Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Not sure whether or not this has been discussed but I was watching TSRTS again recently and noticed that Robert's teeth are quiet 'different' to what we see in 1975 and then on... Apart from vocal surgery in 1974, which we know of, can anyone confirm that Robert had some dental work done also???

Have never seen confirmation of a date for this, but 1974 seems plausible. There is no

question some work was done somewhere along the line. I believe the magazine gallery of this site includes that Zig Zag cover (circa '73) he shared with Roger Daltrey which

shows he was missing a tooth on the upper right side.

hello i believe it was '75 when the work was done.

but i dont know any more details than that nor did i want to know.

he looked as good to me as when he had rotting teeth then missing teeth as he does with dental done. :P;)

In July 1990, Robert had just arrived for the second leg of the tour when he confided he had cracked his tooth on an Indonesean meatball.

In July 2005, Robert was on tour in San Francisco, dining at the Kokkari Restaurant (at 200 Jackson Street). He popped one of his dental crowns while eating and was referred to co-owner Kenny Frangadakis who had a dentist office in Cupertino. Kenny referred Robert to dentist Dr. Michael Fox's office (at 500 Spruce Street - Room 208) as it was much closer than his. Robert chatted with a fan while waiting to have his dental work done.

Too much information? Probably.

Edited by SteveAJones

In July 1990, Robert had just arrived for the second leg of the tour when he cracked his tooth on an Indian meatball while dining at Nirvana, one of his all-time favorite places to eat (located in New York City).

In July 2005, Robert was on tour in San Francisco, dining at the Kokkari Restaurant (at 200 Jackson Street). He popped one of his dental crowns while eating and was referred to co-owner Kenny Frangadakis who had a dentist office in Cupertino. Kenny referred Robert to dentist Dr. Michael Fox's office (at 500 Spruce Street - Room 208) as it was much closer than his. Robert chatted with a fan while waiting to have his dental work done.

Well, given that I've spent the past five minutes wondering how you crack your tooth on a meatball (an area my imagination should have stayed out of), maybe so. :unsure:

May be, but I don't care. I always enjoy reading your posts, as they're so informative and unbiased for the most part. :coffee:

It's a fun thing to do, and you can call it a hobby - collecting all those little bits of information scattered in million places... done it myself, with regards to a handful of artists I was obsessed with over the years... in one case ended up with a private email, given to me by - guess who? - the artist himself, and the craziest thing is that I didn't even ask for it! (To this day I haven't shared this precious and privileged piece of information with a single living soul - I respect his privacy too much... so much that I'd rather not even mention his name :bagoverhead:)

I enjoy consuming unholy amounts of information on the artists I'm in love with. To me there's never such thing as TMI. I treasure those little silly details because they make our heroes warmer and closer, flesh them out - they're human after all! And even more lovable that way.

Umm, I guess I meant to say no, not TMI, and thank you for this thread. Well, I just did, but in so many more words... :blahblah::blush:

Well, given that I've spent the past five minutes wondering how you crack your tooth on a meatball (an area my imagination should have stayed out of), maybe so. :unsure:

Robert Plant

Stops Being Polite,

"I'm Not Such An Old Hippie"

By Charles M. Young

Musician June 1990

Three years off cigarettes, a few weeks off caffeine, four hours off the Concorde from London, Robert Plant settles down in a tightly packed armchair in his New York hotel suite with only a pot of room service decaf to stimulate the interview process.

"I just lost a tooth," he says, fingering a well-capped incisor, the bags under his eyes radiating the imminent onset of jet lag. "I bit on an Indonesian meatball and it cracked-the tooth, not the meatball-and it didn't actually fall out until I was doing this live interview on television in Amsterdam. Did you ever try to talk while holding a tooth in with the tip of your tongue? I sounded like one of the Goons from the BBC. Then we mimed a song and I wore these black gloves that I waved mysteriously in front of my mouth. Made it even more deep and meaningless. Made it peculiar, deep and meaningless. I always thought I'd lose it to some young lady delivering a fast uppercut, which happened once. Who would have guessed an Indonesian meatball? Ah well, it's only right that people who have been around as long as I have should occasionally fall apart a little bit".

----------------

I've edited my original post to retract this having happened at Nirvana...it happened

while promoting Manic Nirvana :)

I enjoy consuming unholy amounts of information on the artists I'm in love with. To me there's never such thing as TMI. I treasure those little silly details because they make our heroes warmer and closer, flesh them out - they're human after all! And even more lovable that way.

Agreed. It fuels the imagination and can sometimes be quite revealing, if not funny.

In July 2005, Robert was on tour in San Francisco, dining at the Kokkari Restaurant (at 200 Jackson Street). He popped one of his dental crowns while eating and was referred to co-owner Kenny Frangadakis who had a dentist office in Cupertino.

