Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

I don't show him making an appearance at the RAH in Jan '89, but he did stay at the Four Seasons Hotel in San Francisco on the nights of June 17th & 18th 1988 while performing in Mountain View on 6/17/88. 6/18/88 was a night off.

Neil Young played Mountain View the week prior on 6/11/88. It's a remote possibility if we can place Zydeco in California around this time, but the odds are it was in New Orleans prior to Young's tour resuming.

December 14: The Belly Up Tavern in Solano Beach, California

(With BUCKWHEAT ZYDECO)

December 18: Club Lingerie in Hollywood (With BUCKWHEAT ZYDECO)

http://www.pontybone.com/part2.htm

Wed. July 13, 1988 Buckwheat Zydeco, Barrymore's Music Hall, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

http://www.barrymores.on.ca/new/history/1988.htm

CLAPTON, ERIC: With Buckwheat , Zydeco, August/ 1988.

http://www.algonet.se/~famevald/tapes/newtapemdae.htm

I happened to find this photo of Jimmy Page with the Yardbirds as I was surfing the net.

Eric Clapton with Buckwheat Zydeco - Capital Centre (Largo, MD) - September 8, 1988

http://www.gogomag.com/tickets/ticketstubs_1988.htm

Edited by eternal light

I happened to find this photo of Jimmy Page with the Yardbirds as I was surfing the net.

19661202BereaOHwithTheChoir.jpg

This photograph of The Yardbirds (w/Jimmy Page) and The Choir was almost certainly taken December 2, 1966 in the Union Ballroom at Baldwin-Wallace College in Berea, Ohio.

The Choir were the opening act for this independent date booked outside of the Dick Clark Caravan of Stars tour which The Yardbirds were on at the time.

Mystery solved!!!!

Silver Clef Awards Nov. 17 1988 afterparty NY, NY

Turns out there's even a boot of it! Time to find some Young phreaks and see if I can hunt that down now.

http://enlaplayadeneil.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_archive.html

Número: 1032

Título: Silver Clef Awards

Intérprete: Neil Young

Lugar: New York, New York

Fecha: 1988/11/17

Con: Phil Collins, Curt Smith, Buckwheat Zydeco, Mike Rutherford, R. Plant y otros

Formato: CDR

Calidad: **

Cantidad: 1 CDRs

Origen: FLA

Silver Clef Awards Nov. 17 1988 afterparty NY, NY

Through the transatlantic connections of the music industry, the Silver Clef initiative spread to the USA, establishing the Nordoff-Robbins Music Therapy Foundation Inc., in New York in 1988.

http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/music/nordoff/history/

SILVER CLEF AWARD

1988 Paul McCartney

NEW MUSIC AWARD

1988 Wet Wet Wet

http://www.nordoff-robbins.org.uk/fundrais...llYears_001.pdf

Lot 10321 : Various Rock Stars Inc Mccartney & Phil Collins The 1988 Silver Clef Luncheon Multi Signed Programme.

This luncheon given annually to present the award for outstanding achievement in the world of British music and to raise funds for the Nordoff Robbins Music Therapy Centre This 88 page glossy booklet/programme gives details of the Trusts' work through the year and features photographs of many of the greatest British stars. It has been boldly autographed by many of the stars present including :- Paul & Linda Mccartney, Genesis including Phil Collins, Wet Wet Wet, Curiosity Killed The Cat, Mark King Level 42, Holly Johnson, Robin Gibb Bee Gees, Joan Collins, Toyah, Curt Smith and many more. The book is in good condition and is an excellent value collection Mb

http://www.artfact.com/auction-lot/various...-1-c-6iwfrjxohk

Edited by eternal light

Actually way to go Meg !

I show his next gig was cancelled (Kansas Coliseum in Wichita, KS on 11/18/88). Does

anyone in Kansas know what reason, if any, was given? Perhaps this was to allow him

to attend the Silver Cleft Awards after-show in New York on 11/17/88.

Edit: Never mind. I just realized I already have the answer: he played the Lloyd Noble Arena in Norman, OK on 11/18/88 instread.

