The Who Thread

blackdog

See link for info about forthcoming release of "The Who At Kilburn 1977" 2 DVD set. Due for November release. It'll also include part of a 1969 show from the London Coliseum.

Kilburn 1977 - I Can't Explain, Substitute, Baba O'Riley, My Wife/Going Mobile, Behind Blue Eyes, Dreaming from the Waist, Pinball Wizard, I'm Free, Tommy's Holiday Camp, Summertime Blues, Shakin' All Over, My Generation, Join Together, Who Are You, Won't Get Fooled Again

London Coliseum 1969 - Heaven and Hell, I Can't Explain, Fortune Teller, Tattoo, Young Man Blues, A Quick One While He's Away, Happy Jack, I'm a Boy, I'm Free, Tommy's Holiday Camp, See Me Feel Me, Summertime Blues, Shakin' All Over, My Generation

The blurb at the link mentions the contents of the second DVD as a complete version of Tommy from the Coliseum show. I can't say for sure if that means audio only or actual footage but I'll try and find out.

Here's a link with a short trailer - The Who at Kilburn 1977

• 2 weeks later...

Posted by Susan Whitall on Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 12:50 AM

The Who step forward to help Detroit

The Who are playing the Palace of Auburn Hills on Oct. 21, and according to promoter Live Nation, the band will donate "all of their earnings" from the concert to Detroit-area charities.

Singer Roger Daltrey said, in a statement: "The first gig we ever played in the U.S. was in Detroit, and we have always had an affinity with this part of the country. Pete and I are very aware of the problems people are having in Michigan and feel we should give something back for all the support we have had over the last 40 years."

The band tapped radio station WCSX-FM (94.7) to help select the local charities: Gleaners Food Bank and Focus: HOPE will receive the money.

There's always been a warm relationship (and several wild incidents) between The Who and southeastern Michigan, but was Detroit really The Who's first U.S. concert? More on that later.

Meanwhile, tickets for The Who, October 21 at The Palace of Auburn Hills, start at $39.50 and go on sale at 10 a.m. this Monday, August 11. Tickets are available at livenation.com, palacenet.com, the Palace box office and Ticket Master.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Any Who fans on here? Like Zep, Beatles, Stones, I've been a Who fan also for many years.

I got a chance to see them again last year (in Atlanta) when they toured the US. Although The Who

are now "the 2", they still put on a great show and are better than most younger acts out today, IMHO.

I did get to see The Who twice before Keith Moon died (in the early 70's) and the original lineup

was amazing live. Their energy was unmatched. And yes, Pete is still doing those windmills!

What's up "blackdog?" I LOVE THE WHO! Who? THE WHO! I only saw the original WHO once at the Oakland Coliseum in the mid 70's. I have seen THE WHO so many times at the Oakland Coliseum that I don't even remember how many times I have seen them live. I have to go through my shoe box and go through my hundreds of ticket stubs and find all of my WHO ticket stubs. Moon The Loon will forever go down in Rock n' Roll history as the craziest son-of-a-bitch ever. I have read THE WHO'S biographies and I am very familiar with Moonie's stories. Like the time THE WHO were banned from every Holiday Inn for life after Moonie was trying to dodge the Police by hitting every car in the parking lot before driving his car into the Holiday Inn swimming pool. Hotel and Motel distruction along with driving cars in the swimming pool, throwing TV sets as well as furniture off the Hotel/Motel roofs as well as the room balconies, bursting water beds from the top story Motels/Hotels causing an unusual flood in the buildings and destroying their instruments at the end of their concerts were nothing new to THE WHO. THE WHO would join the ranks of ZEPPELIN and THE STONES as the craziest Rock n' Rollers OFF STAGE ever. What do you think? ROCK ON!

See link for info about forthcoming release of "The Who At Kilburn 1977" 2 DVD set. Due for November release. It'll also include part of a 1969 show from the London Coliseum.

Kilburn 1977 - I Can't Explain, Substitute, Baba O'Riley, My Wife/Going Mobile, Behind Blue Eyes, Dreaming from the Waist, Pinball Wizard, I'm Free, Tommy's Holiday Camp, Summertime Blues, Shakin' All Over, My Generation, Join Together, Who Are You, Won't Get Fooled Again

London Coliseum 1969 - Heaven and Hell, I Can't Explain, Fortune Teller, Tattoo, Young Man Blues, A Quick One While He's Away, Happy Jack, I'm a Boy, I'm Free, Tommy's Holiday Camp, See Me Feel Me, Summertime Blues, Shakin' All Over, My Generation

The blurb at the link mentions the contents of the second DVD as a complete version of Tommy from the Coliseum show. I can't say for sure if that means audio only or actual footage but I'll try and find out.

Here's a link with a short trailer - The Who at Kilburn 1977

Wow! OMG! This is remarkable. The London 69 show???? Let me drop dead and rise again over this one........

