Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

It appears there were two jams on different dates. One was at a pub and the other was a golf event.

It may appear that way but it isn't so. No Page/Wood jam in Putney - ever. The jam they did have in Plumpton was to benefit a football charity; nothing to do with golf. Those links and that Stones author are wrong.

The jam they did have in Plumpton was to benefit a football charity; nothing to do with golf.

AUGUST 14 - THE HALF MOON, PLUMPTON, ENGLAND (SUNDAY)

Jimmy Page joining Ron Wood and a group from Portsmouth named Arms And Legs for an accasional jam, which was a part of a charity golf event in aid of the Goaldiggers football charity for underpriviliged children.

http://www.argenteumastrum.com/other_dates...appearances.htm

And both events apparently took place at Plumpton each one on a different date.

September 17, 1977: Ron Wood and Jimmy Page play a charity gig in a pub in Plumpton, England.

http://www.timeisonourside.com/chron1977.html

Edited by eternal light

Here's a few more headlines from this time:

25-Jul-77 SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE

"Sharing the Vibes Not Enough"

25-Jul-77 (Unknown) "Zeppelin Doesn't Fly"

25-Jul-77 TIMES, THE (Palo Alto, CA)

"Powerful Sounds From Led Zeppelin"

Focusing on these out of curiosity...

are these 3 regarding the same concert?

If yes, that says a lot.

Good analogy E.L., Must be unbelievable to deal with. When someone says I feel your pain. I don't believe that, because they didn't lose a child. They feel the loss, but not the pain. I don't wish that on anyone.

some people actually can feel other people's pain

And both events apparently took place at Plumpton each one on a different date.

Ok, two separate events at Half Moon in Plumpton involving Page/Wood is possible, but I strongly believe it was just the one on 8/14/77. Charlie Watts lived just down

the road in Lewes, by the way. Anyway, I'll look into it further and post my findings.

Focusing on these out of curiosity...

are these 3 regarding the same concert?

If yes, that says a lot.

No, but your underlying point of receiving mixed reviews is valid nonetheless:

25-Jul-77 SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE "Sharing the Vibes Not Enough"

(Negative review of the July 23 & 24 '77 Oakland Coliseum concerts)

25-Jul-77 (Unknown) "Zeppelin Doesn't Fly"

(Negative review of the July 24 '77 Oakland Coliseum concert)

25-Jul-77 TIMES, THE (Palo Alto, CA) "Powerful Sounds From Led Zeppelin"

(Positive review of the July 23 '77 Oakland Coliseum concert)

I'm surprised Woody and Jimmy got on well. This is from Ron Wood's autobiography called Ronnie (p. 161) I recently finished reading:

"Meanwhile I was met at the door of the Wick by Krissie [Wood]. The relationship was petering out. I took a barrage of abuse, she was saying she didn't love me and had planned to divorce me anyway. Then she confessed she loved Jimmy Page and had lived with him for months often wearing nothing but a sheet, while I was having my fling with Patti Boyd. I couldn't handle this any more, and realized this was my chance. I decided, it's now or never, and left."

Ronnie Wood divorced Krissie in March 1978.

Meg

It may appear that way but it isn't so. No Page/Wood jam in Putney - ever. The jam they did have in Plumpton was to benefit a football charity; nothing to do with golf. Those links and that Stones author are wrong.

We know $25,000 worth of heroin was purchased on Fri, July 22, so Jimmy may have been in poor condition for travel. Given the furor throughout the Bay Area surrounding the brawl in Oakland if he remained behind he undoubtedly was sequestered.

If all the rock bands back then took their heroin and coke money

and sent them to third world countries....

Lunch with the “Wild Man”

by John L. Crow

Aug 4, 2007

This afternoon I had the opportunity to have lunch with “Wild Man” Dent Myers. We were joined by Marjorie Lyon, who works with Dent, and John Cooke, long time friend of Myers. Dent is a well known, enigmatic figure in the local North Georgia area. He owns and operates a civil war history and memorabilia store in the heart of Kennesaw, Georgia. Often maligned for his political views about race and government, few people know that Myers was an early investigator and practitioner of Thelema and magick. In fact, the O.T.O. archive has four pages of correspondence between Myers and others cataloged. He corresponded with the Germers, both Karl and Sascha, Somerset Maugham, John Symonds, and had a large correspondence with Israel Regardie throughout all the 1960s into 1970. Since Myers was such an early figure in the magical revival in the 1960s, I thought it would be important to meet with him and spend some time learning about his past, how he became involved with occultism and in particular, Thelema and Crowley.

