Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Interesting. In Buell's autobiography she actually says it wasn't Jimmy that called her a "coke whore", but intimated it was Plant and Grant. It's on page 82 of Rebel Heart.

"I was very attracted to Jimmy Page. He was my type — very dashing, very English, very Renaissance. He had that otherwordly, other- time vibe. If you fantasized about being a

princess and having a prince come and sweep you off your feet and take you on horseback to his castle, Jimmy Page was Sir Lancelot. What girl woudn't enjoy that fantasy, even if it was only for a week? We went out to dinner at expensive restaurants every night. We went shopping. Jimmy liked to go to metaphysical/astrology bookshops. We spent a lot of time in bed. We stayed up all night, hanging out, doing drugs, talking with Robert, Peter, Richard, and their entourages. Sometimes, I would do a little cocaine; other times, I would say no. I think Jimmy found that refreshing. I overheard him telling Robert and Peter, "She's not a coke whore."

The last couple of lines don't suggest that Plant and Grant called her a "coke whore," simply that Jimmy told them that she wasn't one.

Good golly everyone were "coke whores" back then, MEN too!

I don't get what difference it makes to Alice75. :blink::blink:

Not to put too fine a point on it, the men weren't exactly celibate either. Seems to me they'd could and did get laid everywhere they went.

Man hos, the lot of them. Surrounded by woman hos, if we must put it that way.

It was the 70's after all, and AIDS had yet to rear it's ugly head.

Rock on...

Jimmy called Miss Pamela a bimbo? Harsh. She seems like such a charming woman. Did he call her this in public and what was the provocation - her first book?

No, I believe that he made this remark earlier. I'm not sure that I remember what the provocation was. Perhaps their relationship was more characterized by passion than friendship and did not develop into a true intimacy.

Edited by eternal light

I would think that living near the venue at the time would have given a person access to the local newspapers.

If I had lived that close to a venue in 77 then I wouldn't have needed the papers I would have been there at the show B)

Having the papers doesn't make someone an expert :mellow:

Having the papers doesn't make someone an expert.

It gives them access to news reports. Online archives for the San Francisco Chronicle date back only as far as 1995. Someone who lived in the area would have had access to those articles that were published at the time.

Edited by eternal light

Forum members should always bear in mind this is a mysteries thread; by definition most of the topics discussed here have no obvious answer. In some instances, it will take (or has already taken) input from a band member to obtain the facts.

Whilst pursuing accurate details, contradictory info is often encountered. Respect for others is therefore essential to the endeavor. There is no point & nothing to be gained by posting anything here in a manner that discourages others from collaborating.

Back to the mysteries...

It reminds me of a jigsaw puzzle.

Jimmy called Miss Pamela a bimbo? Harsh. She seems like such a charming woman. Did he call her this in public and what was the provocation - her first book?

No, I believe that he made this remark earlier. I'm not sure that I remember what the provocation was. Perhaps their relationship was more characterized by passion than friendship and did not develop into a true intimacy.

This is my personal opinion.

The reason why Jimmy was angry to Pamela was possibly that she had referred to Page's beloved daughter in her first book.

Pamela wrote the hearsay about Scarlet.

There might not be father who is not angry for inaccurate hearsay to be written about his child.

Hey guess what ledded, I don't bow down or kiss arses with anyone. Particularly when some of the these self-proclaimed experts send me personal messages that they are actually members of the band in disguise on this forum, as if to justify what they were saying is the truth, or another user on this forum who used a sockpuppet account to attack me and another user when they were losing an argument - that's what I regard as low. I say what I say on my own terms and I leave a website on my own terms, despite what anyone says or does.

Meg i am not sure what your position with my statment is as it was more about a 3rd person leapin gin to continue stirring up sperosnal disike of someone and you seem to have got hooked into it rather than sticking with yor own personal point and experiences.

My bowing down statement was just that, there are people around who have more knowledge etc that I do and I acknowledge that and its no problem to me. So keep your arse kissing lips to yourself if thats your way, nothing to do with me.

I have no idea what the rest of your post is about or what you are inferring or accusing people of or who you are alluding to. I have no idea what a sockpuppet account is either.

I read your disagreement on this thread but thats between you and the other person but it became a different personal attack in one of your posts and I am not sure why it had to be that way when you were disagreeing about something from over 30 years ago, that to me still has yet to have the absolute proof.

People disagree all the time, some can admit they are wrong others can't even when they know they are or there are doubts about band information, or politics or whatever. We all probably know something others don't, there's no need for people to be so protective or defensive about it. If people set themseves up as being the font of all wisdom then for me they can and should expect challenges to that stand point. I always find it amusing when people pull the " I am putting you on ignore cos I disagree with you" I can't imagine ever doing that no matter how much I amy dislike or disagree with them.