Edited by SteveAJones

Confirmation has been received of a session Jimmy & John McLaughlin did with The Rolling

Stones at Greenford Studios in London, July 1964. It's available on a new release titled

'The Rolling Stones: Definitive Demos 1963-1966'. Here are the tracks featuring Jimmy:

Some Things Just Stick In Your Mind

Each And Everyday Of The Year

Heart Of Stone

(Walking Through The) Sleepy City

We're Wastin' Time

Try A Little Harder

Confirmation has been received of a session Jimmy & John McLaughlin did with The Rolling

Stones at Greenford Studios in London, July 1964. It's available on a new release titled

'The Rolling Stones: Definitive Demos 1963-1966'. Here are the tracks featuring Jimmy:

Heart Of Stone

We're Wastin' Time

Try A Little Harder

Well that is something I would definitely want! John McLaughlin's a fantastic guitar player.

Heart Of Stone

We're Wastin' Time

Try A Little Harder

Was it around this time that Jimmy took a few guitar lessons from John?

Heart Of Stone

We're Wastin' Time

Try A Little Harder

Wow, this is quite interesting to know this. Now is this the original version of Heart of Stone or just another one?

July 21-23 1964 Tue-Thu London, England Regent Sound Studios

Andrew Oldham Orchestra session…bassist on 'Heart of Stone' (3:49) with Jagger/McLaughlin/Cattini

Heart of Stone

Some Things Just Stick In Your Mind by the Rolling Stones

Each and Every Day of the Year by the Rolling Stones
Heart Of Stone

Walking Through The Sleepy City Written By Mick Jagger and Keith Richards
We're Wastin' Time
Try A Little Harder

Try A Little Harder by the Rolling Stones

Edited by eternal light

Heart Of Stone

We're Wastin' Time

Try A Little Harder

Adding to this....

Not all of these songs have Jimmy on guitar. In fact, the only one that is confirmed to feature Jimmy is "Heart Of Stone". (There were at least 6 session guitarists who played on these demos, and most songs feature only 2 guitars, so...)

Also, Bill Wyman recently stated that "Try A Little Harder" was recorded by the full Stones lineup in February 1964.

Adding to this....

Not all of these songs have Jimmy on guitar. In fact, the only one that is confirmed to feature Jimmy is "Heart Of Stone". (There were at least 6 session guitarists who played on these demos, and most songs feature only 2 guitars, so...)

Also, Bill Wyman recently stated that "Try A Little Harder" was recorded by the full Stones lineup in February 1964.

Thanks for the important clarification. It seems the people behind the release of this new cd may have exagerrated Jimmy's association with this tracks.

Thanks for the important clarification. It seems the people behind the release of this new cd may have exagerrated Jimmy's association with this tracks.

That's probably in order to make it appealing to sell more copies. Not that it wouldn't sell anyway, but even with Jimmy's name, it's guaranteed to sell more. Maybe not a lot more, but definitely more. It's called marketing.

Bit of a hard one, does anyone recall a programme on uk tv .Man Alive/World in Action late 1970's about banking.

The segment that focused on Led Zeppelin late 1970's. How they had invested , the clip of zep

were stills from 1975 in the programme if that helps?

Edited by Cecil.

Bit of a hard one, does anyone recall a programme on uk tv .Man Alive/World in Action late 1970's about banking. The segment that focused on Led Zeppelin late 1970's. How they had invested , the clip of zep were stills from 1975 in the programme if that helps?

I've never heard of this clip before, but perhaps someone else has. I do know they had been featured in the Financial Times newspaper at least twice (1970 & 1973). You

refer to a '75 tour program - perhaps it coincided with the Earls Court dates (May '75)

or the release of TSRTS (Oct 76). I'd be interested to see how extensively their investments were covered, particularly as some, such as Hammerwood Manor, failed.

Hi Steve!

Here's a couple of more questions to add to my growing list of questions!

1.) Regarding publishing companies usually the band utilized Superhype Publishing Inc. and Flames of Albion Music Inc. However for Physical Graffiti it states that all songs were published under Joaneline Music Inc. Do you have any information regarding Joaneline Music Inc.?

2.) I remember hearing an interview on June 7th 1991 on my way to a Billy Squier concert at the now defunct Sting nightclub in New Britain Connecticut and listening to a radio interview with Billy. If I recall correctly there was actually talk of Billy collaborating with Jimmy Page, but Billy was touring to support his then latest release Creatures of Habit and the talks fell through. Do you have any additional information regarding this? In addition, unless I'm mistaken Billy actually mentioned this in a second interview he conducted.

3.) Following up on the recent sale of a Jimmy Page used bow, can you confirm if Jimmy only utilized Czechoslovakia A. Prager bows or did he utilize various manufactured bows?

