The Who Thread

blackdog

Seriously? Live footage doesn't equal live, in your face live...

Exactly! Live footage is fun to watch but is no comparison to the real thing.

I've never seen Zep live, but I know how good they were! ;)

Yes. And just imagine how much better they were if you were witnessing their performance live, in person!! You've heard the accounts from folks who were there, the energy was incredible. You could never get the full effect from just watching footage. But for you and me, that's all we have. ;)

I've never seen Zep live, but I know how good they were! ;)

Do you really think watching the Earl's Court DVD is anywhere near as good as being there in person? Not gonna try to convince you anymore - after all I've seen plenty of Primus live performances on DVD and pay per view and they suck! ;)

:lol:

Do you really think watching the Earl's Court DVD is anywhere near as good as being there in person? Not gonna try to convince you anymore - after all I've seen plenty of Primus live performances on DVD and pay per view and they suck! ;)

:lol:

Well yea, everyone knows Primus sucks! ;)

I would rather have been at the Albert Hall show than Earls Court anyways. B)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm actually going shopping for albums by The Who tomorrow. I have decided to ignore my total distaste of them smashing instruments and focus on just the music. Still not sure about it all, but I might as well dip a toe in the water. 

Well, don't get "The Kids are Alright", then. I remember one of the best songs ends with an extremely long smashing session, which had me running to the turntable to lift the needle!

• 2 weeks later...

which Who albums did you pick up CJW...

glad you enjoyed " Who Are You " ...

A number of people on the forum have suggested that I put my dislike of The Who smashing instruments aside and give them a listen in more detail. I knew all of the songs because they are forever on the radio, I just never bothered to buy an album because of how they acted while on stage. Anyways, I put it aside and bought the fucking album and do like the running order of it. I'm actually planning on buying more of them. My son was like, "hey dad that's the band you dislike isn't it?" I just smiled and put it on the car on the way home, he likes that I suffer from foot in mouth disease sometimes...

A number of people on the forum have suggested that I put my dislike of The Who smashing instruments aside and give them a listen in more detail. I knew all of the songs because they are forever on the radio, I just never bothered to buy an album because of how they acted while on stage. Anyways, I put it aside and bought the fucking album and do like the running order of it. I'm actually planning on buying more of them. My son was like, "hey dad that's the band you dislike isn't it?" I just smiled and put it on the car on the way home, he likes that I suffer from foot in mouth disease sometimes...

you`ll be in the same class as I with the foot in mouth disease...the Who are class act. 

^^LOL Charles. I hated the smashing of instruments as well, but the MUSIC is some of the best:-)

If you have Showtime this is on starting Dec 4th:

The Who: Live in Hyde Park | Official Trailer | Showtime Documentary

thanks for the vid`s...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Exactly! Live footage is fun to watch but is no comparison to the real thing.

Yes. And just imagine how much better they were if you were witnessing their performance live, in person!! You've heard the accounts from folks who were there, the energy was incredible. You could never get the full effect from just watching footage. But for you and me, that's all we have. ;)

These are tracks I filmed so I was seeing the real thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZwFfh2ZJFE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39qjPeX7tjo

• 2 months later...

I was around seven years old the first time I heard The Who on the radio.  The song in question was I Can See For Miles.   I've been a fan of their music every since.  One of my biggest regrets is that I didn't see them live while Keith Moon was sill living.  In addition to all of the great music, I admire the way Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend seem to have made their peace with one another.