Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

I'd guess it was either 'Music Life', 'Ongaku Senka' or 'Rockin' On' but I don't know.

Yes,you would know well!!

Jimmy received the two interviews of 'Music Life' and 'Rocking On' in May 1982.

In 'Music Life', a middle aged female interviewer went to the Swan Song office,and she wrote that

'Jimmy lives in London suburbs and he came to office to receive this interview with his wife Charlotte'.

In 'Rocking On' it was a phone interview.

Both of them, the contents of interviews had been permitted only about the sound track album 'Death Wish 2'.

I'm sure a lot of Japanese Zep fans remember those magazines.

Led Zeppelin had(has) so many fans in Japan and we were looking forward to Jimmy's revival.

Yes,you would know well!!

Jimmy received the two interviews of 'Music Life' and 'Rocking On' in May 1982.

In 'Music Life', a middle aged female interviewer went to the Swan Song office,and she wrote that 'Jimmy lives in London suburbs and he came to office to receive this interview with his wife Charlotte'. In 'Rocking On' it was a phone interview.

Both of them, the contents of interviews had been permitted only about the sound track album 'Death Wish 2'. I'm sure a lot of Japanese Zep fans remember those magazines. Led Zeppelin had(has) so many fans in Japan and we were looking forward to Jimmy's revival.

Thanks for the details. I've added them both to my want list.

Thanks for the details. I've added them both to my want list.

Hi Steve, how are you doing?... I wanna ask something: The rumors of "Led Zeppelin will do a tour, with out Robert Plant...", again, are true this time or is the same b*** than last time?

I ask you this because im not reading any LZ new since a while (months) ago...

Hi Steve, how are you doing?... I wanna ask something: The rumors of "Led Zeppelin will do a tour, with out Robert Plant...", again, are true this time or is the same b*** than last time?

I ask you this because im not reading any LZ new since a while (months) ago...

Jimmy, JPJ and Jason do intend to record new material and tour together in 2009. Robert is not participating in it whatsoever, and it will not be called Led Zeppelin.

Jimmy, JPJ and Jason do intend to record new material and tour together in 2009. Robert is not participating in it whatsoever, and it will not be called Led Zeppelin.

That sums it up nicely. Now it would be good if we could get away from these speculative threads, until we hear something first hand.

Unfortunately those speculative threads have been around for sometime. Maybe Sam could create a "Rumours" thread and simply move over all those "Who is going to be the new singer?" posts to there. Would possibly reduce the clutter on the main forums.

Meg

That sums it up nicely. Now it would be good if we could get away from these speculative threads, until we hear something first hand.

Unfortunately those speculative threads have been around for sometime. Maybe Sam could create a "Rumours" thread and simply move over all those "Who is going to be the new singer?" posts to there. Would possibly reduce the clutter on the main forums.

Meg

Great idea. That's what I was thinking. It could only help by cleaning up a lot of the trash on this forum. Unfortunately, I also read those threads and respond as well. So maybe I could be part of the problem as well. But I'm not as speculative as some.

Great idea. That's what I was thinking. It could only help by cleaning up a lot of the trash on this forum. Unfortunately, I also read those threads and respond as well. So maybe I could be part of the problem as well. But I'm not as speculative as some.

How about a thread called "Rumours 1980-Present" everyone could take part, Part of the fun of being a Led Zeppelin fan are the rumours...sense of humour required.

Steve, can you tell me a little bit about the scheduling in 1975?

Especially around May to June?

thanks,

Judy

The official timeline covers all the concert performances in great detail. Is there a specific event your interested in? Insofar as May to June, I can add this:

On 5/7/75 Jimmy & Robert attended the opening night of Bad Company's 1975 North American Tour. Maggie Bell was the support act, and both were on the Swan Song

label.

Jimmy joined Robert in Morocco three weeks after the last Earls Court date (May);

they attended several nights of the Moroccan Festival of Folklore. They attempted to drive to Tafia from Marrakesh but were turned back by Spanish border patrols so they

returned northbound from the Spanish Sahara up through Casablanca and Tangier.

Having completed their journey, they joined the rest of the band in Montreaux at

their tax-exile location - Montreux Jazz Festival founder Claude Nobs home!

Swan Song closed in 1983. Peter Grant said, "By 1982 I just wasn't up to it. Mentally and everything. I'd just had enough. I did negotiate Robert's five album solo deal. Shook hands with him on that".
Had all the other artists left before then, and when did the Kings Road office close? the last release was Pictures At Eleven?

They were booked into the San Francisco Hilton for the duration of their stay in the Bay Area. If JPJ went to Yosemite may well have been during the scheduled break between

the San Francisco and New Orleans shows (July 25th-29th '77), and thus accounting for

where he was in the aftermath of the tragedy.

In fact I had a motorhome booked, which was parked in the street outside. I was going to drive my family up to Seattle for a few nights. Suddenly there were sirens wailing and police zooming through the hotel lobby. Me and my family got into the service elevator, went down to the street and jumped into this motorhome, which I had never driven before. I just headed for the freeway. We snuck out the back, so I didn't get arrested!

We were already packed and ready to go when the police arrived. In fact I had no idea what it was all about at that time. I think they sent the Highway Patrol looking out for us. But we were heading up to Oregon. After a couple of days holiday I called in and they told me what happened. It was one of those things. The security guys get bored at these gigs and somebody took offence at something.

I seem to remember that 'Bill Graham never forgave us' but I don't remember Bill Graham ever being a huge, close buddy of Led Zeppelin. I always thought he was weird. He never spoke to me. The first time we turned up at the Fillmore I remember him just screaming and shouting at everybody. He was quite an unpleasant person. I remember saying, 'Oh, who's that?' 'Oh, that's Bill Graham'.

