Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

he sung the seventh star album in 1986 and a tour that was ended for glenn abrubtly in 1987 and the unknown by then ray gillen has completed it

as for tommy bolin he and karen were in a relationship that ended soon before tommy's death in 1976 and then by 1977 glenn married her and the marriage has completed till 1984 then karen and glenn got divorced.

sorry i am totally out off zeppelin here :D and out off topic but i am a huge purple fan and a huge glenn hughes fan and a huge black sabbath fan and totally into these three bands and into these people

and totally into their history

but zeppelin just has a special place in my heart ;)

thanks

Thanks tofeee! I just saw Glenn in concert recently. Stunning show and his voice is as amazing as ever.

Thanks tofeee! I just saw Glenn in concert recently. Stunning show and his voice is as amazing as ever.

Both Glenn and Jon Lord will be playing at the INDIGO2 on 1st. June, and a young mister Plant. :P

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :angry: don't make me angry :( and upset :(

wow i wish that i could see glenn live soon and robert too both are amazing

anyway thanks :D

:console: Sorry :(

never mind pal :D

glad to meet deep purple/glenn hughes fans here :D

back to our topic

can you find to me a proper explenation to what chris squire have siad about pagey :rolleyes:

Steve, I swore I read something where someone (I forget who) from the Yes camp claimed that after the XYZ recordings, Peter Grant showed up at their door demanding the master tapes. When that person refused, Peter stuck a lit cigar in his hand till the guy gave the tapes to him. I'm guessing this is bullocks. Any truth to it?

Also, while I'm at it. What was the deal with the supposed Zep rehearsals when they considered touring with Tony Thompson? I know Tony had a car wreck and that was that. Where they really that close to doing a tour? Where these rehearsals recorded and if so, have you ever heard them? Everything I've read is pretty vague. Any juicy details would be appreciated.

Wolfman, post #2320 of this thread covers the XYZ project fairly well. Have never heard the anecdote concerning Peter Grant and the master tapes. Seems very far-fetched, seeing as they were only rough demos with Jimmy after the demise of Led Zeppelin. Peter had entered a period of blackness by then and I just can't imagine him being

bothered to intervene.

I'm fairly certain I covered the January 1986 rehearsals earlier in this thread as well. Suffice to say they were nowhere near touring, it was merely a case of getting the

three of them together to rehearse with Thompson. As I recall, Thompson was hurt

in a car smash the evening of the second day, so they carried on with roadies filling

in on drums for about a week. Robert had gotten used to being the pilot of the storm

in his own band and expressed frustration with Jimmy for having to fiddle with effects

pedals every five minutes. The whole thing kind of went nowhere and ended with a whimper. If I don't find the details posted previously in this thread I will do so.

Sorry if this has been covered already but was Rob3ert Plant ever asked to join The Yardbirds before 1968..in Februaryish 1967 perhaps?

No way. Neither Jimmy nor Robert nor anyone else in Zep has ever made such a statement. Jimmy says the first he heard of Robert was when Terry Reid suggested him in July 1968.

Keith Relf was certainly the weakest link of The Yardbirds, but they never would have replaced him with an unknown from the midlands.

No way. Neither Jimmy nor Robert nor anyone else in Zep has ever made such a statement. Jimmy says the first he heard of Robert was when Terry Reid suggested him in July 1968.

Keith Relf was certainly the weakest link of The Yardbirds, but they never would have replaced him with an unknown from the midlands.

Thanks,I didn't suggest that anyone had made such a statement just wondering if it happened. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Steve, Where were the 1979 pictures taken the cornfield pics(the 1st photo shoot)

LedZeppelin1979.jpg

Cecil, they were taken in the festival field adjacent to Knebworth House in August 1979.

The band were booked into the Roebuck Hotel & arrived around 6pm on August 2nd for

a soundcheck lasting less than an hour. I don't have the soundcheck photos in front of me at the moment but those may well substantiate these were taken just beforehand.

If not, they were taken no later than August 12th (after the second festival date) as the band had all departed Knebworth House by that morning.

It's well known the image above was used to promote In Through The Out Door, but

lesser known is that the sky has been airbrushed by Hipgnosis to appear far less dull and overcast than it really was. There are so few offstage photos of them from '79 they had little choice but to use what was available.

Steve - well I think it is safe to say they were definitely taken before August 12th, as they were the official Knebworth publicity shots, and used in the official Knebworth programme and posters sold at the venue on both dates (4th and 11th) .

I would say that in order to get the programme (and posters) ready on time they were in fact taken long before the dates you have suggested, certainly not in August.

Edited by Knebby

Steve - well I think it is safe to say they were definitely taken before August 12th, as they were the official Knebworth publicity shots, and used in the official Knebworth programme and posters sold at the venue on both dates (4th and 11th) .

I would say that in order to get the programme (and posters) ready on time they were in fact taken long before the dates you have suggested, certainly not in August.

:unsure: ...a good, no great, point. I've got to look into this further towards a confirmed date and location.

