The Who Thread

blackdog

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently Townshend is going the Rolling Stones route for re-issuing old stuff. Who web boards are all saying the Quadrophenia demos which are part of the soon to be released box set have modern drum tracks mixed in to the original demos that didn't originally contain any drums. That's hard to believe he'd do that but apparently this is the case. Also, the original album is not fully presented in a 5.1 dolby surround mix, just selected tracks. PT is going to offer the entire album at some point in the future in 5.1.............online.

Epic epic fail.

• 1 month later...

...Jimmy Page On This Day archival discussion concerning Pete Townsend visiting Goa/Bombay/India...

http://forums.ledzep.../page__st__1600

Here is the related Original Radio Interview ...

...WNEW Radio Archive Interview The Who talking about their vacations...Pete Townsend talks about visiting Bombay and being recognized....

http://ondemand.stre...ies%20on%20WNEW

.....The Junior Statesman publication from the The Statesman, Kolkata, India '67-'76 also published (now rare) photos posters The Who...The Assistant Secretary releasing my Zeppelin Photos thereof informed me he use to own a Who poster in his younger days...remembering his rock and roll days of youth...

Edited by PlanetPage

Not questioning the Who Experts, but as far as I can recall, the Quad demos included in a 6cd set of PT demos I have ('Genuine Scoop') featured drums of some sort, probably only a drum machine...I could be wrong, I don't have them on my HD anymore, would have to wade through a mountain of cover-less CD-Rs to confirm. I will do this when I finally get around to listening to the new box demos, which I recently acquired. Awesome accompanying book/dissertation, btw.

The biggest complaint is the modern overdubbed drums. I think the original Sea and Sand didn't have any but the box set demo does. Personally speaking the Quad demos from the box are great, the modern overdubbing doesn't bother me really. Townshend brought in a guy to drum on six or seven of the box set demos. It doesn't really stand out as modern drumming really, I think they did a nice job of blending it into the original tapes.

My biggest bitch about the re-issue is they didn't use the original studio mix master tapes instead they re-used the 1996 remix again. To the hardcore that's death lol.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Who are definitely one of my favorite bands. Pete's one of the best songwriters of all time in my opinion. I like his Power Chord playing style too, Keith was an amazing drummer, and John Entwistle's one of my favorite Bassists. I think Roger's a great singer also (in my top 5 favorites).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What are you bumping the thread for exactly?

Most likely because DAS started another thread for the Who. He couldn't find this one because the only search criteria he was using was "The Who". BTW, that's not a criticism, it's just an observation.

Not criticizing just observing, this thread was on page 2 and just posted on 2 weeks prior to the bump.

Anyway, that's cool of Daltrey to do that. Does anyone know if he used a custom mic for all that swinging and banging around he did with it? I seem to remember it being wrapped with something. They certainly were tough on their equipment!

Not criticizing just observing, this thread was on page 2 and just posted on 2 weeks prior to the bump.

Anyway, that's cool of Daltrey to do that. Does anyone know if he used a custom mic for all that swinging and banging around he did with it? I seem to remember it being wrapped with something. They certainly were tough on their equipment!

Black duct tape???????