Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

A album called The Summit (1979) Had a track Candy Store Rook, the members of Led Zeppelin are thanked for their help. Could anyone expand that...

It was a charity album for the Year Of The Child organization. Supposedly, members of Zep helped to pick the running order.

Thank You, Do you have the running order zep was the last track as I recall....Lost the

album, :o

SIDE 1:

1. Shine A Little Love - Electric Light Orchestra 4:27

2. Jet - Wings 4:06

3. Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty 6:10

4. Sultans Of Swing - Dire Straits 5:36

5. Let It Grow - Eric Clapton 4:15

6. Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word - Elton John 3:48

7. Devil Woman - Cliff Richard 3:35

SIDE 2:

1. Give A Little Bit - Supertramp 4:11

2. Boys Are back In Town - Thin Lizzy 4:22

3. Don’t Kill The Whale - Yes 3:58

4. Welcome To The Machine - Pink Floyd 7:31

5. Rock & Roll Fantasy - Bad Company 3:19

6. Candy Store Rock - Led Zeppelin 4:07

Meg

SIDE 1:

1. Shine A Little Love - Electric Light Orchestra 4:27

2. Jet - Wings 4:06

3. Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty 6:10

4. Sultans Of Swing - Dire Straits 5:36

5. Let It Grow - Eric Clapton 4:15

6. Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word - Elton John 3:48

7. Devil Woman - Cliff Richard 3:35

SIDE 2:

1. Give A Little Bit - Supertramp 4:11

2. Boys Are back In Town - Thin Lizzy 4:22

3. Don’t Kill The Whale - Yes 3:58

4. Welcome To The Machine - Pink Floyd 7:31

5. Rock & Roll Fantasy - Bad Company 3:19

6. Candy Store Rock - Led Zeppelin 4:07

Meg

I must say it's a pretty good collection of songs.

John Paul Jones, among the others, has recalled over the years performing a legendary four hour show at the Boston Tea Party in 1969. I've often seen speculation concerning

if that show occured during their January (23-26) or May (28-29) 1969 performances at

that venue. The February 1969 article below makes no mention of a marathon gig and as

such would seem to suggest it was one of their two gigs in May.

Jimmy Page: After The Yardbirds...Comes Led Zeppelin

By BEN BLUMMENBERG | Boston Phoenix February 5, 1969 |

The Led Zeppelin landed in Boston, Thursday Jan. 22, and for four consecutive evenings virtually blew an overflow Boston Tea Party crowd clear into the Charles River. Playing long sets, well over an hour in length, the Zeppelin lived up to its advance billing as a group of exceptional power and drive. What also emerged, however, is that the L. Z. possesses extraordinary complexity as well.

Both the official publicity on the band, and the unofficial rumor mill, told of a blues rock unit built around the guitar genius of Jimmy Page. (Jimmy Page is the last of the three exceptional lead guitarists produced by England’s amazing Yardbirds. The other two are Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck.) This description just scratches the surface. The Led Zeppelin is launched from a blues-rock base but is no means limited by it. Furthermore, the L.Z. is truly a talented and diversified unit, not just a backup group for Jimmy Page.

In concert, the L.Z. went through most of the material on their first album (Atlantic 8216) plus some newer, unrecorded songs. The titles and lyrics may be basic blues, but the approach and performance is of a much wider scope. Perhaps the most outstanding feature of the Zeppelin is that they employ three or four major instrumental concepts in almost every song. The impression, to say the least, is staggering! Indeed the L.Z.’s only fault is a tendency to compress too much into a short space of time.

Rhythm changes abruptly, time patterns change abruptly, volume levels change abruptly, yet melodic line and chord skeletons manage to merge kaleidoscopically as each member of the band feeds one another and in turn plays off the idea thrown out. The entire approach is very loose and very improvisational. The result is a surprising intricacy developed out of a form that is usually considered to be quite simple. Yet the basic power is never lost. In one sense, the Led Zeppelin represents the best of two worlds.

A few things that particularly got me: 1) At various times during “You Shook Me” Robert Plant (vocals) and Jimmy Page (lead) play riffs off against each other with Plant’s voice frequently acquiring the electrical qualities indistinguishable from Page’s guitar. 2) A 5-minute drum solo by John Bonham that includes some fantastic and hysterical hand drumming but really defies description. 3) The Frequent quiet passages in “Black Mountain Side” by Jimmy Page, which approach the best of pure mountain music.

For my taste, the Led Zeppelin really gets it all together on “How Many More Times,” with which they like to close an evening. This ten-or-more-minute master-piece has one of the most infections rhythmic cores I ever heard. If you don’t want to jump, dance, and smile after hearing this, you must be dead. This core, which involves everybody, provides the departure point for extended individual solos by each member of the band. The technically impressive pile driving bass of John Paul Jones is a spiritual gift. Plant’s amazing vocal power is at its best. Jimmy Page’s virtuosity runs the gamut from explorations into abstract electronics to down-home funk. “How Many More Times” is one of those rare rock developments that could literally never end. The wild, screaming reception accorded The Led Zeppelin certainly bears this feeling out.

