Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

I tried to change the subject earlier but we got back to discussing the groupies, which is probably more interesting. I guess there are no set rules, just go with the flow.

I did notice that you tried to change the subject. :)

So, on that note, you were discussing Robert's comments about Karac's death from a book you read. Here is more from Robert about that time, "The simple fact is that when I lost my son, when Karac left us, I really changed. I mean, there's nothing on the planet to equal that kind of grief... it still makes me shudder," he says. "No matter how good you are or how capable you are or how strong you are or how well-intentioned you are, you don't get over anything like that. And from then on, I found the juggernaut lifestyle I went through with Zeppelin had to be modified and that's what I've done. And there are some places and situations I just won't go back to."

Robert Plant, Uncut Magazine - November 2007.

I did notice that you tried to change the subject. :)

So, on that note, you were discussing Robert's comments about Karac's death from a book you read. Here is more from Robert about that time, "The simple fact is that when I lost my son, when Karac left us, I really changed. I mean, there's nothing on the planet to equal that kind of grief... it still makes me shudder," he says. "No matter how good you are or how capable you are or how strong you are or how well-intentioned you are, you don't get over anything like that. And from then on, I found the juggernaut lifestyle I went through with Zeppelin had to be modified and that's what I've done. And there are some places and situations I just won't go back to."

Robert Plant, Uncut Magazine - November 2007.

Well, since it is now November 21, I am compelled to tell my story. Twenty two years ago today, I went into labor prematurely, and my first son was born 3 months early. He lived for a week and died on Novmber 29th. There is nothing worse in the world that can happen to a person than to loose a child. When you loose your parents, you have lost your past. When you loose a child, you have lost your future. So I totally understand what Robert meant by his statement. The thing that saved me from unrelenting grief is that I got pregnat again almost immediately and had another son almost a year later in December. I had to get over it to be a good mother to my second son.

Perhaps Robert associates being in Led Zeppelin with Karac's death and can't bear to participate again as a member of Led Zeppelin.

There is a nice article'Rock and Roll Dad'.

I love and respect him!

http://www.wurlitzer-jukebox.com/en-us/Lif...%20Roll%20Dads/

Jimmy Page

He has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Twice. He is one of the greatest guitarists and musicians of our generation. Probably the next, too. But apart from coming up with the most colossal riffs in the history of mankind, Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page's greatest accomplishment is daughter Scarlet, one of Britain's most popular rock photographers. Her portfolio features iconic shots of everyone from Dave Grohl and Noel Gallagher to Duran Duran and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Everyone, that is, but dad.

Well, since it is now November 21, I am compelled to tell my story. Twenty two years ago today, I went into labor prematurely, and my first son was born 3 months early. He lived for a week and died on Novmber 29th. There is nothing worse in the world that can happen to a person than to loose a child. When you loose your parents, you have lost your past. When you loose a child, you have lost your future. So I totally understand what Robert meant by his statement. The thing that saved me from unrelenting grief is that I got pregnat again almost immediately and had another son almost a year later in December. I had to get over it to be a good mother to my second son.

Perhaps Robert associates being in Led Zeppelin with Karac's death and can't bear to participate again as a member of Led Zeppelin.

So sorry to hear about that and I'm glad for you that you had another chance, although I'm sure there is still alot of pain for you about your firstborn.

Perhaps your last statement is true, I would think it plays a major part in his decisions, as he said in the interview. There is probably other things about that time in the group that are deciding factors for him as well.

Maybe others can post interviews etc. were Robert talks about this time specifically, that way the subject might fit better into the context of this thread.

Edited by lynn

I just found in the "Rough Guide to Led Zeppelin" the answer to the Cairo question.

The quote:

"During the two-week break before the next leg, Page took a short vacation in Egypt but was back in London by 12 May to collect (with the rest of the band) an Ivor Novello award for their "outstanding contribution to British music".

So there is the exact date of when he was in Egypt.

I just found in the "Rough Guide to Led Zeppelin" the answer to the Cairo question.

The quote:

"During the two-week break before the next leg, Page took a short vacation in Egypt but was back in London by 12 May to collect (with the rest of the band) an Ivor Novello award for their "outstanding contribution to British music".

Thank you!

I just found another quote in the Rough Guide pertaining to the loss of Karac.

"I haven't taken a drug since that day", Plant told Uncut in 2005.

Another passage from this book:

While some members of the entourage, including Zeppelin's attorney Steve Weiss, stayed in California to sort out the mess, on the day after the arrests, Robert Plant and others flew on to New Orleans. ( No mention of who stayed and who went.)

