Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

I made a statement in the muscle car thread that I seemed to remember John Bonham purchased vehicles on one of the band's trips to the U.S. I can't remember if it was during one of their tours or when they were here for the Swan Song launch. I don't have any more information other than what I remembered hearing at the time.

Questions:

1. When, where, and what did he purchase? (type, make, model, year)

2. I seem to recall Mr. Grant went with him to make the purchases. Is that true?

3. How large a collection did John have?

3. Are the vehicles still in the Bonham family?

Thanks.

I have at least one photo of John purchasing a car in Los Angeles, which he had

shipped to England. He was pulled over by the LAPD for speeding in the early '70s

in another car he had bought. I also have another photo of one of his roadsters.

I will post both photos here later unless someone else takes the initiative first.

Sadly, much of his auto collection was sold off over the years.

shipped to England. He was pulled over by the LAPD for speeding in the early '70s

in another car he had bought. I also have another photo of one of his roadsters.

I will post both photos here later unless someone else takes the initiative first.

Do you think he ever had a DUI? If not, that's pretty amazing considering all of the celebrity DUIs of late.

I sort of remember reading, or hearing, JPJ talking about this. He said something about the cops liking Bonzo so much they let him off. I don't quite remember the whole incident, perhaps you can enlighten.

Thanks for your response and that information, Steve. I would love to see the photos. I do remember the speeding incident. John was probably doing what any young guy with a new, fast car would have done - taking it to the limit.

Do you think he ever had a DUI? If not, that's pretty amazing considering all of the celebrity DUIs of late.

I never heard of a DUI, at least not here in the U.S. I don't think that any of the Zep guys were ever busted for anything when they were in the U.S. But, I'm not an authority; someone else might have other information.

I sort of remember reading, or hearing, JPJ talking about this. He said something about the cops liking Bonzo so much they let him off. I don't quite remember the whole incident, perhaps you can enlighten.

I heard that too! :)

Steve-the traveler of both time and space,

You're an amazing fount of knowledge in regards to Led Zeppelin.I apologize in advance if my question doesn't fit your thread. Anyway...

I saw Plant on the Manic Nirvana tour at Alabama Birmingham campus 10-25-90.Plant was sporting a Jimmy Page t-shirt during his set.

Was there a particular significance to this? The date? Did Plant do this at other venues? Did he visit a local headshop and like what he saw...?

Also... a food fight ensued on stage midway through his set. Plant was pummeled with vegetables.

Can you guess/do you know the reason behind the food fight?

I'll give the details later if you don't already know them.

I made a statement in the muscle car thread that I seemed to remember John Bonham purchased vehicles on one of the band's trips to the U.S. I can't remember if it was during one of their tours or when they were here for the Swan Song launch. I don't have any more information other than what I remembered hearing at the time.

Questions:

1. When, where, and what did he purchase? (type, make, model, year)

2. I seem to recall Mr. Grant went with him to make the purchases. Is that true?

3. How large a collection did John have?

3. Are the vehicles still in the Bonham family?

Thanks.

I believe it was a Trans-Am where Bonzo was pulled over for speeding 90 MPH in L.A.

I also recall a story that Jason told about his father buying a Rolls-Royce for cash and driving it thru the dealership's glass window.

Here's a photo of part of his collection.

BONZOGARAGE-1.jpg

I believe it was a Trans-Am where Bonzo was pulled over for speeding 90 MPH in L.A.

I also recall a story that Jason told about his father buying a Rolls-Royce for cash and driving it thru the dealership's glass window.

Thanks, Frank. That's one of the photos I intended to post. That was taken in Los Angeles, in 1969 if I remember right.

The story about the Rolls Royce is essentially true. The reason for his aggressive

stance was because the dealer was acting very condescending towards him as

he looked it over. When he opened the door to sit behind the wheel the dealer

said to him "Dear, Sir", meaning you can't possibly afford it. John did purchase

the car after telling the dealer to have the paint resprayed and "don't talk like

that to me again".

