The Who Thread

blackdog

• 2 weeks later...

Wow...so many amazing Who gigs, but the top shows in terms of sound *AND* performance:

Fillmore East 4/6/68

Amsterdam 9/29/69

Live at Leeds Complete 2/14/70

Dayton, OH 8/13/71

San Francisco 12/13/71

Young Vic 4/26/71

Philly 12/4/73

Landover 12/6/73

Charlton 5/18/74

Houston 11/20/75

Springfield 12/1/75

Toronto 12/11/75

Kansas City 12/1/75

New York 3/11/76

Boston 4/1/76

Charlton 5/31/76

Swansea 6/12/76

Toronto 10/21/76 (last ever gig in North America with Moon)

12/15/77 Kilburn (not the best show but still damn good...2nd to last show ever with Moon)

There are many more but these are the ones that are at the top of the list...

Wow...so many amazing Who gigs, but the top shows in terms of sound *AND* performance:

Fillmore East 4/6/68

Amsterdam 9/29/69

Dayton, OH 8/13/71

San Francisco 12/13/71

Young Vic 4/26/71

Philly 12/4/73

Landover 12/6/73

Charlton 5/18/74

Houston 11/20/75

Springfield 12/1/75

Toronto 12/11/75

Kansas City 12/1/75

New York 3/11/76

Boston 4/1/76

Charlton 5/31/76

Swansea 6/12/76

Toronto 10/21/76 (last ever gig in North America with Moon)

12/15/77 Kilburn (not the best show but still damn good...2nd to last show ever with Moon)

There are many more but these are the ones that are at the top of the list...

Thanks!

Tanglewood is in the highest echelon of Who performances.

Yep...just about as good (and different from) as Leeds...

Have you heard the tracks from San Francisco 12/13/71 on View From a Backstage Pass? Holy crap, the sound is phenomenal...best live version of Bargain EVER!

Fillmore East 4/6/68

Amsterdam 9/29/69

Young Vic 4/26/71

Philly 12/4/73

Houston 11/20/75

I've never claimed to be a Who completist, but I have the above shows. Right now I'm listening to the Amsterdam 9-29-69 show.

Sounds superb! Keith Moon is perfect for The Who. He's busy and brings a jazz feel, like Mitch Mitchell brought to the Experience.

I've never claimed to be a Who completist, but I have the above shows. Right now I'm listening to the Amsterdam 9-29-69 show.

Sounds superb! Keith Moon is perfect for The Who. He's busy and brings a jazz feel, like Mitch Mitchell brought to the Experience.

That Amsterdam show is a killer...there a few goofs during Tommy but overall it's awesome.

Little bit of trivia...when running up the stairs to go onstage at the beginning of the show, Moon tripped and fell and bloodied himself pretty badly...still played the entire show. This is a guy who played some gigs in 1969 with a BROKEN FOOT...just downed a LOAD of pills and played. The guy was a nut, but one of the best drummers ever!

That Amsterdam show is a killer...there a few goofs during Tommy but overall it's awesome.

Little bit of trivia...when running up the stairs to go onstage at the beginning of the show, Moon tripped and fell and bloodied himself pretty badly...still played the entire show. This is a guy who played some gigs in 1969 with a BROKEN FOOT...just downed a LOAD of pills and played. The guy was a nut, but one of the best drummers ever!

It has the first full performance of Tommy in an indoor setting. The concert hall is one normally reserved for classical and operatic shows. Pete Townsend says how Amsterdam more represents a 'complete' European city, than London. Something like that. He says he just likes it. :D

Moon rarely played a straight beat, more like a drummer with ADHD !

• 1 month later...

Just picked up the current issue of Mojo magazine with the Townshend cover (Daltrey has a seperate cover too).

Great article on "The Who Sellout" time period & a review of the newest reissue of that album. A must have issue for serious Who fans who love that period of the band (my personal favorite).

Just picked up the current issue of Mojo magazine with the Townshend cover (Daltrey has a seperate cover too).

Great article on "The Who Sellout" time period & a review of the newest reissue of that album. A must have issue for serious Who fans who love that period of the band (my personal favorite).

Yeah, I got that issue too. Sure a great read (and a great album :D ).