Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Steve, how did Richard Harris fit into this. he made the house habitable/restored?

Actor Richard Harris owned Tower House just prior to Jimmy. It was auctioned off for

nearly 400,000 pounds, with Jimmy outbidding David Bowie. So far as I know the home

had never fallen into a state of neglect such as Boleskine House and Hammerwood.

According to Harris, whom loved to tell tales of Tower House, the tower was haunted by an eight-year-old boy who had been buried in the tower. The boy often kept Harris awake at night until one day he built a nursery for the boy to play in, which calmed the disturbances to some extent. I imgaine we can file this one under believe it...or not.

Actor Richard Harris owned Tower House just prior to Jimmy. It was auctioned off for

nearly 400,000 pounds, with Jimmy outbidding David Bowie. So far as I know the home

had never fallen into a state of neglect such as Boleskine House and Hammerwood.

According to Harris, whom loved to tell tales of Tower House, the tower was haunted by an eight-year-old boy who had been buried in the tower. The boy often kept Harris awake at night until one day he built a nursery for the boy to play in, which calmed the disturbances to some extent. I imgaine we can file this one under believe it...or not.

Richard was always off with the "spirits"! ;)

ORIGINS OF JIMMY PAGE AS PROFESSIONAL MUSICIAN

RED E. LEWIS & THE REDCAPS

To quote Neil Christian: "I was looking for a guitar player and I went down to Epsom to see this school-kid that I had heard about". "He was only 15 at the time, still at school but wanted to leave rather than go to college". "So I went to see his parents. They weren't

very keen on the idea but I told them I would guarantee him 15 pounds a week, which in those days was very good money. Anyway, Jimmy joined".

To quote Jimmy Page: "It was Neil Christian who saw me playing in a local hall and suggested that I play in his band. It was a big thing because they worked in London, whereas I was from the suburbs. So there I was, the 15 year old guitarist marching into London with his guitar case. I played for him a couple of years".

It is said history often forgets many things, but how can these two men really forget the truth?

At a local club in Epsom in 1959 Jimmy Page's band were first on the bill to Chris Farlowe's band and Johnny Kidd & The Pirates. Unfortunately, Farlowe had a throat infection and could not make the show but his friend Red E. Lewis - also from the Tottenham/Wood Green area - stepped in for him so the band could play. Lewis fronted the

Recaps, a Gene Vincent-inspired band that were very popular in the clubs of North London. Their manager was Neil Christian.

Red spoke with Jimmy about his band after the show and they talked about Elvis and Gene Vincent and other rock 'n' rollers. Jimmy mentioned his ambition was to go to London and join a bigger band. Red was looking for a second guitarist at the time and he went over to speak with Neil Christian about it. Christian was introduced to Jimmy before he

left, and Red took Jimmy's address and phone number and said goodbye.

Back in North London, Red and Christian discussed the young guitarist and they decided to phone him up. They arranged to meet him and a week later they both traveled by train to Epsom to meet the Page family.

After a long conversation about his schooling, music, ambition and money Page's parents agreed to permit Jimmy to go to London. A few days later Jimmy took up residence at Red's home where he rehearsed his guitar playing in the living room. After a couple of weeks of rehearsals, Jimmy joined Red E. Lewis and The Redcaps.

The band, with Jimmy, played a number of headline concerts at the rock 'n' roll club just off Caledonian Road. A photograph exists of Jimmy with the band during this time, taken after another concert that also featured Johnny Kidd & The Pirates.

Christian, meanwhile, was getting fed up with being a manager and decided to put his own band together. Red was having problems with his group, so it was then decided Jimmy would join Christian's band the Crusaders, and Red would sort out a new band himself.

Red invited his friends Johnny Patto, Johnny Spence, and Frank Farley to form the new group. Mick Green was added to replace Jimmy and this lineup carried on until Red called it quits. The band went on to back cabaret star Cudley Dudley before becoming the most famous lineup of Johnny Kidd's band.

Before long, Red was singing backup for Gene Vincent before opting to assist his brother Mick Stubbs in the Blue Rondos and later in Home. Page had by then spent two years with Neil Christian and The Crusaders before leaving due to glandular fever.

By the way, Mick Stubbs wrote a song titled 'Red E. Lewis & The Redcaps', and one of the lines is "I hope Jimmy remembers when".

Perhaps Jimmy will remember now!

this is why i read this forum...

THE SHARDS OF YOUR SOULS SHALL BASK IN THE FIRES OF MY PAIN. YOU ARE ALL FOOLS TO WORSHIP AT THE ALTAR OF RA BEFORE KNOWING THAT WHICH YOU DO NOT SEEK. PAGE AND PLANT HAVE SEALED THEIR FATES IN THE HOLES OF MY WILL. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO KNOW WHAT YOU DO NOT KNOW. ONLY ATTEMPT TO SUBMIT. THERE YOU WILL FIND PEACE. ZUR EN ARRH

this is not...