Another great Bonzo car story goes back to when he lived in a modest home in

West Hagley, before he purchased his farm. He was washing his Rolls in his drive.

A neighbor walking past saw this and stood transfixed with bemusement. When

John looked over at him the man snickered and said "Well, I've never seen a

man wash his own Rolls before". John reared back and kicked the car, then

shouted to the man something like "Bet you'd never seen a man kick his own Rolls either, now sod off!"

Steve-the traveler of both time and space,

I saw Plant on the Manic Nirvana tour at Alabama Birmingham campus 10-25-90.Plant was sporting a Jimmy Page t-shirt during his set.

Was there a particular significance to this? The date? Did Plant do this at other venues? Did he visit a local headshop and like what he saw...?

Also... a food fight ensued on stage midway through his set. Plant was pummeled with vegetables.

Can you guess/do you know the reason behind the food fight?

There's no particular significance to his wearing of the Jimmy Page Led Zeppelin t-shirt.

He wore the same shirt on several of the other dates during that last leg of the USA

tour. The Led Zeppelin Boxed Set had been released that Autumn and I believe that

shirt was also recently released to coincide with it. I believe the shirt was licensed

thru Winterland Productions. My point is it was not a bootleg or fan-made shirt.

I've never heard anything concerning a food fight in Birmingham, Alabama. Please share

your story with the board or email me privately thru my profile page. Thanks!

BONZOGARAGE-1.jpg

Had Bonzo lived maybe he'd have been the UK equivalent of Jay Leno with a veritable private museum.

I don't know if this is a mystery or not, but I was reading this thread earlier and I've enjoyed it thus far...

My mystery may not be one at all, but I was just wondering..

Steve (or anyone, really): Do you know when/how the Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary reunion came about? Were they asked to do a set or had they been rehearsing beforehand? How long had they rehearsed before the show? When did they choose Jason? Was he 1st pick? How did they all feel about the performance?

Personally I hold this set high on my list of live recordings solely because it was my introduction to Led Zeppelin live. I found a tape in my dad's collection labeled "ATL REC 40th Anniv - Led Zep Reunion." I had just recently gotten into them, so I played the tape and really enjoyed it... I still think the performance is awesome and better than Live Aid for sure... I remember hearing Plant's band introductions the first time and thinking, "who the hell is 'Jason Barnum' and why did he replace John Bonham?" :lol: that was during my ignorant times of course...

Any details on the conception/discussion of this particular reunion would be very cool to see/read and I give thanks in advance for any and all answers provided...

There's no particular significance to his wearing of the Jimmy Page Led Zeppelin t-shirt.

He wore the same shirt on several of the other dates during that last leg of the USA

tour. The Led Zeppelin Boxed Set had been released that Autumn and I believe that

shirt was also recently released to coincide with it. I believe the shirt was licensed

thru Winterland Productions. My point is it was not a bootleg or fan-made shirt.

I've never heard anything concerning a food fight in Birmingham, Alabama. Please share

your story with the board or email me privately thru my profile page. Thanks!

Here's the story:

The Black Crowes were the opening act for Plant at UAB.During their set, a robed and hooded figure slowly walked across the front of the stage...with a bicycle horn in his hands. The kind that looks like a miniature trumpet with a rubber orb on the end.

The figure would walk a few steps, face the band, then toot the horn.

By now you know the robed figure was Plant.

When Plant got to Chris Robinson, Robinson looked totally befuddled! Like where is Allan Funt? Robinson kept singing though, and pretty much kept his cool, though you could tell this blew his mind.

The figure turned and slowly walked off stage.

It was a general admission concert, so during the break I made it to about 20' from the stage.

During Plants set, members of The Black Crowes returned the highjinks by coming on stage and heaving vegetables from the backstage spread.

Plant didn't miss a lick during this, although he was dodging and ducking the objects being directed at him.

It was a pretty damn funny episode and of course, the concert was great.

Any details on the conception/discussion of this particular reunion would be very cool to see/read and I give thanks in advance for any and all answers provided...