I expect the Led Zeppelin to be flying high for some time. They and the Jeff Beck Group are to rock what Formula One cars are to road racing. Their raw power is compelling and hypnotic while their complexity makes repeated exposure a pleasure. The L.Z. vary the arrangements of the same song on successive nights quite widely. As Jimmy Page who has little sympathy with complicated studio effects said to me: “If we can’t do it live, we won’t do it.” That idea hits me just right, as does the entire Led Zeppelin from stem to stern.

This won't answer the question Steve but that write up has got to be the best description of the bands live performances that I've ever read. It's exactly how I felt after seeing them for the first time. Sorry to take it off topic

It's been awhile since I've broke them out, but listening to the Jan. and May Boston '69 shows, after the very first listen, I immediately thought it was more than likely one of the May shows if a 4-hour marathon occured. You can listen to the excitement build in the crowd as the show goes on. There's one moment (during Bonzo's solo maybe? can't recall precisely) that you can almost hear an actual "gasp" go through the crowd....in all my years of listening to boots from all sorts of bands, I don't ever recall hearing something like that in a crowd.

Makes me want to throw it in and give it another listen.

Wow! I wish I could have been there (too young). This is a great description of the early days. I wish all of the press coverage could have been so favorable for the band's sake. It just goes to show how amazing Led Zeppelin was and shows why we Americans fell in love with them right from the begining.

It's been awhile since I've broke them out, but listening to the Jan. and May Boston '69 shows, after the very first listen, I immediately thought it was more than likely one of the May shows if a 4-hour marathon occured. You can listen to the excitement build in the crowd as the show goes on. There's one moment (during Bonzo's solo maybe? can't recall precisely) that you can almost hear an actual "gasp" go through the crowd....in all my years of listening to boots from all sorts of bands, I don't ever recall hearing something like that in a crowd.

Makes me want to throw it in and give it another listen.

From what I've listened to, I'd have to agree with you about the date. Don't recall the gasp but you've convinced me to have another listen :D

John Paul Jones, among the others, has recalled over the years performing a legendary four hour show at the Boston Tea Party in 1969. I've often seen speculation concerning

if that show occured during their January (23-26) or May (28-29) 1969 performances at

that venue. The February 1969 article below makes no mention of a marathon gig and as

such would seem to suggest it was one of their two gigs in May.

Jimmy Page: After The Yardbirds...Comes Led Zeppelin

By BEN BLUMMENBERG | Boston Phoenix February 5, 1969 |

I expect the Led Zeppelin to be flying high for some time. They and the Jeff Beck Group are to rock what Formula One cars are to road racing. Their raw power is compelling and hypnotic while their complexity makes repeated exposure a pleasure. The L.Z. vary the arrangements of the same song on successive nights quite widely. As Jimmy Page who has little sympathy with complicated studio effects said to me: “If we can’t do it live, we won’t do it.” That idea hits me just right, as does the entire Led Zeppelin from stem to stern.

Steve,

This is some article. It really gives you the feeling of what it was like to attend one of their early shows. It sums everything I like about Led Zeppelin so well. Unfortunately, I never got the privilege to see them live. Thanks. :goodpost:

...and now for something completely different!

19911128SaltLakeTribune.jpg

^^^

Salt Lake Tribune, Nov 28, 1991

Note:

"Ocean World Mistreated Animals, Ex-Workers Say" Miami Herald, Nov 26, 1991

"Former Workers Say Animals Mistreated at Ocean World" Miami Herald, Nov 26, 1991

"Animals Treatment at Issue" Sun-Sentinel (FL), Nov 26, 1991

Note:

Robert Plant

July 11 1988 Day off

July 12, 1988 Tampa, FL concert

July 13, 1988 Day off

July 14 1988 Miami, FL concert

July 15, 1988 Day off

Note:

Ocean World Fort Lauderdale was closed down in 1994. It had many aquatic attractions, such as alligators, sharks, and dolphins. Ocean World was located on SE 17th Street just west of the inter coastal bridge on the north side. No, this is not where Flipper was filmed, that was the Miami Sequarium. During daylight hours, some dolphins were in a small tank low enough to where you could reach in and touch them.

Forum (newspaper) (Fargo, ND) June 11th 1998

(excerpt)

Q: I understand your concert in Chicago on Monday will be broadcast live on the Internet.

Jimmy Page: Will it?

Q: Yeah. Is this the first you've heard of it?

Jimmy Page: Nah, it's probably something the management have cooked up and they haven't actually run it past us yet. Does it sound like a good idea to you? I don't see how, technically, you can broadcast a whole show on the Internet. I've never watched a concert on the Internet, but can't imagine it's much of an experience. No, as far as those little speakers you're going to have with a computer. I would think it's going to be a disappointment. Certainly, it's so far removed from actually being there at a concert and feeling it. You can't get that. It's never the same as actually smelling it, you know?

Q: I was on the Internet last night and found a website with links to more than 250 Led Zeppelin sites. Do you ever look at any of them?

Jimmy Page: Is that all? I thought there were more. I'm not being funny, but somebody told me there are a couple of thousand. I don't know. I've got the Internet at home, but I don't bother to access (them) because I know it all better than they do, really. (laughs) It's no use reading what's been written about me. I know what's going on so it doesn't matter.