4.) Do you recall in your vast articles archive if there ever was any other mention other than in NME that the first two dates from the 1973 tour were transmitted via a closed circuit tv system?

Thanks as always if you have any information regarding the above and the previously posted questions!

Robert

Hi Steve!

Here's a couple of more questions to add to my growing list of questions!

1.) Regarding publishing companies usually the band utilized Superhype Publishing Inc. and Flames of Albion Music Inc. However for Physical Graffiti it states that all songs were published under Joaneline Music Inc. Do you have any information regarding Joaneline Music Inc.?

2.) I remember hearing an interview on June 7th 1991 on my way to a Billy Squier concert at the now defunct Sting nightclub in New Britain Connecticut and listening to a radio interview with Billy. If I recall correctly there was actually talk of Billy collaborating with Jimmy Page, but Billy was touring to support his then latest release Creatures of Habit and the talks fell through. Do you have any additional information regarding this? In addition, unless I'm mistaken Billy actually mentioned this in a second interview he conducted.

3.) Following up on the recent sale of a Jimmy Page used bow, can you confirm if Jimmy only utilized Czechoslovakia A. Prager bows or did he utilize various manufactured bows?

4.) Do you recall in your vast articles archive if there ever was any other mention other than in NME that the first two dates from the 1973 tour were transmitted via a closed circuit tv system?

Thanks as always if you have any information regarding the above and the previously posted questions!

Robert

Robert, you've presented awesome questions for this thread. I'll see what I can find.

I can tell you the corporate offices for Joaneline Music are (were?) 33-34 CHANCERY LANE in LONDON.

Is it Robert Plant or Maggie Bell who sings at the end of Donovan's Barabajagal? Robert Plant is not listed in the credits that I have seen so far, but Madeline Bell is.

I've never heard Robert mentioned as singing vocals on that track though Robert did say he bought his first car from him :D

Edited by ninelives

Led Zeppelin: The 1975 Scandanavian Tour CANCELLED

1975_08SuosikkiFinland1.jpg

1975_08SuosikkiFinland3.jpg

Suosikki (Finland) August 1975 issue

(Advertisement: Led Zeppelin Uusi Messuhalli Helsinki, Finland Sat, November 5, 1975)

Courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

To: xxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xxx

Subject: Re: Led Zeppelin Helsinki 1975

Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 16:28:01 +0200

Hi Steve,

Sorry about the delay with the reply! I went through three years' worth of Suosikki magazines during the Christmas holiday and found some new articles (some of which might have been published in UK/US magazines and translated into Finnish). There is a copy of the fax (or equivalent) of the annoucement of the 1975 concert cancellation that was sent from a Danish agency plus a curious article of Zep's press conference from Stockholm in 1973 which was held at a strip club with live strippers. Btw of particular interest was a mention in the cancellation article that (if I remember correctly) the WHOLE European tour was cancelled because of Robert's accident which must mean that other dates were confirmed for the tour. My mum has taken photocopies of all articles and will send them to me shortly.

with regards

Mauri

Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 15:40:50 +0000

Hi Mauri,

Three years worth? Wow! It will be interesting to see how much press

coverage they were afforded.

Regards,

Steve A. Jones

Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:50:21 +0200

Hi Steve,

I'm travelling to Pori on Saturday and my mum has borrowed three years worth of Suosikki magazines for examination - I'll tell you about the results!

with regards

Mauri

Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 10:16:27 +0200

Hi Steve,

I have your photocopies ready for mailing but I thought to send the translations by email - lots easier and you can also send these to other people if you like. You'll have the articles in Finnish coming in the package but like I wrote earlier, I don't currently have the front cover of the magazine. The front cover of both Suosikki magazines from 1975 is included with the articles.

with regards

Mauri Mikola

Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 13:55:03 +0000

Hi,

Sounds good. I've gotten favorable responses from Canada and Portugal (so far) on the research into the Helsinki dates. Something like this really pays off when it motivates others to do some research of their own, leading to further discoveries.

Regards,

Steve A. Jones

Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 15:08:49 +0200

Hi!

I am taking photocopies today, but since tomorrow is the Finnish independence day and the post offices are closed during weekend, I can also send your wares on Monday. But I'll promise to do that then! :=)

Thanks for posting the details of the November 1975 "show" - I wonder if this really draws anyone's attention? Hope so.

with regards

Mauri

Edited by SteveAJones