The Who Thread

blackdog

I saw The Who in Columbus on Feb. 17th, just a few days before this incident.

Pete was very gracious and thanked the audience for selling out the place during a down economy.

He did let loose a few "F Bombs" during his commentary at the end. Just typical Pete being Pete in my opinion.

Roger pretty much lost his voice at my concert. We could not even hear some of the vocals on "Love, Reign O'er Me". Just looked like he was mouthing the words. They did not sing "Tea and Theater" at the end as Roger's voice was shot.

The visuals were fantastic. The video of "The Ox" playing 5:15 was amazing! I loved how they included Entwistle and Moony in this performance of Quadrophenia.

Overall, an excellent concert and I am so thankful to have been able to see the living members of The Who. (I believe that they still are to be called The Who, just like the living members should still be called Led Zeppelin, IMHO.)

I also read Pete's autobiography.

My opinion of it is that it is Pete's way of explaining his side of things for which he has gotten bad press for in the past, such as punching out members of the audience. I don't think that it revealed his true soul as much as did Eric Clapton's autobiography did. I thought it was just full of excuses for Pete's past and future (like the incident on Feb. 19th) behavior.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Daltrey explains that while some people voiced a preference for Led Zeppelin over The Who back in the '70s, that was because Zeppelin's music is "easier on the ear in a way," and "a little bit more commercial."

Meanwhile, he says the energy that used to come out from a Who concert was terrifying. Roger adds that the only thing The Who should perhaps apologize for is the haircuts.

Come on Roger come up with reason than that to pull the zepp reference out of thin air

http://www.lonestar925.com/articles/rock-news--104703/the-whos-daltrey-boasts-the-band-11397496/

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Well I've had all this week dedicated to listening to the Led Zeppelin two CD deluxe editions loving every minute of them, but this coming Monday the 9th of June it will be time for a change.

This will be the day when I finally get to hear The Who's finest moment the whole of Quadrophenia on a pure audio Blu-Ray disc in 5.1 surround sound. A while back we had a teaser of eight tracks in 5.1 on the Quadrophenia super deluxe release, which was great but now at last the surround mix will be complete.

The Quadrophenia 5.1 is only one disc in five disc set the other discs being a Blu-Ray film of The Who performing Quadrophenia in London, a two CD set and DVD of the same live show also, a thirty two page booklet all in a ten inch tin replicating a Vespa scooter headlight with some other bollox crap thrown in, a button badge, a sticker (useless crap).

The Who have done the surround sound thing twice now with this and Tommy which was done years ago.

This only leads me to think when the fuck Jimmy Page is going to give the Zeppelin catalogue the surround sound treatment, 'tis long overdue, when the current reissue campaign was announced some eighteen months or so ago 5.1 was what I expected, somehow though I doubt JP could be arsed doing it.

• 1 month later...

I've been a fan since Tommy. I was nine years old when it was released; too young to discern Tommy's themes but I loved the songs. I used to sing along when they played on the radio that summer. IMO, that's what makes Pete Townshend a genius. He's a great lyricist with witty lyrics that tell a story. Take one of The Who's earliest songs, Substitute. In it he tells of a girl who he knows is only dating him because he's a pop star even though he knows his trappings of success are mostly illusion. Or the mini rock opera, A Quick One While He's Away, about a lonely young woman who succumbs to an older man while her lover is out of town. However, as clever as the lyrics are, you don't need to understand them to enjoy the songs. The melodies, harmony, and arrangements are that good.

As great as Townshend is, the rest of the Who weren't just his sideman. Roger Daltrey, John Entwhistle and Keith Moon all helped shape the band's distinctive sound and stage act. Daltrey doesn't have the best voice in rock but nobody interprets Townshend's songs as well he does; not even Townshend himself. I should add that I don't have a problem with Townshend and Roger Daltrey continuing to call themselves The Who. Daltrey founded the band and Townshend wrote the majority of their songs. What else should they call themselves?

Edited by Disco Duck

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I love The Who, ecpecially the early mod and r'n'b stuff.

Unfortunatly I missed them when they went over here with the Quadrophenia tour in the late 90's, would've loved to seen that.

The Who's 2012/2013 Quadrophenia tour was even better than that one, even without John Entwistle. I didn't think that could be possible, since Quadrophenia is an Entwistle tour de force.

The Who were a really good band who wrote some really good songs and could have been the biggest in the world.

They also went out of there way to limit there audience by looking down on blue collar kids as witnessed by the band's laughter, and smiles as they kicked, destroyed, and smashed there instruments to bits with such disgusting glee in front of kids who most likely had to take the bus to a gig, and the same kids who just wanted to be able to afford a guitar. Because of that, The Who will always be nothing more but a foot note in my music book.

The Who were a really good band who wrote some really good songs and could have been the biggest in the world.

They also went out of there way to limit there audience by looking down on blue collar kids as witnessed by the band's laughter, and smiles as they kicked, destroyed, and smashed there instruments to bits with such disgusting glee in front of kids who most likely had to take the bus to a gig, and the same kids who just wanted to be able to afford a guitar. Because of that, The Who will always be nothing more but a foot note in my music book.

Destroying instruments with laughter, smiles and glee? I've been a Who fan for over twenty years, seen lots of classic footage of them destroying instruments, but never with laughter, smiles and glee. Always with intensity, sometimes with anger, often as the climax to My Generation. It's rock theater and it's thrilling. They bought those instruments and they can do whatever they like with them. Considering how much they've donated to charity, they can't be accused of selfishness.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...