Perhaps you should re read my post, try not to read betwen the lines cos it wasn't really about you directly, my issue is with someone else.

I appreciate what people contribute to this forum with background knowledge and information but there are times when Ihave to suspend my own disbelief cos many a time things can't be corroborated fully I know thats partly why Steve started this thread to become clearer about a band steeped in so much so called "mystery" and isn't that partly why we are all here?

But we all have to except even you that someone else may have more information and from far more reliable sources. Does it really matter?

We will never really know unless the 3 guys give us that information and I bet even then there would be disagreements about what really happened behind the scenes.

I don't kiss arse either but then I don't pretend to be the font of all knowledge ( don't twist that) I was speaking for myself.

So have your discussions, agreements and disagreements but don't think that everyone is so in awe or kissy arsey either although there are times when it is nauseating when people are.

People can make their own minds up about what people say, think or share.

So you don't need to fight with me unless you are determined to and please don't use my friendship with others on the board as the reason to. I will defend my friends ( and I have quite a few on this forum) if I feel they are being unfairly attacked but it doesn't mean I have to accept they are always right.

So there you go.

No mystery :D

As far as the timeline, I remember the remark occurring prior to the book's publishing. Naturally I could be wrong. It's entirely possible that he commented in regard to her book, "I'm With The Band" or perhaps at the end of their dating relationship.

Edited by eternal light

Thanks Alice. Do you have any sources where these quotes came from, especially from Jimmy? It should put a perspective on why and when these words were said. I'm with the Band from memory, was published in 1987. Cheers :)

Meg

The reason why Jimmy was angry to Pamela was possibly that she had referred to Page's beloved daughter in her first book.

Pamela wrote the hearsay about Scarlet.

There might not be father who is not angry for inaccurate hearsay to be written about his child.

Thanks Alice. Do you have any sources where these quotes came from, especially from Jimmy? It should put a perspective on why and when these words were said. I'm with the Band from memory, was published in 1987. Cheers :)

Meg

Pamela wrote about Scarlet in I'm with the Band that she had heard a rumor Scarlet wanted to enter conventual. I personally felt author's malice a little.

I read a new biography of Zeppelin 'When Giants Walked the Earth' by Mick Wall (who is Jimmy's long time friend, so there must naturally be Jimmy's intention about his female relationships).

It can be thought that Pamela was only an other party who diverts boredom for Jimmy during tours.

The relation between Jimmy and Pamela is expressed by word 'dalliance'.

(168P)

At the end of August (in 1969),at Jimmy's invitation,Pamela joined the band in New York where they had a week off before their next show,a return date at Flushing Meadow's Singer Bowl.

When they parted at the airport,Jimmy bound for London,Pamela on her way home to LA,she was wearing his shirt and he was professing undying love.He had taken to introducing her to people as 'Mrs Page',she said,and she was sure it was the start of something more than a 'one tour-stand'.But Zeppelin was back six weeks later for the start of their fourth US tour and by then Page's feelings had already cooled.

(173P)

On January 9th 1970.

For Jimmy Page,the Albert Hall show would contain even more lasting significance.

Watching from the wings that night was The Who's vocalist Roger Daltrey. Misunderstanding the lack of support act,he observed,'I know why no-one wants to play with these guys.They're too good.'

With him that night was his then girlfriend,Heather,accompanied by a friend a young French model named Charlotte Martin.

A slim,elegant blonde with perfect features,she was Jimmy's type and he made sure Roger introduced him to her after the show.

Having dated Eric Clapton for a period in 1968, Charlotte was used to the attention of musicians,but Jimmy was different. Compared to most rock musicians she'd met he seemed quite sophisticated.

Quietly spoken,undemonstrative,but confident and quite sure of himself. When she invited him back to her London flat, he agreed to go without a second thought,getting Cole to drive them.

When the band gathered at Grant's office four days later to begin the drive down to their next show in Portsmouth,Charlotte was still on Jimmy's arm. With Pat Bonham.Maureen Plant and Mo Jones also joining the band on the road for the UK tour,suddenly Charlotte became the new 'Mrs Page',the slot previously occupied by Miss Pamela. However ,Jimmy's affair with Charlotte would remain in place

a lot longer than his dalliance with the prettiest GTO. It was,in fact, the start of the first really significant love affair of the guitarist's life, and one he would remain true to even after the band had returned to the road in America. An almost unheard of sacrifice, even for the married men in the band, for Jimmy it was a sign of something much deeper.''

Edited by Alice75

When I read a new biography of Zeppelin 'When Giants Walked the Earth' by Mick Wall (who is Jimmy's long time friend, so there must naturally be Jimmy's intention about his female relationships).

