Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

And I stand by what I said - having photos taken at someone's grave is treating it as a tourist site, and you HAVE claimed to be the figure in your avavtar - and post Jimmy's addresses etc as your location. I'm afraid you can't then blame ME for pointing this out.

Your certainly entitled to your opinion, but the dead don't mind and neither did Jason,

whom I spoke with the same day. I should think tourists travel primarily for pleasure -

I made a private pilgrimmage to pay my respects.

I've never posted personal addresses here, where I am a guest, as are we all. I certainly have said I am somewhere in my avatar, and that my username is in fact a sigil founded upon a base numeric of ten and the All Seeing Eye.

I am me as you are you...and collaboration is the key.

If it helps they look exactly like the passes Dave has published in his 1980 tour stories.

You'll also find lots of references to Harvey when you re-read them.

Hi Steve & Knebby!

Can either one of you provide an image of the passes that Dave has published in his 1980 tour stories? I'd love to check out the images!

I appreciate everyone's willingness to share their knowledge on Led Zeppelin. For me Steve has provided me with a massive amount of knowledge, information, and images I most likely would have never known.

To Steve, Knebby, & eveyone else. Eye thank you!

As a side note, Steve, thank you so much for assisting me in obtaining more knowledge about the pass. You have my thanks.

Ever onward.

Robert

www.behindthetoys.com

OMG that is hilarious. The guy you are being so rude to has had more contact with Page and Plant than SAJ has had wet dreams about them - whatsmore he is absolutely dead on.

Now, back to the mysteries of the thread - and perhaps ask yourself why the thread you love so much would even exist if Steve knew Jimmy on a "personal" level - he'd just need to directly ask Jimmy for all the answers then, surely? B)

well, since most of us neither stalk or know everybody likethis, we can only take people at face value unless we know any better. being a fan of jimmy page and led zeppelin (not to mention serious interests in hundreds of other things) makes me less interested in who knows who here. this seems to be an ongoing game a select few play, but i can't make myself be interested.

that said, my history of posting on here should speak for itself. the post you quoted isn't the only one i've made here and i genuinely try to bring something to the table as well as be polite when others talk. if you know something and can only hint about it, why say it? or just let us all know so that we can spend more time somewhere else.

i don't want to be jimmy page's neighbor. i just want to hear his music, watch him play his ass off onstage and read about how he came to make his music. is that okay?

i've read great posts by walterwalk and have always enjoyed them (and told him as much before reading your post or writing this one).

if only good buddy's of the members of led zeppelin can slap people around on this forum, then then i guess i'll get hit once in awhile.....

thank you, knebby, may i have another?

beatbo

edit to add: i've never received the impression from reading this thread that steve knew jimmy page. i've always seen his responses to posts as incentive to do a jounalistic huntdown-the hardcore research that most of us appreciate but are so not willing to do.

Edited by beatbo

Have to agree with you Beatbo. I've never thought this thread indicated, Steve had any direct connection to Jimmy and I'd be very suprised if anyone over the age of 14 did. I enjoy the mystery's and I think most who participate, do.

I don't want to get into any bashing here because I have tremendous respect for all party's involved. I think it's safe to say that 99% of the people on this forum feel the same. At least when it comes to Zeppelin related threads. Steve, Knebby and other's including Walterswalk are all capable of producing some outstanding info on the band and have done so on a regular and much appreciated basis.. Speaking for myself, it's alway's enjoyable when they do. I hope that they continue to do so as the history of this band should be recorded properly and shared with everyone who is interested and I think most of us know the difference between respecting privicy and crossing the line.

I'm off to the Hobstweedle thread to see what that new member has to say. Quite a read

Steve, those photos are awesome. I wish I could see the Wolfman without the make-up.

The Wolfman

WolfmanNoHair.jpg

The necktie he's wearing in the shot above seems to match that worn as the Wolfman.

I've had to look at the contact sheets for the last half-hour with a magnifying glass!