Also:

"Robert said: The perspective of that, losing one's child, is the bitterest pill to take".

"How am I ever going to deal with the next moment and put my shoulders back and be a man? I thought that I'd better refocus the whole deal".

The reunion (with the band) came after Grant eventually convened a band meeting at the end of April 1978 at London's Royal Garden Hotel. "That was after a long uphill battle to get him (Robert) to work again", Grant later recalled. "Robert kept saying he'd do it and then back down, but Bpnzo was a tower of strength..........So I suggested Clearwell (Castle), because Bad Company had been there. So Robert says hhe'd just like to do some jamming, so that's what they did."

Edited by BUCK'EYE' DOC

The quote:

I posted awhile ago in this thread that his trip was sometime between May 2-11 '77, and I deduced it knowing they were flown out of Detroit Metropolitan Airport around 1am on May 1st after the second Pontiac Silverdome concert to begin their break

and that Jimmy attended the Ivor Novello awards at the Grosvenor Hotel in London

on May 12. My notes show that John Bonham did not attend the event on May 12.

The reunion (with the band) came after Grant eventually convened a band meeting at the end of April 1978 at London's Royal Garden Hotel. "That was after a long uphill battle to get him (Robert) to work again", Grant later recalled. "Robert kept saying he'd do it and then back down, but Bonzo was a tower of strength..........So I suggested Clearwell (Castle), because Bad Company had been there. So Robert says he'd just like to do so jamming, so that's what they did."

Yes, group rehearsals there for a month (May '78); they only performed medleys and 'Carouselambra', which proves it was one of the first new songs written after the

tragedy.

I'm going to have to derail this thread again by one post because there are some pretty serious accusations to answer.

Let me make this very clear - I have NEVER PM'd anyone on this forum claiming to be a member of the band, and I only have ONE account here - in the name of Knebby.

Ok - carry on.

Thank you,Meg.

I think that these are exactly Jimmy's feelings to groupies.

Otherwise, who did he say about?

You know what? I never read the book, would never read the book.

Even if the stuff in it were true, why the heck would it be my business to know about it?

I posted awhile ago in this thread that his trip was sometime between May 2-11 '77, and I deduced it knowing they were flown out of Detroit Metropolitan Airport around 1am on May 1st after the second Pontiac Silverdome concert to begin their break

and that Jimmy attended the Ivor Novello awards at the Grosvenor Hotel in London

on May 12. My notes show that John Bonham did not attend the event on May 12.

Sorry Steve, I didn't see your post. My bad!

Or should her mother have been reining her in and not letting her stay all night with a man twice her age?

Maybe we shouldn't be too judgmental of Lori's mom - she was a struggling single mother trying to raise, IIRC, three daughters. Lori has said that her mother was overwhelmed with the more serious problems her sisters were having, being arrested for grand theft auto and things like that.

Maybe we shouldn't be too judgmental of Lori's mom - she was a struggling single mother trying to raise, IIRC, three daughters. Lori has said that her mother was overwhelmed with the more serious problems her sisters were having, being arrested for grand theft auto and things like that.

Oh come on, everyone knows that the moms in California are to blame for all of Led Zeppelin's poor choices.

I saw Lori with a baby in a buggy at a show in LA in about 1985 but I can't remember whether it was a Firm show or one of Robert's. I do remember being told (not by her) that the baby was Richie Blackmore's , but as I've never had a lot of interest in Lori I never followed up any enquiry into that and have absolutely no idea as to the possibilty of it being true.

I saw Lori with a baby in a buggy at a show in LA in about 1985 but I can't remember whether it was a Firm show or one of Robert's. I do remember being told (not by her) that the baby was Richie Blackmore's , but as I've never had a lot of interest in Lori I never followed up any enquiry into that and have absolutely no idea as to the possibilty of it being true.

...i guess she had no time for drummers

Edited by caroselambra~

They were booked into the San Francisco Hilton for the duration of their stay in the Bay Area. If JPJ went to Yosemite may well have been during the scheduled break between

the San Francisco and New Orleans shows (July 25th-29th '77), and thus accounting for

where he was in the aftermath of the tragedy.

Yes. Keeping in mind, this was before fax machines, cell phones, internet access, etc. Hard to track down a Winnebago in a National Park... :)

I really think (pure conjecture but seems common sense to me) that political soft shoeing had to be going on with cops, DAs, and Graham and company, too... who knew it sadly wouldn't be necessary for entirely different reasons.