Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Yeah Beatbo, those Pearl Jam one's are cool. I guess accolades aren't bestowed on Sonic Youth like they are Pearl Jam. That's OK, Sonic Youth is the better band anyway. Another few that give these other posters a run for their money,

2md59tt.jpg2cyn0rd.jpg

23it8wg.jpg

Wilco-Sonic-Youth-Philadelphia-Concert-Poster.jpgSonic-Youth-Punk-Fillmore-Concert-Poster.jpg

The art of concert posters isn't dead, you just have to have an interest in bands that support the art and seek it there.

The art of concert posters isn't dead, you just have to have an interest in bands that support the art and seek it there.

I love Sonic Youth, but have never been anywhere where they performed and thus never seen their posters.

But in any case, the Pearl Jam ones are much better art. Sorry, Jo alucard.

I love Sonic Youth, but have never been anywhere where they performed and thus never seen their posters.

But in any case, the Pearl Jam ones are much better art. Sorry, Jo alucard.

They don't frequent the South too often but they did play New Orleans last I know of, October 16, 2004; August 3, 2002; and August 14, 2000.

Maybe New Orleans is a bit far from your part of the state, Helen.

Art IS in the eye of the beholder though isn't it? :D

Sonic Youth's music is still better than Pearl Jam's though. :lol:

They don't frequent the South too often but they did play New Orleans last I know of, October 16, 2004; August 3, 2002; and August 14, 2000.

Maybe New Orleans is a bit far from your part of the state, Helen.

Art IS in the eye of the beholder though isn't it? :D

Sonic Youth's music is still better than Pearl Jam's though. :lol:

WRONG DRACULA!

The most likely possibility I see for the Page/Hendrix encounter is that it occured after the 10/17/69 Carnegie Hall gig. On 10/20/69 they were back in town, having played Detroit and Chicago, and it was an off day prior to their Philadelphia gig the next day. However, they attended The Who's Fillmore East post-performance party (hosted by Bill Graham) at Max's Kansas City the night of 10/20/69, so it is highly unlikely Jimmy would have broken away from those festivities to go to Salvation in Greenwich Village. There is the remote possibility he went to Salvation first, but I'm inclined to believe encounter occured when they returned to New York for the third time that month, for two days

off (10/22-23/69) following the Philadelphia gig.

Led Zeppelin attended a birthday party at Ugano's for a member of the Liverpool Scene (whom had been playing there), and given the time constraints outlined above, it, as well as the Page/Hendrix encounter at Salvation, probably occured during this third visit (10/22-23/69) to New York that month. Perhaps press coverage from that week can

shed further light on this "mystery".

Those dates can be dismissed. There is a report in Toronto's The Globe and Mail that Jimi Hendrix was in Toronto on both those days. I have doubts Page saw Hendrix in October that year.

Meg

Jimi flew to Toronto on December 7th for the trial. He was cleared of all charges on Dec. 10. My detailed Jimi diary does have a blank spot for a few weeks in Oct., so not certain of his activities. But I tend to believe Jimmy's tale. I do wonder if Jimi was at all affected by the massive airplay Zep were getting then, if he maybe even caught a Zep gig at the Fillmore E or Central Park...I'd think he'd be curious. But maybe not. Those drug charges hanging over him, no band, dark days for Jimi then. To catch him all wasted at a club isn't much of a stretch...

Jimi flew to Toronto on December 7th for the trial. He was cleared of all charges on Dec. 10. My detailed Jimi diary does have a blank spot for a few weeks in Oct., so not certain of his activities. But I tend to believe Jimmy's tale. I do wonder if Jimi was at all affected by the massive airplay Zep were getting then, if he maybe even caught a Zep gig at the Fillmore E or Central Park...I'd think he'd be curious. But maybe not. Those drug charges hanging over him, no band, dark days for Jimi then. To catch him all wasted at a club isn't much of a stretch...

It's pretty odd neither Hendrix or Page ever saw one another perform.

I remember Jeff Beck commenting on Jimi's extreme incoherence the last few times he saw him. In their earlier times Beck spoke glowingly of Hendrix and the fun they had jamming and hanging. How funny and bright he thought Hendrix was. As things progressed Beck related the sad deterioration in Jimi's demeanor and even in his playing. The pressure he was under and all the users around leeching off him.

Now, did I ever meet him? I did actually go into a club in New York

called Salvation, and he was there, but he was totally out of it. He

didn't really know who anybody was -- he was barely conscious. Somebody

was just kind of holding him up. It is just kind of a shame that I never

really had a chance to talk with him or hear him... I heard his records,

naturally, but it would've been a thrill to see how he worked things out

on stage. That's quite another ballgame, as you know.

http://www.iem.ac.ru/zeppelin/docs/interviews/page_93.gw

This is it, I'm getting senile way too early, because I had read this and didn't remember when I posted earlier. :wacko: But it's hardly an encounter though.

Edited by Otto Masson

Interesting - I'm kind of surprised their paths didn't cross at some point.

