The Who Thread

blackdog

Thirty Years of Maximum R&B Live (on DVD) has been reissued, boasting of three additional songs. However, they omit to say the it is also missing three songs.

This was also done with the Who's Better, Who's Best DVD.

$$$ Hey, let's make a buck...

• 2 weeks later...
Thirty Years of Maximum R&B Live (on DVD) has been reissued, boasting of three additional songs. However, they omit to say the it is also missing three songs.

This was also done with the Who's Better, Who's Best DVD.

Yeah I think the Tanglewood 1970 was omitted..what a burn..Great performance. Edited by bonzovonludwig

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Could some kind soul post a link to The Who's bulletin board? Not the one from the official website, there's another that's more a fan site. I forgot the name of it, sorry.

Regards;

www.longliverock.org could be what you want.

I like The Who. One of my favorite bands. I was really surprised when I first heard the band playing. My favorite album is Who's Next. I think all members had and still have something special and unique in their playing and performing. In my opinion, definitely one of the best and most important bands of all time. The Who rocks. :D

The Who is one of my favorite band ever! I know all the words to Pinball Wizard. Second greatest band ever. Of course you know who the first is! :D

Let me take a guess...Maybe Jonas brothers or something?

'Cause I know 100% Led Zeppelin can't be your favorite. :P;)

Any Who fans on here? Like Zep, Beatles, Stones, I've been a Who fan also for many years.

I got a chance to see them again last year (in Atlanta) when they toured the US. Although The Who

are now "the 2", they still put on a great show and are better than most younger acts out today, IMHO.

I did get to see The Who twice before Keith Moon died (in the early 70's) and the original lineup

was amazing live. Their energy was unmatched. And yes, Pete is still doing those windmills!

im a huge Who fane, i saw them when thay were in NJ.

I think its really cool that John Entwistle and Keith Moon almost left the Who to join a band with Jimmy Page because Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey were alwas fighting. and in one of the jams with Page one of them sed if thay sated a band it would "go down like a LedZeppelin" i dont no witch one sed it i cant find a stedy ancer, but thats how Zep got thare name

• 2 months later...

Pete Townshend Writing New Musical, Songs Headed for Who LP

29817088-29817089-slarge.jpg

Photo: Jelonek/WireImage

Pete Townshend updated his page on the Who’s official Website yesterday to alert fans that he’s currently working on a new musical titled Floss, “an ambitious new project for me, in the style of Tommy and Quadrophenia.” Townshend wrote, “In this case the songs are interspersed with surround-sound ’soundscapes’ featuring complex sound-effects and musical montages. Several of the more conventional songs from Floss will be featured on a forthcoming Who recording for release in 2010.”

According to Townshend, Floss tells the story of Walter, an aging rocker who retires after one of his songs becomes the anthem of a TV commercial. Walter becomes a house-husband to his wife, the title character Floss, who is devoted to riding stables. After a 15-year break from music, Walter decides to become a rocker again, and finds that the songs he writes “evoke the ecologically rooted, apocalyptic mindset of his generation.” That and personal difficulties lead to an estrangement from Floss, but the two are reunited after an event at an emergency hospital ward. The subject matter is light years away from being the deaf, dumb and blind pinball wizard of Tommy or the schizophrenia and Mods vs. Rockers conflict of Quadrophenia, but Floss reflects where Townshend is now as he approaches age 64.

Floss “touches on the current issues faced by the Boomer generation. It also addresses their uneasy relationship with their parents, children and grandchildren,” Townshend writes. “As a 19 year old — with “My Generation” — I wrote the most explicitly ageist song in rock. At 64, I now want to take on aging and mortality, using the powerfully angry context of rock & roll.”

Townshend adds that Floss will make its debut in concert in 2011. While the date and venue have not yet been determined, Townshend says he’s already talking with producers in New York. Townshend adds that his sole focus is on Floss while Roger Daltrey is on the road for his own solo tour.

Edited by Jahfin

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

In terms of 'serious' rock bands, I think Zep are rivalled only by The Who. I found a 6 CD set of Pete's demos from 64-78 last year, and it's an astonishing body of work, especially from 1970-73. Anyway, they showed a documentary last night over here, can't remember what it was called, but it's a recent one. It got me thinking about a story I heard shortly after John's death. We we TOLD it involved coke & hookers. But I have it on good authority that, in an end-of-the-session quest for the 'Ultimate Hit', John ripped a gas-pipe off the wall and started huffing on it. Apparently, Yank gas can get you HIGH. Has anyone else heard this tale? And can anyone confirm or refute the mind-blowing powers of Yank gas?

Well I can't speak for "Yank gas" but I do remember an announcement made on The Who newsgroup about his death a couple of months before JE actually died. You have to take everything said on Usenet with a grain of salt but I found it odd. I still do, considering what eventually happened.

For the record I don't think American gas is any different that British gas...........but I may be wrong lol.

In terms of 'serious' rock bands, I think Zep are rivalled only by The Who. I found a 6 CD set of Pete's demos from 64-78 last year, and it's an astonishing body of work, especially from 1970-73. Anyway, they showed a documentary last night over here, can't remember what it was called, but it's a recent one. It got me thinking about a story I heard shortly after John's death. We we TOLD it involved coke & hookers. But I have it on good authority that, in an end-of-the-session quest for the 'Ultimate Hit', John ripped a gas-pipe off the wall and started huffing on it. Apparently, Yank gas can get you HIGH. Has anyone else heard this tale? And can anyone confirm or refute the mind-blowing powers of Yank gas?

Zepp are rivaled only by the Who? you must add the Beatles, the Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd to that list for sure. I have always referred to Zeppelin, the Who , the Stones and Beatles as the "big four". But I must add Pink Floyd to that list now and perhaps the Eagles too. They are all great and larger than life. Nobody can argue that.

Zepp are rivaled only by the Who? you must add the Beatles, the Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd to that list for sure. I have always referred to Zeppelin, the Who , the Stones and Beatles as the "big four". But I must add Pink Floyd to that list now and perhaps the Eagles too. They are all great and larger than life. Nobody can argue that.

I don't think of the Beatles as a 'rock' band. And I don't think of the Stones as a 'serious' rock band. More of a partying band.

Floyd were 'serious', but only made about 3 great albums.

The Eagles? :blink: Are you having a bubble, my man?

Any Who fans on here? Like Zep, Beatles, Stones, I've been a Who fan also for many years.

I got a chance to see them again last year (in Atlanta) when they toured the US. Although The Who

are now "the 2", they still put on a great show and are better than most younger acts out today, IMHO.

I did get to see The Who twice before Keith Moon died (in the early 70's) and the original lineup

was amazing live. Their energy was unmatched. And yes, Pete is still doing those windmills!

Yeh i`m a big Who fan and i got into Zeppelin because of The Who , i like The Stones , The Kinks , Black Sabbath , Pink Floyd , Bad Company , AC/DC , Iron Maiden , Metallica.