THE SHARDS OF YOUR SOULS SHALL BASK IN THE FIRES OF MY PAIN. YOU ARE ALL FOOLS TO WORSHIP AT THE ALTAR OF RA BEFORE KNOWING THAT WHICH YOU DO NOT SEEK. PAGE AND PLANT HAVE SEALED THEIR FATES IN THE HOLES OF MY WILL. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO KNOW WHAT YOU DO NOT KNOW. ONLY ATTEMPT TO SUBMIT. THERE YOU WILL FIND PEACE. ZUR EN ARRH

ANOTHER CRACKPOT.

Pack yourself another bong mate!

The Magic and Mystery of Jimmy's Tower House

Tower House was built by William Burges (1827-1881) for himself between 1875-1880, and Jimmy Page outbid David Bowie for it in the early 70s. It is next door to the former home of artist Luke Fildes. Fildes house now belongs to Michael Winner, for whom the Death Wish II film soundtrack was written in 1982.

When Michael Winner said in an interview once that Jimmy was his neighbor, I just assumed that he was his neighbor in Windsor, not in London. I agree with Beatbo, I love this thread- you learn a lot here. Thanks again Steve!

When Michael Winner said in an interview once that Jimmy was his neighbor, I just assumed that he was his neighbor in Windsor, not in London. I agree with Beatbo, I love this thread- you learn a lot here. Thanks again Steve!

Well, just to clarify further, Old Mill House is in Clewer Village near Windsor. Jimmy sold that property and moved out awhile ago.

I believe the reward would have been a negotiable point as opposed to a fixed amount.

This was the guitar Jimmy used more than any other with the band up until it went missing.

Would it be the same one as in the RAH show? :unsure:

I believe the reward would have been a negotiable point as opposed to a fixed amount.

Return no questions asked I assume. Interesting bit on the time of it's loss. On the way to Winnipeg ?Vancouver ? Certainly not 1970

1971....?

If this artical is accurate, it would have to be 69. To me, the one he used at RAH was different than the one he is referring to. II could be way off base here but I think we are talking two different guitars

Sorry, but the Millenium Falcon left a long time ago without you and you missed it!

Return no questions asked I assume. Interesting bit on the time of it's loss. On the way to Winnipeg ?Vancouver ? Certainly not 1970

From what I remember...Richard Cole writes in Stairway to Heaven, the Band was on their way to Winnipeg....the date/year has to be Aug. 29, 1970 Man Pop Festival, Winnipeg, MB....

Richard also writes about their "extra-curricular" activities/possiblities of renting Boat, down by the amazing Assiniboine River to relieve "bordeom"........... :D

perhaps, the advertisement appeared much later?

(Just a little personal interest in this particular city.....)

Edited by PlanetPage

From what I remember...Richard Cole writes in Stairway to Heaven, the Band was on their way to Winnipeg....the date/year has to be Aug. 29, 1970 Man Pop Festival, Winnipeg, MB....

Richard also writes about their "extra-curricular" activities/possiblities of renting Boat, down by the amazing Assiniboine River to relieve "bordeom"........... :D

The guitar may have been stolen on April 13th 1970, the day the band was flown from Minneapolis to Milwaukee to Toronto to Montreal for their gig at the Forum that night.

Cole's Winnepeg '70 anecdote, if it is presented correctly here, is worthy of further

examination as we know for certain the guitar was stolen in 1970 enroute to a

concert in Canada. However, it doesn't seem to be entirely accurate (boating down the river) as they were partying at the International Inn Hotel in Winnepeg while the event was moved at 7pm from Winnepeg Stadium to Winnepeg Arena on account of heavy rains.

I can add Peter Grant insisted on being paid in US cash as opposed to Government of Manitoba checks and Ann Stark of the 'Winnepeg Free Press' interviewed the band after the gig at 3am in their hotel (International Inn Hotel) near the airport. There is no talk

of boating in the interview published.

The advert in Rolling Stone was not placed by Jimmy until nearly three years later.

A reproduction of the stolen guitar was issued by the Gibson Custom Shop last year:

http://www.justluxe.com/lifestyle/leisure/article-231997.php

Edited by SteveAJones

(Just a little personal interest in this particular city.....)

Winnipeg was the city that I alway's understood to be the scene of the crime but, the subject has been debated by many over the years. I honestly don't recall seeing the Black Beauty in Vancouver during the spring 70 tour. That's not to say that it wasn't here but I was so taken back by what I was seeing and hearing that some of those details are beyond my recollection :D Rumours of it having gone missing in Vancouver seem rather unlikely to me. They didn't stop in Vancouver during the Summer tour and I've seen reports of the Black Beauty being seen during later dates on the Spring tour

"Don't Even Think About It!"

PageWithBlackBeauty.jpg

Jimmy Page poses with Gibson Custom Shop reproduction of his stolen Black Beauty Guitar

Well, I wouldn't dare :D

Just to go back to my original thought . The original Black Beauty had the three toggle switches but the one in the RAH DVD does not. It makes me wonder if indeed, the original didn't actually go missing in 69

The guitar may have been stolen on April 13th 1970, the day the band was flown from Minneapolis to Milwaukee to Toronto to Montreal for their gig at the Forum that night.

It's buried in the endzone at Lambeau Field B)