Interesting article. Thanks Steve. Seems like the conditions at that aquarium were somewhat inhumane but Robert swimming with the dolphins was not. There seems to be a huge attraction for humans to interact with animals, especially dolphins. Robert probably knew someone at Ocean World who allowed him the opportunity to swim in the tanks with the dolphins. It probably was not unusual for the trainers and keepers to get in the tanks with the dolphins, so it was no big deal for Robert to do it. The media just used it as one incident to force the aquarium to close down. I have swam with dolphins twice in Cozumel and on Tortula in the Virgin Islands. It was fantastic and for some people it is the dream of a lifetime to do so. In the 1980's there weren't places like Discovery Cove in Orlando where people could actually swim with the dolphins. Rock stars had opportunities to do things that the average person did not have access to do at that time.

^^^

Note:

"Former Workers Say Animals Mistreated at Ocean World" Miami Herald, Nov 26, 1991

Note:

Robert Plant

July 11 1988 Day off

July 13, 1988 Day off

July 15, 1988 Day off

Note:

Ocean World Fort Lauderdale was closed down in 1994. It had many aquatic attractions, such as alligators, sharks, and dolphins. Ocean World was located on SE 17th Street just west of the inter coastal bridge on the north side. No, this is not where Flipper was filmed, that was the Miami Sequarium. During daylight hours, some dolphins were in a small tank low enough to where you could reach in and touch them.

Dolphin swims are still advertised, maybe not at Florida Marine Park but at other places.

Forum (newspaper) (Fargo, ND) June 11th 1998

(excerpt)

Q: I understand your concert in Chicago on Monday will be broadcast live on the Internet.

Jimmy Page: Will it?

Q: Yeah. Is this the first you've heard of it?

Jimmy Page: Nah, it's probably something the management have cooked up and they haven't actually run it past us yet. Does it sound like a good idea to you? I don't see how, technically, you can broadcast a whole show on the Internet. I've never watched a concert on the Internet, but can't imagine it's much of an experience. No, as far as those little speakers you're going to have with a computer. I would think it's going to be a disappointment. Certainly, it's so far removed from actually being there at a concert and feeling it. You can't get that. It's never the same as actually smelling it, you know?

Q: I was on the Internet last night and found a website with links to more than 250 Led Zeppelin sites. Do you ever look at any of them?

Jimmy Page: Is that all? I thought there were more. I'm not being funny, but somebody told me there are a couple of thousand. I don't know. I've got the Internet at home, but I don't bother to access (them) because I know it all better than they do, really. (laughs) It's no use reading what's been written about me. I know what's going on so it doesn't matter.

;)

^^^

Note:

Note:

Robert Plant

July 11 1988 Day off

July 13, 1988 Day off

July 15, 1988 Day off

Note:

Robert must have been horrified to be associated with a story characterizing his actions as part of the mistreatment of animals.

Robert Plant's 'I Believe'

Journalist Deborah Frost of Spin magazine accompanied Robert throughout his June 1993 Italian tour and provided this review:

Bologne, Italy 'Roxy Bar' (television progam) June 13, 1993

Plant sings ‘I Believe’, perhaps for the first time to a live audience. Maybe it’s just as well that this one doesn’t understand English, and doesn’t stop bopping blissfully even as he is singing about his son’s cremation. But when he gets to the first chorus, all too naked without the supporting noise of a band or the comforts of his familiar echo, he chokes on the line that recalls how he told his daughter her “little brother is in the sky.” Practiced performer that he is, he salvages the moment by tossing his hand past his sunglasses, through his hair, in what will pass for yet another extravagant, campy rock gesture, but is really the brushing away of a tear.

---------------------------------------

The promotional video for 'I Believe' was filmed less than two weeks later on June 23rd & 24th near Bude along the Cornish coast. Video contains the following textual narratives:

High Over Head

They Hoisted and Fixed

A Gold Signum

Gave Him To The Flood

Let The Seas Take Him

With Sour Hearts

And Mourning Moods

and also

Men Have Not The Knowledge

To Say With Any Truth

However Tall Beneath The Heavens

However Much Listened To

Who Unloaded That Boat

----------------------------

The second narrative is entirely consistent with his candid response of "I don't know" to the host of Sweden's 'Godnatt Sverige' television program (aired 4/20/05) whom asked Robert where he thought John Bonham and Karac were now.

Link to the Promotional Video for I Believe:

http://www.vh1classic.com/view/artist/1424...eve/index.jhtml

----------------------------

An artistic statement as powerful as any the man has ever made. A genuine masterpiece.

Thanks Steve for the article. Always knew the context of the lyrics, but now with this article, "I Believe", is even more powerful and takes on more meaning. Pretty amazing.

To lose your child the way Robert did at such a young age, must be unbearable and I'm sure he's never been able to get over. Only six years old, from a rare virus and there was nothing he could do about it. The fact that his young boy of six years, was never able to live his life and was taken from Robert and Maureen in an instant. So tough. He can cope now, the memories are there as is the pain.

Edited by SuperDave