Atlantic Records' 40th Annivesary Concert - "It's Only Rock n' Roll"

Madison Square Garden

New York, New York

Saturday, May 14th 1988

This concert was arranged to promote Atlantic Records' 40th Anniversary. Atlantic was of course a New York-based record label. Several stars from the history of the label were booked to perform. The American press began reporting rumors of a possible Led

Zeppelin reunion with Jason Bonham on drums the week prior.

Jimmy, John Paul Jones & Jason rehearsed 15 to 20 songs at Nomis Studio in London

during the last couple weeks leading up to the event. Robert was touring the USA.

Jimmy arrived in NYC on May 11th. He immediately checked in to his hotel and never

left his room with the exception of the rehearsals which were held later that day and

the next.

In the early morning hours of Thu, May 12th, Robert departed from Monroe County Airport in Rochester, NY and arrived at Teterboro Airport near New York City. Upon

arrival he checked in to the Essex Hotel at 160 Central Park South. He joined the other three for rehearsals on that day and they rehearsed and held a soundcheck on Friday.

A final rehearsal was held the day of the show. Everyone agreed they sounded simply magnificent. Even so, Jimmy's nerves were fragile, having not performed in front of a live audience for quite some time. Robert performed a set as a solo artist with his band early in the evening and told the HBO pay-per-view audience "...I'll be back" during his backstage interview with host Richard Townsend.

Jimmy got to the venue later that evening, expecting to plug in and play. Unfortunately,

the event had seriously overun it's scheduled timing, and Led Zeppelin waited for many

hours before taking the stage.

The tale of the tape: Watch JPJ's look of concern melt into a grin as Jimmy finds his

fingers during the Heartbreaker solo. Watch Jimmy nervously shuffle his legs while

waiting for Robert to introduce Misty Mountain Hop. See the smiles all around at the

end, which seemed to come just as they'd shaken off the nerves and found a groove.

The aftermath: As to be expected, emotion overruled reality for some time. The fans

raved that it was triumphant and stunning. The critics loved it. Disappointment began

to set in when Jimmy watched the playback of the video and heard how abominable

the audio feed was. "He should be strung up by the balls" he said, concerning the man

responsible.

If time permits I'll try to post some photos from this event in the photo forum within

the next couple days.

Edited by SteveAJones

Thanks, Frank. That's one of the photos I intended to post. That was taken in Los Angeles, in 1969 if I remember right.

The story about the Rolls Royce is essentially true. The reason for his aggressive

stance was because the dealer was acting very condescending towards him as

he looked it over. When he opened the door to sit behind the wheel the dealer

said to him "Dear, Sir", meaning you can't possibly afford it. John did purchase

the car after telling the dealer to have the paint resprayed and "don't talk like

that to me again".

Another great Bonzo car story goes back to when he lived in a modest home in

West Hagley, before he purchased his farm. He was washing his Rolls in his drive.

A neighbor walking past saw this and stood transfixed with bemusement. When

John looked over at him the man snickered and said "Well, I've never seen a

man wash his own Rolls before". John reared back and kicked the car, then

shouted to the man something like "Bet you'd never seen a man kick his own Rolls either, now sod off!"

You're welcome,Steve. Interesting story too.Classic Bonham.

I'd love to see a whole photo spread of John and his vehicles. I wonder how many he had over the years.

I'd certainly love to see more of the type shown above; John at home with his car collecton.

Is that the same Rolls-Royce that he drove to someone's wedding and some people trashed it?

Atlantic Records' 40th Annivesary Concert - "It's Only Rock n' Roll"

Madison Square Garden

New York, New York

Saturday, May 14th 1988

This concert was arranged to promote Atlantic Records' 40th Anniversary. Atlantic was of course a New York-based record label. Several stars from the history of the label were booked to perform. The American press began reporting rumors of a possible Led

Zeppelin reunion with Jason Bonham on drums the week prior.

Jimmy, John Paul Jones & Jason rehearsed 15 to 20 songs at Nomis Studio in London

during the last couple weeks leading up to the event. Robert was touring the USA.

