Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Phil Carson did join the tour briefly, but as a guest as opposed to a member of the crew, whom were issued the bags. I've since pointed out to Robert via PM the auctioneer is also offering an '88 tour credentials pass with Phil Carlo's name on it and there is ample

evidence to suggest both items came from the same Houston-based collector.

I've pointed out earlier in this thread that it wasn't only crew and band who were issued bags. And if Phil Carson wanted a bag, he would have gotten one. That said, as I said earlier I always felt it was probably Carlo's anyway.

Beatbo - I don't have any inclination to "manufacture" a response to you re all this - I think I've already made myself perfectly clear and if you want to be arsey about it nothing I say is gonna make any difference anyway. See you around the forum. ;)

I've pointed out earlier in this thread that it wasn't only crew and band who were issued bags. And if Phil Carson wanted a bag, he would have gotten one. That said, as I said earlier I always felt it was probably Carlo's anyway.

I don't disagree that anyone can have hypothetically been given a bag. However, given the auctioneer had a Led Zeppelin guest pass and an Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary

concert pass belonging to Phil Carlo, the odds are the bag is also Carlo's.

Mystery Photo:

Earlier tonight I found this photo at the bottom of a crate in the archive:

1980.jpg

Photo courtesy of Steve A. Jones Archive

I have no idea where it was taken or when. The only clue is it says "Print Made by Kodak Mar 1980" on the back and there seems to be a ticket or pass in/on his pocket. As you know, this only establishes when it was developed, not when it was actually taken. This is all I could come up with for the six months prior to March 1980:

10/30/79 Plant and Page attend a Supertramp concert at Wembley Arena

11/1/79 Plant and Page attend a second Supertramp concert at Wembley Arena

11/10/79 The Zeppelin entourage take a block booking for Abba concert at Wembley Arena

11/25/79 Plant leads Power Plant to semi-finals in 'The Sun'/Goaldiggers five-a-side soccer competition (plays three matches)

11/28/79 Plant, Jones, Grant and Bonham and Cole attend the 'Melody Maker' Poll Awards reception at the Waldorf Hotel in London and receive seven awards

12/29/79 Plant, Bonham, and Jones participate in Paul McCartney's Concert for the People of Kampuchea at the Odeon in Hammersmith, London

1/16/80 Plant and Clapton (among others) attend reception launching 'The Summit', album aiding "International Year Of The Child" in London (venue unconfirmed). Plant also

grants an interview to Richard Skinner for broadcast on BBC Radio One's 'Newsbeat'

2/3/80 Plant attends Rockpile gig and joins them for an onstage jam at Top Rank in

Birmingham

2/5/80 Plant attends Rockpile gig at Keele University in Wales but does not perform

Any help in confirming where this photo was actually taken would be most appreciated.

Edited by SteveAJones

Mystery Photo:

Earlier tonight I found this photo at the bottom of a crate in the archive:

1980.jpg

Photo courtesy of Steve A. Jones Archive

I have no idea where it was taken or when. The only clue is it says "Print Made by Kodak Mar 1980" on the back and there seems to be a ticket or pass in/on his pocket. As you know, this only establishes when it was developed, not when it was actually taken. This is all I could come up with for the six months prior to March 1980:

10/30/79 Plant and Page attend a Supertramp concert at Wembley Arena

11/1/79 Plant and Page attend a second Supertramp concert at Wembley Arena

11/10/79 The Zeppelin entourage take a block booking for Abba concert at Wembley Arena

11/25/79 Plant leads Power Plant to semi-finals in 'The Sun'/Goaldiggers five-a-side soccer competition (plays three matches)

11/28/79 Plant, Jones, Grant and Bonham and Cole attend the 'Melody Maker' Poll Awards reception at the Waldorf Hotel in London and receive seven awards

12/29/79 Plant, Bonham, and Jones participate in Paul McCartney's Concert for the People of Kampuchea at the Odeon in Hammersmith, London

1/16/80 Plant and Clapton (among others) attend reception launching 'The Summit', album aiding "International Year Of The Child" in London (venue unconfirmed). Plant also

grants an interview to Richard Skinner for broadcast on BBC Radio One's 'Newsbeat'

2/3/80 Plant attends Rockpile gig and joins them for an onstage jam at Top Rank in

Birmingham

2/5/80 Plant attends Rockpile gig at Keele University in Wales but does not perform

Any help in confirming where this photo was actually taken would be most appreciated.