Dent Myers was born in White County, Georgia on January 29, 1931. (It may be just an interesting coincidence, but White County, Georgia is also where Peter Davidson, of the Hermetic Brotherhood of Light, tried to establish his commune based on the ideas of the HBL and Max Theon.) Nevertheless, the son of share croppers, Dent grew up in rural Georgia attending school up to college where, for two years, he attended off campus courses from the University of Georgia in the field of abnormal psychology. His interest in the occult started in high school where he started purchasing books about spells and magic from Johnson Smith & Company out of Detroit, Michigan. As Myers matured, he purchased other books about occultism and it was in a John Symonds book that Myers first read about Aleister Crowley and Thelema. In particular, it was Liber AL vel Legis that really caught Myers attention. After that, Myers began corresponding with the authors and figures he read about in attempts to acquire the very scarce Crowley books available at the time. Many of the books were very difficult to acquire, but Myers feels that Crowley himself wanted him to have the books and assistend him in getting them. Some of the books he had were first editions of the Book of Thoth, and the tarot cards made Germer. Myers purchased as much as he could from all the Crowley publishers in the states and England. He told of the time that Samuel Weiser sent him the whole first volume of the Equinox unannounced and then allowed him to make payments on it as the upfront cost for the set was considerable, even at that time.

Myers also told me of a time that during a ceremony he placed his girlfriend of the time into a mesmeric state. He instructed her to contact Aleister Crowley directly which she did. She described the environment as a library in the netherworld filled with volume after volume. In it sat Crowley in a white robe. An aspect Myers stressed was that while there Crowley was appearing to decrease in age. The reason for the meeting was that Myers wanted a particular book that was hard to come by. Crowley told him how to get it. After the ceremony Myers followed Crowley’s instruction and was, indeed, able to acquire the book.

Being that the active and serious Thelemic/occult world was relatively small in the 1960s and 1970s, Myers had the opportunity to correspond and meet many figures considered historically important today. Also, having started collecting the books and material in high school, Myers had an extensive collection that many early occultists admired. One of the figures eager to meet Myers and see his book collection was Led Zeppelin guitarist and Crowley collector, Jimmy Page. Myers has a number of photographs with him and Page in front of his massive book collection.

Myers tells of how the meeting came about. As the Crowley collecting community was relatively small, his collection came to the attention of Jimmy Page and while performing a Led Zeppelin show in Atlanta, Page called Myers and asked to see the books. Unfortunately the timing was not right; Myers was just leaving to attend a gun show. The next stop for Zeppelin was in Florida so Page made arrangements to fly back to Atlanta after the show so he could peruse Myers’ collection. Myers and Page stayed in contact over the years. Myers showed me postcards and letters sent to him by Jimmy Page wishing Myers well and hoping to be able to visit Myers again in the near future.

One very nice example is a large format, black and white card with an Austin Spare print on the front and in the inside, hand written is:

Dent, Many moons since I saw you. Should be in the U.S. in perhaps January & February. We could meet. With the Seasons Greetings, Jimmy Page.

The cards has “Jimmy Page, Plumpton Place, Plumpton, Sussex” printed at the bottom. In addition to the Crowley collection, Myers also had other books like a first edition Abramelin the Mage, first editions of Regardie books, and more. Myers even stated that Regardie used to send him manuscripts to review before publication.

Myers also showed me a curious letter from Eric Hill sent on May 13, 1974. Hill was a friend of Page’s who with Page opened Equinox Books (if I recall correctly) in London. The letter states that they wanted a Confederate flag “for obvious reasons of heritage” for their shop.

Another person who knew Myers and was also involved with Crowley collecting was Michael Bertiaux student and William Breeze teacher, Jack Hogg. Concerned about the welfare off the collection after a flood nearly destroyed his home, Myers contacted Hogg who, with the help of Breeze and another, probably Anthony Iannotti, took Myers’ Crowley collection along with a few others books and letters and added them to the Ordo Templi Orientis archive. The items turned over to the O.T.O. archive also included a pipe Myers had that was previous owned by Crowley.