I had no idea, thanks for the information.

Regards;

Alright!!

A new DVD of the FULL Who, before Mooney passed. As far as the '69 content, if they include all of Tommy and the other tunes mentioned, that's nearly a complete concert of it's own. I MUCH MORE look forward to that part. The Who at the Isle of Wight 1970 is great. The early years were easily the best.

Further to the Kilburn DVD -

As far as I can tell the footage from the Coliseum 1969 is split into two parts because there are two separate film sources ... the better quality source will make up the 'main' Coliseum feature and the bonus Tommy sequence will comprise of a slightly grainier source. I think the idea was to keep them separate for aesthetic reasons as they couldn't restore the Tommy footage to the standard of the non-Tommy footage. Some tracks appear to be on both parts so maybe they have two sources for those tracks.

The main Coliseum feature should be as least as good as Young Man Blues on TKAA DVD - that clip makes my heart race a little faster every time I see it - and the bonus Tommy stuff should be as good as the clip of I'm Free that you can find on YouTube. The audio should be sterling in both cases.

On the down side there is a rumour floating around that it will retail for one hundred English pounds. Don't know about you but I'm only willing to go as high as ninety-five. ( :: wink ::)

Really looking forward to this and will post more details if I hear anything.

Forgot to mention that there is also a 2CD set of "The Who Sell Out" due in early 2009. It's supposed to be stereo and mono versions plus the bonus tracks from the 1995 remaster and some additional unreleased stuff from that period. Don't know any more than that at the mo.

Forgot to mention that there is also a 2CD set of "The Who Sell Out" due in early 2009. It's supposed to be stereo and mono versions plus the bonus tracks from the 1995 remaster and some additional unreleased stuff from that period. Don't know any more than that at the mo.

I'm pretty excited about this, this is such a quality album and there needs to be a better CD release of it.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...SHvtLr8YIOBc%3D

A tip of the hat to Detroit from the Who

Concert earnings will go to 2 area charities

BY MARTIN BANDYKE • FREE PRESS SPECIAL WRITER • October 19, 2008

Key British invasion quartet the Who has soldiered on since the deaths of drummer Keith Moon in 1978 and bassist John Entwistle in 2002. Guitarist Pete Townshend and vocalist Roger Daltrey are carrying on as the two surviving founding members. After what was billed as a farewell tour in 1982, the band has continued to play sporadic live dates, but has released only one studio album in the last quarter-century: "Endless Wire," which came out two years ago.

Recently, the Free Press spoke to Daltrey about a special show the Who will do Tuesday at the Palace of Auburn Hills, one of only a handful of concerts slated for North America this fall. The band's rhythm section may not be as formidable now as in the days of Moon and Entwistle, but it won't be chopped liver either. Zak Starkey (Ringo Starr's son) will be featured on drums and veteran session player Pino Palladino will be on bass.

QUESTION: All of your earnings from the show at the Palace are being donated to Gleaners Food Bank and Focus: HOPE. How did this all come about?

ANSWER: The Detroit area was the first major U.S. city to latch on to our single "Can't Explain" back in '65. You know you gave us our first hit record, and since then, we've got this soft spot for Michigan. We know that Detroit is a bit on the blue-collar side, and that's where we come from. With the car industry going through a hard time, we want to pay back a bit to our fans there and help people get through winter. That's why.

Q: What are your memories of your greatest moments onstage here?

A: The first Who concert in the U.S., where we played a whole show as opposed to doing just a few songs, was in Ann Arbor (June 14, 1967, at the Fifth Dimension Club, according to the Who's official Web site). That was our first real appearance in the States. We also did a great gig that year at the Southfield High School.

Q: And how about those legendary shows at the Grande Ballroom?

A: Yeah, I remember the Grande! I can still see it now: Joe Cocker was often our support act, and it was a really good place to play. I can't remember what I did yesterday, but I still remember the Grande. U.S. audiences generally take music a whole lot more seriously than in the U.K. and the rest of Europe. It's more an ingrained part of life than in England, where it's much more throwaway.

Q: There's been talk of the Who recording an album of R&B covers. What's happening with that?

A: Yeah, it's still on the burner, but it might just end up on our Web site. We loved Motown, and we would copy those songs and any others if they were good. We were English, and we were white. But we knew where the center of the music came from. The idea is perhaps to revisit that now and play it like we used to play it when we were 17 or 18. We'd love to do it, but don't know quite what the market would be for that kind of project these days.

Q: You and Pete Townshend will receive this year's Kennedy Center Honors, along with Barbra Streisand, Twyla Tharp, Morgan Freeman and George Jones. What was your reaction when you got the news?

A: I mean I was totally stunned! For someone from our background, from London and totally inspired by American music, to be honored by the country that inspired you was extremely humbling and an honor indeed.