That's a little suspicious - a dentist co-owning a restaurant that sells food that damages people's teeth.....

Steve, I love watching any video/film clips (and parts/whole shows) available out there. What is supposedly being "hoarded" video/film-wise? I love hearing the rumors, etc. on this stuff.

P.S. No offense to the "hoarders" out there. It's just the term I heard being used on here. :D

Edited by Wolfman

Agreed. It fuels the imagination and can sometimes be quite revealing, if not funny.

Funny? Oh, Steve, you just inspired me (beware!) to start a new thread. Wait, no, actually two threads. One on LZ and one on "other bands/artists" - though the one on LZ might already exist somewhere... need to check... gawd, I need to stop drinking and go to bed. Though in my defense, I still can type...right? :drunk:

Robert Plant

Stops Being Polite,

By Charles M. Young

Musician June 1990

Three years off cigarettes, a few weeks off caffeine, four hours off the Concorde from London, Robert Plant settles down in a tightly packed armchair in his New York hotel suite with only a pot of room service decaf to stimulate the interview process.

"I just lost a tooth," he says, fingering a well-capped incisor, the bags under his eyes radiating the imminent onset of jet lag. "I bit on an Indonesian meatball and it cracked-the tooth, not the meatball-and it didn't actually fall out until I was doing this live interview on television in Amsterdam. Did you ever try to talk while holding a tooth in with the tip of your tongue? I sounded like one of the Goons from the BBC. Then we mimed a song and I wore these black gloves that I waved mysteriously in front of my mouth. Made it even more deep and meaningless. Made it peculiar, deep and meaningless. I always thought I'd lose it to some young lady delivering a fast uppercut, which happened once. Who would have guessed an Indonesian meatball? Ah well, it's only right that people who have been around as long as I have should occasionally fall apart a little bit".

----------------

I've edited my original post to retract this having happened at Nirvana...it happened

You guys are right, this is interesting. I would like to know the Who, What, When and Where of this incident. :)

Robert Plant

Stops Being Polite,

By Charles M. Young

Musician June 1990

----------------

It's maybe the young lady eventually prepared that meatball :D

Thanks for that lil anecdote SAJ!

And for this thread.

Robert Plant

Stops Being Polite,

By Charles M. Young

Musician June 1990

----------------

:lol:Thank you, Steve.

Steve, I love watching any video/film clips (and parts/whole shows) available out there. What is supposedly being "hoarded" video/film-wise? I love hearing the rumors, etc. on this stuff.

Having had time to give this some consideration, as well as make specific inquiries, I'm

surprised to find there does not seem to be any confirmed video/film clips "hoarded"

in private collections. There are two videos "rumoured to exist": Tokyo (9/24/71) & Houston (5/21/77). We can be fairly certain additional Reykjavik, Iceland (6/22/70) footage exists (or existed), as well as on and offstage footage filmed by promoter Bill Graham and journalist Chris Welch. Finally, there allegedly exists b&w backstage video

of Led Zeppelin & The Who in Baltimore (7/11/69).

Having had time to give this some consideration, as well as make specific inquiries, I'm

surprised to find there does not seem to be any confirmed video/film clips "hoarded"

in private collections. There are two videos "rumoured to exist": Tokyo (9/24/71) & Houston (5/21/77). We can be fairly certain additional Reykjavik, Iceland (6/22/70) footage exists (or existed), as well as on and offstage footage filmed by promoter Bill Graham and journalist Chris Welch. Finally, there allegedly exists b&w backstage video

I have seen video of The Who and Zeppelin backstage, however, I am pretty certain it was Columbia, MD on 1969.05.25. Now I need to find it or remember where I saw it.

I have seen video of The Who and Zeppelin backstage, however, I am pretty certain it was Columbia, MD on 1969.05.25. Now I need to find it or remember where I saw it.

There was a clip on Youtube under " The Nobs "

Yes, I believe you are correct on the date and location. My mistake. If you have seen it then that suggests it is not hoarded...and would certainly confirm it does exist.

"I bit on an Indonesian meatball and it cracked-the tooth, not the meatball-and it didn't actually fall out until I was doing this live interview on television in Amsterdam. Did you ever try to talk while holding a tooth in with the tip of your tongue? I sounded like one of the Goons from the BBC. Then we mimed a song and I wore these black gloves that I waved mysteriously in front of my mouth. Made it even more deep and meaningless. Made it peculiar, deep and meaningless."

Funny. When Plant was writing songs for Manic Nirvana, he told one of his collaborators, "Make the lyrics deep and meaningless -- like the old Zeppelin lyrics".

Thanks Steve. What about the Bath stuff? Doesn't some company in LA own the footage but Jimmy didn't want to pay what they were asking?