Steve that looks like the outfit he wore for the Rock for Kampuchia show.

It's a perfect match. Thank you very much, Paul!

That was the first thing I thought of. Not because I remember seeing the show on TV with my sister, when everyone was starved for Zep news, but I just saw the Dave Edmonds youtube link the other day on these boards.

great song.

Steve, thank you for all the pieces so far...I really loved the Military Fashion of the 60's and Adolph Hitler Historic Piece...fascinating indeed. Your hard work and dedication to the Mysteries thread is always, always... loved, valued and much appreciated. I have so far enjoyed and gained knowledge from the entire history of this thread...again, thank you ever so much. So many of my questions have already been answered in this thread...You never know, so many may arise.....either way, fascinating.....

Thank you...

.........Disguised in the attire of Saints, our deeds witness the world at play.....

Edited by PlanetPage

Steve,my search came up empty and it's something I don't recollect,but...

Are there any published interviews or snippets by the parents of the members of Led Zeppelin upon having witnessed a Led Zeppelin concert? Their thoughts on the enormity of the Led Zeppelin machine, ... did they realize how huge Led Zeppelin was, and how were they as parents affected? Did any of the band's parents ever see a concert in North America?

Steve,my search came up empty and it's something I don't recollect,but...

Are there any published interviews or snippets by the parents of the members of Led Zeppelin upon having witnessed a Led Zeppelin concert? Their thoughts on the enormity of the Led Zeppelin machine, ... did they realize how huge Led Zeppelin was, and how were they as parents affected? Did any of the band's parents ever see a concert in North America?

So far as I know there are none published, with the exception of Robert's father whom told the press assembled at Kidderminster Airport words to the effect of "all this fame and fortune, what is it worth compared to the love of family" as he waited for Robert's

return following Karac's tragic death.

Robert said his father became more aware of Led Zeppelin's success having read about

them in an issue of Financial Times. I should think word of Led Zeppelin having broken the Beatles record at Tampa in 1973 would have been received by all the parents, but

no specific comments have been published. Bonham was of course filmed on one of his

father's construction sites in the Led Zeppelin film The Song Remains The Same.

So far as I know none of their parents ever attended a North American concert (Joe

Baldwin (JPJ's father) passed away in '72). Jimmy's father, James, attended at least

one of the Knebworth '79 concerts and his mother, Patricia, was at the 02 reunion.

Perhaps their first real indication of Jimmy's musical success was when he purchased

the boathouse in Pangbourne and moved out. :lol: Bonzo's mother Joan attended a couple Led Zeppelin conventions in London back in the 90s; during one of them Bonzo's brother Mick, sister Debbie and daughter Zoe performed together (I have it all on film).

I'll have to look further into my own files for any other instances of their parents having attended their gigs or made public comments concerning the group's success.

Edited by SteveAJones

JPJ's dad died in 8/70. A few shows were rescheduled or cancelled due to this. Dave Lewis' The Concert File backs this up.

You are correct. The perils of posting off the top of one's head!

The first eight dates of the August '70 tour were postponed to allow JPJ to remain

at his father's side. Ultimately, JPJ joined the group for a concert in New Haven, CT

on 8/15/70. The 8/26/70 concert showtime for the Public Hall in Cleveland was moved up from 8:30pm to 5:30pm to allow JPJ to return to England. The 8/27/70 concert set

for the Milwaukee Arena was postponed the morning of on account of the death of JPJ's father the night before. The next concert was Winnepeg Arena on 8/29/70.

