Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

An article from the New York Daily News dated June 12th 1977 and refering to their MSG 'residency' ,shows a pic of Maureen, Carmen and Karac watching a show - as the photograph was taken by the NYDN photographer, it seems logical to asume it was taken at one of the New York shows.

Excellent find, Knebby. This would suggest they may have flown back to London from

Newark on or around June 14th, the date the band flew to Los Angeles. There is the

also the possibility they stayed with the band thru their L.A. stint ending June 27th.

Steve.....Is there any detailed information about Jimmy's trip to Cairo ?

Meg has raised some valid points in her post, and Jimmy himself has said he enjoys the Cairo Museum. However, so far as I know he's never publicly shared any details about

that particular visit beyond the inspiration for his having gone there - seeing some film

footage on television of the Graf Zeppelin in flight over the pyramids.

Knebby has stated the trip was just four days, and I can tell you it was taken sometime

between May 2-11 1977 while on mid-tour break. Clearly, it had nothing to do with his

whereabouts the day Robert learned the tragic news of Karac's death - July 26 1977.

No evidence here that Page was in New Orleans.

:beat:

Meg

la la la la la

Following this ordeal in Oakland, the members separated: John Paul remained in California and went on a camping trip with family; Jimmy and Peter remained in San Francisco; and Bonzo, Cole, and Plant headed to New Orleans, the site of their next show.

- Steven Rosen

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/...jimmy_page.html

Edited by eternal light

He (Jimmy Page) was not at the hotel in New Orleans on Tuesday the 26th

I have never seen any evidence to suggest he was, but then again never seen any evidence to suggest he was not. I do know Grant, Plant, Bonham and Cole arrived in New Orleans aboard Ceasar's Chariot on Tue, July 26th. The next concert was set for the Superdome on Sat, so there is the real possibility Jimmy had elected to remain in California to enjoy the time off and JPJ elected to travel separately with his family.

We know $25,000 worth of heroin was purchased on Fri, July 22, so Jimmy may have been in poor condition for travel. Given the furor throughout the Bay Area surrounding the brawl in Oakland if he remained behind he undoubtedly was sequestered.

I don't think Peter Grant would have risked additional problems/issues by letting Jimmy move/travel anywhere else unneccesarily, so I believe Jimmy either stayed put at the San Francisco Hilton or was onboard Ceasar's Chariot when it landed in New Orleans on 7/26.

Edited by SteveAJones

I have never seen evidence he was in New Orleans. However do you have evidence that he wasn't in Egypt after what happened? According to Richard Cole he was, and there has been no questioning of this account in the three books that have been published which do contain his statement. I stand by the claim Jimmy was not in New Orleans.

I have never seen any evidence to suggest he was, but I do know everyone else arrived in New Orleans aboard Ceasar's Chariot on Tue, July 26th.

I have never seen evidence he was in New Orleans. However do you have evidence that he wasn't in Egypt after what happened? According to Richard Cole he was, and there has been no questioning of this account in the three books that have been published which do contain his statement. I stand by the claim Jimmy was not in New Orleans.

So far as I know Jimmy only went to Egypt (Cairo) once in '77; had he gone twice I think I'd know. Cole has said he accompanied Jimmy, Charlotte and Scarlet on a nearly

two week trip to Guadalupe, West Indies that summer, and undoubtedly this was after Jimmy and Peter met in London and decided to take a break from activity for as long as Robert needed.

Given Jimmy participated in an 8/14/77 gig at the Half Moon in Plumtpon to benefit the Goaldiggers Football Charity as well as jammed with Billy Kinsley of Liverpool Express, Phil Carson, and Carl Simmons during the annual Warner-Elektra-Atlantic Conference at the

Metropole Hotel in Brighton on 9/8/77 the West Indies trip most likely occured between these two events. It probably would not have been prior to this because all the remaining concerts were not officially cancelled until nearly a week after Karac's death. Note Peter Grant did announce cancellation of 7/30/77 New Orleans, 8/2-3/77 Chicago, & 8/6/77 Buffalo in the lobby of the Maison Dupuy hotel the morning of 7/27/77.

Edited by SteveAJones

But if Steven Rosen is correct, Peter Grant stayed in San Francisco with Jimmy Page.

A memory jogger and this would support having stayed put at the San Francisco Hilton.

Even so, there is no question Peter ultimately arrived in New Orleans on Tue, 7/26 or

Wed 7/27 as he held a press conference in the lobby of the Maison Dupuy the morning of Wed, 7/27.

Edited by SteveAJones

It's all very murky isn't it? Which story is correct? While Jimmy wasn't in Egypt on the 26th, he wasn't at that hotel in New Orleans either (I realise I slipped up and contradicated an earlier post I made in the "Oakland Incident" thread" which I state he was still in San Francisco on the 26th, which is most likely). I would like to see evidence where Jimmy was in the week *after* the 26th. No-one yet has said where other than Richard Cole and the Peter Grant biography. :book:

But if Steven Rosen is correct, Peter Grant stayed in San Francisco with Jimmy Page.