Robert, some time ago you were attempting to authenticate a tour bag from 1980 and asked if anyone on the road crew other than Phil Carlo had the initials "PC". So far as I know, only Phil

used those intitials:

Manager

Peter Grant - also invariably referred to as "the fifth member" due to importance he had in directing the group's affairs.

Tour manager

Richard Cole - an experienced tour manager, especially in the United States, from his previous work with The Yardbirds although he was eventually sacked before the Knebworth Festival in 1979 due to his heroin addiction and erratic behaviour.

Phil Carlo - Bad Company's road manager who eventually replaced Richard Cole.

Road crew

Clive Coulson - stage.

Kenny Pickett - stage.

Henry Smith - stage.

Sandy McGregor - stage.

Joe Jammer - guitars.

Raymond Thomas - guitars.

Tim Marten - guitars (1980).

Brian Condliffe - bass and keyboards.

Andy Ledbetter - bass and keyboards (1980).

Mick Hinton - drums and percussion.

Benji Le Fevre - vocal technician.

Ian Knight - lighting.

For their US tours in 1972-75, and then every concert from their 1975 tour onwards Led Zeppelin employed Dallas-based light and sound company Showco:

Donny Kretzchmar - Showco monitoring mixer.

Rusty Brutche - Showco sound engineer.

Kirby Wyatt - Showco lighting engineer.

Allen Branton - Showco engineer.

Joe Crowley - Showco engineer.

Administrative

Bill Harry - publicist (1969-70).

BP Fallon - publicist (1973-74).

Danny Goldberg - US publicist (1973-75).

Rick Hobbs - Jimmy Page's personal assistant.

Rex King - John Bonham's personal assistant.

Brian Gallivan - US tour assistant (1977)

Dave Northover - US tour assistant (1977)

Dennis Sheehan - US tour assistant (1977)

Dave Moulder - Europe tour assistant (1980)

Legal

Steve Weiss - New York attorney.

Joan Hudson Associates - London representative.

i don't want to be jimmy page's neighbor. i just want to hear his music, watch him play his ass off onstage and read about how he came to make his music. is that okay?

And yet, you chose to slap around someone who has contributed well and discretely in the past, in "support" of someone who DOES want to know and discuss every obsessional detail of their lives . :huh:

WW hadn't even attacked SAJ but merely asserted that he does NOT know Jimmy Page personally. He doesn't. That's not an insult. If someone asserted that I may love Stevie Winwood, I may know quite a lot about him, I may even have met him and chatted a couple of times, but I DON'T know him personally - I wouldn't be offended, I wouldn't consider it an insult that people have to leap to my defence about - because its actually the truth. I wouldn't expect someone to then tell them to piss off and accuse them of vomitting a bile of jealousy. Guess that's what made me react as I did. The only reason I even mentioned him knowing P &P was your suggestion that he might be jealous of Steve - which is a million miles from the truth. Sound fair?

Its no secret that Steve and I aren't mates, but we always manage to say what we have to say and move on. Sometimes we even keep quiet about what we would like to say (like my answer to his last post re grave-yard pics) and the world still turns. But things that have gone on in the last couple of pages of this thread speak volumes.

FWIW, sometimes people CAN'T say exactly what they would like to say for all sorts of reasons, and speak up to whatever degree for the good of the forum AND band. If some of us didn't speak up now and again, SAJ might actually be considered as an ultimate Zep expert and mate of the band - and they certainly wouldn't want that. He's a fan with an obsessional interest in detail, no more or less, and I have already said this thread can be very interesting indeed- it can also be creepy. I take it for what it is but I will certainly comment on it when I feel like it.

I also don't think that any of the people I have seen on here who are personal friends of the band have EVER acted like they are the only ones entitled to speak up about things - but by the same token, that status doesn't EXCLUDE them from discussions or stop them from having their own opinions.

Back to topic - I don't think that road crew list is an exhaustive one, Steve.

As for the bag - it probably did belong to Phil, but just to add some other perspective, quite a lot of them were made - not just for band and crew. Maureen Plant's brother was carrying one around in 1983. Robert also had at least two with him on the Honeydrippers first tour in 1981 - here is one backstage at Bradford University with Robbie Blunt in the background - I've edited the pic for privacy.

pk673.jpg

Hope that helps you Sems Fir - and as to what you said - you're welcome.