They then performed in Milwaukee on 8/31/70.

You are correct. The perils of posting off the top of one's head!

The first eight dates of the August '70 tour were postponed to allow JPJ to remain

at his father's side. Ultimately, JPJ joined the group for a concert in New Haven, CT

on 8/15/70. The 8/26/70 concert showtime for the Public Hall in Cleveland was moved up from 8:30pm to 5:30pm to allow JPJ to return to England. The 8/27/70 concert set

for the Milwaukee Arena was postponed the morning of on account of the death of JPJ's father the night before. The next concert was Winnepeg Arena on 8/29/70.

They then performed in Milwaukee on 8/31/70.

no worries man, you are still the champ of Zep minutiae

Here a tough one Steve. I'm an old-school wrestling fan so I'm curious have you seen any footage or photos of Peter Grant from his wrestling days. I believe he wore a mask too. I'd love to see that.

Here a tough one Steve. I'm an old-school wrestling fan so I'm curious have you seen any footage or photos of Peter Grant from his wrestling days. I believe he wore a mask too. I'd love to see that.

I myself have never seen any photographs or film from Peter's wrestling days. Something like that could possibly be in the possession of his daughter, Helen, or his son, Warren, but they don't appear to be active members here and I don't have any direct contact details. You may recall last year numerous furnishings, antiques and paintings Peter had collected were sold at auction.

I myself have never seen any photographs or film from Peter's wrestling days. Something like that could possibly be in the possession of his daughter, Helen, or his son, Warren, but they don't appear to be active members here and I don't have any direct contact details. You may recall last year numerous furnishings, antiques and paintings Peter had collected were sold at auction.

ok, so was the last wrestling match,sans mask ,in the bay area? I could just about picture a toe to toe in every city on the tours due to the massiveness of what Led Zeppelin had become. I would venture the band's security detail had to be on top of things 24 hours a day, and then some.

ok, so was the last wrestling match,sans mask ,in the bay area? I could just about picture a toe to toe in every city on the tours due to the massiveness of what Led Zeppelin had become. I would venture the band's security detail had to be on top of things 24 hours a day, and then some.

Please disrerard my above post. Off topic and not relevant to Wolfman's query and SAJ 's reply. Apologies to to all.

Steve, I swore I read something where someone (I forget who) from the Yes camp claimed that after the XYZ recordings, Peter Grant showed up at their door demanding the master tapes. When that person refused, Peter stuck a lit cigar in his hand till the guy gave the tapes to him. I'm guessing this is bullocks. Any truth to it?

Also, while I'm at it. What was the deal with the supposed Zep rehearsals when they considered touring with Tony Thompson? I know Tony had a car wreck and that was that. Where they really that close to doing a tour? Where these rehearsals recorded and if so, have you ever heard them? Everything I've read is pretty vague. Any juicy details would be appreciated.

And it was funny at that time because he'd been so affected by John Bonham dying, he was even smoking cigarettes through a cigarette holder. Mr. Clean at the time! It was, like, quite peculiar. ...

I am not sure that i understood what chris have said

any explenation please

thanks

Sorry to go off topic a bit but when did Glenn sing with Sabbath out of curiosity?

he sung the seventh star album in 1986 and a tour that was ended for glenn abrubtly in 1987 and the unknown by then ray gillen has completed it

as for tommy bolin he and karen were in a relationship that ended soon before tommy's death in 1976 and then by 1977 glenn married her and the marriage has completed till 1984 then karen and glenn got divorced.

sorry i am totally out off zeppelin here :D and out off topic but i am a huge purple fan and a huge glenn hughes fan and a huge black sabbath fan and totally into these three bands and into these people

and totally into their history

but zeppelin just has a special place in my heart ;)

thanks

Edited by tofeee