Edit: The photo call was held in early June in the fields adjacent to Knebworth House. Clarification came via Dave Lewis' Led Zeppelin Celebration II starting on pg 54:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Q2vLCdjw9...snum=4#PPA54,M1

Edited by SteveAJones

One of my favorite non stage Led Zeppelin group photos regardless of the date it was taken.I have a magazine with the photo. The caption below the photo says something like,"will the weeds be chest high before the next Led Zeppelin album?"

One of my favorite non stage Led Zeppelin group photos regardless of the date it was taken.I have a magazine with the photo. The caption below the photo says something like,"will the weeds be chest high before the next Led Zeppelin album?"

A favorite of mine as well and the best caption I've ever seen for it was:

Led Zeppelin Still Outstanding In Their Field

Plant Out Fanzine

There was a b&w Japanese Robert Plant fanzine titled Plant Out running for seven issues

from circa 1984 to Feb 1986 and published by Kayko Kato of Nagasaki, Japan. If anyone

has a copy of this fanzine or can put me in touch with Kayko please contact me. Thanks!

Edited by SteveAJones

:unsure: ...a good, no great, point. I've got to look into this further towards a confirmed date and location.

Edit: The photo call was held in early June in the fields adjacent to Knebworth House. Clarification came via Dave Lewis' Led Zeppelin Celebration II starting on pg 54:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Q2vLCdjw9...snum=4#PPA54,M1

Thanks for the link Steve- it saved me from asking if the photo shoot was done on 2 different days as some are wearing different clothes.

These photos have always been one of my favorites of the band in their later years.

Thanks for the link Steve- it saved me from asking if the photo shoot was done on 2 different days as some are wearing different clothes.

These photos have always been one of my favorites of the band in their later years.

Hi Stargroves. Just thought I'd mention there's a recent update to the Robert Plant Concert Chronology that may be of interest as I seem to recall we attempted to confirm

where you saw him perform in July '88. At the time I showed two shows at MSG in NYC on 7/28 & 7/29, but ticket stubs have surfaced to confirm he played Nassau Coliseum on 7/28 & MSG on 7/29. I believe you said you thought you'd seen him at the Nassau Coliseum. The opening act was Cheap Trick.

Hi Stargroves. Just thought I'd mention there's a recent update to the Robert Plant Concert Chronology that may be of interest as I seem to recall we attempted to confirm

where you saw him perform in July '88. At the time I showed two shows at MSG in NYC on 7/28 & 7/29, but ticket stubs have surfaced to confirm he played Nassau Coliseum on 7/28 & MSG on 7/29. I believe you said you thought you'd seen him at the Nassau Coliseum. The opening act was Cheap Trick.

Steve, it's funny you should bring this up- I was cleaning out stuff over the weekend & found a bunch of my old ticket stubs, including the Plant shows at Nassau on 7/28 & MSG on 7/29. Cheap Trick is listed on the MSG stub but not the Nassau one, but they opened both shows. At MSG there was a guy a few rows in front of us that was going crazy for Cheap Trick, waving & singing along- and when they left the stage he disappeared & didn't come back for Robert's show!

(I also have the stub for Jimmy's show at Nassau on 10/28/88, Mason Ruffner opened but is not listed on the stub)

LedZeppelin1979.jpg

Do I dare even attempt to post the , um, alternate take of this pics?!!!

Nah, best not tempt fate!!!

Steve do you have an anecdote as to why the tensions were so high that day ...enough to get Plant to take desperate measures to try to elevate the spirits?

Steve do you have an anecdote as to why the tensions were so high that day ...enough to get Plant to take desperate measures to try to elevate the spirits?

You know you are getting a little jaded when the photogs have to bring strippers to keep you amused!!

I never heard there were tensions for the photo shoot. If there were, my guesses are:

--Bonzo mad as he did not know everyone else was going to show up as a fashionista.

--Percy had to wear a tie (I don't think I've ever seen him wear one before or since).

--Funny thing about Jimmy & His Hair, riding in a convertible to the shoot. What was it that Grant used to call him behind his back when Pagey used to primp his hair in the mirror??

--Jonesy was worried the strippers might be from New Orleans and/or were transvestites.

:D

Edited by dpat

Do I dare even attempt to post the , um, alternate take of this pics?!!!

Nah, best not tempt fate!!!

Hello, Nech. Ah, yes, that infamous outtake with Robert's trouser snake on full display.

It probably is a bit too racy for this board, but the ladies are sure to love it. Unaware

of any specific anecdote aside from Jimmy's hair getting mussed up on the way down

in Richard Cole's roadster. All were clearly amused, whatever the reason for dropping

his pants.

Percy wears a tie similar to the Kentucky Colonel tie in the Little By Little video. A bit more formal though. He'll probably wind up moving to Tennessee.

Not likely on the moving to Tennessee. I do appreciate all the positive attention and publicity he has brought to the Americana scene. Although album sales are flat or down, depending on genre, Americana album and ticket sales have increased since Raising Sand. I fully credit Plant for most of that increase. But there are no indications here in Nashville that he plans to relocate here.

For those that are interested in the growth of Americana during the past year, here is a link to a recent statement from Americana Music Association CEO Jed Hilly:

http://www.cybergrass.com/modules.php?name...le&sid=6317

Edited by Kentuckygirl