blackdog

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

sz300_the-who-los-angeles-sports-arena-los-angeles-ca-usa-1980-06-27-1aa858.jpg.e629c9a9d00074d8b4e4756b08d24bb0.jpg

Saturday night June 28, 1980. 1980 was a year when giants walked the earth. Already that year I had seen Tom Petty, Pink Floyd, ZZ Top, The Eagles, Rush, and The Clash as they rolled through Los Angeles. In June The Who were playing a week at the Forum and Sports Arena. After that, Queen were due in town in July, Fleetwood Mac in August, AC/DC and Van Halen in September, Bruce Springsteen in October, and the buzz was that Led Zeppelin was going to hit the U.S. later that year. I had graduated high school and had the rest of the year off before reporting for service.
I was only able to score tickets to the very last show of the Who's week-long stand. It would prove to be the only Who concert I saw with Kenny Jones on drums. I was out of the country for the 1982 U.S. tour and Kenny Jones was gone by the Who's 1989 reunion.
In retrospect, Kenny Jones wasn't that bad. Sure, he wasn't the flamboyant character and kinetic force of nature that Keith Moon was, but he was steady in the pocket.
And, to be honest, the two times I saw the Who with Keith Moon...1973 at the Forum and 1976 at Anaheim Stadium...weren't exactly earth-shattering. Unlike the Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin, The Who never blew my mind in concert. They never lived up to the expectations I had after hearing "Live at Leeds" and watching "Monterey Pop" and "Woodstock". It seems The Who's live peak was 1969-1971.
This particular night at the Sports Arena in 1980 was pretty good, though. Probably the best overall Who concert I saw.

• 1 month later...

The Who launches 'Join Together @ Home' Series Of Special Performances Streaming Worldwide:

Commencing this weekend, The Who, in collaboration with with YouTube will launch a six-week celebration of their incredible live performances.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/the-who-launches-join-together-home-series-of-special-performances-streaming-worldwide/

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Greetings. I don't know if this has been covered in the preceding 29 pages of this thread but I just heard a great one on Twitter from Julian Cope's wife, Dorian, who was a massive Who fan as a teenager in the '70s. She says that when Zep split after Bonzo died, she was really jealous of their decision not to continue compared to The Who's decision to bring in Kenny Jones and their subsequent career. I'd never considered that angle, the jealousy of a difficult artistic choice which left so many people bereft of any future Zeppelin but which kept the magic, mystery and aura of the band intact. And being frustrated with your favourite band for actually continuing past the death of their drummer!

Anyhoo, that's your fan trivia news today. Stay safe folks.

More Monterey memories.

Ravi Shankar:Then,The Who followed,started kicking the drums and breaking their instruments.I was very hurt and ran away from there along with the others who play with me.My feelings were hurt deeply,as well as my respect for music and the instruments.We ran away from the festival.rav.thumb.jpg.5b9d1a45d87a2d99daa16cd0e6f1f5e8.jpgravi.jpg.b3a971c86d5666281b7592587c73abd1.jpg

• 1 month later...