diamond Award announcement on side 1 because they bought the album for Stairway to Heaven, which is on side 2. Was it really colored vinyl as well? I can't remember. I'm going to contact Rick to see if what he can recall.

Steve -- I believe you are correct. I think I was mixing up stories (there was a limited-edition colored vinyl LP released around the same time).

As far as I know, the vinyl wasn't colored. The person who had it was a lady from Ontario, which as you've said, had never heard the message because all she listened to was Stairway To Heaven, while the message was located between Four Sticks and Going To California.

Does anyone know what the message said? I've been looking for a while and can't find any info on this...

Edited to add: I'm not 100% sure, but rumour had it that the owner could claim a special diamond & gold Led Zeppelin pin.

Edited by docron

As far as I know, the vinyl wasn't colored. The person who had it was a lady from Ontario, which as you've said, had never heard the message because all she listened to was Stairway To Heaven, while the message was located between Four Sticks and Going To California.

Does anyone know what the message said? I've been looking for a while and can't find any info on this...

Edited to add: I'm not 100% sure, but rumour had it that the owner could claim a special diamond & gold Led Zeppelin pin.

Everything you've posted is consistent with my recollection. The whole point of the

message was to inform the purchaser how to claim the prize - a pin of some sort -

so it was something along those lines.

If memory serves correct there was a lilac (purple) vinyl edition of the album released

around the same time, but it had nothing to do with this contest.

That is so wrong! Someone who only listens to one song on an album is the owner of something so precious and they have no clue. <smacks self on head>

Everything you've posted is consistent with my recollection. The whole point of the

message was to inform the purchaser how to claim the prize - a pin of some sort -

so it was something along those lines.

If memory serves correct there was a lilac (purple) vinyl edition of the album released

around the same time, but it had nothing to do with this contest.

Are you for real? A lilac coloured one?

Can you tell me a little more about it?

Led Zeppelin IV (Rare 1978 UK orange and green Atlantic label limited edition LP pressed on

LILAC VINYL, gatefold picture sleeve complete with lyric inner sleeve.

Holy smokers

Steve, did you see the pic of my 1878 bell btw? It was waiting for me at an apartment I moved into.

1978 I was shipped off to the Middle East

They cut down the lilac bush that was in front of the house I grew up in Cote St. Luc

Pissed me off.

I LOVE lilacs.

I bought 2 lilac scarves at the dollar store today. It's starting to get a little cold