Edited by Knebby

I'm afraid Dave's original photocopies and subsequent print-runs weren't great quality due to the technological limitations of the day, but I hope this page from TBL5 gives you something like what you were looking for.

pk674.jpg

Interestingly enough, Atlantic did something similar the year before with Page/Plant's 'Walking Into Clarksdale' album, having changed it's original title prior to release from 'Most High' but keeping the original "angelic theme" album graphics.

irrelevant to the thread, but i'd mention that bit of info explains to me the angels on the cover. Thanks so much for the insight, Steve! :-)

The Wolfman

WolfmanNoHair.jpg

The necktie he's wearing in the shot above seems to match that worn as the Wolfman.

I've had to look at the contact sheets for the last half-hour with a magnifying glass!

What can I say Steve? I ask the questions and you always seem to have the answers. Fantastic behind the scenes stuff. Thanks again.

Robert, some time ago you were attempting to authenticate a tour bag from 1980 and asked if anyone on the road crew other than Phil Carlo had the initials "PC". So far as I know, only Phil

used those intitials:

Manager

Peter Grant - also invariably referred to as "the fifth member" due to importance he had in directing the group's affairs.

Tour manager

Richard Cole - an experienced tour manager, especially in the United States, from his previous work with The Yardbirds although he was eventually sacked before the Knebworth Festival in 1979 due to his heroin addiction and erratic behaviour.

Road crew

Clive Coulson - stage.

Kenny Pickett - stage.

Henry Smith - stage.

Sandy McGregor - stage.

Joe Jammer - guitars.

Ian Knight - lighting.

For their US tours in 1972-75, and then every concert from their 1975 tour onwards Led Zeppelin employed Dallas-based light and sound company Showco:

Administrative

Legal

As I recall Joe Crowley was a Concerts West Accountant. ( he's the one who gave me my tee shirt.)

And let's not forget Tom Huellet.

And Tiny Gossen, from Showco.

As well as Dan Fiala from Concerts West.

I have a few pics of the Swan Song crew, I can look but don't know where to post them.

As I recall Joe Crowley was a Concerts West Accountant. ( he's the one who gave me my tee shirt.)

And let's not forget Tom Huellet.

And Tiny Gossen, from Showco.

As well as Dan Fiala from Concerts West.

I have a few pics of the Swan Song crew, I can look but don't know where to post them.

Well they'd fit nicely in this thread

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?sh...mp;hl=Entourage

used those intitials:

Manager

Tour manager

Road crew

Clive Coulson - stage.

Kenny Pickett - stage.

Henry Smith - stage.

Sandy McGregor - stage.

Joe Jammer - guitars.

Ian Knight - lighting.

Administrative

Legal

Not sure what the original enquiry was about the bag with the initials 'PC' on it. Could it be Phil Carson from Atlantic? He was on that tour and even played bass at a few of the gigs?

And yet, you chose to slap around someone who has contributed well and discretely in the past, in "support" of someone who DOES want to know and discuss every obsessional detail of their lives . :huh:

WW hadn't even attacked SAJ but merely asserted that he does NOT know Jimmy Page personally. He doesn't. That's not an insult. If someone asserted that I may love Stevie Winwood, I may know quite a lot about him, I may even have met him and chatted a couple of times, but I DON'T know him personally - I wouldn't be offended, I wouldn't consider it an insult that people have to leap to my defence about - because its actually the truth. I wouldn't expect someone to then tell them to piss off and accuse them of vomitting a bile of jealousy. Guess that's what made me react as I did. The only reason I even mentioned him knowing P &P was your suggestion that he might be jealous of Steve - which is a million miles from the truth. Sound fair?

Its no secret that Steve and I aren't mates, but we always manage to say what we have to say and move on. Sometimes we even keep quiet about what we would like to say (like my answer to his last post re grave-yard pics) and the world still turns. But things that have gone on in the last couple of pages of this thread speak volumes.