-- John Paul Jones

Jimmy was in Egypt and couldn't get there and Peter was out at Long Island with his kids. John Paul Jones had already arranged a holiday with his wife. When John Paul Jones went on holiday I was the only person he'd give his phone number to, which drove Peter mad. I couldn't reach him because he was traveling in a hired camper van, and so we had no way of reaching him. The instructions were not to disturb him unless it was an emergency. Robert was very hurt about it.

--Richard Cole

Ok, without reiterating the finer details of my previous posts on this subject suffice to say I still believe Jimmy stayed in California, and Richard has simply misplaced the four day trip Jimmy took to Egypt in May into the last week of July '77.

Jimmy's soundtrack for the film Death Wish II was released on Swan Song in 1982, the year after Robert's 'Pictures at Eleven' solo album was released on Swan Song. Sorry,

I do not have the exact date the Swan Song offices were closed. Peter said "1983".

The building is still there today at 484 Kings Road in Chelsea. They occupied the top

two floors in the center of the building. Jimmy was once photographed for the cover

of a UK magazine in the gardens out back. The Worlds End pub is directly across the

street. You may have seen the photo of Jimmy on a motorbike?

http://damselworld.com/pd_jimmy_page.cfm

It was taken alongside the very same Worlds End pub.

Edited by SteveAJones

Wikipedia says that Swan Song closed down in October 1983. The final album release was the self-titled debut from Simon Kirke's Wildlife, in April 1983. The final 45 was Wildlife's "Somewhere In The Night" -- supposedly it was released in September, but that seems quite odd for a 45 to show up 5 months after the album.

The Principle Of Moments was released on Es Paranza (Robert's own label, which Peter Grant helped set up) in June of 1983. So I would imagine that Swan Song started winding down operations sometime between April and June.

Agreed...

A good mystery, with a bit less weirdness, and perhaps a different shade of lavender, would be nice.

Granted, some mysteries should remain just that, and don't belong in this thread.

...it may also take my mind off the fact , someone appears to be slipping into insanity before my very eyes :unsure:

Edited by caroselambra~

The following is found on robertplant.com - click on Strange Sensations on the left and then on Robert Plant under the header More Articles:

"In 1966 Plant left home, left college, left work and turned professional. In 1967 he cut 6 sides for CBS, formed the Band of Joy with John Bonham and created two working partnerships, first with Terry Reid; the two became friends playing on the progressive music circuit of the mid-60’s; and secondly as harmonica player and co-vocalist on various Alexis Korner ventures..."

I've seen examples of the 2nd partnership... anything known of the 1st? I.e. anything tangible besides recollections? Did it even exist?

Alright, I have sat on the sidelines too long to not participate. :)

Two mystery questions, totally unrelated:

The concert in Iceland: June 22, 1970. Transitional show between Phoenix, Arizona in April that year and Bath six days after Iceland. Between the DVD footage, and the posted 1970 Plant interview in what appears to be his hotel room, as well as the Plant interview when he was there a couple of years ago, for the first time since his 1970 Zeppelin visit, do we have any indication what the 1970 set list was for this show, besides Dazed? The 1970 Interviewer asked Plant if they would perform any new songs, and he said maybe. Then, on the recent Plant trip and interview, he said he wrote the lyrics to Immigrant Song while in Iceland (meaning, the May 1970 Island Sessions didn't produce this number, I guess. Maybe they recorded it after Bath, before/after the German tour). Given that they opened with Groove in Phoenix, then opened with Immigrant at Bath, I wonder if they opened with Immigrant in Iceland, and if the set list leaned more towards the Bath set list than Phoenix set list?

You recently posted a thread about Jimmy throwing Charlotte a birthday party on 9/20/80, and it got me thinking about Bonham's last days. Any documantation of what he did in August and September, after the European Tour and before his untimely departure? Go on Holiday in August somewhere? Did he go to Charlotte's Birthday party on 9/20 (were Plant and Jones invited)? Were there any photos taken at the 9/24 rehearsal? Last Bonham published photos taken? What Zep songs did they rehearse on 9/24 before calling it an early night?

Thanks Steve! Really enjoy this thread and your excellent knowledge and insight!

The following is found on robertplant.com - click on Strange Sensations on the left and then on Robert Plant under the header More Articles:

"In 1966 Plant left home, left college, left work and turned professional. In 1967 he cut 6 sides for CBS, formed the Band of Joy with John Bonham and created two working partnerships, first with Terry Reid; the two became friends playing on the progressive music circuit of the mid-60’s; and secondly as harmonica player and co-vocalist on various Alexis Korner ventures..."

I've seen examples of the 2nd partnership... anything known of the 1st? I.e. anything tangible besides recollections? Did it even exist?

I'll help Steve out as he is obviously distraught over some simple math problems...

Plant did indeed cut 6 singles under his contract with CBS.

Listen (CBS 1966)

You Better Run / Everybody's Gonna Say 202456

Robert Plant (CBS 1967)

Our Song / Laughing Crying Laughing 202656

Long Time Coming / I've Got A Secret 2858

As a matter of fact it was his CBS contract that kept his name from appearing on any song credits on Led Zeppelin.

All have been making rounds on various boot compilations for years and You Better Run and Our Song were released on RP's 66 To Timbuktu.

Here have a Listen heh heh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M95meaxKnMY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7kHGjwTpaw...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE3IIiOiJdk...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFqO5vPtfsI...feature=related

Edited by Nech