Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Carol Miller may have kept a copy for herself, otherwise you end up going thru endless

suits and intermediaries, none of whom are even remotely interested in helping you out. Welcome to the world of modern corporate radio. Jim Ladd, where have you gone?

Not to mention the station has gone through a myriad of format and ownership changes which would likely mean things haven't necessarily been saved or archived.

Carol Miller may have kept a copy for herself, otherwise you end up going thru endless

suits and intermediaries, none of whom are even remotely interested in helping you out. Welcome to the world of modern corporate radio. Jim Ladd, where have you gone?

He's on 95.5 KLOS.

I think he was asking rhetorically: "Where have those kinds of people gone? Where are the people who want to help a music fan for the sake of helping?"

Here's one for ya...

Interesting picture...can't seem to find a time or place where Neil, Robert and an accordian did time...

anyone ? Or is it a very good fake ?

22bn7.jpg

Good question since the dude in the back with the suit looks like he's circa 1963.

Edited by bonzo1026

I'd have said 1958 myself. :D

Yes, PJ Proby is still alive--he's now 70. I'm sure I've read an interview where he discussed making that album, but dang me if I can remember where.

Thanks Aqua! I'd be interested to know what he said. He seemed pretty impressed as you can hear towards the end.

Funny you mention '58, I was gonna say '56 at first. LOL

It must be in New Orleans as the man with the accordion is Buckweat Zydaco and obviously Neil Yong it maybe at Tippitinas?

Excellent! Thanks, that narrows it down. See a bunch of google results already saying they did jam, but alas not dates. Anyways thanks, I got a road to go on now.

Have heard his music never saw the face. Now I know.

I'd have said 1958 myself. :D

Yes, PJ Proby is still alive--he's now 70. I'm sure I've read an interview where he discussed making that album, but dang me if I can remember where.

I'd have to check around but there was a small write up regarding the album in the October 2005 issue of MOJO on page 83. Although that small side bar write up has quotes from Steve Rowland.

Steve,

I saw some responses to some questions I sent you an email a while back regarding their first rehearsal on Gerard Street. I'll go back and view the interview more closely. Robert likes to speak in code from time to time so I most likely misunderstood his response. JPJ has stated Gerard Steet but in the same MOJO issue from October 2005 there's a write up interview from Mick Wall where Jimmy Page is quoted as the rehearsal taking place on Lisle Street in London's West End. Any idea's? I know Mick Wall's book isn't popular with some readers and I have yet to purchase it.

I was curious if you found out any additional linformation regarding the following questions plus some new ones to keep you busy) :D

Older Questions:

1.) When Robert Plant went on SNL with Brian Setzer there's a sign

behind the left side of the drummer stating "band for hire". Would you

happen to know if that was Robert's idea? The sign stated to contact

Ahmet with a phone number. Obviously, the phone number couldn't have

been legit and went to a regular switchboard (at least I'm guessing).

2.) The 1970 soundtrack to the movie Homer has Led Zeppelin's How Many

More Times. I know the band is protective of their work but did the

boys and Peter authorize this usage?

New Questions:

3.) Has it been confirmed by Robert (or any member of the band) that Hot Dog was written about the Texas groupie Audrey Hamilton?

4.) Did any other of John Bonham's bulls besides Bruno win certificates?

5.) Finally, have you located any additional information regarding which company created the 1980 tour passes? :)

Thanks for any information you can provide!

Robert

It must be in New Orleans as the man with the accordion is Buckweat Zydaco and obviously Neil Yong it maybe at Tippitinas?

Excellent! Thanks, that narrows it down. See a bunch of google results already saying they did jam, but alas not dates. Anyways thanks, I got a road to go on now.

Buckwheat Zydeco is great - studio and live. Have seen him a few times.

Here's one for ya...

Interesting picture...can't seem to find a time or place where Neil, Robert and an accordian did time...

22bn7.jpg

Assuming it was taken in New Orleans circa '85-'88 the most likely (essentially only)

date is June 5, 1988. Robert was checked in to his hotel after flight arrival and had

the night off as his New Orleans concert was the following night. I'm still seeking to

confirm this date is correct.

Edited by SteveAJones

Wow! Never heard that version before - extremely cool. Who's playing the country steel guitar - Brian Jones?

Actually, the steel guitar part was overdubbed onto the demo in 1975 by a session guitarist named Jon Tiven (who, incidentally, would later play guitar with Robert Plant on "If It's Really Got To Be This Way"). The undubbed version is only available on bootlegs.

Is PJ Proby still alive and has he ever commented on working with the members of Zep on Jim's Blues/George Wallace on his Three Week Hero album?

link He's made several similar comments throughout the years.

