The Who Thread

blackdog

I don't very much about The Who, so tell me, which is the best CD?

This song is my favourite right now: Wont Get fooled Again

Most people would say Who's Next, and it's definitely great (and my personal favorite). Tommy is almost underrated now as a lot of people have complained about it in recent years. Quad is also great, as is The Who Sell Out.

For a beginner, I'd say go Who's Next, then dive into either Tommy or Quad, and then The Who Sell Out.

I don't have any news on the Keith Moon doc but will say if you ever have a chance to see Ian and the Bump Band, by all means do so.

I'm not exactly sure if it was the 'Bump' band...but I saw Ian play at Waterloo Records in Austin and he had Mark Andes on Bass....He was the bassist for Spirit, back in the day. Looked about 30 ! Must've been the good acid ! :lol:

Hotplant had posted she was a friend of his I believe.....

I do believe so. Not sure. I just know it is totally effing excellent !

Anyone into the members' solo work? Like Entwistle's perhaps?

I have Entwistle's Smash Your Head Against The Wall, Whistle Rhymes, and some bootlegs of him live and in the studio.

For Townshend I have a good selection of his solo albums and bootleg. For Daltrey all I have is a compilation of his solo work (which includes some nice live cuts like his version of Zep's "Rock And Roll" and Springsteen's "Born To Run"). And finally for Moon I have a copy (not the recent re-release however) of Two Sides Of The Moon.

Do Me Good?

I'm not exactly sure if it was the 'Bump' band...but I saw Ian play at Waterloo Records in Austin and he had Mark Andes on Bass....He was the bassist for Spirit, back in the day. Looked about 30 ! Must've been the good acid ! :lol:

It may well have been The Bump Band as Mark Andes was with them when they played here last year. On the left you'll also see "Scrappy" Jud Newcomb, he's on practically every year that comes out of Austin.

ian_mclagan_bump_band_1024.jpg

I'm a big Who fan. By Numbers is a fav and shows Pete at his most introspective. Another great one is Odds and Sods, particularly the remasted one with bonus tracks. And EVERYBODY should own Rough Mix, the LP Pete recorded with Ronnie Lane.

There's a lot of gems on Odds And Sods, such as Pure And Easy, Little Billy and Postcard. It's the Who equivalent of Coda, only more enjoyable in my opinion.

I have Entwistle's Smash Your Head Against The Wall, Whistle Rhymes, and some bootlegs of him live and in the studio.

For Townshend I have a good selection of his solo albums and bootleg. For Daltrey all I have is a compilation of his solo work (which includes some nice live cuts like his version of Zep's "Rock And Roll" and Springsteen's "Born To Run"). And finally for Moon I have a copy (not the recent re-release however) of Two Sides Of The Moon.

Do Me Good?

Do Me Good :P What a song. I don't have the album, but I have heard *that* song... man, how is that album?

I have heard a lot of Entwistle's stuff, but it's impossible to get a hold of actual albums because I can't/don't order over the net (no credit card). Entwistle has by far been my fave member as a solo artist, it's excellent. I have a compilation of Townshends, plus one of his albums on record. And I've heard some of Roger's stuff... no damned thank you. But that's me.

Do Me Good :P What a song. I don't have the album, but I have heard *that* song... man, how is that album?

I have heard a lot of Entwistle's stuff, but it's impossible to get a hold of actual albums because I can't/don't order over the net (no credit card). Entwistle has by far been my fave member as a solo artist, it's excellent. I have a compilation of Townshends, plus one of his albums on record. And I've heard some of Roger's stuff... no damned thank you. But that's me.

Keith's album is good for a laugh, but you aren't missing anything too important if you don't get it. Roger has some good tunes, but his solo career is the least import outside of Moon. Entwistle and Townshend's albums are very good, especially between 71 and 85.

I think Entwistle's sense of humour was fantastic. Right up my alley. Even his Who songs were always my favorite.

He definitely had more to offer the Who in terms of songs than what appears on record. Hell, My Wife was a throwaway song, he had turned it down for his own record so he put it on Who's Next, and it's brilliant.

Most people would say Who's Next, and it's definitely great (and my personal favorite). Tommy is almost underrated now as a lot of people have complained about it in recent years. Quad is also great, as is The Who Sell Out.

For a beginner, I'd say go Who's Next, then dive into either Tommy or Quad, and then The Who Sell Out.

Ok thanks guys...

I'm a big Who fan. By Numbers is a fav and shows Pete at his most introspective. Another great one is Odds and Sods, particularly the remasted one with bonus tracks. And EVERYBODY should own Rough Mix, the LP Pete recorded with Ronnie Lane.
Rough mix, truly an excellent album and like JT says Everybody (every Who fan at least) should own it.

I always enjoyed PT's "Psycho Derelict", although judging by album sales I might have been the only one who did. The all instrumental version without the narration and dialogue works a lot better.

Regards;

I prefer the one with the dialog, but the one that just has the songs (it's not all instrumental though, the vocals are still there) does have a nicer flow.