Since then Myers has continued to practice, but not in a ceremonial fashion. He stated that once you start in occultism, it is hard to leave and that once you have been practicing a long time, it becomes part of you and you no longer have to perform a ceremony, you can simply will things to happen. Myers said that this is how it is with him and he joked that he has to make sure he does not lose his temper or else he loses control and things just happen!

The afternoon was informative and entertaining. Myers has a great sense of humor that comes from a life filled with adventure and mishaps. While I don’t share many of his political views, I do think his story is worth knowing and preserving. I think there are a lot of early occultists and Thelemites from the 1950s through the 1980’s that all have important and interesting stories and these should be recorded and documented. I hope to continue the discussion with Myers over the next few weeks before I leave for Amsterdam and learn more about the early days when the magical revival was just starting.

Photo Link to Dent Myers and his store:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/frater117/set...57601220585415/

Since Myers was born in 1930 and the bulk of Regardie's occult manuscripts were published before 1938, one would have to ask what he was actually reviewing...

Meg

In addition to the Crowley collection, Myers also had other books like a first edition Abramelin the Mage, first editions of Regardie books, and more. Myers even stated that Regardie used to send him manuscripts to review before publication.

Myers also showed me a curious letter from Eric Hill sent on May 13, 1974. Hill was a friend of Page's who with Page opened Equinox Books (if I recall correctly) in London. The letter states that they wanted a Confederate flag "for obvious reasons of heritage" for their shop.

Below is a link to a magazine that interviewed Eric Hill concerning the Equinox bookshop

he opened with Jimmy in Kensington. Unfortunately, the issue is sold out. If anyone has

this issue of the magazine and is willing to send me a reproduction copy please contact me.

http://behutetmagazine.com/backissues/issue37.htm

I believe Cairo was chosen as this was the place in which Aleister Crowley resided while in Egypt. He wrote The Book of Law, dictating notes from a spirit called Aiwass in 1904. It's also just a stones throw away from the pyramids, and the Stele of Revealing at the Cairo Museum. He was still travelling in Egypt when the death of Karac occured.

Meg

No he wasn't.

Jimmy Page was not at the hotel on Tuesday the 26th, and he wasn't at Karac funeral days after that because he was in Egypt uncontactable.Meg

Untrue. He knew all about Karac's death and wasn't in Egypt at the time. When he WAS in Egypt, he wasn't uncontactable.

Richard Cole in Peter Grant's biography (p. 198) as well as his own book and Hammer of the Gods (p. 288) has stated that the reason why Page did not attend because he was in Egypt. Only Robert, Bonham and Cole flew back to England after hearing the news. Neither Peter Grant, John Paul Jones, or Jimmy Page could be with Robert or attend the funeral of Karac.Meg

Wrong - as I stated last night, Dennis Sheehan was also with them. The people you name COULD have attended the funeral but CHOSE not to.

Thanks for conceding B) There is no substantive evidence to suggest Jimmy Page was at that New Orleans hotel on Tuesday July 26th. I believe Steve Jones in another post in another thread has also mentioned that he hasn't seen irrefutable evidence either.

I am happy to concede when there is evidence that I am wrong. However, you haven't provided any.Your entire argument suggested it was something you were absolutely certain about. I'm surprised to see you had no evidence to support this.

When are you going to concede that YOU were wrong about the inital point that I tackled you on and several points since? The idea that Jimmy trotted off to Egypt during a 5 or 6 day break between shows and was still there during Karac's funeral despite being "uncontactable" and therefore apparently unaware that the rest of the tour had been cancelled - and so he should have been back in the US playing gigs - is ludicrous.

No, you clearly said he was at the hotel in New Orleans on that day, which has already been demonstrated not to be true. I have no idea why keep focussing on this. Your attitude is becoming aggressive and irrational. Desist. (Now I know what SunChild and Misty Mountain went through).

-

Note Peter Grant did announce cancellation of 7/30/77 New Orleans, 8/2-3/77 Chicago, & 8/6/77 Buffalo in the lobby of the Maison Dupuy hotel the morning of 7/27/77.