Steve,

I saw some responses to some questions I sent you an email a while back regarding their first rehearsal on Gerard Street. I'll go back and view the interview more closely. Robert likes to speak in code from time to time so I most likely misunderstood his response. JPJ has stated Gerard Steet but in the same MOJO issue from October 2005 there's a write up interview from Mick Wall where Jimmy Page is quoted as the rehearsal taking place on Lisle Street in London's West End. Any idea's? I know Mick Wall's book isn't popular with some readers and I have yet to purchase it.

I was curious if you found out any additional linformation regarding the following questions plus some new ones to keep you busy) :D

Older Questions:

1.) When Robert Plant went on SNL with Brian Setzer there's a sign

behind the left side of the drummer stating "band for hire". Would you

happen to know if that was Robert's idea? The sign stated to contact

Ahmet with a phone number. Obviously, the phone number couldn't have

been legit and went to a regular switchboard (at least I'm guessing).

2.) The 1970 soundtrack to the movie Homer has Led Zeppelin's How Many

More Times. I know the band is protective of their work but did the

boys and Peter authorize this usage?

New Questions:

3.) Has it been confirmed by Robert (or any member of the band) that Hot Dog was written about the Texas groupie Audrey Hamilton?

4.) Did any other of John Bonham's bulls besides Bruno win certificates?

5.) Finally, have you located any additional information regarding which company created the 1980 tour passes? :)

Thanks for any information you can provide!

Robert

I noticed Jimmy said Lisle Street as well, but chalked it up to poor editing or a fading memory. There is another published interview I have from just a few years ago wherein he says the five nights at Earls Court were "in 1976". We must take these with a grain of salt.

I don't have any confirmed answers to offer to either the older or new questions at this time. They are great questions worthy of continued examination.

Here's one for ya...

22bn7.jpg

Without the vest, he's wearing the same shirt and pants in Toronto 1988.

Either that or Storyville Jazz Hall, New Orleans, 1989

I notice Buckwheat Zydeco looks the same.

Buckwheat Zydeco: The Facts

Duets with Willie Nelson and Mavis Staples on "Five Card Stud". Eric Clapton was guest on Buck's version of "Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad?" Played on Keith Richard's solo LP. Jam sessions with Clapton, Neil Young, Robert Plant, Ringo Starr, Greg Allman, Jimmy Buffett, John Hiatt, Neville Brothers, Bonnie Raitt, Andy Summers etc.

http://www.buckwheatzydeco.com/bwzydecoour...zydecfacts.html

Edited by eternal light

Without the vest, he's wearing the same shirt and pants in Toronto 1988.

Either that or Storyville Jazz Hall, New Orleans, 1989

I notice Buckwheat Zydeco looks the same.

Agreed. Definitely his stage clothes from 1988. I don't show he came to the US in '89.

Besides, the backdrop in the photo does not match that of the Storyville Jazz Hall

clip. If we can place Neil Young in New Orleans circa 6/8/88 this one will be solved.

Edit: Well, it won't be so easy. On 6/5/88 Neil Young was on a tour break before resuming in California two days later. The pursuit continues...

Edited by SteveAJones

Agreed. Definitely his stage clothes from 1988. I don't show he came to the US in '89.

Besides, the backdrop in the photo does not match that of the Storyville Jazz Hall

clip. If we can place Neil Young in New Orleans circa 6/8/88 this one will be solved.

Edit: Well, it won't be so easy. On 6/5/88 Neil Young was on a tour break before resuming in California two days later. The pursuit continues...

1988 Supporting Dylan at the start of The Never Ending Tour

Statistics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

06-07-1988, Concord Pavilion, Concord, California

Guests w/ Bob Dylan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

06-10-1988, Greek Theater, Berkeley, California

Guests w/ Bob Dylan

http://www.sugarmtn.org/years/88nysets.html

Was Robert Plant in San Francisco at all during June 1988 or maybe at the RAH in London in January?

These are dates for the year 1988–The Non Stop Go! tour in support of Now and Zen.

http://serious.manicnirvana.com/miscellany/?cat=27

Apparently Clapton was as pleased with the result as we were because he offered us the opening slot on his summer and fall 1988 North American tour, and then, the following January, twelve nights with him at the Royal Albert Hall in London.

http://www.buckwheatzydeco.com/bwzydecoour...eco_20year.html

Edited by eternal light

If it is then he would have performed at Tipitina's more than once.

Here's another one from the same show. What a party atmosphere at this place, down in New Orleans. Robert's having a good time as is the crowd and he sounds great!

Edited by SuperDave

Was Robert Plant in San Francisco at all during June 1988 or maybe at the RAH in London in January?

I don't show him making an appearance at the RAH in Jan '89, but he did stay at the Four Seasons Hotel in San Francisco on the nights of June 17th & 18th 1988 while performing in Mountain View on 6/17/88. 6/18/88 was a night off.

Neil Young played Mountain View the week prior on 6/11/88. It's a remote possibility if we can place Zydeco in California around this time, but the odds are it was in New Orleans prior to Young's tour resuming.

Edited by SteveAJones