Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Bit of a hard one, does anyone recall a programme on uk tv .Man Alive/World in Action late 1970's about banking.

The segment that focused on Led Zeppelin late 1970's. How they had invested , the clip of zep

were stills from 1975 in the programme if that helps?

If memory serves, the TV programme was 'World In Action'. It was an expose on Tax Evasion and /or Tax Avoidance!! Zeppelin were not the only Rock band featured...I think Genesis got a mention too.

edit to add....and probaly Floyd (with the whole Norton Warburg collapse).

Edited by dave2007

Wednesday Waiting...Thursday Mourning

1980_09_25ChicagoTribune.jpg

Chicago Tribune (Thu) September 25, 1980

Courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

We take it for granted today how easy it is to buy tickets for concerts over the internet. I bought my Eric Clapton tickets the minute they went on sale this past Saturday. I immediately knew where my seats were and paid for them. The entire transaction took 5 minutes.

It is hard to imagine waiting in line with 1000 people just to get a newspaper to file an application to get tickets for a concert. You wouldn't know if you got the tickets for weeks and you wouldn't know where your seats were going to be.

Come to think of it, it is sort of what everyone had to go through with the lottery to get tickets to the O2 show. The only difference is that everything was processed electronically, but you still had to wait to see if you won the right to buy the tickets.

We take it for granted today how easy it is to buy tickets for concerts over the internet. I bought my Eric Clapton tickets the minute they went on sale this past Saturday. I immediately knew where my seats were and paid for them. The entire transaction took 5 minutes.

It is hard to imagine waiting in line with 1000 people just to get a newspaper to file an application to get tickets for a concert. You wouldn't know if you got the tickets for weeks and you wouldn't know where your seats were going to be.

Come to think of it, it is sort of what everyone had to go through with the lottery to get tickets to the O2 show. The only difference is that everything was processed electronically, but you still had to wait to see if you won the right to buy the tickets.

I've stood on many a looooooong line waiting for the Ticketmaster window to open!

Is it Robert Plant or Maggie Bell who sings at the end of Donovan's Barabajagal? Robert Plant is not listed in the credits that I have seen so far, but Madeline Bell is.

funny you mentioned that, I once was listening to this song on UTube, and found reference to Robert there. I thought it was a woman's voice at the end of the song. Now that explains it. (In fact, I was listening to Jason's Auntie's rendering on "The Battle of Evermore", then saw her on photoes with Donovan, was intrigued to find out they are good friends, and proceeded to Donovan's track. And was even more intrigued to hear Robert's vocals.) :rolleyes: kind of a long story, I know.

I remember queuing all night for tickets for the Faces at that-place-in-Liverpool-where-they-used-to-have-the-wrestling, can't-remember-its-name, fuelled only by a packet of digestive biscuits and bottles of Guinness. :P

Then there were all the postal ballots. I got lucky for the Stones and Springsteen in different decades . . .

Now that's a blast from the past...Ticketron. I remember the robotic looking letters on their tix.

Hmmm - I'm trying to remember that. I remember the name but I think when I started going to concerts, it was pretty much all Ticketmaster. There may have been an affiliate company as well but I can't recall.

I remember queuing all night for tickets for the Faces at that-place-in-Liverpool-where-they-used-to-have-the-wrestling, can't-remember-its-name, fuelled only by a packet of digestive biscuits and bottles of Guinness. :P

Then there were all the postal ballots. I got lucky for the Stones and Springsteen in different decades . . .

I probably still have some of those postal cards the Stones sent out afterwards, for the ballots that weren't awarded tickets. These are from the 1981 tour.

Edited by SuperDave

ORIGINS OF JIMMY PAGE AS PROFESSIONAL MUSICIAN

RED E. LEWIS & THE REDCAPS

To quote Neil Christian: "I was looking for a guitar player and I went down to Epsom to see this school-kid that I had heard about". "He was only 15 at the time, still at school but wanted to leave rather than go to college". "So I went to see his parents. They weren't

very keen on the idea but I told them I would guarantee him 15 pounds a week, which in those days was very good money. Anyway, Jimmy joined".

To quote Jimmy Page: "It was Neil Christian who saw me playing in a local hall and suggested that I play in his band. It was a big thing because they worked in London, whereas I was from the suburbs. So there I was, the 15 year old guitarist marching into London with his guitar case. I played for him a couple of years".

It is said history often forgets many things, but how can these two men really forget the truth?

At a local club in Epsom in 1959 Jimmy Page's band were first on the bill to Chris Farlowe's band and Johnny Kidd & The Pirates. Unfortunately, Farlowe had a throat infection and could not make the show but his friend Red E. Lewis - also from the Tottenham/Wood Green area - stepped in for him so the band could play. Lewis fronted the

Recaps, a Gene Vincent-inspired band that were very popular in the clubs of North London. Their manager was Neil Christian.

Red spoke with Jimmy about his band after the show and they talked about Elvis and Gene Vincent and other rock 'n' rollers. Jimmy mentioned his ambition was to go to London and join a bigger band. Red was looking for a second guitarist at the time and he went over to speak with Neil Christian about it. Christian was introduced to Jimmy before he

left, and Red took Jimmy's address and phone number and said goodbye.

Back in North London, Red and Christian discussed the young guitarist and they decided to phone him up. They arranged to meet him and a week later they both traveled by train to Epsom to meet the Page family.

After a long conversation about his schooling, music, ambition and money Page's parents agreed to permit Jimmy to go to London. A few days later Jimmy took up residence at Red's home where he rehearsed his guitar playing in the living room. After a couple of weeks of rehearsals, Jimmy joined Red E. Lewis and The Redcaps.

