The Who Thread

blackdog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7PMbw-qqac&feature=related I-Bash 1999 MGM Grand Garden,L.V.

Image99.jpg I paid 10 bucks to see The Who play the I-Bash in 1999 at the MGM Grand!! That was Vegas' way of "giving back" to the people by having a cheap ticket price for a top act. I remember John Paul Jones was going to play the last date of his "Zooma" tour the next day at the House Of Blues there in Vegas, I wanted to go but had to be back to work the next day(Monday), I still regret missing it. That was a hot weekend.

Edited by luvlz2

Speaking of the song "Bargain". I heard Pete introduce an acoustic version of the song on XM. He went into a little more depth about what the song is about.

The "Bargain" so to speak, is finding God. It gave me a new appreciation of the song.

I'd gladly lose me to find you

I'd gladly give up all I had

To find you I'd suffer anything and be glad

I'd pay any price just to get you

I'd work all my life and I will

To win you I'd stand naked, stoned and stabbed

I'd call that a bargain

The best I ever had

The best I ever had

I'd gladly give up all I got

To catch you I'm gonna run and never stop

I'd pay any price just to win you

Surrender my good life for bad

To find you I'm gonna drown an unsung man

I'd call that a bargain

The best I ever had

The best I ever had

I sit looking 'round

I look at my face in the the mirror

I know I'm worth nothing without you

In life one and one don't make two

One and one make one

And I'm looking for that free ride to me

I'm looking for you

I'd gladly give up all I got

To catch you I'm gonna run and never stop

I'd pay any price just to win you

Surrender my good life for bad

To find you I'm gonna drown an unsung man

I'd call that a bargain

The best I ever had

The best I ever had

I have been listening to The Who for a long time. They were one of the bands that really made me listen to real music. Since the first time I've listen one of The Who's songs (I think was Pinball Wizard) I became a huge fan of them. Because of the music, and the way they played (and still do). They are one of the best bands in the world, and that is a fact :D

My dad loves them but I somehow haven't got into them yet.......

Listen to Who's Next. Wont get fooled again, Behind Blue Eyes, Teenage wasteland (Baba Oreilly) and Ill tell you its on the top five of all time list. It is a great album and so too are Quadrophenia and Tommy. Great great albums. Who are you is good too, but the old stuff is better. The Who to me is in the top four of all time category. Zeppelin, Who, Beatles, Stones, and then Floyd and Eagles. It would not be right though for them to play without Entshistle. Takiing him and Moon away is even more of a loss to that band than Bonzo for Led Zeppelin. Because they lost two great great musicians. I have Entwistle tied with JPJ as the top two bass players in rock history. Sorry Paul. And Moon is clearly the second best drummer. By far and away.

Listen to Who's Next. Wont get fooled again, Behind Blue Eyes, Teenage wasteland (Baba Oreilly) and Ill tell you its on the top five of all time list. It is a great album and so too are Quadrophenia and Tommy. Great great albums. Who are you is good too, but the old stuff is better. The Who to me is in the top four of all time category. Zeppelin, Who, Beatles, Stones, and then Floyd and Eagles. It would not be right though for them to play without Entshistle. Takiing him and Moon away is even more of a loss to that band than Bonzo for Led Zeppelin. Because they lost two great great musicians. I have Entwistle tied with JPJ as the top two bass players in rock history. Sorry Paul. And Moon is clearly the second best drummer. By far and away.

Who's Next is a good album, but I prefer My Generation, Sellout and A Quick One.

The Who are an alright band to me. They did some songs I like, but I'm not overly enthusiastic about them.

An all right band? Ok. Yeah sure. Ass kickiin great all right band. And have the numbers to back it up. Are you kidding me? Who's Next is a classic by the way swede. Nobody would pick those albums you mentioned over Whos Next. Quadrophenia and Tommy are huge success;'s too. All right. That is an insult Electro. All right my ass. The fucking Who? Are you for real? That is like saying the Beatles or Led Zeppelin are all right. Or Pink Floyd is all right. They are all great bands.

I have never seen anyone get their underwear wedged in their ass over someone's opinion more than you.

It's hysterical.

I'm very "meh" on The Who. They did some songs I like, I have Who's Next, but that's it. They aren't a favorite, but they don't suck either.

You can't handle that? Cry me a river, build me a bridge and then get over it.

