Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

You know, I never examined the faces of any of the people he's helped to see if they have noticed,

but a few other people I know also see the resemblance.

Here is one of my favorite pics. Stephen Wolfram (mathematica) on a spiral staircase. I am a Wolfram on my mother's side. My mom says there aren't very many of us left in the world.

pose.jpg

Very cool! Sounds like you could post some interesting stuff on the 'Things about me' thread!

Also, there is the BBC Open University 'Arts and History' TV programme which features a tour of Tower House. It's been shown often on TV....it even credits Jimmy at the end. I have it on video....shame I only have a DVD player these days.

Really? Thanks for that, I hadn't heard of it before and will see if I can track down a copy of the program. I have a video clip of Jimmy meeting with two representatives

of the Gibson Custom Shop in the Tower House basement. He explains to them a bit

about his Les Paul #1 before allowing them to take possession of it for the purpose

of manufacturing replicas.

Really? Thanks for that, I hadn't heard of it before and will see if I can track down a copy of the program. I have a video clip of Jimmy meeting with two representatives

of the Gibson Custom Shop in the Tower House basement. He explains to them a bit

about his Les Paul #1 before allowing them to take possession of it for the purpose

of manufacturing replicas.

That must have been a tad nerve wracking for him to hand over :huh: I wonder if he has #1 insured? After all it's priceless. Could you tell us for how much it's insured SAJ?

^^^

That photograph was actually taken during Jimmy's visit to Cardiff Castle.

Ahh! Thanks for the clarification! That would explain why it's less ornate than the other photos you posted of Tower House. I believe Burges saved his best work for his own home :)

That must have been a tad nerve wracking for him to hand over :huh: I wonder if he has #1 insured? After all it's priceless. Could you tell us for how much it's insured SAJ?

It is insured. I happen to think if he ever elected to auction it off he would easily get

a few million dollars for it. Eric Clapton's famous Blackie guitar sold for nearly one million dollars at auction in 2004. Jimmy and Eric are already associated with most expensive guitar ever sold:

http://most-expensive.net/guitar-in-world

1978LedZeppelinIV.jpg

Ok, here we go.

The diamond album, as written at least, was the one with the secret message at the end ... and the owner was unbelievably stupid (let me say it, please).

There's no connections between the diamond and the colored (purple) album, because the purple is a some kind of limited UK edition.

This one figured above is a different one, is a mispressed dark violet and not the original purple pressing.

It was murmured of a white (IV) album, as written on the Lewis' book but I've never heard or seen one (who has one out there?).

It seems a mistake (by the writer) and not a real released album.

Let me say also that all these albums have nothing in common with all the counterfeit colored albums that we can see on ebay (during the last two years, I mean).

One official colored album known: the purple UK pressing.

That's it.

If there are more infos around there ... well, I don't know any.

He's quite the fan of William Burges, an architect and designer back in the 19th Century. Jimmy bought his home Tower House in 1972, I think. This was Burges home, as well as his design.

Also, Burges is an "Art Architect." He was more interested in buildings (and interiors, furnishings, etc) as art, than in engineering per se.

Music is very mathematical but more about art, as well.

Tower House

tower_house2.jpg

tower_house3.jpg

tower_house4.jpg

tower_house5.jpg

May I ask where you got those stunning color photos?

Edited to add, the most amazing, delightful room I've ever stood in was the nursery in Cardiff Castle. Playful, mythical, colorful, remarkable, imaginative details everywhere you looked. I could've stood in that one room for the rest of the day, in awe.

Damn it, though, they don't allow pictures of the inside. I've written to them several times asking if it's possible to see close ups of details in color anywhere, and apparently it just isn't...

Edited by SunChild

Damn it, though, they don't allow pictures of the inside. I've written to them several times asking if it's possible to see close ups of details in color anywhere, and apparently it just isn't...

Availble on ebay now is a copy of the William Burges book depicted above with Jimmy and the author. Very affordably priced and several copies still in stock. It may possibly depict Cardiff Castle interiors:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Matthew-Williams-Willi...p3286.m20.l1116

No problem, as an admirer of Burges' work I'll just buy the Williams book, I'm sure that the details I'm curious about will be found there.

It doesn't have that info, Medhb--I just bought it at Cardiff Castle a few weeks ago. And alas, they were renovating the damn Burges rooms at the Castle when I tried to see them as well!!! :angry:

The V&A has some great Burges furniture, and, I just discovered this visit, some really fabulous silver designed by him as well.

I THOUGHT ALL CAPS MEANT YOU WERE SHOUTING?!?!?!!!! :o

They brought in a handwriting suspect for me once too...but I was acquitted anyways....

Only in email. All caps when it's someone's own handwriting is different.... and my handwriting is very different. ;):)

Thanks, Steve (again), for posting these cool photos.

R B)

Edited by reids

It doesn't have that info, Medhb--I just bought it at Cardiff Castle a few weeks ago. And alas, they were renovating the damn Burges rooms at the Castle when I tried to see them as well!!! :angry:

The V&A has some great Burges furniture, and, I just discovered this visit, some really fabulous silver designed by him as well.

Thanks for the info Alison! I'm going to get the book anyway since I am an admirerer of his works. Ah, that sux you missed the rooms due to renovations. Hopefully, you'll get another chance to visit. Much more difficult for me across the pond.

Yes! I've seen some of his silver works and they are incredible! He was certainly multi-talented. I'll have to see if I can check out some of his furniture designs, I'm sure they are masterpieces as well.

All of them have previously been posted on the old .com site.

They sure were, as were many, many other pictures of Burges's work.

Then on the other hand, what Steve said is also true, because the pics he posted were already on the internet, before they were posted on the old .com. I do remember that the site they come from didn't have any more from inside the house.

Edited by Otto Masson

Page said he met Jimi Hendrix once but never jammed with him. When and where did he meet him and for what purpose other than just to meet him?

You're mistaken. Some of the Hendrix literature just seems to assume that Pagey went to see him, but he never did. They never met, and Jimmy has repeatedly said so in interviews.

I knew Page was in the same room with Hendrix. Just wasn't sure if they spoke

GW: Speaking of Eddie Kramer, who worked closely with Jimi Hendrix: Did you

ever jam with Hendrix?

Page: No. And I never saw him play, either. This is a good story actually,

back in the late sixties, I went right from working with The Yardbirds,

to touring and recording with Zeppelin, and that kept me very busy. In

the first two years of any band, you just work solidly; if you're going

to make an impression that's what you have to do. We were no different.

In fact, we probably worked for three years straight. Anyway, every time

I came back from tour and Hendrix was playing somewhere, I would always

say to my self, "Oh I'm just so exhausted, ill see him next time".

I just put it off and of course, there ultimately never was a next time.

I'm really, really upset with myself for never seeing him. I really

wanted to hear him.

Now, did I ever meet him? I did actually go into a club in New York

called Salvation, and he was there, but he was totally out of it. He

didn't really know who anybody was -- he was barely conscious. Somebody

was just kind of holding him up. It is just kind of a shame that I never

really had a chance to talk with him or hear him... I heard his records,

naturally, but it would've been a thrill to see how he worked things out

on stage. That's quite another ballgame, as you know.

http://www.iem.ac.ru/zeppelin/docs/interviews/page_93.gw