Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Background:

October 15, 1974 Olympic Studios in Barnes

Page, Keith Richards, Rich Grech and drummer Rich Rowland record one track 'Scarlet', during an all-night session, with Jimmy recording his solos at 8 a.m.

It's never surfaced on bootleg or official release. If the master tape still exists it would almost certainly be in Keith Richards' possession. Jimmy has confirmed details of having

contributed but never claimed he had the tape.

Thanks Steve, I'd love to hear that...

Why would James Patrick deny the existence of the London All Star - British Percussion Barclay BB-86 (1965) record - is he ashamed or maybe he just forgot?

The session seems to have been an artistic triumph, even if the album met commercial

failure in the French market. My hunch is Jimmy forgot this album was released. He had certainly moved on to other concerns in the time between the session (Feb '65) and the album release date (Sep '65).

I'M with you. The last time I listened to it my sink overflowed and I flooded the whole bathroom. Took me 2 hours to get up all of the water. Bonzo is infectious even in spirit.....like he was in life! ( I hope infectious is a word......also spelled right). If not Spank Me!!! Bad Girl

It's spelt right but d'you fancy a spank anyway?

Steve, do you take requests?

I've read about Jimmy and Keith Richards collaborating on a track called "Scarlet" in the mid to late 70's. Has a bootleg ever surfaced of it? Or did it ever resurface in another form on any Stones albums? I've always wanted to hear what a Keith/Jimmy collaboration would sound like.

Thanks!

Aren't you forgetting that Jimmy did play the solo on 'One Hit (To The Body)' on The Stones' 1986 album, Dirty Work....

Aren't you forgetting that Jimmy did play the solo on 'One Hit (To The Body)' on The Stones' 1986 album, Dirty Work....

I remember reading something about why Jimmy was brought in - there was conflict amongst Mick and Keith at that point or am I way off the mark. Not that it really matters, I just remember there being something about why he played on the song.

I remember reading something about why Jimmy was brought in - there was conflict amongst Mick and Keith at that point or am I way off the mark. Not that it really matters, I just remember there being something about why he played on the song.

Well, relations between Mick and Keith were pretty awful at the time. :lol: But as far as I know it was an idea that they talked about backstage at Live Aid, and 'One Hit' was just the fulfillment of that.

The song uses death or decay as a metaphor for a failing or non-existing relationship. Ozone is an air pollutant that can have harmful effects; thus 'Ozone Baby'.

It's a pollutant on the ground but not in the stratosphere. In common parlance, I'd assume Robert was using the word ozone to refer to something/someone "most high"

Well, relations between Mick and Keith were pretty awful at the time. :lol: But as far as I know it was an idea that they talked about backstage at Live Aid, and 'One Hit' was just the fulfillment of that.

The uncredited guitar contributions Jimmy made to 'One Hit To The Body' and 'Back To Zero' were allegedly recorded with the Stones at Pathe Marconi Studios near Paris sometime in late May or June 1985, which precedes Live Aid (7/13/85). The Stones themselves were there from April 8th thru June 17th but Jimmy was touring the USA & UK thru May 22nd.

Perhaps it was the byproduct of a social visit to either Keith, Charlie or Bill, all of whom had homes in France at the time. Jimmy was of course working on the side with Charlie and Bill at the time on the Willie And The Poor Boys project. For example, the video shoot for 'These Arms of Mine' was filmed 6/24/85 at Fulham Town Hall.

Edit: STOP PRESS! Stones researcher Felix Aeppeli has reported Jimmy's solo was done July 16 or 17 at Right Track Studio in New York City. This would seem to tie-in to it being a byproduct of a conversation Jimmy and one or more of the Stones members who were at Live Aid. There is actually a Led Zeppelin fanzine published in Summer 1985 that reported Jimmy joined them in Paris but that is now doubtful.

Edited by SteveAJones

Steve -- the "One Hit" solo was definitely done in New York in July 1985. Jimmy did not contribute to the Paris sessions.

BTW, although it has been reported that Jimmy also sat in on a version of "Back To Zero", I am fairly certain that the version recorded in New York was not released.

Very interesting.

Have you had any luck with WNEW FM 102.7 in New York and finding out whether, you could get a recording of that interview Carol Miller did back in October/November 1994 at the Unledded premiere in NY? Just curious.

There are many Zep enthusiasts in New York City and I'm waiting for one or two to get back to me with confirmation it's available from them first. Going thru the radio station

is my second option because of the aggravation that usually involves.

Steve -- the "One Hit" solo was definitely done in New York in July 1985. Jimmy did not contribute to the Paris sessions.

BTW, although it has been reported that Jimmy also sat in on a version of "Back To Zero", I am fairly certain that the version recorded in New York was not released.