So Peter was clearly in New Orleans - even though Rosen said he stayed in SF with Jimmy. Another reliable source there then. :rolleyes:

No, you clearly said he was at the hotel in New Orleans on that day, which has already been demonstrated not to be true. I have no idea why keep focussing on this. Your attitude is becoming aggressive and irrational. Desist. (Now I know what SunChild and Misty Mountain went through).

Are you kidding? "Desist"? Who do you think you are?

I think its pretty clear to anyone reading this - I've conceded when I might be wrong and backed up where YOU were wrong with evidence - you've done neither. There's nothing irrational or aggressive about my posts. You're the one saying "Desist" and trying to drag in previous issues I've had with other posters which had nothing to do with you or the fact that you got these things WRONG.

You're the one who keeps bringing this issue up. You have a past history of acting aggressive to other posters on this website, and you have just proved that point.... Here I will end it by saying your claim that Jimmy Page was in New Orleans on the day Plant found out has proven not to be true.

Welcome to my ignore list.

Are you kidding? "Desist"? Who do you think you are?

----

Invariably though, she [Knebby] acts like she's is too important to be bothered. Also invariably, one or more of her group of friends will wander in and explain what a great person she is and what's wrong with me.
Edited by Meg Ireland

You have a past history of acting aggressive to other posters on this website, and you have just proved that point.... I will end it by saying your claim that Jimmy Page was in New Orleans on the day Plant found out has proven not to be true.

I CONCEDED I may well be wrong about Jimmy in New Orleans (still haven't seen any PROOF though, so you're wrong there). You cannot let that go. You won't admit to being wrong about anything - even when your major source appears to be Richard Cole, who has given at least two different versions of the story.

Don't think your 'history' around here is untarnished. You have a history of always having to be right about everything around here - even when you aren't. Don't think that hasn't already been discussed around here. We all have people who like us and people who don't.

I don't feel at all threatened or upset by anyone's "ignore list". It won't lose me any sleep.

And I'll end by pointing out that in my post above I listed several points that YOU got wrong.

Edited by Knebby

You're the one who keeps bringing this issue up. You have a past history of acting aggressive to other posters on this website, and you have just proved that point.... I will end it by saying your claim that Jimmy Page was in New Orleans on the day Plant found out has proven not to be true.

Where's her aggression? I don't see any at all, she's talking facts, why won't you admit to the things you got wrong? She admitted to maybe being wrong about Jimmy in New Orleans - clear as day. You keep on gloating over that like you have something against her already. Seems to me Knebby has personal evidence which beats your collection of books and cuttings. Maybe your jealous? Don' know for sure but there must be a reason why you're being so shitty when it was clearly you who got the facts wrong in the first place by saying Jimmy was in Egypt at the time of Robert's son's death.

Sometimes, you can be wrong y'know. It doesn't have to hurt.

QUOTE (SunChild @ Jun 4 2008, 09:20 AM)

Invariably though, she [Knebby] acts like she's is too important to be bothered. Also invariably, one or more of her group of friends will wander in and explain what a great person she is and what's wrong with me.

----

I'm not one of her friends Meg. I knew sod all about her but I've learned a lot about both of you from this debate; and quoting another poster's attack on her just because she proved you wrong is pretty pathetic.

Her posts were neither irrational nor agressive, you just couldn't bear her to prove you wrong and resorted to dragging up her disagreements with OTHER PEOPLE to support your lack of humility. Sad.

PS SORRY TO BE INTERRUPTING YOUR THREAD STEVE -IT'S A GREAT ONE! JUST HAD TO RESPOND>

Edited by Tara*rocks

I'm surprised Woody and Jimmy got on well. This is from Ron Wood's autobiography called Ronnie (p. 161) I recently finished reading:

I don't think it is curious. I guess both Jimmy and Ronnie felt nothing about Krrisy issue.

Krissy was just a groupie or something after all.

In fact she was rolled by a lot of men. Slut like her was a toy for men in this era.

George Harrison, John Lennon,Jimmy Page....from 1973 till 1974 as far as I know.

She claimed she had lost her virginity to Eric Clapton on her mum's sofa in Ealing,but Eric never wrote about her in his own autobiography.

When Ronnie found his true love(Jo),he dumped Krissy easily.

Edited by Alice75