Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

From the sources I've seen, there is no mention of Salvation apart from September 10 during that period.

Agreed there were no Hendrix performances at Salvation after 9/10/69. However, the

anecdote as Jimmy tells it does not require one for the encounter to have occured. I

say there's a good chance it happened when Jimmy was in town the following month.

We already know Jimi had an apartment nearby and Salvation was a popular hangout.

Edit: On October 17th 1969 Eugene Mcfadden took over as Jimi Hendrix's manager. This

is three days prior to Jimmy Page's return to New York for two days off. Hypothesis:

A stressed out Jimi Hendrix has gone to Salvation to try to relax. He's been under enormous pressure since performing at Woodstock that August. His band is breaking up

and he's now under new management. For these reasons he is not in good condition when Jimmy Page encounters him.

Edited by SteveAJones

Alan Clayson's book The Yardbirds, states in the chronology section on page 184 that The Yardbirds returned to London on 9th January 1967. Which means Jimmy Page and the Yardbirds were in London between the 9th and 15th. On the 10th of January the transfer of the group's management was made between Simon Napier-Bell and Peter Grant in London.

Meg

I see. So it is certainly feasible Jimmy did attend that Hendrix reception. How peculiar

he would not have recalled that when asked. Perhaps this thread will jog his memory

and we'll have confirmation there were two Page/Hendrix encounters, one in London

(Bag O' Nails) and one in New York (Salvation).

I see. So it is certainly feasible Jimmy did attend that Hendrix reception. How peculiar

he would not have recalled that when asked. Perhaps this thread will jog his memory

and we'll have confirmation there were two Page/Hendrix encounters, one in London

(Bag O' Nails) and one in New York (Salvation).

Apparently the reception there had banquet tables covered in flowers. So there was a formal atmosphere for the night rather than it being a full-blown gig. It was the official launch of the "Hey Joe" single in the UK. See Keith Altham's article, "Wild Jimi Hendrix," in New Musical Express, 14 January 1967. My guess is this: Page may have either turned up late or left early prior to the onstage live appearance of Hendrix. So it's possible he never actually saw Hendrix live.

Meg

Apparently the reception there had banquet tables covered in flowers. So there was a formal atmosphere for the night rather than it being a full-blown gig. It was the official launch of the "Hey Joe" single in the UK. See Keith Altham's article, "Wild Jimi Hendrix," in New Musical Express, 14 January 1967. My guess is this: Page may have either turned up late or left early prior to the onstage live appearance of Hendrix. So it's possible he never actually saw Hendrix live.

My bet would be he left early, as opposed to arrived late. If Bag O' Nails was then, as now, at 6 Buckingham Palace Rd, London, SW1W 0PP Jimmy would possibly have had to catch the train or a ride back to Pangbourne, which is over on the other side of town and beyond. In any event, it is possible for him to have attended and, as you said,

not to have seen Hendrix perform or to have even met him at the reception.

Two listed gigs:

Tuesday 21st October - Electric factory, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Friday 24th October - Public Auditorium, Cleveland, Ohio (8pm start)

Do we have any proof Jimmy was in New York between those dates? According to this comment here, they were in Cleveland on the night of the 23rd, see http://www.ledzeppelin.com/node/454/1258#comment-1258

Which leaves only the 22nd.

One possibility: Was there a launch at the Atlantic Record offices on the 22nd? We know Led Zeppelin II was released in the US on the 22nd.

Meg

In fact, now that I think of it, there's virtually no possibility Jimmy attended any Hendrix gigs in Sep '69 because he and Charlotte were on holiday in Morocco and Spain for about a month prior to the 10/3/69 gig in Scheveningen, Netherlands which kicked off

a European tour. The last Zep gig prior to that was 8/31/69 in Texas. So far as I know

he did not stay in New York for at least ten days on the way back to England. They'd

already done several gigs in New York state that month (Aug). One would think he'd have wanted to get home to Charlotte and enjoy that extended vacation.

I always thought he met Charlotte at his birthday gig at the Royal Albert Hall in 1970- maybe you're thinking of someone else (Lynn Collins maybe)?

Two listed gigs:

Tuesday 21st October - Electric factory, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Friday 24th October - Public Auditorium, Cleveland, Ohio (8pm start)

Do we have any proof Jimmy was in New York between those dates? According to this comment here, they were in Cleveland on the night of the 23rd, see http://www.ledzeppelin.com/node/454/1258#comment-1258

Which leaves only the 22nd.

One possibility: Was there a launch at the Atlantic Record offices on the 22nd? We know Led Zeppelin II was released in the US on the 22nd.

Meg

Well, I don't doubt the authenticity of the Cleveland desk clerk's anecdote, though it

seems embellished (I don't believe the band was using limos in 1969...tour manager Richard Cole said at one point they were using a station wagon).

I have no proof they returned to New York after the Philadelphia gig, but we can look

into if they may have attended a launch for LZ II at Atlantic in New York 8/22/69.

I always thought he met Charlotte at his birthday gig at the Royal Albert Hall in 1970- maybe you're thinking of someone else (Lynn Collins maybe)?

Good catch, as I hadn't seen this discrepancy until now. Well, my notes show no less than Ritchie Yorkie said it was Jimmy and Charlotte. Two possibilities I can think of:

it was Lynn Collins or, if it was not, the trip was sometime after the 1/9/70 RAH gig.