Edited: Added book

Edited by Meg Ireland

It's all very murky isn't it? Which story is correct? While I would concede Jimmy wasn't in Egypt on the 26th, he wasn't at that hotel in New Orleans either (I realise I slipped up and contradicated an earlier post I made in the "Oakland Incident" thread" which I state he was still in San Francisco on the 26th, which is most likely). I would like to see evidence where Jimmy was in the week *after* the 26th. No-one yet has said where other than Richard Cole. :book:

The Steven Rosen input has jogged my memory a bit, and it suggests Jimmy stayed in

California (probably San Francisco) until after the press conference on 7/27. Note not

all the dates were immediately cancelled, only those thru 8/6, so it's conceivable Jimmy stayed in California or the USA until the final cancellations were announced about a week after 7/26. That still gives he and Peter sufficient time to meet in London prior to

his next known public appearance (on 8/14 at the Half Moon in Plumpton).

The Steven Rosen input has jogged my memory a bit, and it suggests Jimmy stayed in

California (probably San Francisco) until after the press conference on 7/27. Note not

all the dates were immediately cancelled, only those thru 8/6, so it's conceivable Jimmy stayed in California or the USA until the final cancellations were announced about a week after 7/26. That still gives he and Peter sufficient time to meet in London prior to

his next known public appearance (on 8/14 at the Half Moon in Plumpton).

Date August 14, 1977

Location Plumpton, Sussex, England

Venue The Half Moon

Jimmy jams with Ron Wood and local band Arms and Legs to raise money at a charity golf event to aid underprivileged children.

http://www.ledzepconcerts.com/concertdates...p?id=jp19770814

September 17, 1977: Ron Wood and Jimmy Page play a charity gig in a pub in Plumpton, England.

http://www.timeisonourside.com/chron1977.html

Edited by eternal light

From my newspaper archive:

Pittsburg Post July 29, 1977

pittsburgpostjul29.jpg

We had procured tickets for the August 9, 1977 show at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh but that was eventually cancelled when Robert Plant’s son passed away at the end of July.

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/node/778/2295

Edited by eternal light

QUOTE Jimmy jams with Ron Wood and local band Arms and Legs to raise money at a charity golf event to aid underprivileged children.

http://www.ledzepconcerts.com/concertdates...p?id=jp19770814

QUOTE September 17, 1977: Ron Wood and Jimmy Page play a charity gig in a pub in Plumpton, England.

http://www.timeisonourside.com/chron1977.html

I believe the information provided by both links concerning this jam is incorrect.

My notes show it was an 8/14/77 performance to benefit the Goaldiggers Football Charity and the band Arms and Legs was from Portsmouth. Dave Lewis' book 'The Concert File' supports this as well.

The UK magazine 'Sounds' published a news item titled 'An Evening with Jim and Ron' in it's Aug 27th issue, which would have been on newstands well before Sept 17.

I believe the information provided by both links concerning this jam is incorrect.

My notes show it was an 8/14/77 performance to benefit the Goaldiggers Football Charity and the band Arms and Legs was from Portsmouth. Dave Lewis' book 'The Concert File' supports this as well.

The UK magazine 'Sounds' published a news item titled 'An Evening with Jim and Ron' in it's Aug 27th issue, which would have been on newstands well before Sept 17.

AUGUST 14 - THE HALF MOON, PLUMPTON, ENGLAND (SUNDAY)

Jimmy Page joining Ron Wood and a group from Portsmouth named Arms And Legs for an accasional jam, which was a part of a charity golf event in aid of the Goaldiggers football charity for underpriviliged children.

http://www.argenteumastrum.com/other_dates...appearances.htm

And the September 17 jam happened at a pub, unlike the one on August 14 that took place on a golf course apparently. These appear to be two different charity events.

Edited by eternal light

At least one Stones bio (Nico Zentgraf's "Complete Works") says it was 9/17/77 at the Half Moon Pub in Putney.

Here's a few more headlines from this time:

22-Jul-77 SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE

Bay Area Events: "Led Zeppelin, Jazz Fest and Salsa"

22-Jul-77 SEATTLE TIMES

"Was the Led Zeppelin Concert Really that Bad?"

24-Jul-77 SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE / EXAMINER

"Led Zeppelin Comes Back - with a Big, but Boring Sound"

25-Jul-77 SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE

"Sharing the Vibes Not Enough"

25-Jul-77 (Unknown) "Zeppelin Doesn't Fly"

25-Jul-77 TIMES, THE (Palo Alto, CA)

"Powerful Sounds From Led Zeppelin"

26-Jul-77 SACRAMENTO BEE

"Rock Band Drummer Among 4 Arrested"

26-Jul-77 CALIFORNIAN

"Band, Stage Officials Arrested"

26-Jul-77 EVENING TRIBUNE

"4 In Led Zeppelin Spend Hours In Jail"

26-Jul-77 INDEPENDENT

"Led Zep Drummer Arrested"

26-Jul-77 INDEPENDENT JOURNAL

"Drummer Is Arrested"