Jimmy arrived in NYC on May 11th. He immediately checked in to his hotel and never

left his room with the exception of the rehearsals which were held later that day and

the next.

In the early morning hours of Thu, May 12th, Robert departed from Monroe County Airport in Rochester, NY and arrived at Teterboro Airport near New York City. Upon

arrival he checked in to the Essex Hotel at 160 Central Park South. He joined the other three for rehearsals on that day and they rehearsed and held a soundcheck on Friday.

A final rehearsal was held the day of the show. Everyone agreed they sounded simply magnificent. Even so, Jimmy's nerves were fragile, having not performed in front of a live audience for quite some time. Robert performed a set as a solo artist with his band early in the evening and told the HBO pay-per-view audience "...I'll be back" during his backstage interview with host Richard Townsend.

Jimmy got to the venue later that evening, expecting to plug in and play. Unfortunately,

the event had seriously overun it's scheduled timing, and Led Zeppelin waited for many

hours before taking the stage.

The tale of the tape: Watch JPJ's look of concern melt into a grin as Jimmy finds his

fingers during the Heartbreaker solo. Watch Jimmy nervously shuffle his legs while

waiting for Robert to introduce Misty Mountain Hop. See the smiles all around at the

end, which seemed to come just as they'd shaken off the nerves and found a groove.

The aftermath: As to be expected, emotion overruled reality for some time. The fans

raved that it was triumphant and stunning. The critics loved it. Disappointment began

to set in when Jimmy watched the playback of the video and heard how abominable

the audio feed was. "He should be strung up by the balls" he said, concerning the man

responsible.

If time permits I'll try to post some photos from this event in the photo forum within

the next couple days.

Steve, thanks for sharing the info on this! I remembered watching this on HBO and I also videotaped it since my older brother and I were excited to see Zeppelin perform. I remembered Jimmy's guitar was a bit out of tune during Kashmir though, but yes, he was certainly nervous! Wish I still had the videotape. That was a good show from the other acts as well.

Steve, thanks for sharing the info on this! I remembered watching this on HBO and I also videotaped it since my older brother and I were excited to see Zeppelin perform. I remembered Jimmy's guitar was a bit out of tune during Kashmir though, but yes, he was certainly nervous! Wish I still had the videotape. That was a good show from the other acts as well.

It was a great show indeed :D Got to experience a lot of performers I'd never seen before but I'd be kidding if I didn't say I was impatiently waiting for Robert's performance and Zep's :blush:

Hey everyone, I've been having some trouble with this, and recieved some advise to pm Steve. I have my own thread in the master forum with the same title. but now this looks like a good place to request some info on my own mystery. Here's my original post:

Hey guys, I need some help. Sometime around (I think) the release date of Dazed and Confused, the Hit Parader had an article using a wrong name for the song. Being that the song, and even the band, were new, I guess the journalist just wrote what he heard in the song. In big letters, the article was titled: "Days of Confused," an honest mistake I guess. My problem is, I can't find it ANYWHERE, and I need it to show to my dad, it's not often that I find something for us to talk about, and I never have anything to give him. Does anyone have any info on it? What I'd reaaaally like is either a link to view the article, or even better (and I know alot of you still have the Hit Parader I'm talking about), a high resolution scanned image of the article, including any pictures, that I can blow up for him. I know it might be a little bit of work, but I know he would really appreciate it, and I don't know how many years I have left with the guy. Please, and thank-you, thank-you, thank-you to anyone who can offer even a little help. There's access to my e-mail through my profile here for sending any files, or I'll keep checking back here for a response. Thanks again!

So, for mystery's sake, what was the issue number or date of the article, and what was the name of the journalist? Thanks to all!

Hey everyone, I've been having some trouble with this, and recieved some advise to pm Steve. I have my own thread in the master forum with the same title. but now this looks like a good place to request some info on my own mystery.

My response to the inquiry was that a search of over 7,000 articles in my database has

turned up no match to the article allegedly published.