The Who Thread

blackdog

I tend to be more of a fan of bands in their first two or so years. Certainly I favor Zeppelin in 68-71. Once I understand the basics, I move outward to the rest of their stuff... it seems more logical that way.

So I thought thats what was going on with me not liking The Who (I tried starting it off with Tommy, which IMO isn't all that great). So I went out and bought their first two albums yesterday and gave them a listen... I think they might grow on me yet. Maybe I just needed to contact their roots? P.S., per people's suggestion I also bought Quadrophenia, but haven't listened yet.

Thanks for the help guys!

You already have Quad, so I'd recommend getting the following in the order listed:

1) Who's Next (if you can, get the deluxe edition)

2) Live At Leeds (again, if possible get the deluxe edition)

3) Tommy (again... deluxe)

4) The Who Sell Out

5) The Who By Numbers

Ok! It seems I have to ask my beloved grandparents for a little favour... <_<

Dunno, but I get more torn into this music every day.

:cheer: :cheer:

Oh...what's so special about the deluxe editions?

Edited by lucyinthesky

Oooh, another Ox lover. Got any of his solo work, jimmie ray?

No - but that's a hell of a good idea for me to follow up on. I tend to not buy anything I haven't yet gotten a sample of previously, and I haven't heard any solo Entwistle from any source - or even had a clue he offered any. I'm sure the guy could just stand there alone, and still deliver...

Ok! It seems I have to ask my beloved grandparents for a little favour... <_<

Dunno, but I get more torn into this music every day.

:cheer: :cheer:

Oh...what's so special about the deluxe editions?

There's several reasons why you should aim for those.

1) The deluxe editions come from the best possible sources (a problem with earlier releases). These are far richer, resonant mixes. The best available remasters.

2) There is a cavalcade of great extra tracks on all deluxe editions (not just the Who's, literally ALL).

3) They are very well packaged with great liner notes.

No - but that's a hell of a good idea for me to follow up on. I tend to not buy anything I haven't yet gotten a sample of previously, and I haven't heard any solo Entwistle from any source - or even had a clue he offered any. I'm sure the guy could just stand there alone, and still deliver...

He has several albums. His earlier 70s' work is better than his later music. I suggest getting Smash Your Head Against the Wall. You can probably find samples of it on some site. Like Amazon or sumthin'.

He has several albums. His earlier 70s' work is better than his later music. I suggest getting Smash Your Head Against the Wall. You can probably find samples of it on some site. Like Amazon or sumthin'.

pick up 'who's the bass player-the ox anthology'. all the best of his solo stuff with some live versions of ox's who songs.

here's his website:http://www.johnentwistle.com/

I shall not lie, I thought Smash Your Head Against The Wall was ok, but on the other hand, I thought Pete's "Who Came First" was a lovely album, and "Empty Glass" along with "All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes" were pretty cool rock albums. I wonder if I should give Roger a listen.

I shall not lie, I thought Smash Your Head Against The Wall was ok, but on the other hand, I thought Pete's "Who Came First" was a lovely album, and "Empty Glass" along with "All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes" were pretty cool rock albums. I wonder if I should give Roger a listen.

Roger's first few solo albums aren't for everybody, as they are more Beatles-styled pop than Who-styled rock (and coming from Daltrey, it's strange). For Daltrey beginners, I'd recommend starting with "Under A Raging Moon." At that point he was doing a less raw, safer, yet still interesting version of the Who's sound.

Er... don't know. I guess the one the record store will sell me. It is not the best one.

But there ain't no curefor the Summertime Blues (call it the Who...)

And I infected my sister as well and learn Pinball witard on guitar.

THank you for all your tips.

Hey, it's me again...with another question: :wave:

What is the best Who-biographie? And I don't mean the Hammer Of The Gods kind of book, if you understand what I mean.

The best book in my opinion is Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere. It's co-written by Matt Kent, which for those not in the know means it's AMAZING. It gives you a chapter for each year of their existence (up until Moon's death) and even has day by day logs of their activities. You can't beat it.

