Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

OK, here is one that may have been asked before, but can we get a timeline of when each member had a beard? I've started seeing a bunch of photos of them having beards and it looks like the pattern was them growing beards between tours and keeping them on during the initial european gigs and getting rid of them when they hit the states.

Also, I'd like to know the origin of Jimmy's Zoso sweater vest and a listing of gigs he wore it :)

I'm sure we can come up with something. I know Jimmy shaved his beard off in-between

dates on the '72 Australia tour. I can come up with additional details.

Insofar as the Zoso sweater, I've always believed it was given to him as a gift, because it fits him very snugly. If he had been the one to have it tailor-made I presume it would have fit better. I seem to recall it was worn in Copenhagen '71, among others, but a definitive listing may be impossible given no photographic evidence exists for many gigs.

OK, here is one that may have been asked before, but can we get a timeline of when each member had a beard? I've started seeing a bunch of photos of them having beards and it looks like the pattern was them growing beards between tours and keeping them on during the initial european gigs and getting rid of them when they hit the states.

Also, I'd like to know the origin of Jimmy's Zoso sweater vest and a listing of gigs he wore it :)

Jimmy grew a beard only once, while staying at Bron Yr Aur in May of 1970. He shaved it off just before the gig in Sydney, February 27, 1972.

Robert also grew a beard at Bron Yr Aur, but shaved it off in the summer of 1971, at some point after the disastrous concert in Milan in July.

Details on Jonesy and Bonzo later. B)

Jimmy wore the sweater west at many gigs, in Copenhagen, Milan, at Wembley Empire Pool, etc.

Jimmy has been known to trap his finger in the doors of trains, fall over and break fingers. But ten years or so ago he was admitted to hospital for a stomach operation, I never read anymore about it, but was wondering what it was, maybe appendicitis?

a very fair point kb! can i retract my earlier post? then again your reply does also raise the question of when he got hs teeth fixed?

er? i did try to enable a smiley on my last post, but it didnt work. i was joking..

Jimmy has been known to trap his finger in the doors of trains, fall over and break fingers. But ten years or so ago he was admitted to hospital for a stomach operation, I never read anymore about it, but was wondering what it was, maybe appendicitis?

No, it was a twisted colon and the surgery was done the third week of August '88. This

caused four dates of his tour starting the following month to be affected.

if we're getting into jimmy's past medical operations; didnt he have some work done on his knee as well? any others?

Back injury on 8/13/00 requiring constant therapy thru March 2001 (perhaps longer).

Insurance considerations stemming from cancellation of the ZoCrowes tour necessited he not make any public performances for six months.

Slower than anticipated recovery from knee surgery in May/Jun 2006 cited as the reason for cancellation of pre-announced jam with Robert Plant at Ahmet Ertegun tribute in Montreux (6/29/06) and cancellation of a pre-announced performance of songs from Harper's album 'Stormcock' with Roy Harper in Clapham, England (8/5/06).

Clearly has had dental ('90s) and eye work ('00s) done along the way. He looks good!

Clearly has had dental ('90s) and eye work ('00s) done along the way. He looks good!

He certainly does. He hasn't looked this good in years. Now hopefully he can get inspired and have the motivation to bring us some new material in whatever form and with whomever he choses.

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

No, it was a twisted colon and the surgery was done the third week of August '88. This

caused four dates of his tour starting the following month to be affected.

A friend of mine had the same, and it very was painful :blink:

a very fair point kb! can i retract my earlier post? then again your reply does also raise the question of when he got hs teeth fixed?

It's my opinion that he has dentures. In interviews he's fiddling with them with his tongue and lips the way senior citizens often do. So I don't think he has implants or caps. I think they are dentures.

It's my opinion that he has dentures. In interviews he's fiddling with them with his tongue and lips the way senior citizens often do. So I don't think he has implants or caps. I think they are dentures.

I would think they're veneers.

And anyway, I don't like to visualize the image of Jimmy, the Guitar God, putting his teeth into a glass by his bed each night :lol:

Well its mis-informed anyway as their UK debut was at Newcastle Mayfair on October 8th. They were billed locally as "The Yardbirds" though (not "New" ), and that's what was on the ticket.

Ah, I really miss the Mayfair. A wonderful venue - I'm sure a pair of my shoes were still stuck to the floor when it was closed. :D

Here's a couple interesting questions put forward to me via private email. I thought I'd post them here:

1.) When Robert Plant performed with guitarist Brian Setzer (among others) on Saturday Night Live in December 1985 there was a sign behind the left side of the drummer stating "band for hire". The sign stated to contact Ahmet with a phone number. Obviously, the phone number couldn't have been legit and probably went to a regular switchboard.

Would you (or anyone else) happen to know if the sign was Robert's idea?

2.) The 1970 soundtrack to the film Homer has Led Zeppelin's How Many More Times on it. I know the band is protective of their work, was the use of that song authorized?

3.) I have an Unledded promotional interview with Robert and Jimmy and Robert mentions that "it all this started with four guys above a hardware store". I was curious if that is the site on Gerrard Street?

---------------------------

I'll start by saying I know an advertisement has been found confirming there was studio rehearsal space for rent at that location (39 Gerrard Street). Haven't seen confirmation

the rehearsal room was above a hardware store. However, if my memory is correct the

structure does have a second floor.

Here's a couple interesting questions put forward to me via private email. I thought I'd post them here:

1.) When Robert Plant performed with guitarist Brian Setzer (among others) on Saturday Night Live in December 1985 there was a sign behind the left side of the drummer stating "band for hire". The sign stated to contact Ahmet with a phone number. Obviously, the phone number couldn't have been legit and probably went to a regular switchboard.

Would you (or anyone else) happen to know if the sign was Robert's idea?

Steve,

Probably, a typo on your part, but Robert's performance along with Brian Setzer was December, 1984 and not 1985. I'm quite certain that is correct. Since, the Honeydrippers' album was released in 1984, that would make sense.

While we're on the subject of this, Robert performed Elvis' Rockin' At Midnight (formerly Good Rockin' Tonight) and Santa Claus Is Back In Town on the show. Is that the only Christmas Song Robert or anyone else in Led Zeppelin has ever performed from the Led Zeppelin days onward? Think about that for a while. That could be a tough one.

Edited by SuperDave

Steve,

Probably, a typo on your part, but Robert's performance along with Brian Setzer was December, 1984 and not 1985. I'm quite certain that is correct. Since, the Honeydrippers' album was released in 1984, that would make sense.

While we're on the subject of this, Robert performed Elvis' Rockin' At Midnight (formerly Good Rockin' Tonight) and Santa Claus Is Back In Town on the show. Is that the only Christmas Song Robert or anyone else in Led Zeppelin has ever performed from the Led Zeppelin days onward? Think about that for a while. That could be a tough one.

That's correct - December 15, 1984. Ahmet had called Robert a few weeks prior to this performance to inform him 'The Honeydrippers Volume One' had sold 100,000 copies. A commercial success beyond their wildest expectations, with 'Sea of Love' becoming a hit single.

I can't think of any other Christmas songs the members of Led Zeppelin have performed

publicly or on record. Perhaps I've overlooked one, but it's really not their forte. :)