26-Jul-77 LOS ANGELES TIMES

"Led Zeppelin Drummer, Manager Seized"

26-Jul-77 NEWS

"Jail for 4 with Led Zeppelin"

26-Jul-77 OAKLAND TRIBUNE

"Led Zeppelin Drummer, Three Others are Arrested"

26-Jul-77 PENINSULA HERALD

"Four Zeppelin Associates Jailed for Alleged Fight"

26-Jul-77 REVIEW-JOURNAL

"Rock Group Members Arrested"

26-Jul-77 SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE

"Led Zeppelin Drummer Arrested for Assault"

26-Jul-77 SEATTLE TIMES

"Led Zeppelin Drummer, Manager Seized"

26-Jul-77 TIMES, THE (Palo Alto, CA)

"Some of Zeppelin Arrested After Concert"

26-Jul-77 TIMES, THE (Palo Alto, CA)

"4 Led Zeppelin Arrests Made"

26-Jul-77 TRIBUNE

"Led Zeppelin Drummer, Three Others Are Arrested"

26-Jul-77 (Unknown)

"Led Zeppelin's Drummer Arrested on Assault Charge"

27-Jul-77 DAILY TIMES ADVOCATE

"Led Zeppelin's Drummer Arrested on Assault Charges"

27-Jul-77 DALLAS MORNING NEWS

"Zeppelin Members Booked On Assault"

27-Jul-77 ENTERPRISE

"Graham Defends Charges"

27-Jul-77 EVENING OUTLOOK

"Led Zeppelin Drummer Held On Assault Charge"

27-Jul-77 HOLLYWOOD VARIETY

"Arrested Zeppelin Entourage Arraignment Date Not Yet Set"

27-Jul-77 NEVADA STATE JOURNAL

"Zeppelin Trouble"

27-Jul-77 SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE

"3 Bill Graham Employees Sue Led Zeppelin Group"

27-Jul-77 SAN FRANCISCO EXAMINER

"$2 Million Suit Against 3 from Led Zeppelin"

27-Jul-77 STAR FREE PRESS

"Promoter Tells Why He Had Rock Star Arrested"

27-Jul-77 TRIBUNE

"Rock Stage Workers File $2 Million Suit"

28-Jul-77 DAILY EXPRESS

Death of Karac Plant

28-Jul-77 SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE

"Plant's Son Dies; Zeppelin Tour Off"

28-Jul-77 SAN FRANCISCO EXAMINER

"Led Zeppelin Cancels Concert"

28-Jul-77 TIMES-PICAYUNE

"Led Zeppelin Cancels Saturday Dome Concert"

28 (?) Aug 77 (Unknown)

"Led Zeppelin Cancels Concert"

29-Jul-77 SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE

"Zeppelin Violence -- A Cause Celebre"

30-Jul-77 SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE

"Zeppelin May Play 7 Dates"

6-Aug-77 BILLBOARD

Genral News: "Violence, Tragedy Mat U.S. Zeppelin Tour"

6-Aug-77 MELODY MAKER

"Tragedy Strikes Robert Plant"

? Aug (?) 77 (Unknown)

"30,000 Tickets Sold, Zeppelin Concerts Canceled at Arena"

Ad: Led Zeppelin live at Civic Arena Pittsburgh August 9th & 10th 1977 CANCELLED

11-Aug-77 DETROIT NEWS, THE

Injured Pontiac Silverdome concert attendees file suit against Led Zeppelin

12-Aug-77 RAM

"Tour Carnage '77" (Originally published June 11th 1977)

Sep-77 ROCK

"Is There A Curse On Led Zeppelin?"

8-Sep-77 ROLLING STONE

"The Wrong Goodbye: Zep Leaves America"

Quite possibly Monday the 1st, since the announcement had been made on the Thursday July 28th that *all* concerts were being cancelled. See newspaper clippings.

Meg

Here's a few more headlines from this time:

? Aug (?) 77 (Unknown)

"30,000 Tickets Sold, Zeppelin Concerts Canceled at Arena"

Ad: Led Zeppelin live at Civic Arena Pittsburgh August 9th & 10th 1977 CANCELLED

At least one Stones bio (Nico Zentgraf's "Complete Works") says it was 9/17/77 at the Half Moon Pub in Putney.

Hi, Scott. Truly, I think all these folks are mistaken. The Page/Wood jam was 8/14/77 at the Half Moon in Plumpton. Anyone familiar with Plumpton Place (Jimmy's residence

at the time) knows the Half Moon pub is just across an open field no more than 100 yards away. That pub was Jimmy's local and there allegedly hung on it's walls for many years a photo or a painting depicting local residents, with Jimmy among them. If I get

a chance I will post my photos of the Half Moon in Plumpton.

The Half Moon in Putney is relevant to the Stones through the years but so far as I know it has nothing to do with Jimmy with the exception of a Friday, 6/4/93 Roy Harper gig Jimmy attended there. He did not perform on account of being tired from filming the promotional video for Coverdale/Page's single 'Take Me For A Little While' earlier that day.