Hey, it's me again...with another question: :wave:

What is the best Who-biographie? And I don't mean the Hammer Of The Gods kind of book, if you understand what I mean.

i'd have to say 'before i get old' by dave marsh. he's not my favorite writer but this is his best book and it was pretty much straight from mostly pete's mouth. he had access to everyone in the band, they've never disowned it or acted like they hated it, and it's very sympathetic to keith moon.

fav anecdote from the book:

moon runs into a pub to meet a writer for an interview (after missing some 4 previously scheduled appointments) he's carrying a shoulderbag which he throws on the table, opens and pulls out a hatchet, slams it into the table top and says: 'thats for roger....'aven't seen 'im 'ave you?"

Edited by beatbo

The best book in my opinion is Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere. It's co-written by Matt Kent, which for those not in the know means it's AMAZING. It gives you a chapter for each year of their existence (up until Moon's death) and even has day by day logs of their activities. You can't beat it.

I agree with this kid. I have that, and it's HUGE! Lots of shexxxy pictures of the guys (:P) and a hell of a lot of excellent information. Plus, like he said, co-written by Matt Kent, giving it some credibility.

i'd have to say 'before i get old' by dave marsh. he's not my favorite writer but this is his best book and it was pretty much straight from mostly pete's mouth. he had access to everyone in the band, they've never disowned it or acted like they hated it, and it's very sympathetic to keith moon.

fav anecdote from the book:

moon runs into a pub to meet a writer for an interview (after missing some 4 previously scheduled appointments) he's carrying a shoulderbag which he throws on the table, opens and pulls out a hatchet, slams it into the table top and says: 'thats for roger....'aven't seen 'im 'ave you?"

Huh? Did they fight? Sorry I know so little about them up to now.

Ha!! The Who were extremely volitile, fighting QUITE a bit. Roger was a prick. Pete was and is cranky :P John and Keith "quit" a few times (and made Led Zeppelin, ahem;) ). It's all good :)

Oh yeah, I heard this story. Led Zeppelin with Keith moon instead of Bonzo, strange, but could have been cool too. Anyway, I'm happy, they stayed together. This afternoon I'll order the book!

Heard tommy and Live at Leeds nonstop for the last two days.

This is my cure for the summertime Blues

Oh yeah, I heard this story. Led Zeppelin with Keith moon instead of Bonzo, strange, but could have been cool too. Anyway, I'm happy, they stayed together. This afternoon I'll order the book!

Heard tommy and Live at Leeds nonstop for the last two days.

This is my cure for the summertime Blues

One possibility Jimmy was thinking about was Entwhistle & Moon as the rhythym section, with a singer completing the group. See the line-up that recorded "Beck's Bolero" for something approaching this.

Probably would have been interesting, but luckily this was not to be.

He auditioned another singer (Robert Plant), and asked him if he knew any good drummers. He did.

The Who are now reduced to the Two...and they still fight.

:rolleyes:

OK, let me rephrase that....they have their disagreements.

I heard that they had a big falling-out over the payments for the official bootlegs going to charity, among other things. I'm sure virtually all bands have arguments; it's just that with the Who things could get pretty nasty; especially considering the alcoholic tendancies of Pete and Keith. Didn't Roger punch Keith Moon to the ground once? No doubt he had his reasons.

This reminds me of a story I heard that during one of the Cream reunion gigs in New York, Ginnger Baker started throwing drumsticks at Jack Bruce to get him to shut up...Now there's a couple who have kept up a fued!

OK, let me rephrase that....they have their disagreements.

I heard that they had a big falling-out over the payments for the official bootlegs going to charity, among other things. I'm sure virtually all bands have arguments; it's just that with the Who things could get pretty nasty; especially considering the alcoholic tendancies of Pete and Keith. Didn't Roger punch Keith Moon to the ground once? No doubt he had his reasons.

This reminds me of a story I heard that during one of the Cream reunion gigs in New York, Ginnger Baker started throwing drumsticks at Jack Bruce to get him to shut up...Now there's a couple who have kept up a fued!

It's all in the past though. Everything now is limited to business disagreements. They really do get along now.

Edited by GetTheLedOut