Me too, but of course they were busy touring a lot of the time and didn't have very many opportunities. What I've always wondered about is why

(1) Jimmy didn't see Hendrix in England in 1966, because the latter very quickly became the talk of the town amongst musicians, including people Jimmy knew at the time;

(2) Jimi didn't go see The Yardbirds after Jimmy joined the band, because, second only to Cream, they were THE experimental band to see in England at the time.

But an examination of the facts goes some way towards explaining why this was, although there still seem to have been missed opportunities, especially in December 1966. Jimmy Page first played a gig with The Yardbirds on July 21, 1966. Hendrix only arrived in London on September 24, 1966, and started jamming there right away; The Experience's first gig was in France, on October 13, and their first concert in England was on October 25. But by then, in late October that is, The Yardbirds had already departed for an American tour which went on until late November; at the same time Hendrix was playing in Germany and England.

And a quick glance at their respective tour schedules reveals that the opportunities actually weren't that many. I still haven't made a thorough comparison of them though. B)

Edited by Otto Masson

Me too, but of course they were busy touring a lot of the time and didn't have very many opportunities. What I've always wondered about is why

(1) Jimmy didn't see Hendrix in England in 1966, because the latter very quickly became the talk of the town amongst musicians, including people Jimmy knew at the time;

(2) Jimi didn't go see The Yardbirds after Jimmy joined the band, because, second only to Cream, they were THE experimental band to see in England at the time.

But an examination of the facts goes some way towards explaining why this was, although there still seem to have been missed opportunities, especially in December 1966. Jimmy Page first played a gig with The Yardbirds on July 21, 1966. Hendrix only arrived in London on September 24, 1966, and started jamming there right away; The Experience's first gig was in France, on October 13, and their first concert in England was on October 25. But by then, in late October that is, The Yardbirds had already departed for an American tour which went on until late November; at the same time Hendrix was playing in Germany and England.

And a quick glance at their respective tour schedules reveals that the opportunities actually weren't that many. I still haven't made a thorough comparison of them though. B)

stevea.jones has. he posted the possibilities earlier...

That's true - touring schedules conflicting but I guess I just assumed somehow paths would have crossed.

stevea.jones has. he posted the possibilities earlier...

Oh, there was no intention on my part to bypass anyone here, not SAJ or anybody else, Beatbo. It's like Meg said, I was thinking more specifically about 1966-67.

By the way, good to see you, Chicago! :wave:

My posts recently are too hurried an affair, because I keep spotting mistakes and errors in them, and there was one in that one, too. Jimmy's first gig with The Yardbirds wasn't on July 21, 1966 but June 21, 1966 (at the Marquee in London). It makes no difference in this particular context, but just to keep it accurate. B)

That's true - touring schedules conflicting but I guess I just assumed somehow paths would have crossed.

They certainly were busy men! Musicians just had to work a lot in the 1960's.... The Yardbirds were touring constantly, and as we all know Led Zeppelin hardly took a break in the first few years of the band's career - that is. in the years when Jimi Hendrix was still alive. And as for Hendrix his schedule was so tight that in about four years, from 1966 on, he played somewhere between 5-600 gigs, which is actually close to the sum total of gigs Led Zeppelin played from 1968-1980, if I am not mistaken.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Otto. Nice insights.

I think both Page and Hendrix were ambitious and creative guitarists - composers. There may have been some level of competition that was unspoken. Jimmy was extremely aware of Eddie Kramer through his creative work with Hendrix and employed him to engineer Zeppelin II. Hendrix would had to have heard that piece of production but never publicly commented upon it. Jeff Beck did stating he was unimpressed. Shows you what he knew!

Edited by Chicago

New question: I have two photos from an old Cream magazine that show Zep performing outdoors in daylight in'73. Robert has sunglasses on and Jimmy is wearing a red bandana around his neck. (I'd love to post them, but it says I've "linked to a website that is not allowed"? (photobucket-huh?) If someone can tell me how to post them I will, if not, is anyone familiar with these pics? I've searched and can't seem to figure it out. It's not Kezar, it's not Mobile, .....??

New question: I have two photos from an old Cream magazine that show Zep performing outdoors in daylight in'73. Robert has sunglasses on and Jimmy is wearing a red bandana around his neck. (I'd love to post them, but it says I've "linked to a website that is not allowed"? (photobucket-huh?) If someone can tell me how to post them I will, if not, is anyone familiar with these pics? I've searched and can't seem to figure it out. It's not Kezar, it's not Mobile, .....??

Atlanta, Tampa, Pittsburgh were the other outdoor gigs from the 1973 U.S.A. tour. They may be from one of those gigs.

Interesting. I don't think Robert wore sunglasses at Kezar Stadium. Besides, I'm almost positive Jimmy did not wear a bandana at any time during that gig. Please try to post

the photos again.

Edit: The Oct 1973 issue of 'Creem' featured Led Zeppelin on the cover, and the feature article was 'Led Zeppelin - Six Reasons Why They Are Bigger Than The Beatles'. I don't have a copy to review, but the reference to Beatles suggests record-breaking Tampa gig. Of course, this assumes this is the issue you are referring to.

Edited by SteveAJones