Q: Any final thoughts for your many fans in Detroit?

A: The bad times in Detroit won't last forever. Never bet against the working class; they just need some relief right now. I really do believe in the blue-collar side of America. They're resilient and tough, but need inspiration from people in power to make things happen. Basically, your auto industry needs rethinking and rebuilding, but the possibilities there are quite promising.

Posted by Susan Whitall on Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 3:36 PM

The Who...live and loud tonight

When I interviewed Roger Daltrey a few weeks ago, the first thing I told him was that whenever anyone has to speak louder or repeat themselves for me, I say, "The Who, Pontiac Silverdome ..." Was that '75? It was loud. I'm happy I saw the Who several times with Keith Moon on drums, but oh my ...I remember my ears ringing for days after that show. Daltrey's laughing response, "Was it that loud? I couldn't tell on stage." I can tell you, I didn't have to repeat one word to Daltrey, so his hearing is intact, although I know Pete Townshend's had issues. Tonight's show at the Palace will mean a payday for two Detroit charities, Focus: HOPE and Gleaners Food Bank, thanks to Daltrey and Townshend's gratitude to Michigan for its support of the Who

Edited by Bong-Man

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...220412/1032/ENT

The Who pay back Detroit with rousing show

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Susan Whitall

The Who kicked off a mini-tour of the United States with an energetic show at The Palace of Auburn Hills on Tuesday night, despite having just stepped off a trans-Atlantic flight. It might have been eminently more sober than their many gigs at the Grande Ballroom in the banner year of 1967, but the effect on the audience was as potent (if not mind-altering).

In his more dignified middle age, Roger Daltrey has reverted to the short-cropped, tailored Mod look of his youth, and it suits him. His voice is a throwback as well, with the strong, bright tone he had as a youngster. Daltrey is a master of the controlled yell, and if he's missing any notes on the upper end of his register, we didn't notice.

Wearing the darkest of sunglasses, Pete Townshend is the hopped-up middle-age punk, his arm windmilling over his Stratocaster as he chopped out those familiar magnetic riffs, each of which sparked an emotional memory.

There were a few first-night bumps -- Townshend had to stop strumming right at the beginning of "Pinball Wizard" to change guitars, and Daltrey broke a tambourine (not on purpose), then had to leave the stage at one point to retrieve his own guitar -- but the audience didn't mind.

They are one of the most quintessentially British groups, but The Who bonded with southeastern Michigan in the late '60s, and the bond is steadfast. The members donated their take from the show to two Detroit charities, Gleaners Food Bank and Focus: HOPE, because they wanted to give back to a community where they tasted their first American success, Daltrey said.

The 11,000 paid customers at the Palace will provide a nice shot in the arm for two charities that will be hard-pressed to help people this winter.

"We had our first hit record out of Detroit," Townshend said between songs. "I forget the radio station that played it, but it was a funny little record called 'Happy Jack' in 1967. We got the hit here, and then it spread all over the place."

Townshend also bragged that the best car he ever owned was a Lincoln Continental, "built right here in Detroit."

He recalled that "a guy from the MC5" attended their first Detroit gig, which drew "about 10 people. Maybe 20."

"Then I just found out that we played Southfield High School that year, too," Townshend said, to screams. "That's why we're here," he added at the end of his Detroit tribute. Modestly, they didn't mention that they were donating their fee.

Other musical highlights: "5:15," which had the audience dancing and the band jumping (despite Townshend's complaints of jet lag), "Love Reign O'er Me," "Behind Blue Eyes," "Eminence Front" and "Won't Get Fooled Again."

Townshend's elegiac chord changes, rising majestically, on "Listening to You" at the end of the "Tommy" segment, are a reminder of how, at their best, The Who have always been a communal experience, one that not only entertains, but elevates.

You can reach Susan Whitall at (313) 222-2156 or swhitall@detnews.com.

I was laying on the couch last nite about 10pm....half asleep, when the phone rang. I've been dealing with some parental health issues lately, so when the phone rings at night I cringe. I picked it up and couldn't for the life of me figure out what I was listening to. Turned out someone (don't know Who yet), decided to call me from the show and give me a bit of a sample of what I was missing.

F*ckers....."LONG LIVE ROCK" !! :)

It was an absolutely brilliant show. I was expecting nothing but the best (given that I was driving 8 hours to get there) and absolutely surpassed everything I thought it would be. See them on this tour.

Glad you enjoyed yourself in Motown. You must have drove 8 hours straight into the I-75 construction zone by The Palace during rush-hour. :( How was Wilco ?

They were originally advertised as the warm-up band, but I guess that changed.

Really? Fuck... major trade drown to this Inward Eye crap that's been opening. They sounded like a little bit of Green Day and a little bit of Fall Out Boy... Yikes. Seeing Wilco and the Who at the same show would have made my year.