If I have misquoted or misunderstood Ritchie my sincere apologies.

Here's a Janis Joplin question since today is the anniversary of her demise.

Way back she apparently made off(made out) with a young Bobby Plant. When, where did it happen and was that there only meeting( in a tryst sort of way.)?

They did meet and get on well, because Robert has said so, but far as I know there is no evidence whatsoever to even remotely suggest they were ever romantically linked.

Edit: Robert discusses his relationship with Janis from about 13:00-14:15 during this

interview with Charlie Rose. Robert says he considered her to be his "fairy godmother":

http://www.charlierose.com/shows/2005/05/1...an-robert-plant

Edited by SteveAJones

They did meet and get on well, because Robert has said so, but far as I know there is no evidence whatsoever to even remotely suggest they were ever romantically linked.

Edit: Robert discusses his relationship with Janis from about 13:00-14:15 during this

interview with Charlie Rose. Robert says he considered her to be his "fairy godmother":

http://www.charlierose.com/shows/2005/05/1...an-robert-plant

Thanks. Thought maybe backstage Texas State Fairgrounds in '69.

Thanks. Thought maybe backstage Texas State Fairgrounds in '69.

Yes, well they did meet whilst touring throughout that era. Basically, you just take her

concert chronology and cross-check it against Led Zeppelin's for the possibilities. I

seem to recall they met on the West Coast that Summer as well.

Here's another: September 4, 1970. Led Zeppelin had just played The Forum. They went

to the Troubador and got involved in a post-performance jam session with Fairport Convention (who were recording a live album). Producer Joe Boyd believes the tapes are buried in Polydor's vault, by the way. So anyway, they moved on to Barney's Beanery nearby, where the partying continued. A highlight was a drinking contest between Bonham, Dave Pegg and Janis Joplin.

Edited by SteveAJones

Yes, well they did meet whilst touring throughout that era. Basically, you just take her

concert chronology and cross-check it against Led Zeppelin's for the possibilities. I

seem to recall they met on the West Coast that Summer as well.

Here's another: September 4, 1970. Led Zeppelin had just played The Forum. They went

to the Troubador and got involved in a post-performance jam session with Fairport Convention (who were recording a live album). Producer Joe Boyd believes the tapes are buried in Polydor's vault, by the way. So anyway, they moved on to Barney's Beanery nearby, where the partying continued. A highlight was a drinking contest between Bonham, Dave Pegg and Janis Joplin.

Meanwhile, Dave Swarbrick is denying it ever happened. :rolleyes:

Janis Joplin and Led Zeppelin both played at the First Atlanta International Pop Festival, in Gainsville, Georgia on 5th July 1969 and then again at the Texas International Pop Festival at Lewisville, Texas on 31st August 1969.

atlantapopfestival1969.jpgtexasipf.jpg

Robert also mentioned Janis Joplin when the band were being inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame in 1995.

Meg

Janis Joplin and Led Zeppelin both played at the First Atlanta International Pop Festival, in Gainsville, Georgia on 5th July 1969 and then again at the Texas International Pop Festival at Lewisville, Texas on 31st August 1969.

atlantapopfestival1969.jpgtexasipf.jpg

Robert also mentioned Janis Joplin when the band were being inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame in 1995.

Meg

GREAT pics Meg, Sheesh, look at that line up for labor Day. What I'd give to see that show!

What happened to the great artwork that used to appear on concert posters? :unsure:

Many were hand illustrated, so as rock became more corporate they became a casualty.

Informal arrangements between local promoters and the artists gave the poster artists more liberty than the more commercial enterprises ever permitted.

What happened to the great artwork that used to appear on concert posters? :unsure:

Steve's right but as far as I'm concerned, it coincided with the end of the black light era ! :D I absolutely love that art work. Brilliant stuff

Many were hand illustrated, so as rock became more corporate they became a casualty.

Informal arrangements between local promoters and the artists gave the poster artists more liberty than the more commercial enterprises ever permitted.

It's a shame it's come to that. I saw a fantastic exhibit some years back in San Francisco of all the posters from the Bay area shows of the mid to late 60s and bought a book with them in it. Some really great artwork. Was tempted to buy one but a) couldn't decide and B) too expensive!

I also loved how when you saw the combinations of bands, you could catch so many great acts in one concert. Sorry, bit off topic here!

Edited by ninelives

That's right, not all rock bands come under that corporate umbrella and there still are some great posters, albeit by lesser known, generally regional/lesserknown bands.

It's like anything else, true craftsmanship has been relegated to the minority.

Here's a cool one of recent.

6341_15114cZC8TX5dsds.jpg

Edited by alucard

Pearl Jam has some awesome tour posters. Sorry I don't have any links or pics to show you, but I am sure they are not hard to find if you wanted to view them. I can't comment on their most recent tour, but the posters for their 2005 and 2006 tours became the front covers for their official bootleg concerts. When you bought them from their website. you downloaded the mp3/flac files which included the artwork in pdf format. The posters are much better as they have more imagery on them. For these years the poster artwork related to the city in which they played (for the most part). Some great stuff... and great artist too!

Glad to see the artform isn't dead, then--I must admit now I think about it, I do have a great poster from the last White Stripes tour, it's just that most concert posters seem much less creative and have much less interesting artwork than they used to. Those Pearl Jam posters are great, though.