Fair enough. I'll have to dig out that old fanzine to double check exactly what it said,

as there is the remote possibility he made a social call upon them at Pathe Marconi.

I don't believe 'Back To Zero' has ever been released either.

I did forget about that, good point. I also remember reading in Guitar World's tribute issue to Page (released in the 80's) that way back in the day Keith was struggling to come up with a solo for "Heart of Stone", so he asked Jimmy for some ideas. Jimmy played a solo and Keith nicked it note for note. So although it's Keith playing the solo, Jimmy "composed" it if you will.

I was curious about "Scarlet" because from what I can gather it's a song they wrote together, as opposed to Jimmy playing lead on a Stones track, etc...

I did forget about that, good point. I also remember reading in Guitar World's tribute issue to Page (released in the 80's) that way back in the day Keith was struggling to come up with a solo for "Heart of Stone", so he asked Jimmy for some ideas. Jimmy played a solo and Keith nicked it note for note. So although it's Keith playing the solo, Jimmy "composed" it if you will.

Keith didn't actually ask Jimmy for ideas. The demo version (with Jimmy) had already been recorded by the time the Stones got around to recording it. Keith didn't want to bother coming up with a guitar solo, so he (allegedly) copied the solo from the demo. He probably didn't even know who played it.

Judge for yourself:

Demo version (July 21-23 1964, Regent Sound Studio, London) (Jimmy solo): link

Stones version (November 2, 1964, RCA Studios, Los Angeles) (Keith solo): link

Keith didn't actually ask Jimmy for ideas. The demo version (with Jimmy) had already been recorded by the time the Stones got around to recording it. Keith didn't want to bother coming up with a guitar solo, so he (allegedly) copied the solo from the demo. He probably didn't even know who played it.

Judge for yourself:

Demo version (July 21-23 1964, Regent Sound Studio, London) (Jimmy solo): link

Stones version (November 2, 1964, RCA Studios, Los Angeles) (Keith solo): link

Very cool, thanks!

I don't have the issue handy but Keith was describing this in the first person, so Keith actually said that he "nicked" it. If I can find the issue I'll post the exact quote...

Edit: STOP PRESS! Stones researcher Felix Aeppeli has reported Jimmy's solo was done July 16 or 17 at Right Track Studio in New York City. This would seem to tie-in to it being a byproduct of a conversation Jimmy and one or more of the Stones members who were at Live Aid.

I can't remember where exactly I read that the idea came up at Live Aid, but it was an interview with either Jimmy or Keith, and a long time ago.

I bought that Stones album back when it came, and it was really easy to guess that it was Jimmy playing - that solo is soooo not Keith, and very much Jimmy's style of playing. I'm pretty sure Jimmy isn't playing on the version of 'Back to Zero' that they used for the album.

Very cool, thanks!

I don't have the issue handy but Keith was describing this in the first person, so Keith actually said that he "nicked" it. If I can find the issue I'll post the exact quote...

:yesnod: I remember reading that too - and that he nicked it from Jimmy, but just couldn't remember what song it was - thanks Swandown. Wish I could remember where that interview was - and that other thing about Live Aid. :slapface:

There are many Zep enthusiasts in New York City and I'm waiting for one or two to get back to me with confirmation it's available from them first. Going thru the radio station

is my second option because of the aggravation that usually involves.

I would imagine it would be a headache to do so. They'd ask you why you want it and what are you gonna do with it. Unless you had a connection there, it may be eaier, otherwise other options I'm sure are better.

I would imagine it would be a headache to do so. They'd ask you why you want it and what are you gonna do with it. Unless you had a connection there, it may be easier, otherwise other options I'm sure are better.

Carol Miller may have kept a copy for herself, otherwise you end up going thru endless

suits and intermediaries, none of whom are even remotely interested in helping you out. Welcome to the world of modern corporate radio. Jim Ladd, where have you gone?

:yesnod: I remember reading that too - and that he nicked it from Jimmy, but just couldn't remember what song it was - thanks Swandown. Wish I could remember where that interview was - and that other thing about Live Aid. :slapface:

The one and only Keith Richards on both mysteries:

"Jimmy Page came down and did a couple of licks on a track for our new album ('Dirty Work'), and they were nice too. Jimmy's the best. I hadn't seen him in a long time".

"...for Heart of Stone Jimmy did the original demo. Andrew (Loog Oldham, the Stones' producer) was going to flog that off to somebody else. So when we decided that we were going to do it I nicked Jimmy's solo almost note-for-note (laughs)".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note he says "came down". Does he mean geographically speaking, ala London to Paris?

Then he adds, "I hadn't seen him in a long time". An odd thing to say if the session was just a few days after Live Aid, Then again Keith & Ronnie aren't known for the ability to

maintain accurate recollections. :lol:

Edited by SteveAJones