The band, with Jimmy, played a number of headline concerts at the rock 'n' roll club just off Caledonian Road. A photograph exists of Jimmy with the band during this time, taken after another concert that also featured Johnny Kidd & The Pirates.

Christian, meanwhile, was getting fed up with being a manager and decided to put his own band together. Red was having problems with his group, so it was then decided Jimmy would join Christian's band the Crusaders, and Red would sort out a new band himself.

Red invited his friends Johnny Patto, Johnny Spence, and Frank Farley to form the new group. Mick Green was added to replace Jimmy and this lineup carried on until Red called it quits. The band went on to back cabaret star Cudley Dudley before becoming the most famous lineup of Johnny Kidd's band.

Before long, Red was singing backup for Gene Vincent before opting to assist his brother Mick Stubbs in the Blue Rondos and later in Home. Page had by then spent two years with Neil Christian and The Crusaders before leaving due to glandular fever.

By the way, Mick Stubbs wrote a song titled 'Red E. Lewis & The Redcaps', and one of the lines is "I hope Jimmy remembers when".

Perhaps Jimmy will remember now!

THE SHARDS OF YOUR SOULS SHALL BASK IN THE FIRES OF MY PAIN. YOU ARE ALL FOOLS TO WORSHIP AT THE ALTAR OF RA BEFORE KNOWING THAT WHICH YOU DO NOT SEEK. PAGE AND PLANT HAVE SEALED THEIR FATES IN THE HOLES OF MY WILL. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO KNOW WHAT YOU DO NOT KNOW. ONLY ATTEMPT TO SUBMIT. THERE YOU WILL FIND PEACE. ZUR EN ARRH

THE SHARDS OF YOUR SOULS SHALL BASK IN THE FIRES OF MY PAIN. YOU ARE ALL FOOLS TO WORSHIP AT THE ALTAR OF RA BEFORE KNOWING THAT WHICH YOU DO NOT SEEK. PAGE AND PLANT HAVE SEALED THEIR FATES IN THE HOLES OF MY WILL. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO KNOW WHAT YOU DO NOT KNOW. ONLY ATTEMPT TO SUBMIT. THERE YOU WILL FIND PEACE. ZUR EN ARRH

:blink: :blink: :blink:

:wtf:

Cool, write a book please......

Hey Stealth Jed,Mr. Jones might be able to solve your mystery if you put it in the form of a question.Na-Nu Na-Nu.

Hey Stealth Jed,Mr. Jones might be able to solve your mystery if you put it in the form of a question.Na-Nu Na-Nu.

Else ye shalt evoke Aleister Crowley through the Mystickal Silver Gates to the Kingdom of Shadows which is called YOGSOTHOTH. Thou shalt read it in ye book of ye Mad Arab Alhazred on page 465 (just a bit next to the footnotes)

Ia adu en I, Ia Shub Niggurath.

Jeez, I love long and meaningless discussions.

Edited by reswati

The Magic and Mystery of Jimmy's Tower House

Tower House was built by William Burges (1827-1881) for himself between 1875-1880, and Jimmy Page outbid David Bowie for it in the early 70s. It is next door to the former home of artist Luke Fildes. Fildes house now belongs to Michael Winner, for whom the Death Wish II film soundtrack was written in 1982.

Burges was an expert on 13th Century Gothic architecture - something of a Gothic revivalist - a contemporary of Sir Frederick Leighton whose presence in Melbury Road had drawn other artists to the area: Marcus Stone and Luke Fildes - both of whom had their houses built by Norman Shaw - and G.F. Watts. This exclusive coterie of friends prompted even more elaborate homes, but none more so than Burges. It was said in 1880 that Burges was either an architect working 50 years ahead of his time, or working an entirely mistaken tract!

Tower House was - and probably still is - the most expensive house in Melbury Road. The exterior of massive and picturesque brickwork, with the corner dominated by a circular staircase tower, toped by a conical roof, shows all Burges' preoccupation with Mediaeval imagery. The real magic of the house however, is the interior. Ornate bronze doors lead

into a double height hall, with a richly decorated ceiling, its plaster walls painted to look like stone.

All the rooms tell a story. The dining room was meant to convey an idea of Chaucer's 'Hall Of Fame', with walls of marble topped by a ceramic tiled frieze depicting characters from tales and fables. The wrought iron ceiling displays zodiacal signs and although the dining table is plain, one might like to compare the one at the Old Mill House to the Tower House ceiling. The library has an elaborate castellated stone chimney piece illustrating the dispersal of the parts of speech from its 'Tower Of Babel'. In its doorway is 'Queen Grammai', her dress painted with the alphabets of three languages - Roman, Greek and Hebrew. The frieze of figures goes on to feature nouns bearing the burden of the

sentence, preceded by 'the' and 'a' depicted as pages to a great lady representing verb.

There is an alphabet entwined within the Gothic foliage and a touch of Burgess' humour - the 'h' has been dropped to be painted alone on the marble. Painted cupboards depict scenes representing different letters of the alphabet beginning with "A" for architect, Burgess himself. Themed decorations are everywhere: the windows are painted with various disciplines from the arts and sciences, even the light switches are matched to the rooms purposes, and symbols above the entrances to each room represent that room function.

Each room represents a natural theme: astrology, butterflies, the sea. One bedroom was covered with paintings, carvings and stained glass butterflies; a staircase window illustrates the storming of the castle of love. Burges' own bedroom - the Ocean room - has a spectacular mermaid holding out a mirror that seems to rise out of the fireplace, it

colours and decorations so designed that Burgess could imagine himself - when in opiate haze - at the bottom of the sea.

Kenneth Anger was allowed use of only the basement to work on editing his film 'Lucifer Is Rising'. He remarked that this was "an evil fantasy house" but perhaps he missed point.

Got to go now for the brooms and the buckets kept down in the basement are dancing and getting out of control.