It can be thought that Pamela was only an other party who diverts boredom for Jimmy during tours.

The relation between Jimmy and Pamela is expressed by word 'dalliance'.

(168P)

At the end of August (in 1969),at Jimmy's invitation,Pamela joined the band in New York where they had a week off before their next show,a return date at Flushing Meadow's Singer Bowl.

When they parted at the airport,Jimmy bound for London,Pamela on her way home to LA,she was wearing his shirt and he was professing undying love.He had taken to introducing her to people as 'Mrs Page',she said,and she was sure it was the start of something more than a 'one tour-stand'.But Zeppelin was back six weeks later for the start of their fourth US tour and by then Page's feelings had already cooled.

(173P)

On January 9th 1970.

For Jimmy Page,the Albert Hall show would contain even more lasting significance.

Watching from the wings that night was The Who's vocalist Roger Daltrey. Misunderstanding the lack of support act,he observed,'I know why no-one wants to play with these guys.They're too good.'

With him that night was his then girlfriend,Heather,accompanied by a friend a young French model named Charlotte Martin.

A slim,elegant blonde with perfect features,she was Jimmy's type and he made sure Roger introduced him to her after the show.

Having dated Eric Clapton for a period in 1968, Charlotte was used to the attention of musicians,but Jimmy was different. Compared to most rock musicians she'd met he seemed quite sophisticated.

Quietly spoken,undemonstrative,but confident and quite sure of himself. When she invited him back to her London flat, he agreed to go without a second thought,getting Cole to drive them.

When the band gathered at Grant's office four days later to begin the drive down to their next show in Portsmouth,Charlotte was still on Jimmy's arm. With Pat Bonham.Maureen Plant and Mo Jones also joining the band on the road for the UK tour,suddenly Charlotte became the new 'Mrs Page',the slot previously occupied by Miss Pamela. However ,Jimmy's affair with Charlotte would remain in place

a lot longer than his dalliance with the prettiest GTO. It was,in fact, the start of the first really significant love affair of the guitarist's life, and one he would remain true to even after the band had returned to the road in America. An almost unheard of sacrifice, even for the married men in the band, for Jimmy it was a sign of something much deeper.''

Dalliance is a good word, not one you would associate with bands the women and life on the road :D

I haven't gotten that far in the book yet.

Edited by ledded1

I'm sorry to derail the mysteries thread and, while I don't have time to quote all of the posts about Pamela that were made here right now (I'm in the middle of cooking dinner), I just wanted to say that Pamela is a charming woman. She is also self-assured and charismatic. One of my friends met her and spent some time with her when Pamela was in Austin last month. I asked my friend about her and she told me that Pamela is still charming and self-assured and charismatic but my friend also described her as "wonderful" and "intelligent" and "caring" and "very spiritual". I don't know whether or when Jimmy might have called her a "bimbo" but no one I know who has ever spent time with Pamela and gotten to know her has described her as that.

I haven't found where the quote came from but I do know that in her autobiography she refers to Jimmy "stumbling around" for his bag of pills, and what Alice said. Certainly Page may have taken offence at that, whether it is true or not.

I'm sorry to derail the mysteries thread and, while I don't have time to quote all of the posts about Pamela that were made here right now (I'm in the middle of cooking dinner), I just wanted to say that Pamela is a charming woman. She is also self-assured and charismatic. One of my friends met her and spent some time with her when Pamela was in Austin last month. I asked my friend about her and she told me that Pamela is still charming and self-assured and charismatic but my friend also described her as "wonderful" and "intelligent" and "caring" and "very spiritual". I don't know whether or when Jimmy might have called her a "bimbo" but no one I know who has ever spent time with Pamela and gotten to know her has described her as that.

The "bimbo" comment was referred to by Pamela in her 2nd book "Take Another Little Piece Of My Heart". She was doing a radio interview at the time in Miami promoting "I'm With The Band" and Jimmy was in town with The Firm at the same time.

The DJ asked her "So what do you think about Jimmy Page calling you a bimbo?" The DJ played her an interview he had done with Jimmy a few hours earlier. The DJ asked him what he thought of her book and his reply was, "Oh I've met alot of bimbos out there. You know how girls like to exaggerate".

Edited by Roxie

But it does nothing to undo the mystery of the alleged bimbo comment.

For Ledded 1:

Dalliance is a good word, not one you would associate with bands the women and life on the road biggrin.gif

So I had to look up the word which means an act of dallying: as a: play ; especially : amorous play b: frivolous action : trifling

I don't understand Bimbo comment, if she was actually a bimbo or acting as one? Need clarification here.