Who's next is their absolute masterpiece, and one of the best albums in Rock history(I think The Song is Over is my favourite Who song).

Thanks. Your damn right its a masterpiece and one of the best ever. Top five for sure. My top five are Led zeppelin IV, Who's Next, Dark Side of the Moon, zepp II or PG and Quadrophenia. WTF. Insult after insult. Just to get my ass going. Ah shit. Put Hot Rocks in there too (Stones greatest hits) and the red and blue by Beatles. Now we have it. Got that Liz? Now go listen to three songs off Quadrophenia. The Real Me, Dr Jimmy and 5 and 15. And then tell me what you think. And then Tommy. Starting with Its a Boy. Its great great music

"Why should I care? Why should I care" (

Edited by silvermedalist

I dislike their sound on many levels (and, believe me, I listened entire albums in order to find out what's the catch). But no, the first impression stands: I don't like Daltrey's voice (it's like he sings inside a barrel), I don't like the fact that the songs are constructed (manufactured- it seems to me) starting from a simple melody and overloading it with drum frenzy/bass/power chords, one on top of the other. Most of the times it's cacophony for my ears.

Usually I wouldn't have said this things in a Who thread, but I don't want that those who "don't get it" have the impression that is something wrong with themselves.

Heck, I even wonder if, without the instrument smashing and all the live circus they would have been noticed on the music scene in the first time.

I dislike their sound on many levels (and, believe me, I listened entire albums in order to find out what's the catch). But no, the first impression stands: I don't like Daltrey's voice (it's like he sings inside a barrel), I don't like the fact that the songs are constructed (manufactured- it seems to me) starting from a simple melody and overloading it with drum frenzy/bass/power chords, one on top of the other. Most of the times it's cacophony for my ears.

Usually I wouldn't have said this things in a Who thread, but I don't want that those who "don't get it" have the impression that is something wrong with themselves.

Heck, I even wonder if, without the instrument smashing and all the live circus they would have been noticed on the music scene in the first time.

So now you are going to insult Townsend? The man can play 7 instruments. And Keith moon and Entwistle have been rated in the top three of thier instruments for many many years. As for you Lizzy, you never gave them a real chance did you? Have you listened to Quad or tommy in their entirety>? Of course you will say yes. But you dont know the old classical music as well as I do. I lived it. I listened all the time. And had to listen to Disco too as it was there. No escape. Some of it was actually good. Better than alof of the garbage I hear now including Green Day.

Want a prime example of a board member attempting to "force" their opinion on others and then, if they don't agree, proceeding to "attack" them? Then, look no further than silvermedalists' posts. Some folks obviously aren't as fond of the Who as others. It doesn't make one person right and another wrong, it means your opinion differs from theirs. You're certainly not going to change opinions by going apeshit on everyone that disagrees with you but it surely does seem to be your modus operandi.

Edited by Jahfin

Thanks. Your damn right its a masterpiece and one of the best ever. Top five for sure. My top five are Led zeppelin IV, Who's Next, Dark Side of the Moon, zepp II or PG and Quadrophenia. WTF. Insult after insult. Just to get my ass going. Ah shit. Put Hot Rocks in there too (Stones greatest hits) and the red and blue by Beatles. Now we have it. Got that Liz? Now go listen to three songs off Quadrophenia. The Real Me, Dr Jimmy and 5 and 15. And then tell me what you think. And then Tommy. Starting with Its a Boy. Its great great music

"Why should I care? Why should I care" (

The red and blue are compilation albums

Whose modus operandi?

Want a prime example of a board member attempting to "force" their opinion on others and then, if they don't agree, proceeding to "attack" them? Then, look no further than silvermedalists' posts. Some folks obviously aren't as fond of the Who as others. It doesn't make one person right and another wrong, it means your opinion differs from theirs. You're certainly not going to change opinions by going apeshit on everyone that disagrees with you but it surely does seem to be your modus operandi.

Silvermedalist

Edited by Rock N' Rollin' Man

Wow! Thanks for the recommendations! :) I'm going to check it out in the order that you mentioned! :D I listened to the song "My Generation" last night on a music channel (I think it was Juice TV or something) which airs classic rock songs late at night...I liked what I heard to be honest and since my tastes in music are really similar to my dad's (when it comes to classic rock that is), I'm pretty sure that The Who is going to become another one of my favourite bands! :D