FWIW, sometimes people CAN'T say exactly what they would like to say for all sorts of reasons, and speak up to whatever degree for the good of the forum AND band. If some of us didn't speak up now and again, SAJ might actually be considered as an ultimate Zep expert and mate of the band - and they certainly wouldn't want that. He's a fan with an obsessional interest in detail, no more or less, and I have already said this thread can be very interesting indeed- it can also be creepy. I take it for what it is but I will certainly comment on it when I feel like it.

I also don't think that any of the people I have seen on here who are personal friends of the band have EVER acted like they are the only ones entitled to speak up about things - but by the same token, that status doesn't EXCLUDE them from discussions or stop them from having their own opinions.

a bunch of hogwash.

and you decide what's best for the forum AND THE BAND????

and you know all the reasons?

and YOU know what the band wants??

oh my god, if you shook my hand, i may never wash it!!

sounds like you are lucky that you know yourself...

you're welcome to PM any rebuttal or discussion points you can manufacture but i'm off this thread.

Hi Steve & Knebby!

Knebby: Thank you for the image of TBL5! I really appreciate the images and information both you and Steve have provided! Based on the information that you both have provided I'm more optimistic that the laminated pass I picked up may be authentic. Hopefully time will tell.

Steve, thank you for researching and posting some of the list of names that were on the road with the band for the 80 tour! It helps at least a little bit with the claim that it was Phil's tour bag. Thanks Knebby for the vintage picture with the bag! I picked up the bag from Rockaway. I knew the bag was real but wasn't sure about the P.C. initials and it being Phil's bag. Research is key and I'm learning alot from both of you regarding the tour bag and the laminated pass. I posted images of the bag in the memorabilia thread. Just so readers can view the bag in question here's some images of Phil Carlo's tour bag:

Inbag9ac.JPG

Inbag9bag.JPG

Inbag8ac.JPG

Inbag5ac.JPG

Thanks to you both I'm constantly learning new information. Between the images and information just in this thread a fan of Led Zeppelin can learn so much history.

Again, to you both eye thank you!

Robert

www.behindthetoys.com

a bunch of hogwash.

and you decide what's best for the forum AND THE BAND????

and you know all the reasons?

and YOU know what the band wants??

oh my god, if you shook my hand, i may never wash it!!

sounds like you are lucky that you know yourself...

you're welcome to PM any rebuttal or discussion points you can manufacture but i'm off this thread.

Not hogwash at all and I think you completely misread the post which Knebby was absolutely in no way touting herself. How can you say that people who are lucky enough to know Robert, Jimmy and/or John Paul should just spill things they've been privvy to and were told in confidence just because fans are curious? It's honoring friendships. Would you blab things your friends told you to others if you were told in confidence? I don't think so, or rather I hope you wouldn't. Personally I'm glad people who do know them act in the manner they do.

Edited by ninelives

Not sure what the original enquiry was about the bag with the initials 'PC' on it. Could it be Phil Carson from Atlantic? He was on that tour and even played bass at a few of the gigs?

Phil Carson did join the tour briefly, but as a guest as opposed to a member of the crew, whom were issued the bags. I've since pointed out to Robert via PM the auctioneer is also offering an '88 tour credentials pass with Phil Carlo's name on it and there is ample

evidence to suggest both items came from the same Houston-based collector.

Road crew

Joe Jammer - guitars.

I think Joe "Jammer" Wright only was with the band for the 1969 tours, and left to start his own career. I've met him before, and he is an incredible guitarist himself. He started out as an in-house guy for the Kinetic Circus in Chicago, and got to work with Jimi Hendrix and the The Who among others. He's out-dueled Joe Perry of Aerosmith in a cutting contest. He's done session work for countless stars.

He was managed by Peter Grant for a while and can recall many stories of "G" (Peter Grant), as well as the four lads.

He never hit the "big time," but he continues to this day seems to be at his happiest jamming on his guitar.

Joe Jammer info